Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
The spirit of gravel is inside of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Post last weekend grabble

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you are wearing cargo bibs, have a half frame pack, a handlebar bag, and are riding a drop bar bike with knobby tires, but only stay on pavement: are you grinding gravel?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I’d like to share another photo of a road covered in, well, dirt.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It’s Friday and I hope everyone has the spirit of gravel touch them deeply this weekend.

Maybe you can find a railroad grade road in the mountains that stretches for 20+ miles and then bomb back down.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

e.pilot posted:

Is that phantom canyon? I used to fly down that all the time.

Yep

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Praise be to grabble christ. Today was a good grabble day. 56 miles, 5600ft.

Drop bar suspension-less mountain bicycles forever and always.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I’m hoping I’ll be well enough to have the spirit of gravel completely fill my body this weekend.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
What a beautiful sanctuary to worship the grabble.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Stalizard posted:

Did my first gravel ride on my Clinton era bike, looks good feels good.

20 miles on gravel (and mud, cause it's been raining a lot).

Trying to make images happen but I'm in my phone and I don't post a lot so everybody keep your fingers crossed this shows up right

Not sure if I’m supposed to take you to dinner first or how this works, but I’d like to see the back end of that bichael.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I rode the best type of grabble this weekend.

The spirit was very strong.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Pissing off local land managers by breaking the rules will more likely lead to all bikes having access removed. You may hate the rules and think they are unfair, which is another discussion, but making matters worse right now will not help out anyone on 2 wheels IMO. Remember, regardless of if you have a motor or not, most all of the hikers hate us and would love for all wheels to go away. It would be better to be proactive in your communities to promote better acceptance of e-bikes if it's change you'd like to see.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Off road road biking was the original grabble. You’re both doing it right.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The argument about hikers vs riders is that if there are puddles usually a bike will blast right through it (assuming they reasonably know the trail) vs hikers usually circling around puddles creating wider spots. Definitely agree on trail maintenance being important especially for multi-use.

Cyclists are really bad at riding through mud on trails IME.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Really sad no one has posted a screenshot from Jungle Loop yet. Gravel for the Year 2020

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

French Canadian posted:

here's me an my friends riding gravel earlier today

😍

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Hello Grabbel Thread!

How do you/what do you use to plan out gravel rides?

I'm used to road nonsense with google maps + strava.

Is there some way to find gravel roads as an internet service? Would love to plot out a nice 50 mile'r as the weather turns warm.

If this has already been discussed, can you point me toward it?

Strava, GravelMap (like Jamal posted), Forest Service maps, etc.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Everyone should have to experience sketchy gravel on rim braked road bikes with 25mm tires to properly appreciate modern gravel bikes. Off road road biking is/was really fun but it you're always on the edge of something going really wrong. I don't miss the flats though. One of my last gravel rides in Georgia, I remember we ended up on a gravel road with some chunky stuff and the guy I was riding with had 3 flats in the span of 5 miles, all from pinch flats.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

What’s your inseam? 54 would be the more typical size for your height.

Agree with this. I’m the same height and it would have to be a very weird frame for me to buy a 56.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

learnincurve posted:

Dang it. I came to this thread to see what tyres people were using in the pictures and to find out if I could shoehorn any of them on my steel and carbon touring bike (currently running 25mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus) because I’ve got to ride it 12 miles on gravel next week, the answer is no, and oh my poor back.

Could be fine. I would run tires with good puncture protection, make sure your tires are inflated enough to help prevent pinch flats, bring extra tubes, AND HAVE FUN! I rode lots and lots of gravel and dirt roads before gravel bikes were a thing and had more rides with no problems than I did with, fwiw

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Crumps Brother posted:

I had another gravel race this weekend. I DNFed. It was pretty awesome.

Thats freakin awesome.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Clark Nova posted:

I looked up your bike out of curiosity and it looks like they put a praxis crank on the 2020 and a shimano crank on the 2021 so they know they hosed up

What’s wrong with Praxis cranks? Nobody I know has had issues with them. Aluminum or carbon.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Well for me, i broke a chainring, cracked 3 of the 4 spider arms, and the bearings went bad. All within 500 miles. Cracked a second spider after another 700, bearings went bad again too. I replace the whole mess with a DA BB and 810 GRX double. But I think that BB is about to poo poo the bed too. The OEM crankst was a Praxxis Zyante double.

Geez. Thats a bad run for sure. Maybe you should start the fuckpraxismemes insta

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Obsessing over gravel tires is never ending. Just pick one and ride it imo.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Is that front brake routed correctly?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you aren’t racing for first, you just need however many tires you want to play around with an afford. I haven’t changed gravel tires in a year and ride pavement/gravel. I think Ramblers are pretty darn good all around gravel tires. If you want to mix and have something more aggressive up front a Ravager would work. SKs are good too, and pretty light, but they meet their limit cornering in loose stuff ime and kick up rocks a bunch off the back which can be super annoying for people riding w you.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wider tires and suspension are probably helping on the MTBers. Carry momentum too if you can.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
They don’t have to be but commonly are. And once it starts you usually have to get ahead of it. Organic pads will help some for sure.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Graveling. What a day. Some truly hellacious conditions.

What size front ring are running? 42?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Boulder Roubiax, Ned Gravel, Locos Gravel, Lefthand Gravel, Crippler are all events in CO that might be fun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ilkhan posted:

Heard about Salida first. Never been there, but kinda decided it looked like a challenge and decided to do the full version before I turn 40. So 76km lite version 2024 and the full 76mi in 2025.

Salida is a lot of fun and part of the Arkansas River area, which I think is one of the best places in the state. Really good MTB around there too at S Mountain, Methodist Mtn and the CT. BV is also just up the road with good trails and then Leadville another 45m north of that and Monarch is close to the south.