Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ButterSkeleton posted:

"but we didn't actually take the fund down, were just asking questions!" - people who have no tact about their behaviors and the effects of their actions on people who depend on things to live

I HTINK you might be bitchmade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Okay, mean culpa time. I'm reading over my posts and I'm embarrassed.

I got heated and I hosed up, said things I shouldn't have said and I'd like to personally apologize to Plinkey. He's said he will address the accountability concerns and I should have taken him at his word on that. He's done more real world good than I have, by a large margin, and that should and does count for something. I'm sorry that I made someone who used the fund feel like they needed to come here and defend it, and talk about personal stuff.

I was over the line and I am truly sorry.

lmao

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm gonna be entirely honest, I've been holding off for a few weeks on asking for help from the fund for a second month in a row because of my own personal guilt about it, and then this poo poo goes and pops off and I see people's post histories being dug into or using people asking for help to take care of their pets as a cudgel and poo poo and making me doubly terrified of asking in here so i just send a stealth email off yesterday hoping to get it noticed but at this point it looks like it doesn't matter.

This fund has actively saved my life on several occasions. Plinkey has helped me and gone way above and beyond on several occasions since due to a troubled living situation and stuff I have frequent issues with getting my food stamps and the anonymity and expedience and all the related stuff makes it easy to get help without getting things gummed up while I work on my various appeals for getting my food stamps/disability/etc going. And seeing as there's a non zero chance of it all coming crashing down and one of my last few support structures crumbling in the face of this is absolutely cripplingly depressing. Especially when alternatives aren't off the ground, and are debating means testing and everything.

Even if it's just a little, it helps a ton, and seeing this is just absolutely crushing. I really don't know what I'd do without it.

i think it's cool to help people but it's time to put on the big boy pants and be slightly7 more professional with other's money.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

loving disgraceful. QCS delenda est. I’m sorry this is happening Plinkey. No good deed goes unpunished :(

i can tell how messy your lovely apartment is by how repulsed of responsibility you are.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

bebop esq posted:

It's a huge mystery as to why someone who, for the past ~3 years, has operated a charity, sometimes while using his own money and with the blessing of the site's owner, is suddenly accused of stealing from it with absolutely no evidence of any wrongdoing. Plinkey isn't acting "guilty," he's acting pissed off, because every good deed goes unpunished, right? He has explained himself multiple times and many people have revealed that he's helped them, no questions asked. This is out of nowhere and it is a bit mind boggling that all of a sudden, the admins (one admin?) are so concerned about a random, unrelated poster's baseless accusation about something that has done this community a lot of good.

over time, things change.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

as someone who has once received from and has tried to be a regular contributor to the goonbucks fund, i sincerely loving wish i had my own personal finances in order to the point that i could start critiquing the financial compliance and practices of somebody trying to do a direct-action thing as best they can.

loving hell at least it's keeping some of you loving busybodies from calling the cops on homeless people, i guess.

i'm glad you have been helped, but responsibility is important when dealing with large sums of money.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ButterSkeleton posted:

Have you ever been in a poor person's home or

i live in a poor persons home and clean it regularly.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ButterSkeleton posted:

Have you ever been in a poor person's home or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp9599kwnhM

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
ask for money to get a scrubdaddy you filthy bitch

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
again, i am fully in favor of the goonfund, but it's time to treat it with a less cavalier attitude.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ButterSkeleton posted:

Is that a Jordan Peterson video looooool

he's smarter than you

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

the thing is this is all trust, and it basically has to be unless you want to bring in auditors or some poo poo. like at the end of the day even a “this is what went out” statement still relies on trusting Plinky not to lie about it. a more formal model has benefits but it also has downsides (potential impact on helping people anonymously or who aren’t from the US).

i'm really only perusing this arguement, is there any real disadvantage to moving towards a model that resembles the UK goon fund? if anything i'd love to see the fund grow in size, and i've seen testimonials of people being outright ignored.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

1stGear posted:

Tell me about the Chaos Dragon and how an all-meat diet is the way

hang on he loving sucks now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks072waMayk

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i've donated no more than 25 a month when i have been able to.

as far as i know, what that $25 is used for is to help goons.

it's not that loving deep unless you're literally looking to pick a fight because you got nothing else going on for you.

you dont know poo poo is what yo'ure saying

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i can flame AND be correct

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

ButterSkeleton posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha oh my god this is amazing. Do you feel like someone's intelligence is important for their value as a person

... is your winning strategy admitting you're retarded

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

potential disclosure requirements (increasing the bar recipients need to climb over to get $) and location of the recipients would be the two main ones. maybe they’re easy to overcome, I don’t know. Having everything go through a single person here also has disadvantages outside of the trust issue, so there are good arguments for another model. i just don’t think it’s a slam dunk better solution.

like the idea of moving off patreon. yeah some other processes may take less money, but if you get less money because the process for donating is harder, what did you gain exactly?

these are good points i hand't considered. it's not my area of expertise but the response to calls for scrutiny is truly confusing.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CODChimera posted:

sweet go help set it up

like this moronn

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

what i know

a list, by gene hackman fan, age 17:

• dude runs a fund to kick a couple of bucks to goons who need help.
  • dude who runs it is a goon.
  • you are the kind of rear end in a top hat bill murray would call dickless.

you're clearly forty lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

City Slicker posted:

you’ve misunderstood

the issue is that the person who controls the fund and receives all of the donations - before they are disbursed - has a history of gambling

that doesn’t mean he is stealing, but the fund currently has zero accountability so nobody knows whether he is or not

i have a problem with this. painting someone as untrustworthy because they gamble is baseless and undermining the confidence of the fund for no benefit. you can call for scrutiny just based on the fact that handling a lot of money going in and coming from a lot of different directions is very difficult, some people do it as a full time job even.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CODChimera posted:

drat it's crazy how there are so many of you that genuinely want to help out, really looking forward to what you can achieve

your complacence is disgusting.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Even the well-meaning UK goons are from a country that is not explicitly designed to make tax exempt charity drat near impossible

The US wants its share
and it wants to make sure it's getting its share
if you're not an actual accountant you don't know how the gently caress hard it is to set up a charitable organization in a country where operating with 25% going to overhead expenses is considered a best case scenario

provide more detail then.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CODChimera posted:

I'd be more concerned if u drama goons were complimenting me

what level of concern would not be dramatic in your eyes? i'm being sincere when i say i think the fund is a good thing.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ok I don't give a poo poo if this is trolling or whatever but you're a reprehensible person, should be banned for this post alone, and I hope the next time you're dependent on help from someone else that they treat you just as callously.

how am i trolling? i'm glad the fund is helping people but it's big enough that freewheeling is irresponsible at this point.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Reprehensible idea: i like good thing. now that it's increased in scope perhaps it's time to reevaluate the organization of said good thing.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

gently caress off, nobody is fooled by your dumb concern troll

?????????????????????? you're off your head bud. i want this thing to run smoothly.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
multiple people came forward in qcs to say that asked for money when they needed it and didn't get a response, this is a failure full stop. it would be nice if it didn't happen again and the person who is responsible for letting these requests fall through the cracks at least had something to say about it.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
this system could be better :troll:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

VideoKid posted:

“Plinky is a degenerate gambler who is stealing all of the money and also he eats kittens and puppies for breakfast. He should be permabaned along with every other cspam poster”

“why won’t anyone respond to my good faith reasonable criticisms?”

i hope you're not implying i've said this, b/c i believe the opposite!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i don't understand why nobody thinks i am genuinely concerned about the nature of this project, all i did was ask how come the person running didn't deny they were legally obligated to register as a moderator it's a perfectly important question to ask

i did start off being pretty aggro eyah lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i'm a complicated guy :littleangel:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

okay, and have you done anything about fixing that or are you just here to jerk off?

i feel like i've done well separating my flames from my sincere posts. i'll admit i've undercut myself but this whole dustup is hard to wade into from any direction without catching a walloping.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

World Famous W posted:

giving you the benefit of the doubt, because im a loving rube from expecting good from people, you didn't do a great job of separating them

i'll take this into account. [paragon]

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CODChimera posted:

maybe tag one of your buddies in, you're cooked

tired of bagwork :punchy:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

hrrm, you're absolutely right. have you tried reading more and posting less? could be why you're missing context and why everybody in this thread is telling you to go gently caress yourself

i'm not seeing many rebuttals to the side that wants oversight other than "MAKE YOUR OWN GOON FUND THEN" which is a famously flawed argument.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

VideoKid posted:

yea I thought you were one of the rear end in a top hat QCS/ Drama thread posters

i'll admit i participate in both, and enjoy both participating in the drama of the site but it's also the only real way to engage in discussions about what the members of the forum consider appropriate on the forum. it gets messy, just how i like it.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

VideoKid posted:

plinky said he will be posting a spread sheet in the future

oh thanks for being helpful :tipshat:

CODChimera posted:

no it isn't. it's just that everyone knows none of u will do anything actually useful

i dont have to because i'm not the one spending other people's money

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Plinkey posted:

honestly, gently caress off

if you dont donate or ask for money or post in cspam you have no reason to be here

hey where's the money going

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

CODChimera posted:

don't worry about other people's money

doesnt sound very revolutionary comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Plinkey posted:

honestly, gently caress off

if you dont donate or ask for money or post in cspam you have no reason to be here

how much do i have to donate to get a say [sincere question]