Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

PT6A posted:

Realistically, though, how many people actually want to just sit around and play video games endlessly? Given infinite time and no pressure, 95% of people would at least add something to that, whether it's writing reviews, streaming, modding, making LPs, competing in tournaments, etc.

These things might not be some necessary boon to society, but they are at least productive in the sense that something is being achieved. Being a passive consumer of media on semi-permanent basis sounds absolutely dreadful and I have to wonder about the mental state of anyone who sees that as an end goal. Even people who are obsessed with consuming specific media often end up doing things like writing fanfics or whatever.

I mean, I love watching TV and movies when I'm not working, but if I get sick and can't go to work, I get bored if I just sit around watching poo poo on the TV all day, even if it's only just one day. So, for example, last time I got sick, I taught myself to knit. It doesn't help society in any way at all, but it is a minor accomplishment, a production of something no matter how trivial.

True.

I've read multiple accounts of lottery winners who've gone back to fairly menial jobs after a few months, despite being multi-millionaires.

I remember a guy who went back to welding and another guy who went back to being a postman. Only difference was that he would commute in a Mercedes SL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU