Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Spirit of Leaves today

Also saw some turkeys :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I rode gravel today. 40 solid miles followed by 30 party miles. A perfect day for it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
ride on dudes and ladies

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can't wait for the snow to melt to do some gravel again.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's winter in Montana, plus I've spent like 2 of the last 3 months in Canada, without a bike. So way too much running and some indoor riding and spin classes. Got out for a solid ride today and the rest of the week looks pretty good so my plan is to ride a lot more. I was on my road bike, but did go down a good amount of dirt for some reason. This time of year it's not very smart and I got things fairly muddy.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3132414556

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It's also winter in Tahoe, but you wouldn't know it

https://strava.app.link/tATDciM1q4

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’m still bummed that wheel/tire setup didn’t work on my bike, it looks so good.

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
Stopped being windy long enough for the Spirit of Gravel to show me the way to some sunshine.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Good morning gravel!

And then 150 miles later...
Good night gravel!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I rode gravel today. San Diego actually really sucks for gravel riding. Everything is really shale-y and either 15% uphill, or deep sandy desert wash. It's also hot and exposed everywhere. It's also broken up by pavement, so that you're rarely on dirt for more than 10 miles at a time. All y'alls rides with extended miles of smooth gravel double and single track make me jealous. Hell, even Orange County beats the SD gravel riding :(

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Crumps Brother posted:

Good morning gravel!

And then 150 miles later...
Good night gravel!

Big Spirit right here. You are crazy. And awesome.

(To be clear, all of you are awesome, but all-day-gravel is a special kind of awesome)

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Did my first gravel ride on my Clinton era bike, looks good feels good.

20 miles on gravel (and mud, cause it's been raining a lot).

Trying to make images happen but I'm in my phone and I don't post a lot so everybody keep your fingers crossed this shows up right

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
And on a headshock for double points. Legit awesome.

Welcome, brethren!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Stalizard posted:

Did my first gravel ride on my Clinton era bike, looks good feels good.

20 miles on gravel (and mud, cause it's been raining a lot).

Trying to make images happen but I'm in my phone and I don't post a lot so everybody keep your fingers crossed this shows up right

Not sure if I’m supposed to take you to dinner first or how this works, but I’d like to see the back end of that bichael.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Been getting out on the new bicheal a bit. Like today i took it to DQ for a blizzard

It was $100 canadian, with the racks and fenders. I got that bag recently for like $20 and didn't like how it fit any of my other bikes. Works good on here.

Needs:
new bars and stem
some cable and housing replacements and adjustments
some way to carry beer on the front rack
mini frame bag for 3rd triangle
maybe fewer chainrings

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 2, 2020

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Fantastic long ride yesterday on my new friend Farva.

This cockpit view with these colors and these 50c tires makes me happy. Turned out to be a great tire choice for today because most of the roads had been freshly regraded and chunky.

I like old random bridges.

And cows, naturally.

And rolling vistas

I don't always take a picture of my bike laying down. But when I do, it's in the middle of a gravel road.

Ride gravel, take pictures, and may the Spirit be with you always.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

How gross is that bag gonna get?

Sweet bicheal, sweet groad.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Just scoping out some apocalypse bugout sites...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Until I get some straight wheels for my cx bike and do a bunch of maintenance to the mtb I'm just riding road bikes right now. Also my shoe covers don't fit over my mtb shoes and it's been cold.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

More of the same today.

getting moderately annoyed that my bike winds up like this after every ride though

But much cleaner than yesterday.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 20, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

And just going to keep this up.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

New tires are pretty good

Should have some less lovely wheels next week, just waiting for a freehub to show up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://rivbike.tumblr.com/post/613681444461658112/who-rides-a-cheviot-susan-thomas-name-susan

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:allears:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Shelter in place order goes into effect tomorrow night for two weeks. But here in montana going outside to recreate and exercise is still ok. Maybe if this gets completely out of control and the hospitals are full of people with covid I will stop riding outside but until that possibly happens I don't see a good reason to not keep getting out. Today was kind of windy and rainy but a little warmer than yesterday.

We're also doing an "internet stage race" with a strava segment every two days. But times don't technically count, prizes are randomly drawn gift cards bought with donations from local businesses. Stage 1 was 5 $50 gift cards to a beer and wine tap room. There's like 3k in the fund right now which is pretty cool.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

jamal posted:

We're also doing an "internet stage race" with a strava segment every two days. But times don't technically count, prizes are randomly drawn gift cards bought with donations from local businesses. Stage 1 was 5 $50 gift cards to a beer and wine tap room. There's like 3k in the fund right now which is pretty cool.

I tried to do this with my team but nobody was interested :saddowns:

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

e.pilot posted:

I tried to do this with my team but nobody was interested :saddowns:

I tried to do this in the slack but no one was interested :(

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Exploring and Squares Explained
Some other BearPope folks turned me on to this thing and I gotta say it's really injected a boat load of gravel spirit straight in to my veins. The VeloSquares game plays very nicely with Iowa gravel. The explorer squares are almost exactly 1 mile x 1 mile. And if we take a look at a map of all the gravel roads in Iowa we see that with relatively flat terrain and lots and lots of farm land almost the entire state is divided by 1x1 mile square gravel roads.

With so many options available gravel riding can start to run in to the same problem as riding tarmac. You find the routes you like and you fall in to the habit of just riding those same roads all the time. Creating stupid looking routes to ride random gravel roads to fill in the squares that I didn't yet have is decent motivation to break the old habits. For me, at least, there was another side as well though. We have a couple different races around here that I signed up for that are cue sheet navigation only. The race directors obviously aren't out to screw you over or anything with regards to the route, but there's something to be said about not knowing exactly where you're going and just riding wherever the map takes you. These squares routes also seemed like a great way to sorta mentally train for that aspect as well. Some roads are perfect. Some roads have been recently serviced and are chunky as hell. Some roads could probably use some servicing and lord only knows what they look like. But none of that matters cuz you gotta do what the map says, after all. Just ride.

All in all it's pretty cool so I figured it's worth sharing to everyone.
Besides, if I wasn't playing the VeloSquares game I never would have found this cool bridge...

...and I never would have learned that Scotty's a whore.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 1, 2020

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I went to Santa Cruz last month and got to summon the Spirit of Gravel

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I rode some gravel today. It was nice.

(about 17 or so miles of it, nothing special)

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I got my fiancee to give gravel a second chance today. Things went much better this time around!

Also, I'm huge!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

SPIRIT OF GRAVEL CALLING ME

BUYING MORE BIKE BAGS

HELP

JK DON'T HELP

:getin:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I felt the Spirit in me today

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
East Bay grav

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Spirit of kitty yesterday.

And here's it's buddy whom I so rudely interrupted during dinner.

I actually saw the black cat first and I was sitting in the ditch trying to befriend it when the other one started trotting across the street behind me. That photo being at road level when it all happened was completely unplanned, but I liked the way it turned out.

Oh, and here's my bike I guess.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I don't know how many total miles of forest road there are near my house, but I know for sure that it's way more than I deserve.

This sign was not joking.

https://strava.app.link/3h3oBjrQL5

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I will forever be sad that wheel/tire combo didn't work on my bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Owns

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Steve French posted:

I don't know how many total miles of forest road there are near my house, but I know for sure that it's way more than I deserve.

Owns. How do the crests hold up and feel? I hear they aren't as stiff as other rims in its class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Honestly I don't really know. I'm not that attuned to that sort of thing, and the previous wheels on the bike were the stock 700c Stan's Grail (the Crests on the bike are 650b)