Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bicievino posted:

I hate following your amazing posts. I'm too tired to put that kind of effort into exposition.

Rode some nice gravel for my birthday on our tandem. 80 miles, about 6 hours of moving time. Way too hot, but quite a hoot nevertheless.

Only had to get off twice - one for a section of over 20% trail that was just too steep and loose for our 1:1 gearing, and then again for a trail washout.
Oh, and for the two flats, and many picture stops.

ok i see the tokul tunnel there, wheres the rest of the ride going to/from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bicievino posted:

Started at Tokul Tunnel. Went up through Campbell's forest to Sultan, then back through Marckworth Forest to Carnation, then just took the trail.

:captainpop:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

All of the trails around here specifically say no electric bikes. :shrug:

on the other hand,,,,

gently caress da mods

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
loving awesome

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my anxiety is knowing ill never get to do anything as cool as that :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ooof that's gorgeous

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Anza Borrego posted:

I have a Jamis Renegade Escapade and it’s been very good to me.

:same: i'm still a fan of mine, there's a couple things that bug me a bit but its been a hoot thus far

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its not a huge flaw but i'm definitely not a fan of how they ran the front shift cable at the top, which requires a stupid rear end pulley near the bottom bracket to get the correct pull direction at the derailleur

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bicievino posted:

Depend on what your local gravel looks like, and your tolerance for loving with old drivetrains (availability of spare parts is poo poo rn). 32mm slicks are fine on most of mine.

Content:

tolt pipeline? I did that earlier this week and it owned me pretty good

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i wish my renegade was that color

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I am definitely doing that iron horse trail this summer

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
loving gorgeous

how do you like the 3T?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
piss tapewall is real

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thinking about hitting up the iron horse trail on monday but I don't have a strong headlight on my bike for the tunnel. is the light needed to see in the dark or just to see hikers or other cyclists?

can I get by with a headlamp?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i grabbled up the iron horse trail. didnt want to buy a light just for this so i just held a flashlight while i went through the tunnel. the first time i went through tunnel it was just weird/cool as hell to ride so far through a wet, cool tunnel with random people walking in complete darkness.

but on the way back there was a constant eastward wind so when i got about 100 ft from the entrance on the way back i was hit by a cold blast that went through the tunnel and it was absolutely unreal. like walking into a walk in freezer in 75* weather.

also, this was my first 100km ride, my legs are beat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
holy poo poo i need to move to chile

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh my god, that looks amazing

i should leave this shithole country and move to south america

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I want to add a new bike to my collection (road and MTB) and gravel bikes really interest me. I’ve been looking at the Canyon Grail with GRX 8xx drivetrain. What other options should I look at? Price range around $2500-3500.

you might try out a steel frame bike, i really like my jamis renegade with ultegra

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
cool pics and that is some supremely nicely graded gravel!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Dog case, is that out near Baker Lake? Looks familiar

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
He'll yeah

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Up near Snoqualmie? Looks great

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
drat I should move to nz

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Challenge getaway pro htlr is pretty decent and low rolling resistance, wearing well for me so far but a complete pain in the dick to mount though

Edit:

rolling resistance between same tires of different widths can be extremely minimal, for example:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...-terra-speed-45

go as wide as you can afford if your tire choice it's available in different widths

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 13, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
shimano rx-800/801 are fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wheres this