Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I saw a coyote, a deer, and a really chubby tabby on my ride last Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I rode on *not pavement* to get this shot, so it's gravel riding.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I found some gravel

on the side of the road

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Found some very well curated gravel today.

Was happy about it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Are you training for the war on cars?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I rode gravel today but took no pictures cause it was raining so hard. Had fun, found the limits of traction on my slick tires a few times while trying to keep up with my compatriots on knobbies.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

How gross is that bag gonna get?

Sweet bicheal, sweet groad.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Just scoping out some apocalypse bugout sites...

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Owns

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

goddamn 31x31.
I was feeling pleased with my 12x12. I think I'd need a helicopter to get 31x31.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I hate following your amazing posts. I'm too tired to put that kind of effort into exposition.

Rode some nice gravel for my birthday on our tandem. 80 miles, about 6 hours of moving time. Way too hot, but quite a hoot nevertheless.

Only had to get off twice - one for a section of over 20% trail that was just too steep and loose for our 1:1 gearing, and then again for a trail washout.
Oh, and for the two flats, and many picture stops.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

ok i see the tokul tunnel there, wheres the rest of the ride going to/from?

Started at Tokul Tunnel. Went up through Campbell's forest to Sultan, then back through Marckworth Forest to Carnation, then just took the trail.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

Can the Varia alert me to approaching mountain lions?

Anyone carry protection from predatory animals? There have been more than a few attacks around here over the years. Still safer than going up against cars though I think.

I carry bear spray when going into the forest.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I don’t think there is any reason to consider bear or mountain lion protection while riding if you aren’t in Grizzly country (greater Yellowstone and Glacier areas). Speed is your friend, the added size of your bike is your friend and if a mountain lion jumps on you there isn’t going to be enough notice to do anything. Black bears are mostly big raccoons.

If I am in Grizzly country way off road a Glock 20 with hardcast bullets in a gunfightersinc Kenai Holster and Bear Spray are my suggestions for old humpty.

I mean, in recent memory there have been cases of: a) a cougar killing a cyclist in the forest I ride in and b) a prepared person fighting off a cougar.
I take those anecdotes to mean: there is some (albeit small) risk, and it's worth being prepared. Am I missing something?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

gohuskies posted:

Do you live in Washington or Oregon? Because both those states had fatal cougar attacks in 2018 but they're still very rare. The Oregon attack was the first in the history of the state and the Washington one was the second in state history with the first being in 1924. So it really does not happen all that often.

Washington.

Of the three gravel rides I've done this month, I saw bears on two of them, and one of my (normaltimes) riding buddies saw a cougar on one of his rides two weeks ago.

So like, I get that the risk of an attack is low, but they're certainly out there, especially when I'm going out on logging roads that go into areas that haven't been actively worked in >10 years.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Being prepared for a cougar attack also begs the questions of you carry a snake bite kit in case you get bit along the way too. Also a neck brace and quick clot.

Snake bite kit no, as far as I understand there are no common venomous snakes in the areas where I ride. I do carry a small first aid kit with all the usual, but not a loving neck brace.

I only act like a racer when I'm actually in a race, when I'm enjoying the spirit of gravel I don't mind carrying a bit more to have peace of mind.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Interesting test, though I wouldn't call this a scientific study.
https://www.velonews.com/news/gravel/optimal-tire-pressure-gravel/

On smooth and also bumpy rollers, for a single model of 35mm tire, rolling resistance generally decreased going from 30psi to 70psi.

In a pretty unusual rolldown protocol on some actual gravel road, testing at 15, 30, 50, 70, same riders, same tire, rolling resistance was lowest at 30psi, and high at 15 and 70.

I feel like I've noticed this -- feeling super sluggish on asphalt and then when rolling onto gravel, it feels faster all of a sudden.
Note that one of the test riders thought he was going faster at 70psi on the gravel -- he equated getting bounced around on the harder tire with moving faster.

If you have a power meter and download Golden Cheetah, you can do your own personalized version of this test on the gravel and tires that you yourself use.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Fuckin' amazing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

It is almost time for me to replace my Gravel King tires, but I am hoping to find something with more supple sidewalls and stupid Jan Heine doesn't sell overprice 650bx38 tires with the tubeless bead.

Do any of you have some recommendations for other tires that tick these boxes?:
-584x38 - I might be able to fit 40, but that is pushing it.
-Tubeless compatible - I'm a little more keenly aware of my mortality and don't want to just make non-tubeless tires work anymore.
-slick - or close enough to it to not give road buzz.
-tan sidewalls - not a hard requirement, but I would be sad without it.

I just went through this hunt and I don't think there's anything else in that width, 650b, and tubeless.
That said, I guess I'll have to commend you for being a more sensitive rider than me - I've used the compass and gk slicks in identical sizes and I'll be damned if I could tell a difference in suppleness with them. I'm curious how you'd describe what it is you're noticing - I am intrigued as to why I can't feel it. Maybe something about my frame?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FireTora posted:

The SimWorks Volummy ticks the list, but I would be shocked if it was more supple than the GK with their listed weights.

The simworks volummy is a GK slick except with a slightly different color sidewall.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

The published weight did make me raise an eyebrow. Maybe with packaging? If what your saying is true, I do like that color better.

Hmm, they said as much on a radavist post at one point, but you're right the listed weights are wildly different when I check today. Feeling less sure now...

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Did a big ride hunting veloviewer squares. 90% road, but the dirt I found was really good. I probably should've dropped pressure in my GK slicks down from 60 before descending - none of the drops were more than 10 inches but I was definitely skidding the rear tire all over.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

e.pilot posted:

that’s some rowdy af grav to ride on slicks

Pics are dumb but everything but the last photo was between 10 and 18%. It was p. dumb but anything for a vv square.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Imo put 35s or 40s on the Cannondale and have a good loving time.
Squeezing tires to the limit is a bad plan.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

I see in the catalog the T1000 on the same frame/fork has 35 tires and fenders. So 40s might be ok, but I'd prob max out at 38mm if you don't want to deal with a return.

re: I'd probably live with the adjustable stem, but if the bar tape is thin, it'd be nice to have slightly cushier for gravel, and that'd be a justification for changing when you swap the stem.

Agree.

There's nothing inherently "can't handle gravel" about an adjustable stem. Hell, I know folks using adjustable stems for standing starts on the track.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

that sucks :(

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

DELETE CASCADE posted:

cyclists who hate e-bikes can go gently caress themselves sideways imho

Thanks for your relevant and nuanced commentary on an issue that is 100% black and white.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you're welcome, it literally is. notice that i said "cyclists who hate e-bikes" and not any variation of "cyclists who hate e-bikes being used in places where e-bikes are not allowed"

Oh, fair, in that case, thanks for your post that has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Ones I'm aware of, ranked in order of my personal biased ranking preference:

Conti Terra Speed in 650x35 or 650x40 (you have no idea how much it hurts me to rank Conti first)
Maxxis Rambler 650x40
WTB Resolute 650x42 (is this too wide?)
Schwalbe G-One Bite 650x38

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yes.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Goddamn dude. That sounds outstanding.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I think not having the tubeless option on the stock wheels is pretty lame for the Specialized. I'm surprised by that.

Given the pricepoint you're shopping at, my guess is that you're unlikely to want to replace the wheels in the near term (if I'm wrong... just wait until you can afford to buy what you want once instead of upgrading, it's better and cheaper). Based on that, get the one that can do tubeless - while I think it can be a toss-up on the road, there's a reason everyone does it for gravel.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

At that pricepoint I'd get the Ribble CGR-AL, personally.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

poo poo, if you can go up to $2500, the Ribble CGR-AL with full ultegra at $2100 is pretty sweet. You could even swing for the custom paint and still be within budget.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ElMaligno posted:

full ultrega ribble comes up to 3,000, full 105 ribble comes up to 2,400 and full tiagra comes up to 1,800. dunno if im doing anything wrong with their bike builder

also im really hesitant in ordering something overseas, last time i did that i had to wait a full year for the thing to come state side and it was a single front motorcycle wheel and not a full bike.

I think you might have something set wrong in your localization options. I know two people who have bought the 105 version of that bike in the last six months and paid the listed price (~$1,500 USD, slightly variable depending on exchange rate) plus roughly $150 USD shipping.

I think a goon in the main bike thread bought one, as well - it's not super fast, roughly 2 months lead time, but given availability on 2021 models of all bikes it may still be competitive.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dealing with mail-order when you aren't certain of sizing is tricky. The best thing to do is to compare the geometry to a bike you know works for you - that only really works if you've already got a bike of similar style dialed in.
When between sizes the general guidance I'm familiar with is: size down for cross (racing) bikes, size up for road bikes. Even though gravel bikes are conflated with cross bikes a lot, I think I'd put them as closer to road bikes for geometry purposes - the reason for going smaller for cx is to err on the side of twitchier steering and stiffer frame (not really what most folks are looking for in a gravel frame).
Maybe the best thing to do is test ride the Topstone. If you fall in love with it, then it's not like it's a *bad* value by any means, and then you're not waiting two months. If it's fine but you don't fall in love with it, then you've got a really good data point to decide sizing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

Thanks!

Just checked, previous post was on the 23rd. On the timeline that's probably the exact day I contracted it (give or take one day). Fun times. Stay safe, y'all. Covid absolutely wrecked me for over a week and I'm still paying for it over a month later. Everything I'm reading says my heart will take 2-5 months to sort itself out. And I'm one of the lucky ones that didn't have to get hospitalized. Long story short, gently caress Kim Reynolds for repeatedly loving Iowa.

drat dude. Glad you're on the road groad to recovery.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I leave the clutch on all the time on my cx bike.

The Shimano clutch design is slightly draggy (SRAM's is not), but I've had issues with dropping the chain when bunnyhopping when it's off, and am not smart enough to think about toggling it on/off for when I'm just riding around. Reduced chainslap all the time is nice, too.

Toggle it off for taking the wheel off.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Levitate posted:

Shame on you for that bullshit response, Safety Dance

:same:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dreadite posted:

My take on that group ride post is this:

There are millions of people doing things every day you wouldn't approve of (and shouldn't be allowed) during this pandemic: weddings, parties, clubs, eating out. We just happen to (mostly) be part of the 20% of America that actually gives a poo poo. Welcome to being a high conscientiousness individual, everything sucks.

It's not ideal that homeboy took a trip overseas to ride bikes. But, you know, I'm here for bike pics, and he delivered. I can let it slide.

What a weird topic to make your entry to the thread on.

Post some grav of your own and quite harshing the positive vibes with your dumb takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

gohuskies posted:

How about that bike riding? It's good stuff!

Weather sucks though. I don't mind snow like this but the 38 degree rain is the worst.

Love that trail. I have gotten snowed/rained on most of the times I've done it, though.