Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

British winter riding is basically gravel riding half the time. Had 150km of wet feet and potholes but also had an absolute blast.

My feet are still numb though, it was like 4 Celsius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Finally got a gravel bike, so took it out for a little explore this morning. Most fun I’ve had in ages. Had to ford a river, got very sideways on a bridle way a few times, excellent day out.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Doing a 300km gravel sportive-type thing in a few weeks. It's about 50:50 road:offroad, with the offroad looking to be mostly forest fire roads. Nothing too gnarly (from what I can tell - there's not much info on the route yet).

Tyre recommendations for something that will roll fast on the road sections but will be decent enough on the gravel sections still? I have 37mm Terreno Drys on my bike at the moment. The FAQ is recommending 40mm+.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Had a big day out doing the Frontier 300 yesterday:

Was a pretty great route taking in 150k of off-road and 150km of road. The off-road was a mixture of stuff with some single track but mostly forest fire roads, which is pretty good as UK gravel goes. Started at 0415 and finished at 2330 so was a pretty big day out, we had quite a few stops due to friends mechanicals and stops at feed zones.

There was a pretty grim section of hike a bike that was about 20-30 minutes long. Some of the fire roads were worse than others, definitely appreciated the road sections in between!

Thanks to whoever recommended Terra Speeds, the 45mm ones were perfect for this. Kept up good speeds on tarmac but comfy enough on the rough stuff.