Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I rode gravel today. San Diego actually really sucks for gravel riding. Everything is really shale-y and either 15% uphill, or deep sandy desert wash. It's also hot and exposed everywhere. It's also broken up by pavement, so that you're rarely on dirt for more than 10 miles at a time. All y'alls rides with extended miles of smooth gravel double and single track make me jealous. Hell, even Orange County beats the SD gravel riding :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

jamal posted:

don't have a kick stand

God dammit. Where is this? :mad:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

charliebravo77 posted:

Any recommendations for a studded tire for a gravel/cross bike? I have a Giant TCX and wish to continue to ride the local trails during the Chicago winter (Des Plaines River Trail for anyone local). I'm also a fat rider at ~285lbs so something on the wider end with as much grip as possible is preferable since in my prior testing it doesn't take much to send me flying in icy conditions. Am I going to be able to actually ride with this setup or should I just bite the bullet and look for a fatbike or 29er?

edit- contemplating a Giant Revolt Advanced 3 as an upgrade and being able to run up to 700x45c tires.

What year is your TCX? I’ve got an old one (2011) that I run 42mm soma cazaderos on just fine. It also runs the 45mm WTB riddlers that are on my wife’s bike

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 15, 2021

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

For the wife's 50th birthday we are going to Catalina Island for 3 days in early April. And since she and the kids are all lazy slugs when on vacation, I will have 3 hours each morning to ride some of the gravel roads. Looking at street view and taking a look at some write ups people have posted, it seems to be a gravel paradise. Actual gravel roads closed to most cars. Some of it looks steep, but nothing a 31x34 can't handle. Much of south Orange County is a bit mountain bikey, so this would be a nice change.

I am normally not good about posting pics from rides, so I will try to remember and report back next month.

I’ve done a bike packing trip on Catalina on my gravel bike, you’re in for some fine riding. The immediate climb out of town up to the airport is kind of a rude awakening (and on tarmac) but unloaded it is fine. After that it’s all great! We camped at Parsons landing and had a blast

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

FogHelmut posted:

So climbing is one thing, but how do I train my hands for this descent? There's a lot of tight switchbacks, so I don't want to just send it, there's a lot of braking necessary.

I feel like I have better steering control especially over the bumps and ruts with my hands up on the hoods, but I don't have the leverage for extended braking. On the other hand, with my hands down in the drops, it's easier to pull the levers though a bit of a reach - I might have to adjust the brifter position a bit - but ultimately I feel like I have less steering control down there.

And if anyone can recommend some flat gravel in Southern California (I'm in OC), please let me know because my gravel bike is almost going to become a mountain bike at this point.

There is precious little flat gravel that connects to anything in SoCal. All roads here are either paved, 25% up or down fire roads, or deep desert sand. That said, in your area the Tijeras Creek / Trabuco Creek trail rolls pretty far and isn't all death climbs and descents.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Has anybody done any gravel riding around Gunnison Colorado? Possibly visiting family friends there for a week in July and am looking for some routes to ride.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
If it looked at you and said "Heeeeey buuuuuuddy" it wasn't just A weasel, but THE Weasel.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Dreadite posted:

I rode around Orcas Island. Some road, some fire road, some singletrack. Wasn't sure if I should bring my gravel bike or full suspension; I missed out on some prime singletrack but also picked up some sweet road segments. I felt limited on certain singletrack sections where I thought I might slice my tires through a rock garden or navigating switchbacks with any exposure- this feels super hard on drops. My perfect bike is probably flat bars and 48mm renee herse knobbies on the stigmata :)

Orcas is beautiful, the camping is very good, but they close down most of the trails to bikes in peak season, May 15-Sept 15. One of the best kept secrets is that September 15th to October 15th is probably the best riding in the PNW, though (as long as there is no smoke).

Here's a smattering of pictures.

Hot drat! I’ve ridden my road bike around San Juan and Lopez island when I visited my uncle there, but didn’t make it to Orcas. Gotta go back now that I have a full range of bikes

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Anza Borrego posted:

Only a little over 10+ miles/1000’, but it was a nice way to spend two hours. Finding longer routes in SoCal to piece together a long ride - without having 10k of climb - seems to be the biggest challenge.

I XC ski’d that road two months ago!

Here’s a pretty good San Diego route, nothing too technical: https://strava.app.link/VWeUg9w5zgb

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

FogHelmut posted:

Rare August rain in socal

Bike is covered in mud.

Where in SoCal? I was out surfing (north San Diego) when that storm came through, got kind of hairy seeing lightning when that storm came through, but it was far inland.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Staying at the Gravel House in Patagonia Arizona for a long weekend. Gravel here is 100% as advertised. Coming from SoCal it is wild to have miles and miles of wide gravel roads that don’t have to be connected by paved sections. It’s also weird riding 2% grade uphill for 2 hours and then 2% downhill all the way home. All our elevation profiles at home look like a sawblade.

https://strava.app.link/

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I saw a California King Snake, my favorite of all snakes, on my gravel ride today. It was big and alive. So that made my day.

Unlike the previous 2 that I saw, which appeared to have been run over by careless bikers.

Saw a pretty good rattlesnake on my (san diego area) ride today. 3 rattles on it, so a young one.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Anybody else doing BWR San Diego this weekend?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Honestly, the route isn’t that special this year, rain screwed with their plans a lot. I ride all these roads/paths for free all the time, am feeling kind of dumb for paying big $$$ to do the same ol stuff, but the big festive environment is kind of worth it.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Slavvy posted:

What happens the rest of the year??

B r o w n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Scored a pair of entries to Spirit World 100 in November 2nd. Truly the spirit of gravel. (That is: expensive as hell)