Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

For whatever reason, my first thought is that that room is where they sweep all the cockroach corpses after they squish 'em. "Sealed evil" indeed.

Also, that Femiruna scene sounds almost decent by the end. Like maybe she might actually become a good person once someone that tells her what she's doing / how she's doing it is wrong, as opposed to apparently her father spoiling the poo poo out of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

This was kind of a mixed bag for both Femiruna and Reone, but the former definitely came out looking better than she started this update, while I lost a bit of respect for Reone. That's a bit odd, what with her coming from a fuckawesome Fight Club background, but...

With Femiruna, there's an actual issue that can potentially be solved. It's a lot easier to reopen closed communication channels with living-but-busy people than to help someone get over a dead family member they had a creepy crush on which they're projecting onto you.

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 26, 2019

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

"After Hours Maiden Club" has some very unfortunate connotations. I'm glad they immediately decided to give it a less lovely nickname. And yes, all of those choices are less lovely.

I'm also a bit confused on who exactly was doing (or in this case not doing) the fortune telling here. I've either got the names or the timing mixed up somehow...

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Once again, Femiruna up, Reone way, way down. Sue's was much better than her previous one, Collette's was much worse. I almost feel like I should be keeping track of these as a stock ticker.

Rather than a kink dungeon, I got the odd impression that the Sealed Evil is trashy romance novels - possibly of a kinky nature of some sort. Not sure if it's plain old smut or BDSM or BL or what, but that's the impression I got from it rather than being a room full of outright toys/tools. (Also, a supposedly demure girl getting caught reading any and/or all of those things is a fairly common anime trope.) I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Wait... If the Star Chaos is a tool at the God's disposal, wouldn't that imply the Star God has some degree of control over Impurities?

If so, it's neither a surprise nor a shift in our current running hypothesis: Star God is an rear end in a top hat.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I would prefer 2 or 3. I am against 4.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

It's a goddamned Dragon Diamond situation, isn't it? They're riffing on the "idols don't poop" trope with the Star Offal-ing. gently caress this stupid game. :v:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

...Did Reone manage to make it through the entire event without mentioning her brother? Because you didn't mention him in the summary.

More positive points for Femiruna. Good job, girl.

Farun you're the worst security guard.

...Nevermind. Mirei, YOU'RE the worst security guard. But who donated the morals you just found to science, and how long have they been sitting in your freezer?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Holy poo poo, Arie.

Why didn't they go all the way and call Mahiru's event 'In Vino, Veritas'?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Psycho Knight posted:

Maybe the thread will end up disagreeing with me when the time for an ending rolls around and think Mahiru should be top girl, blood relation be damned. I just don't think there are enough people in this thread willing to overlook that though.

I highly doubt it when even setting aside her wonky, slapdash, flipflopping personality, you still have 12 (...or perhaps 11, Reone) candidates without that bitter incest aftertaste.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

The Flying Twybil posted:

Come to think of it, has any game done that before? A straight platonic route?

The only thing that comes to mind is that the modern (3 and on) Persona games have an optional platonic route with each of the possible romantic interests.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

If Conception has a pacing issue and is going too fast, does that mean the plot is premature and might need you to conduct a c-section? :v:

Also, yes, I wanna see everything you can stand to show us.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Okay, that wasn't nearly as exciting as I'd expected from Arie's secret room, but "good" news: any room can be a kink dungeon if you're kinky enough. If weapons are her kink, and it looks like that's the case, that armory is definitely a kink dungeon.

Holy crap Femiruna, that was a great event. I can see this arc showing up in a much better game.

I'm not sure I buy Reone getting over her poo poo all of a sudden, and either way, I don't think she's worth having to put up with the journey there. She's still low on my list.

Mahiru didn't even bother with a twist. They changed her character entirely and she's STILL boring. Blegh.

E: also, eggs in sandwiches is not THAT uncommon.

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 2, 2020

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Wow. Those sure are some bonding updates.

Ruka's was some bog-standard tsundere poo poo. Whatever.

Farun actually did a great job there, it was Itsuki who shat the bed in that event. I would've loved to see Wake go up to the plate against that instead...

They tried to play it off as Lillie having a good reason for breaking the promise she just finished making, but it's still bullshit and so is she.

Let's just ignore Colette's existence, for the sake of everyone's mental health.

I gotta be honest, my eyes glazed over trying to read Mirei's event. She completely lost her poo poo and I've seen the exact same concept done WAY BETTER by an anime that's happening this season. Look up Science Fell In Love, So I Tried To Prove It. It's a romcom based on two Mirei-likes trying to justify their crush on each other to themselves, with a much better supporting cast than the bottom half of our current rankings, let alone the shitbird Granvanian masses.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

So they did the Star Children better and the Maidens worse? Talk about a mismatch of priorities for an anime tie-in.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Alfie and Arie both had great events.

I like that Femiruna's profile makes absolutely no attempt to beat around the bush or play coy in any way. Just, bam, there it is. Has that always been there or does it only show up as the route progresses?

Ruka's event is actually not totally awful. Kind of surprised, I expected way worse.

Go away, Mahiru.

"Honestly, I wish we could have heard part of that. I’d be interested to know how the hell star energy actually works."
So would the devs. That's why we don't get to hear it. The writers have no loving idea what Star Energy actually is or how it works, and making the second game obviously didn't clear it up for them at all.
Also, GO AWAY, OLD MAN.

Ugh, that is terrible for Yuzuha. hopefully she can get a similar treatment as Alfie did.

Reona and Sue are both unremarkable but less offensive and/or boring than usual. Most of these have been good other than Mahiru. [..... which I regret tempting fate with, two minutes later.]

Go away, Colette.

Go away, Lillie.

That's actually a decent event for Tarua. Why wasn't that, like, event 2 or 3? She's had a fat load of absolutely nothing up until now.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Psycho Knight posted:

How did that mutate into "But there are some good things about that"?

I'm starting to think that the thing about the Japanese team doing the English translation is true. At this point, I will be incredibly sad if we learn that an English team was reponsible for this mess.

No, it's okay. A Portuguese team just went ahead and did all the languages for the EU release.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

The Flying Twybil posted:

(Apologies, but I'm still baffled as to how you typo a ? as three commas.)

I'm pretty sure they tried to trail off in an ellipsis instead of actually ending in a question mark... and typo'd those periods into commas.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

...It's some sort of magic allergy, isn't it? Yuzuha is allergic to Granvania itself, and going to Earth Sora will inherently fix it.

I can't really blame her, Granvania is a shithole full of utterly awful people. My body would probably fundamentally reject the place on a physiological level too.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

My bottom two are in the top five. (I'm pretty sure they're the entire thread's bottom two: Colette and the 'Twins'.) gently caress that popularity poll. (Though I do find it entertaining that the 'bottom' three are within a hundred-vote range and then it's two separate thousand-point jumps to second and first.)

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Psycho Knight posted:

Notes: Male Magic Knight with Reone as mother. Closest I could get to Raitzeno's Roy avatar.

Works for me. Alternatively, if you want a thief/ninja of some sort and don't have one, I usually use Raitzeno as the name for those types of characters in MMOs. (My Discord avatar is an edit of Matthew instead. :V ...Speaking of which, it's Eliwood, not that their combat sprites are really very distinguishable.)

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Huh. I got the avatar in an FE7 LP. I assumed it was the relevant character and never paid much attention to it.

Magic Knight is just fine, especially since it looks like you have other Thieves already.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

So she dislikes Eros, not Agape?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

"one of those really light fabrics tied around her waist as a skirt" <- I'm pretty sure that's called a pareo, for future reference.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I see Mana has been hanging out with Mana too much, too. >:|

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Game Itsuki is such a lovely protagonist, especially compared to Wake. Even Official Wake was so much better. (And Anime Itsuki is even shittier, for different reasons.)

Shang had absolutely no leg to stand on there. That's not the place to beg the King to listen. That's the place to tell the King he's hosed up, turned into a tyrant, and lost the war anyway, now shut up and get out of my way so I can clean up your goddamned stupid mess.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

None of these people deserve to be saved. Take (some of) the Maidens and bail this turdball of a planet.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Ugh, the anime is such a shitshow. Like, it's not even close to the worst I've seen, but it was basically handed to them on a silver platter and they dumped it on the floor, stomped on it, and told everyone to just lick it up from there. There was absolutely no need for most of this garbage. Even if you cut out all the dungeon diving - which is kind of stupid but i get it - there was plenty there to make the full run and get through most of the events without cutting a bunch of poo poo (and adding filler in its place).

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

To me, Itsuki's insistence on having children with each of them is kind of nice, especially when you think about how the Star Children are the best part (or only good part) of the anime. To me, it reads that he's gotten so used to raising these kids and hanging around with them that he dearly misses them when he comes back to Earth. He's asking for real kids to fill that void, because he's realized how much he enjoys being a dad. And really, that's a better motivation than many for having kids...

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

What, no mention of the horrendous/wonky pacing? :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Ugh, that was total dogshit. gently caress that anime. It's an absolute shitshow that failed at every level. The only good thing about it (the Star Children) were an afterthought, and it actively sabotaged the few things the game did right.