Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Any recommendations for a studded tire for a gravel/cross bike? I have a Giant TCX and wish to continue to ride the local trails during the Chicago winter (Des Plaines River Trail for anyone local). I'm also a fat rider at ~285lbs so something on the wider end with as much grip as possible is preferable since in my prior testing it doesn't take much to send me flying in icy conditions. Am I going to be able to actually ride with this setup or should I just bite the bullet and look for a fatbike or 29er?

edit- contemplating a Giant Revolt Advanced 3 as an upgrade and being able to run up to 700x45c tires.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

tylertfb posted:

What year is your TCX? I’ve got an old one (2011) that I run 42mm soma cazaderos on just fine. It also runs the 45mm WTB riddlers that are on my wife’s bike

It's a 2015. Guess I can buy some 42s of some variety and see how it goes.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

iospace posted:

Only about 15 miles of gravel on the route today, but it's still gravel

Chicagoland? I swear I've ridden this.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

iospace posted:

Eh, close enough, Seven Rivers in Racine County, WI

Looks almost identical to stretches of the Illinois Prairie Path and similar trails around here. I need to get up to WI to ride more, at least you actually have hills that aren't highway overpasses.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I ride mixed surface/crushed limestone paths on 28 Schwalbe Marathons pretty often and it's not a huge issue. I'm also a big rider so if you are under 250lbs I think you'd have probably a similar experience on 25s.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm no expert but I run X'Plor MSOs for that type of stuff where I am - a mix of pavement, crushed limestone, dirt, small gravel

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Intrigued by Chicago, which I assume is not actually going to be in Chicago and likely the Des Plaines river trail, somewhere near Dekalb or elsewhere in farm country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Oh neat so it's like geocaching combined with gravel riding basically. Will have to see if I can find anything next weekend.