Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Anyone who follows bicycling has probably noticed the increase in gravel bicycling discussion, products, and press. It seems the "spirit of gravel" most likely fits best within Take A Hike! while the rest of the cycling threads discuss their skinny-tire, spandex-clad, bulging-calved lives.

Let us discuss our latest gravel adventures. What livestock have you seen? Have you covered your bike in camo vinyl? Have you created a pair of custom jorts? Are you an aspirational influencer? Are you on the waitlist for the Land Run or DK? (I don't care if you've completed them, what matters is that you let us know you're trending).

On this particular ride, I found both cows AND tacky car vinyl wrapping. Your move.

Also, I guess you can discuss anything else about bikes because all bikes are living their best lives on gravel.

PabloBOOM fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

paperwind posted:

Sometimes I ride my skinny tire road bike over little bits of gravel. That's the sum of my gravel riding experience.

This is how the spirit gets in you. Welcome, brethren.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

kemikalkadet posted:

i graveled through these chubsters once
https://i.imgur.com/4IaUnht.mp4

I'm digging this cow-vision version of gravel. Very bovine so fine.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
All bikes can embrace the spirit.

Except the ones made by Fooker.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

vikingstrike posted:

If you are wearing cargo bibs, have a half frame pack, a handlebar bag, and are riding a drop bar bike with knobby tires, but only stay on pavement: are you grinding gravel?

So long as you have left your crusty, barely-legible Land Run number plate on for at least 3 months after the event, then yes, it still counts as gravel.

Development posted:

hangin out with the grav and the chaise at work

Congratulation on having chaised, caught, and tamed, the chaise.

I have ordered new cowbell bars and supacaz tape so my next cow gravel picture will be so much more awesome.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

jamal posted:

Carbon fiber, 22lbs, 29x2.25" tires, 110mm front suspension fork with damping, 34x42 lowest gear, normal handlebars. The ultimate gravel bike?

Needs a dropped/elevated stay in there somewhere for no drat reason. Then we'll talk.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Vikingstrike, you are the first page MVP in this here spirit of gravel thread.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

British winter riding is basically gravel riding half the time. Had 150km of wet feet and potholes but also had an absolute blast.

My feet are still numb though, it was like 4 Celsius

I like this. Next cold Midwest gravel ride I'll just pretend I'm British!

I also tried to seal this tire in the most Gravel Sprit way possible.

It still did not work though.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Strong sprit for race #2 today. Even though I forgot my refreshing halfway-there beverage. Oh well, I nailed my "nutrition" game courtesy of still-leftover candy.

We had a dozen or so of us start together this morning.

Race organizer: "Oh good, this should help us avoid all doing individual gravel TT this time."
Us 2 miles in:

I saw lots of birbs, a possum, and many cows. Picture isn't great but these cows were having a slow stampede towards the feed truck that just arrived :3:

It was a good day.

Very much in the sprit of grabble

I only got off my bike once over the 40 miles(and only then to answer nature's call), and have come to very much appreciate this bike. It is a good bike.

My heart is full of the sprit. Grabble be with you always.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Well folks, I just got done facetiming with the gravel gods. They're real disappointed at the lack of offerings since my last "race report" that apparently nobody really cared about :shrug:. They say the sprit is about to run critically low.

At least I think that was the message, their reception wasn't good since they're currently bikepacking shirtless across death valley with a solar still and 17 dogs.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Levitate posted:

I've been graveling but not many pictures lately!

Here's a pretty typical pic

Hoping it will eventually rain here at some point

Good news! Baltimore gets plenty of rain.

:unsmith:

That is some excellent gravel indeed.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Not stopping is why some of my pictures go all this way

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
The Spirit is truly strong with this one.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Tigren posted:

My only criticism of your build is the SRAM cassette. The slight differences of the ramps on Shimano lead to much better shifting IMO. If you haven't bought cassettes for all your wheel sets already buy a Shimano 11-42 and try it out. I'd say it's well worth the extra weight.

Otherwise sweet ride.

A true gravel steed's shift ramps are made up of, or covered entirely by, mud, sticks, leaf litter, medium sized rocks, or animal bone. Brand is irrelevant.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Preach, brethren.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Those bars are magnificent. I think they need to go on the Chamois Hagar to really complete the package.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Winter gravel in the Midwest can be fickle. While this was slow going, these "warm" conditions put a huge smile in my heart.

Also bemused cows

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Crumps Brother posted:

Good morning gravel!

And then 150 miles later...
Good night gravel!

Big Spirit right here. You are crazy. And awesome.

(To be clear, all of you are awesome, but all-day-gravel is a special kind of awesome)

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
And on a headshock for double points. Legit awesome.

Welcome, brethren!

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Fantastic long ride yesterday on my new friend Farva.

This cockpit view with these colors and these 50c tires makes me happy. Turned out to be a great tire choice for today because most of the roads had been freshly regraded and chunky.

I like old random bridges.

And cows, naturally.

And rolling vistas

I don't always take a picture of my bike laying down. But when I do, it's in the middle of a gravel road.

Ride gravel, take pictures, and may the Spirit be with you always.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

e.pilot posted:

I tried to do this with my team but nobody was interested :saddowns:

I tried to do this in the slack but no one was interested :(

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Y'all doing good work. The spirit is good.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
We had a good run, sprit of gravel guns thread.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
First we had to add guidance about limiting gun chat.

You all keep this up and I'm going to crack down on chat about tires under 40 :colbert:

(I'm just kidding, the spirit of gravel welcomes all, you do your thing. I will add that my GKs in 50 are very supple)

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

e.pilot posted:

my GK 50s :colbert:

And they're spectacular. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Crumps Brother posted:

Back to back gravel centuries this weekend. I somehow managed 15,000' in the process as well. I'm toast.

Holy crap. That's a lot of gravel. And that's awesome.