Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I can't believe I missed this thread. I love gravel or as we call it here, metal. My bike is my old steel SR, I've had it in many different configurations, but currently it is my off-road road-bike. 650b rim-brake wheels with some Schwalbe G-ones set up tubeless despite the rims being non-tubeless. 38mm was the widest I could go but they seem amazing so far.

I had a good ride with my sister the other day, she has a sick Kona Rove ST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Don't know what you mean by mud but Schwalbe G-one all-rounds come in 38mm and they have served me pretty well on uhh wet dirt and clay, not like actual mud though. They're fast too.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

jamal posted:

I forgot how the shifting is supposed to feel on this bike. Much better.

:nice:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

kimbo305 posted:

On one build, I went from 26x2.5 Hookworms at 1250g (each) to Extraterrestrials at 'only' 990g.
Even with extra tread pattern, it was like when Harrison Bergeron threw off his handicaps.

Lol I misread that as hubcaps at first and had to go read the plot on Wikipedia to make sure I was remembering things right

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Had a fairly muddy ride today, mostly nice gravel but some mucky farm tracks. A+ would recommend.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Crumps Brother posted:

Asking for a friend. Anyone have suggestions for a 650b x 38mm gravel tire? Apparently every single Rambler she's used has failed at the sidewall and I guess it's time for something different.

I really like my Schwalbe G-One tyres, they're the all-around ones. They wear quickly though.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

Riding somewhere far away by road then being able to explore even single track stuff fucken rules :sun: gravel is my favorite kind of riding I've decided

Depending on where you go, it can be an extra level of enjoyment when you can actually relax that you aren't going to get run over by some tiny-dicked rear end in a top hat in a ford ranger. I wish we had more stuff around here, mostly the gravel roads I can ride are shared either by logging trucks or fuckwits going too fast.

E: got any close pics of the bike? You said it was a surly of some kind.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

Yeah it's a surly straggler, I haven't got many close up pics for whatever reason

I had to change out the steerer for a much shorter one as the bike seemed to be set up for a person with orangutan arms (I am 190cm and I went from ~110mm to 65). The stock tyres are terrible, got replacements on the way, and the stock seat is mediocre but decent enough that I can take my time finding a replacement.

The brakes seem to have sintered pads and are pretty loud.

drat that looks really nice. Nice colour etc. What tyres are you getting?

For the brakes you could try resin pads but I think disc brakes are always noisy especially when you are riding in dust and wet.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Those kind of rides are the kind you look back on in a day or two like man that was dumb, but loving awesome too and you start planning another one:)

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

I still can't walk properly but that's already happening :negative:

Lol

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I actually remembered to take photos of my mixed ride today. Probably only 50% gravel but still enjoyed it. I was meeting a friend for a pint and lunch at the 40km mark which was very nice.

I did get into a bit of a situation when I overtook a guy on an mtb who was going slower than I was. I said "hello", did the thing where you have to speed up a bit so it's not awkward but I heard him get on my wheel so I would have felt like a dick if I slowed down, and ended up towing him for about 8 kms at a pace above what I was really happy maintaining, until we got to what must have been his house when he swung out and said "thanks heaps for the tow" and then turned into the driveway. Once he was out of sight I slowed down significantly and spent the next few kms trying to recover.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

amenenema posted:

Your bike rules and also that's the longest headtube I've ever seen. Are you super tall or is that just the geo of that frame??

I am pretty tall, not freakishly so but yeah it's just a big bike. Head tubes that length are what you get with old style steel frames with horizontal top tubes, as you go up a couple of sizes in seat tube length you have to go up in head tube length too. I normally ride a 63cm frame which has a head tube 220mm long.

But check out this one I bought a couple of months ago to fix up. 66cm seat tube and 245mm head tube.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

Is your pink bike on 27.5's?

It is, and they are wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
That bar tape is a real good match. Such a sick bike!