Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Spots of garble on the ride today, including this gnarly old road - a mile at -12% - mix of dirt, gravel and big quartz boulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Seems like a private access road or a driveway - maybe it was an early road before the area got developed and now no-one uses it. Doesn't seem to ever have been sealed or properly leveled with all these big boulders and sharp quartz. You wouldn't even notice it from the top entrance because it drops off the side of another driveway.. but it's marked on google maps with a name, and none of the usual "private road" signage at the top :shrug: Joins up to a proper well surfaced gravel road below that then runs down to the main paved road.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Extra grabbly last weekend

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Routecheck.cc has a map toggle to highlight unpaved roads wherever you are (osm data).

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I have a 1 year old Revolt 0 with 1850 miles on it. So far I have replaced 2 BB's, 1 crankset, 1 headset, 2 chains, 3 sets of brake pads, chainrings, a freehub body, a small chainring and a seat post. Granted, I am a heavy rider and I push the bike hard, but things are just not holding up the way I would expect them to. The road bike holds up just fine, but I am going through a lot more parts than I expected on the Revolt.

:psyduck: this is not normal.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m also open to another tire that is more robust than the Babyshoe but lighter than the Xplor. Any suggestions? They’d need to be 650b for my dynamo wheel.

WTB Resolute in 650bx42 rolls pretty well on all surfaces. 450-550g depending on version. Tread looks similar to the X-Plor, bit more knobby.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Was feeling spirited and took my bike down Apex park after climbing Lookout on the weekend. Descents were fast and fun but there was some walking, especially up the steep ramps and up some rocky/rooty switchbacks which was really tough in the heat. Maaaybe might do it again on wider tires. It was a hell of a lot nicer after I remembered to drop the pressure from 45 psi for the road approach to under 30.

Enchanted Forest

Top of Pick-n-Sledge.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Pawnee Grasslands are long and rolly

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

CO goons, this is your reminder that Old Fall River Rd in RMNP is still closed to cars and is amazing. Get it before it's full of lifted trucks and jeep bros.

$15 day pass for cyclists but no timed-entry reservation required.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

drat you picked a perfect day for it. When is it open to vehicles again?

Was great except for thunderstorm with mad hail at the top, I could have really used another layer and a waterproof shell for the gloves.

Not sure when open to traffic but it can't be far off. The road is completely clear of snow now, all the way to the visitor center at the top. Perhaps they're planning some improvement work :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

I never had a sketch feeling on 650x42 resolutes at speed, don't recall doing paved switchbacks though. I'd run those.