Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Really depends on the quality of roads/trails/paths /etc you want to take it down. Wider tires (lower pressures) can cover up a lot of bumps, but 32 aren't wide enough for much of that. 32s and a stiff frame will bounce you around a lot on anything bumpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

One of the nice things about races is you don't have to race pace if you don't want to.

Long as you had fun and came home safe it's a good day.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I did some race pace on Saturday. 275w normalized for 3 hours @ 61kg. Never quite chased down the guys in the lead group but got 6th overall out of 500ish. My time this year would have been a CR any other year :negative:
CR?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ah. So good conditions all around. Still worth a congrats.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Schwalbe G-one RS? Might be a little smooth for the fire roads.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

That looks like a fun ride.

I ride a grade too. 2015 or 2016, I really don't remember. I like the bike, but looking forward to replacing it with a Grizl when 12s GRX comes out.

What do folks ride for shoes for gravel? I'm on SPD, but without recesses for the clips, so it's very awkward to walk in. I want something more comfortable and able to walk in. I'm planning on riding the short route for BWR Kansas in October and from what I've seen I may need to jump off the bike for some sections.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Steve French posted:

I did a gravel race in a pretty nice looking place. I wasn’t fast.

Telluride is gorgeous. That race/event is on my list for 2024 or 2025, just to have an excuse to spend the weekend there again. You do the full course or the short one? Short one is crazy enough.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 12, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I am prepping for Foco Fondo, Salida76, and BWR:KS next year, depending on vacation availability, if I move as planned, and how well I prep over winter. A couple others would be nice stretch goals, but that will keep me busy. I wanted to do a couple of those this year but poo poo just didn't work out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Nice. I'm looking at doing Bighorn Gravel in June and then Rad Dirt Fest in September. Salida76 looks similar location wise. What made you choose it?

Gravel TT?
Heard about Salida first. Never been there, but kinda decided it looked like a challenge and decided to do the full version before I turn 40. So 76km lite version 2024 and the full 76mi in 2025.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

Salida is a lot of fun and part of the Arkansas River area, which I think is one of the best places in the state. Really good MTB around there too at S Mountain, Methodist Mtn and the CT. BV is also just up the road with good trails and then Leadville another 45m north of that and Monarch is close to the south.
Wife wants to turn it into a whole week in the state, doing Sand dune NP, Blue Mesa reservoir for hiking/camping/picnic/TBD, and stopping back in CO springs for a couple days with horseback ride at Garden of the Gods. Seems like a good week to me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like my gravel/event schedule is set!

June 23rd: Bighorn Gravel
August 18th: Stew that I didn't get an entry for Steamboat
September 28th: Rad Dirt Fest
Come ride salida76 with me in september.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Drove by salida last weekend. Seems like a nice place to bike.

deong posted:

Its a great weekend ride/trip.
I hope so. Never actually been there, but we're gonna make a week out of it, enjoy the scenery and location some. Not living in CO (yet, pending jobs), but this is one event I just kindve latched onto and decided I wanted to do. Short version this year, and pushing to the full next year.

I'm rather annoyed they scheduled Tour of the Moon the same day as the Salida race, I'd have loved to have done both on the trip on successive weekends. Oh well.