Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I did a gravel race in a pretty nice looking place. I wasn’t fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Steve French posted:

I did a gravel race in a pretty nice looking place. I wasn’t fast.

Telluride is gorgeous. That race/event is on my list for 2024 or 2025, just to have an excuse to spend the weekend there again. You do the full course or the short one? Short one is crazy enough.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 12, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wheres this

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Lookout mountain in Bellingham, WA

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Any recommendations on trails not too far from Philly?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Telluride is gorgeous. That race/event is on my list for 2024 or 2025, just to have an excuse to spend the weekend there again. You do the full course or the short one? Short one is crazy enough.

I did the full course. It wasn't quite as much climbing as was billed, (I recorded ~9.5k rather than ~10.5k), but it was pretty long and tough. Very smooth, though, not one of those courses where you feel like you're underbiked. Gravel bike was definitely fine on all of it. I'd recommend it for sure, with the caveat that one bummer of it was that the route provided didn't actually fully match the course, it had some sections on the road when the actual course that wasn't that clearly marked took some single track near the road, and as a result some top finishers were disqualified.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9241721393

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Had a big day out doing the Frontier 300 yesterday:

Was a pretty great route taking in 150k of off-road and 150km of road. The off-road was a mixture of stuff with some single track but mostly forest fire roads, which is pretty good as UK gravel goes. Started at 0415 and finished at 2330 so was a pretty big day out, we had quite a few stops due to friends mechanicals and stops at feed zones.

There was a pretty grim section of hike a bike that was about 20-30 minutes long. Some of the fire roads were worse than others, definitely appreciated the road sections in between!

Thanks to whoever recommended Terra Speeds, the 45mm ones were perfect for this. Kept up good speeds on tarmac but comfy enough on the rough stuff.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Goddamn that is epic.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I rode a new gravel bicycle today. Hooray! Quick shakeout ride this morning, earlier than I usually get out (it's cold here in the mornings) and got some ground fog after thunderstorms yesterday afternoon. Dirt was fantastic.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Steve French posted:

I rode a new gravel bicycle today. Hooray! Quick shakeout ride this morning, earlier than I usually get out (it's cold here in the mornings) and got some ground fog after thunderstorms yesterday afternoon. Dirt was fantastic.

Oh man, gorgeous!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steve French posted:

Beautiful pics and handsome bike

aba
Oct 2, 2013

Gravel is fun even when it's not really gravel, right?

And that cat is not mine, he was just lying in the middle of the road like a boss awaiting somebody to pet him.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

gravel* so good

i need a smaller chainring and bigger tires

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 3, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I got wet and tired and it was worth it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was riding on gravel and got going at a good clip. The handling got squirrelly so I slowed down a little. Everything was fine.

Then I went onto dirt and the traction was great, till I hit deep, loose dust on a straightaway and the bike just slipped out from under me like a cartoon character had yanked on it with a cane.

The bike is fine, but I have painful road rash.

I’m sorry that I cheated on you, gravel.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Did a local gravel shakedown ride of my old CX bike turned gravel bike today, after replacing a bunch of components.

Feels a lot more playful and active than it used to, I think that's down to the new wheels and/or tires. Also the gravelking SS 38's really soak up coarse chip seal pavement and seem faster than the terrano dry's I was using previously. Was only a 40 km ride around flat roads, maybe 50% gravel, but super pleased with how it's turned out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I rode a gravel race this past Sunday, the 53 mile course of the FoCo Fondo in Fort Collins. It was tough because I missed the last 3ish weeks of training due to a bad cold, which definitely showed. But it was fun, dusty, and extremely hot for the last 20ish miles. None of these pictures are mine.

Immediately after going through the start gate, this jammed pretty much the whole pack up. I wish I'd just waited at the back, I got probably 15 minutes added to my chip time because of it.

This was an interesting challenge. We had ~3 miles of this lovely rutted goat trail. I could have ridden up all the ascents but when I was passing through it got so jammed with people just falling over and stopping unannounced to walk that I had to hike a bike for probably a mile. Descents were hairy, I got some nasty arm pump and there were water bottles and bags and lights yardsaled everywhere.

The majority of the course was this. Farm and county roads, lots of deceptively steep rolling hills. Some pretty fun descents as long as you stayed out of the deep gravel.

This is the only picture of me I found. Not any of the ones of me giving the horns to the camera or otherwise on a bike. Chugging a lovely beer at mile 47.

They had a couple pretty standard aid stations, but mile 47 was the "Oasis," which had a bar and some games and poo poo. New Belgium Brewing was a sponsor of the whole thing, and they really push the party animal atmosphere hard. It's pretty obnoxious, since they suck more and more as a brewery every day, but whatever.

Anyhow, will probably do it next year. I know dema rode the 118 miler, maybe he has some thoughts or experiences to share.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Found some gravel over the weekend with my partner, we only had half a day so it was a fairly relaxed 60 km with about 950m of climbing, maybe 50/50 gravel and tarmac.

I was carrying some ultralight trail panniers her bike bag company makes and they were great, I didn't have much in them as it was a short ride but I didn't even notice they were there while riding. Even pushing a reasonable speed into a stiff headwind I didn't notice any additional drag.

Perfect terrain and conditions for the Graveking SS tires I have on right now, they honestly feel like a road tire on sealed roads.

Absolutely perfect winter day in New Zealand, super green countryside due to all the rain we've had this year, if only the whole area didn't smell like cow poo poo due to all the dairy farms...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Been thinking about a certain loop for awhile, but wasn't sure how it connected. There's an old railroad grade up above the interstate through an area with no frontage road that I have seen other people ride on, but didn't know about a section with a supposedly closed off tunnel you had to hike around or how to get through what appeared to be private property at the end. It's also very far to ride from home, like 140ish mi total with a lot of forest road and climbing so I drove partway out there and started in a little town like 20mi away to make it shorter.

Got to the mystery section and it's actually a pretty nice road

And a park of some sort

I got to the tunnel and it wasn't blocked off so I went through

but had to walk across a lot of rocks at the other end. The go-around trail would have been easier I think

Then it was smooth sailing along the old railroad cut with a fence gate on the other end and no signs telling me i couldn't be there

clark fork river from the cyr bridge

there's a popular stretch of whitewater below here and a put in down on the bank

My loop was to climb fish creek road, which connects to highway 12, and then descend petty creek road, but without actually going to highway 12 because riding on that sucks and there's a forest road that connects the high points of the two. After a couple more miles on frontage road I got to fish creek

it's pretty nice dirt road along the creek. i saw 2 cars, one a forest ranger.

eventually you're away from the creek and climbing

like 23mi up fish creek and 14 more to the top of petty along wagon mountain road

cool road high up going along ridgelines

Technically I think this is in the bitterroot mountains but the main part of them I feel like goes from lolo peak, the tall one there, south along the edge of the valley. This is the "back" of them, they're a lot more dramatic on the other side

then I made it to petty creek road

we ride this one a lot. There's a bar a few miles down to the right that I was tempted to go to, but it would have meant climbing back over. 13ish miles downhill to alberton. Almost ran into these sheep because I was tired and out of water and just plugging along with my head down

Got to alberton, had a coke and a twix bar and some candy and refilled my bottles for the last 10-15 miles back to frenchtown. got bbq and ate it at a brewery

https://www.strava.com/activities/9609896000

nice to get out and do something new after what seems like a whole summer of riding the same places. I try to avoid driving to ride but eventually you get a little tired of all the same things.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 9, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:spiritofgravel:

Feawen
May 12, 2023

jamal posted:

Been thinking about a certain loop for awhile, but wasn't sure how it connected. There's an old railroad grade up above the interstate through an area with no frontage road that I have seen other people ride on, but didn't know about a section with a supposedly closed off tunnel you had to hike around or how to get through what appeared to be private property at the end. It's also very far to ride from home, like 140ish mi total with a lot of forest road and climbing so I drove partway out there and started in a little town like 20mi away to make it shorter.

~post~

Lord have mercy this sounds (and looks) like the absolute perfect adventure

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It is C O R N . T U N N E L season my dudes.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Feawen posted:

Lord have mercy this sounds (and looks) like the absolute perfect adventure

Yeah what an awesome area to explore. Thanks for the post jamal

Went for my first gravelly ride in a while, the heather is all in bloom which made the nature reserves extra pretty

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It is C O R N . T U N N E L season my dudes.

Only half corn for me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scrabbled some grabble today, first proper ride in almost a month, I was getting withdrawals

:sun:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Graveling. What a day. Some truly hellacious conditions.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Graveling. What a day. Some truly hellacious conditions.

What size front ring are running? 42?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

What size front ring are running? 42?

I have a 44t and a 40t depending on the race. That’s the 40t. Generally ok but I ran out of gears on the really absurdly steep and loose poo poo.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Can anyone recommend some tough 650b tires? I’ve tried Panaracer’s Gravel Kings tubeless twice now, and both times I’ve gotten a cut that won’t seal less than a week into using them.

I’m doing around 10-20 miles a day, mostly on the road with some trails. I keep the tires at around 40 PSI. I’m using Stan’s sealant. Maybe I’m doing something wrong? Maybe it’s just bad luck. Any thoughts?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm using WTB Horizons with the SG2 / extra TPI stuff. I ride over glass a lot in my neighborhood and haven't had any issues with these

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

40psi seems pretty high tbh

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Prairie Bus posted:

Can anyone recommend some tough 650b tires? I’ve tried Panaracer’s Gravel Kings tubeless twice now, and both times I’ve gotten a cut that won’t seal less than a week into using them.

I’m doing around 10-20 miles a day, mostly on the road with some trails. I keep the tires at around 40 PSI. I’m using Stan’s sealant. Maybe I’m doing something wrong? Maybe it’s just bad luck. Any thoughts?

What's your tire width? How did you settle on 40 PSI for your tires?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

specialized sawtooth? I got a pair when specialized had them on sale for $12 each. I can't really comment because I haven't set them up yet, but they are certainly a beefier tire than gravelkings

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Slavvy posted:

40psi seems pretty high tbh

what if you weigh 200 lbs

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Clark Nova posted:

specialized sawtooth? I got a pair when specialized had them on sale for $12 each. I can't really comment because I haven't set them up yet, but they are certainly a beefier tire than gravelkings

I'm using these in 46 mm with WTB yellow tape and Orange sealant. I haven't had any punctures yet, but also no issues with leakage. I've had them in soft dry silt, hardpack singletrack, over rock gardens, deep gravel, rutty poo poo, sand, and even on pavement-only rides. Nothing to compare them to but I love them. Singletrack and rocky poo poo, they get good and sticky around 25 psi, and they're just fine on the road at 50 psi and up.

Never gotten a puncture or cut either despite going through nasty rocks and miles of highway shoulder with blown up retread and loose hardware and glass scattered about.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Mederlock posted:

What's your tire width? How did you settle on 40 PSI for your tires?

650x47cc. I looked at a chart online that said I should be between 35-45 PSI for my weight, but I don't really know what the gently caress I'm doing.

A MIRACLE posted:

what if you weigh 200 lbs

Yeah, I'm over 200.

Clark Nova posted:

Thanks, I'll look into these.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm using these in 46 mm with WTB yellow tape and Orange sealant. I haven't had any punctures yet, but also no issues with leakage. I've had them in soft dry silt, hardpack singletrack, over rock gardens, deep gravel, rutty poo poo, sand, and even on pavement-only rides. Nothing to compare them to but I love them. Singletrack and rocky poo poo, they get good and sticky around 25 psi, and they're just fine on the road at 50 psi and up.

Never gotten a puncture or cut either despite going through nasty rocks and miles of highway shoulder with blown up retread and loose hardware and glass scattered about.

Oh, that sounds incredible. I get a lot of punctures and it's so frustrating.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

If you're trying to minimize hassle, the Maxxis Re-fuse is a good bet. Not super fast rolling but real tough.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well I finally got brave enough to venture past all the gates and no trespassing signs onto the logging roads around here in Humboldt. Shoulda done this way sooner.

Can you not post pictures to awful app anymore

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I finally got brave enough to venture past all the gates and no trespassing signs onto the logging roads around here in Humboldt. Shoulda done this way sooner.

Can you not post pictures to awful app anymore

Yeah, it's the "Insert Imgur" butan

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why did the bike fall over