Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

lots of games yesterday! in addition to duke kansas one other thing that stands out to me is st mary's beating wisconsin in sioux city south dakota, of all places, in overtime. i always kinda like the gaels. also penn beat alabama lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it's so random but i guess sioux falls is a regional metropolis. i've seen that SANFORD PENTAGON around before like you mention, they get games, so who am i to judge

in one of these threads i was told that these sanford people are the richest family around, so everything in sioux falls is named after them

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i completely missed that there was a division I team named california baptist university. apparently they're out in riverside, and they're in the venerable WAC. good for them i guess???

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

back before tony bennett had good players we would play awful basketball games all the time. it's one of those things you need to be ironic about if you're going to stay sane, to hyperbolize

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

retrievers, purple aces, penny hardaway moving a family 1500 miles, you gotta love college basketball

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

elentar posted:

The best part of the first two months of the season is looking at the non-D1 schools that lovely D1 schools schedule as guarantee games to actually get a home game this time of year. For instance, VMI won 96-20 tonight against Christendom College which, if you're blissfully aware, was founded in the 70s on the explicit basis of being a US institution promoting the thought of pro-Franco Catholic fascist Brent Bozell. They have almost 500 students in the whole school, refuse federal funding so they're not subject to Title IX, and have completely sex-segregated dorms, so sounds like a good opponent to take on!

cultish organization with a basketball team? reminds me of the jonestown basketball team. they escaped the massacre because they were losing to the guyanese national team! at least i assume it was a loss, nobody ever talks about the result. i remember watching a game with university of san diego in it when they had the grandson of jim jones playing, like 12 years ago

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for looking that up. so they weren't the Guyanese version of a cupcake! good for them

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the heuristic they use for the rankings - up if win, down if lose - is so dumb for a week of college basketball. love it

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

maybe I'm biased but I think the UMBC one in the tournament, a 16 beating a 1, was the biggest upset of the decade

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

"Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis" is a great sequence of words, really one of the best.

that every-possible-male-insecurity-ailment-from-limpdick-to-receding-hairline company roman is sponsoring a tournament, i thought that was a pretty hilarious one. it's basically one step removed from RhinoHorn69 Tournament of Champions Classic Presented By Exploitasaurus Bay, Banana Republic

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

im here to say gently caress maryland, but not as unstably as i would've said it 15 years ago for those that might remember

the fake rivalry maryland made up gives me what used to be two games a year to root for duke, but now maryland is big ten country so

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

things are fairly cool and good this season so far tbh

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

uva lost to boston college - i bet we won't be ranked next week. it doesn't hurt too much this year to me, though

speaking of low-ranked teams losing, penn state lost to rutgers

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

pitt just beat unc - perhaps more surprising is that they snapped a like 22-game ACC road losing streak in doing so. how did unc get so bad? they're 8-7 (1-3) now.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

fun to see number 12 Maryland lose by about 20 at Iowa, chaos reigns

efb

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this season is great, I like the unraveling of UNC, don't even hate em but the blue bloods losing is always fun

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I feel like the mid majors have just enough what I'd call political support to avoid giving that many bids to the big conferences. after all, a few of the ten teams will have losing records which invites that whole conversation and generally in the chaos year I assume we'll have deserving candidates in the lower conferences

this is the advantage of having a Byzantine selection system instead of using performance based metrics from last year to give each league its NCAA and nit tournament quotas, we get to talk about this poo poo. a quota system running throughout the season changing from week to week like the bcs would be great, though

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i know, my world is rocked by that news. the big ten just reprimanded someone! publicly!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the Marist red foxes defy thee

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

apparently 3 ranked big east teams lost today, plus one other i believe. more madness

also I saw the headline that most of the big ten is now supporting one time no sitting out a year transfers? I assume the NCAA's losing a lawsuit or something and wants to salvage part of their petty tyranny over the players instead of just allowing unlimited transfers?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

looks like there's games on CBS (Michigan Indiana) cbssn and ESPN now

e Iowa Minnesota is the kenpom game of the day looks like and it's on FS1

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah the score is uh impressive

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

#6 Florida St already lost too. maybe the hoos can beat #7 Duke? probably not

edit: some Duke loving happened

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 1, 2020

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I was thinking of doing a multi bracket challenge for all the conference tournaments like I did a decade or so ago, once, but it looks like it's too late

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it happens with some regularity in European soccer, the ultras still get in. I anticipate that big time donors and other connected people will magically get pr team credentials or whatever and will be very visible on the broadcast

I'm going if they let me though, they're playing in my town

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i seem to recall that a few of the boosters still got in, but what i've seen in other countries suggests that they're taking this more seriously than when games are played with closed doors for other reasons

espn also told me that the big west tournament is being played without spectators and the ivy league tournament is canceled

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

my dumb rear end was saying i'd be attending the ncaa first round like two pages ago, naturally. not so much any more

what am i gonna watch on tv though???? clearly i am the real victim here

e :synpa:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

did they suspend it for a week?

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Schremp Howard posted:

Of all the teams for forum favorite Auburn to lose to, of course it would be Liberty.

thank God (I assume God hates them) that they didn't get to have the spotlight. it's too bad they finished their conference tournament

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

wow, never heard of Tarleton State before. I guess they're getting their name out there. small colleges are getting slammed by the current situation financially, aren't they? I wonder if any of the 351ish d I teams will eventually drop out

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I'm assuming empty stadiums will be the norm for a while after they start playing again, just in general across sports. how long a while is, well that's a good question. guess we'll find out

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

college football could benefit from the 'conference games only' model we're discussing for basketball here, get rid of some of the cupcake games (and further gently caress with small schools' academics I suppose, since they wouldn't kill the football team when the football team doesn't make money...) and let the brain splattering happen against conference opponents only. too bad the conferences are so bloated these days

of course we'd lose national treasures like that Chick-fil-A season opener game, but sacrifices must be made

the prognosticators would have lots of angry fun trying to figure out who the gently caress is good in both sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this is gonna be so bad but virginia are still defending champs

what if they downsized the ncaa tournament, is that being discussed? they would have a better chance of making it through and getting their final four money then