Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Charlz Guybon posted:

If you're going to do a World War series you have to do the World War series! I want to talk about Lizards!

And on a semi-related note, I wish Turtledove would do a novel about Otto Skorzeny: Agent of Mossad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I kind of liked The Road Not Taken (the link is to a pdf of the story).

I just generally alien invasion/encounter stories where the scariest loving creatures are the Earth humans.

Meanwhile, even though I've probably read The Guns of the South five or six times over the years, I'm really enjoying this read-through.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Another good write up. Although the war concludes quickly, seems likely the Union would have had significant mutinies if it had continued much longer.

Kinda wonder how long CSA’s tech advantage would have held, as so many people know about the time travel gotta assume USA and European powers would be crawling the south offering cash for Rivington artifacts.

That point or one like it is addressed later in the book.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah you’re right, fun to get hints like how the US is already deploying their own AK-47 primitive prototypes against Canada but it’s not helping them against the Royal Navy.

Shhh. Spoilers. The "Civil War" part of the book is cool, but for me, the best parts come later with the South actually trying to build a real country with the inevitable compromises that come with that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gnoman posted:

Not really. In that series, the only Nazis that really get a favorable depiction are Heinrich Jager's panzer crew and the commandant of the later military spaceport.

Of the two whose heads we get inside, Jager remains willfully ignorant of the evils of the regime (much easier to justify for a panzer crew) until getting his face rubbed into it, and Drucker is largely supportive of things (albeit not really thinking too hard about what it means) until his wife gets nabbed as a secret Jew. Everyone else we see is monstrous, even if Skorzeny doesn't really show it until later on.

I admit kind of loving how Skorzeny would kind of mock the poo poo out of the SS like a Nazi Bugs Bunny. Assuming I remember that right. It's been several years since I read the series.

Weird bit from his wiki bio is that apparently Skorzeny did some work for Mossad mostly because he was kind of bored.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 30, 2022