Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i think it's very disingenuous of the plinkey critics to frame his gambling as if he's embezzling the good fund when it's extremely obvious to anyone with even a small brain that he has to hide the money in gambling losses to stop from owing taxes on it. i dont want my donations going to drones instead of food for goons and i appreciate him shouldering the burden of keeping unkkkle sam's hands off the goon bucks.

that said i would like to see a little more oversight to make sure that if any of the goons getting help are overly fat he isn't just buying them more pizza. i do have serious concerns about his judgment in this area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

it's actually good to have a tight scope on what your project is trying to accomplish and i think this thread did a perfectly good job of that.

dorks and nerds (liberals) across the world feel a deep need to turn every altruistic program into a charity with committees and fundraising and titles etc because their brains are so thoroughly broken by capitalism that even when they try to create a structure that alleviates the suffering caused by it, they can't help but replicate the structures that create the suffering in the first place. they have no other frame of reference to create a program.

literally every charity in the world has a board packed to the gills with people with "business experience" and focuses on fundraising and efficiency and oversight to make sure nobody gets one over on the charity. it costs huge amounts of time and resources and is absolutely completely insane. they just can't see it from any other perspective.

this never appeared to me to be a project that was aspiring to liberate people from capitalism, and it doesn't require oversight and a board and audits and fundraising drives and forms and papers etc. what's wrong with a simple straightforward agreement that lets one person hand out money to people who ask? why does it have to be a full on GOON PROJECT? who really cares if a bunch of people have a $5 auto patreon payment they've forgotten about and some sub-optimal percentage of funds is getting distributed, or the response time isn't immediate? why the push for the committee oversight on the take-a-penny-leave-a-penny tray?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

So that the money donated is not stolen.

it's not being stolen if it's being funded by no-strings-attached patreon subscriptions? are you the kind of person that hands a homeless person a sandwich instead of money because you're worried they'll spend it wrong?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

redneck nazgul posted:

because people think it would be funny to break it and be able to say "hey remember when a gambling addict stole $3000 a month from cspam? lol. lmao."

they don't actually give a gently caress about whether or not the money was stolen and the majority of them didn't bother helping with the now clearly reputable official 501c goon fund

nope, gotta make content

to be fair that is objectively funny and i also love content. i judge those people less than the lunatics that decided they needed to set up a 4 person committee to distribute their initial sub-$2k in donations by vote

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Let me make sure I'm understanding what you're saying here. It doesn't matter what the thread OP does with the money because it's just a no strings attached patreon donation? Even if he's putting it straight into his personal bank account and not sending out a dime, he's not stealing it from your perspective?

when i give someone money that asks for it i do not follow them around to make sure they spend it wisely. it's a waste of my time and resources and at the end of the day it's their problem not mine.

nobody should be subscribing to a collective pizza fund with any amount of money that matters to them. i and most people waste money on far far dumber things than this sort of patreon fund and the whole point of it is that if you subscribe to it you don't have to spend another second of your life thinking about that money? that's plinkey's job?

i donated for a while and then stopped because i wanted to cut back my patreon stuff and forgot about it. that's literally the only sane way to approach this sort of project?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

*hmm yes it's that time of the month i review the public accounting books of my $5 charitable donations* ????

spacemang_spliff posted:

because there's good drama thread content to be wrung out of it

i agree it owns and ive enjoyed reading it

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

You didn't answer the question. Nothing that this guy can do, in your opinion, would be stealing the money because it's just a donation to his patreon with no strings attached? That's what you said but I want to make sure.

yes if i gave him the money he didn't steal it from me? im not buying something from him, i gave him the money and assume he's doing something marginally useful with it? if he's not i guess it'll work itself out eventually?

i'm not that invested in a patreon subscription

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

edit: I think it's good that there's a full on goon project available but yes there's gaps that need to be filled and if people want to donate to one or the other or both who cares.

the full on goon project committee fund will inevitably self destruct into an abuser allegation polycule fiasco because at the end of the day the vast majority of people that want to be on a committee overseeing a fund with 4 figures in the bank are complete lunatics. so it is 100% worth funding at this point as the drama return on investment will be far greater than this one imo

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Ok. You're just a pea brain then.

i will say that this conversation has reminded me to cancel my netflix subscription that i haven't watched in 6 months so i appreciate that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

oh wow I'm still right

wrong i paid upwards of $25 to the goon fund and i am entitled to the returns on my investment

I got the tude now posted:

youre oversimplifying, in this case there’s an intermediary who is expected to disburse the funds to others. expecting people to behave responsibly isn’t counter revolutionary.

i know im breathtakingly stupid, but i think maybe you are missing my point that treating everything as if it is some high stakes billion dollar gates foundation charity drive that requires board members and audits and elections and reports is overkill and stupid for a project like the goon fund with such a stated limited scope that it was arguably fulfilling. and perhaps the fact that many goons appear to have a deep internal need to turn it in to that sort of charity is something they should reflect on

who said anything about revolution?