Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

jarofpiss posted:

it's actually good to have a tight scope on what your project is trying to accomplish and i think this thread did a perfectly good job of that.

dorks and nerds (liberals) across the world feel a deep need to turn every altruistic program into a charity with committees and fundraising and titles etc because their brains are so thoroughly broken by capitalism that even when they try to create a structure that alleviates the suffering caused by it, they can't help but replicate the structures that create the suffering in the first place. they have no other frame of reference to create a program.

literally every charity in the world has a board packed to the gills with people with "business experience" and focuses on fundraising and efficiency and oversight to make sure nobody gets one over on the charity. it costs huge amounts of time and resources and is absolutely completely insane. they just can't see it from any other perspective.

this never appeared to me to be a project that was aspiring to liberate people from capitalism, and it doesn't require oversight and a board and audits and fundraising drives and forms and papers etc. what's wrong with a simple straightforward agreement that lets one person hand out money to people who ask? why does it have to be a full on GOON PROJECT? who really cares if a bunch of people have a $5 auto patreon payment they've forgotten about and some sub-optimal percentage of funds is getting distributed, or the response time isn't immediate? why the push for the committee oversight on the take-a-penny-leave-a-penny tray?

So that the money donated is not stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

CODChimera posted:

if u think its being stolen then just don't donate. seems pretty easy no?

I should vote with my wallet? Thanks, my left wing friend. Anyway, I have been not donating to this fund for many years, so I put my money where my mouth is on this one.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

jarofpiss posted:

it's not being stolen if it's being funded by no-strings-attached patreon subscriptions? are you the kind of person that hands a homeless person a sandwich instead of money because you're worried they'll spend it wrong?

Let me make sure I'm understanding what you're saying here. It doesn't matter what the thread OP does with the money because it's just a no strings attached patreon donation? Even if he's putting it straight into his personal bank account and not sending out a dime, he's not stealing it from your perspective?

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

jarofpiss posted:

when i give someone money that asks for it i do not follow them around to make sure they spend it wisely. it's a waste of my time and resources and at the end of the day it's their problem not mine.

nobody should be subscribing to a collective pizza fund with any amount of money that matters to them. i and most people waste money on far far dumber things than this sort of patreon fund and the whole point of it is that if you subscribe to it you don't have to spend another second of your life thinking about that money? that's plinkey's job?

i donated for a while and then stopped because i wanted to cut back my patreon stuff and forgot about it. that's literally the only sane way to approach this sort of project?

You didn't answer the question. Nothing that this guy can do, in your opinion, would be stealing the money because it's just a donation to his patreon with no strings attached? That's what you said but I want to make sure.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

jarofpiss posted:

yes if i gave him the money he didn't steal it from me? im not buying something from him, i gave him the money and assume he's doing something marginally useful with it? if he's not i guess it'll work itself out eventually?

i'm not that invested in a patreon subscription

Ok. You're just a pea brain then.