Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I recall from the QCS thread a running theme was that there was no way this thread was doling out 3k/mo. There was no data to really look at this before but we do have some from the other thread. They put up their interim solution on the 26th and their numbers so far are:

quote:

- $1785 distributed
- 10 donors registered
- 8 requests fulfilled

Which would translate to
~220 per person
~440 per day

So a 3k goon fund would have been able to field 13-14 requests/mo, or would go dry in about one week. Now naturally, between it being a holiday season and the end of the month there's probably more/bigger requests than usual for catching up on things like rent but it does seem to illustrate that 3k/mo really wasn't that much money to go through. If anything a couple requests a week and maybe a bit more/bigger activity towards the end of a month lines up fairly neatly with what you could visibly see in this thread, which would indicate that as long as there's not a whole backlog of posters claiming they reached out for help and never got it (which no one seemed to find when they originally went looking) the money was simply disbursed as indicated. Particularly after Patreon's cut, there's not a whole lot of room for embezzlement here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

He said before that the fund usually ran out by the 25th and he continued to pay people out of his own pocket, yes

This seems p realistic from the numbers in the other thread. There's really only two angles of attack against this fund.

1. The money isn't being given to people who ask.
2. There's leftover money OP just pockets at the end of each month.

1 was already shown to be wrong in the long qcs thread, I think for all the effort searching only 1 example of a person was ever produced of a person being stiffed, and it was reasonably chalked up to human error.
2 is looking like it has p much no standing if you believe the numbers in the new project.

There's sort of a 3 here in that "transparency is good" which I don't think anyone would really disagree with, but it's also asking for extra free labor from a person already doing good things and the only reason you need extra transparency is if 1 or 2 were a valid concern, which they do not appear to be at this point.

I guess we'll see how it shakes out, but I would also say it'd only take a handful of minutes to fake an anonymous spreadsheet for a month so that never seemed like it was ever going to satisfy anyone whether or not he produced such a thing.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
How are we back to “he must be pocketing the money because he hasn’t shown any proof he isn’t”?

the other thread went through almost 2k in 4 days, we have a clear demonstration that it’s incredibly reasonable and realistic to expect this fund could churn through 3k less whatever patreon cut there is in a month. There’d only be a notable amount of money left in the fund to pocket if Plinkey was turning down requests left and right, people already looked for that a month and a half ago and found that wasn’t the case. The QCS thread p much ended on the note of “okay well yeah he is giving people who ask money but what if he is keeping the leftover money?” Now we already have a new easy to look at example that makes that outcome much less likely.

At this point common sense conclusion is the fund was working exactly as described.

The new project is a cool design and I think we can all call it a win it got off the ground, seems like there’s a larger need of help than people expected and it’s good that there’s now more help available.