Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Buying bikes and bike parts in TYOOL 2022 is ridiculous. I've been waiting on a Ritchey outback for over a year, and now I'm second guessing myself constantly because I can't just throw money at it and get the decision over with. I have almost an entire bike worth of parts except for a frame and groupset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Walked out the front door, rode ~25 miles down the towpath, had a lovely night in the tent, and then rode home. First bikepacking overnighter, totally hooked, completely rules. I spent a lot of time doing backpacking in the past, and I love how low the barrier is for getting out bikepacking in comparison.

Need to order a tumbleweed t-rack. The drybag on the saddle hack worked but it was annoying, and I could really use the sides of the t-rack for more water. Other than that, the setup feels really nice. Loaded bikes feel great.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 30, 2023

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

What all did you manage to pack on that? Any cooking equipment?

Yep!
Handlebar bag has my cook system, two freezer bag meals, first aid and little essentials bag, sleep clothes, fresh socks/underwear, battery bank, usb cable, bonus snacks.
Feed bag has a bottle and snacks.
Frame bag upper has the full shelter, single pole is tucked between the top tube and the frame bag.
Frame bag lower has a 1L platypus, bike tool kit/pump/plugs, and tent stakes
Seat pack has the sleeping bag, static v2 pad, and an inflatable pillow.

Stuff moved around on the return trip but that's most of it. I actually work right off the towpath so I stopped in and refilled water and drank some coffee on the way home. I think any other trip I'd need more water and would be pretty tight on space. The fork cage is actually 3d printed, and I need to make another one so I can carry another liter on the other side.

Pot made out of a beer can (Zelph ridgeline), a little carbon wick alcohol stove with a built in stand (also made by Zelph), aluminum windscreen, a liteload towel as a hot pad and a cuben fiber stuff sack. I've got a couple thousand miles and about 12 years of backpacking on this general setup, but the stove has varied over the years. It's been an esbit tray stove, a remote fueled Minibull stove, penny stoves, catfood can stoves, etc. The lightest it's ever been is with esbit, and that was under 3oz total including a mini bic lighter.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 30, 2023

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Soft bottle, like a hydration pouch but smaller and without a hose. It's nice for shoving in places that are shaped sorta weird, and really good for extra bulk storage because they fold down really small when empty.