Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I liek my magnets on my fridge they are picyur w of flamingos! (:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't recall anyone saying that.

An electric kettle heats up water. You use that hot water in your coffee device of choice.

Sure but it's not like this is an amazing piece of technology. It's like the other goon posting ' a refrigerator' or 'a microwave'. Everyone already has one.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Outrail posted:

Sure but it's not like this is an amazing piece of technology. It's like the other goon posting ' a refrigerator' or 'a microwave'. Everyone already has one.

Dude.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Uhg, fine.

Anyway I like having a stupid 10ft phone charging cable (USBC or whatever) . Great for watching poo poo on the couch.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I bought 2 bottles of Dr Bronner's just from reading about it on SA and found it horribly drying to my hands

Wtf

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seconding a good salad spinner

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Outrail posted:

Who are the stone age goons bewildered by the existence of a electric kettle? Is this another luddite American thing?
Probably upwards of 90% of American households boil water with a microwave or on a stovetop. They certainly don't have the "you can get an electric kettle for 5 quid from a charity shop because they're everywhere" thing the UK has. In part this is also because an electric kettle on a 120V supply is poo poo. Toasters in America are also worse.

quote:

An “average” kettle in the UK runs at about 2800 W and in the US at about 1500 W; if we assume that both kettles are 100% efficient than a UK kettle supplying 2800 joules per second will take 127 seconds to boil and a US kettle supplying 1500 J/s will take 237 seconds, more than a minute and a half longer.

Anyway, for my best household items, I would put forward:
A manual food processor. Usually I only want to chop things to 'fine dice' or less. It takes about 10-20 seconds with a manual food processor, which is less time than it would take just to get out and plug in a powered one, and cleanup is also quicker and easier, and you have more control over the chopped-ness level. And it's quieter. A knife is also fine for some things, but making e.g. coleslaw or salsa with a knife is tedious. Hot tip, manual food processor is also good for mixing pastry dough.
A decent cast iron pan.
A decent big silicone turner.
The weirdest one, a mesh cutlery tray. I never would have expected such a dumb thing to make me happy, but we used to have a plastic one and it regularly got gross with dust and soap scum or something, and cutlery would hop over the slopey sides of the sections when the drawer is opened or closed quickly. The mesh one just works, and doesn't get gross. I like things that just work and things that aren't gross. The difference is a tiny happiness boost every time I have to put cutlery away. Probably only a good thing if you previously had a bad cutlery tray though.

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
Space heater

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

When you think about it? That's the Sun

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
My time is best spent not thinking about it but yeah you're right

Squidder
Mar 19, 2003

King of the Cat Tree

Oven Wrangler
I started giving friends electric kettles as gifts and every one of them said it was the best thing ever.

Aside from my electric kettle, my most used kitchen items are:
Microplane
Big wooden cutting board
Flexible plastic cutting boards
Wok
Cooking chopsticks
Commercial Rubbermaid silicon spatulas/scrapers

Rest of the house:
giant jug of Simple Green
microfiber cloths
vacuum cleaner

Specialty item:
Litter-robot. If you have a cat (or lots of cats) it is a miracle product, worth every penny.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Spins posted:

I bought 2 bottles of Dr Bronner's just from reading about it on SA and found it horribly drying to my hands

Wtf

It is horribly drying. I like that. Feature, not a bug.

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
The machine that sucks my dick fuckman

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’m going with my kuerig.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Unfinish3d posted:

Dutch ovens are great and super versatile.

Oh no, I'm not falling for that one again.

I boil water in a pot for my tea and the most useful thing in my home is this wire hanger I straightened out.
So many applications.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
probably my phillips pasta maker, or my baking steel

I make the ebst pizzas and pastas around, forgetaboutit!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
An 8" non-stick pan with Excalibur coating from a restaurant supply. Every omelette PERFECT!!! :boom::boom::boom:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

roomforthetuna posted:

Probably upwards of 90% of American households boil water with a microwave or on a stovetop. They certainly don't have the "you can get an electric kettle for 5 quid from a charity shop because they're everywhere" thing the UK has. In part this is also because an electric kettle on a 120V supply is poo poo. Toasters in America are also worse.

LOL.

But seriously they can't design a 120V kettle? I'm not an electrical engineer or a clever man so.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

An 8" non-stick pan with Excalibur coating from a restaurant supply. Every omelette PERFECT!!! :boom::boom::boom:

*strokes chin in a thinking manner* Yes yes but can it fry deez nuts

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I find that most people lack a good water urn to hold their drinking water for the day.

Personally, I prefer a classic model, The Revigator. This one is designed to bring the full flush of health and well being.

This brand of urn is lined with Uranium ore! The uranium restores the water to full health levels.

100,000 counts per minute!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

sweet thursday posted:

*strokes chin in a thinking manner* Yes yes but can it fry deez nuts

Mount up, cowperson. :clint:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Squidder posted:

I started giving friends electric kettles as gifts and every one of them said it was the best thing ever.
Do they light up like magic

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Literally A Person posted:

Mount up, cowperson. :clint:

A man’s horse. :clint:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

A man’s horse. :clint:

A horse's man. :clint::clint:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Genesplicer posted:

I find that most people lack a good water urn to hold their drinking water for the day.

Personally, I prefer a classic model, The Revigator. This one is designed to bring the full flush of health and well being.

This brand of urn is lined with Uranium ore! The uranium restores the water to full health levels.

100,000 counts per minute!

Lmao this loving owns

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Smythe posted:

Lmao this loving owns

The scary part is that it was actually used for drinking water. You were supposed to fill it each night, allow the water to bathe in the radioactive glow of the Uranium ore, then drink it all the next day. Not sure how many people got cancer from this, but I'm willing to bet several did.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh oh COURSE how could I forget my exercise machine

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Walrus posted:

why wouldn't you want your hands to smell like delicious fresh garlic

this imo.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

E., need to reload

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 9, 2019

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

No good home is complete without a set of buttplugs, in graduated sizes for all your needs

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Genesplicer posted:

That's some awesome radium water but I honestly use my water filter many many times a day. I have a Pur 18 cup water filter and fill it up every day or two. I basically always have a glass of water sitting next to me throughout the day. My water intake has gone down a lot in the past few weeks but I was probably drinking close to a gallon a day.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I got this goofy bug vacuum kids toy thing. I couldn’t find a picture of the exact one I have but it’s something like this.

Just because I don’t like to kill spiders. It sucks them into a little cup with a built in magnifying glass so you can check em out.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 9, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ralph Hurley posted:

I got this goofy bug vacuum kids toy thing. I couldn’t find a picture of the exact one I have but it’s something like this.

Just because I don’t like to kill spiders. It sucks them into a little cup with a built in magnifying glass so you can check em out.
If I need some high powered sucking action I just dial up your mother. :cool:

My water intake has gone down a lot in the past few weeks but I was probably drinking close to a gallon a day.
I recently bought a gigantic water bottle to keep next to my desk so i'll be drinking more water, but the amount of times I had to pee became too much to handle.

Also, for the record I am one of those goons who just learned about an electric kettle. Would have been great during my instant ramen/famine days.

e: for content, one recent purchase I was *really* exicted for was wooden drying racks for clothes. I live in an apartment complex that charges for washer/dryer use, and air drying my clothes on these racks has saved me the awful hassle of withdrawing cash, breaking said cash down into quarters, and hoarding them all. Still havent eliminated washing but at least drying is "free". I felt like an adult because I was actually giddy assembling the dumb things.

buglord fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 9, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Richard M Nixon posted:

Stainless steel garlic soap bar. Chopping garlic means your hands smell like it for the rest of the day. Wash your hands with a stainless steel bar and the smell is gone. It's science, somehow.

any stainless steel will do so any time you handle garlic or onion you can just jerk off the kitchen faucet and youre done. it also makes the smell go away

Pur 18 cup water filter

i have a 30-cup zerowater i like a lot

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Spins posted:

Wtf

Castille soap is drat good at taking off oils and grease. Dilute it 3:1, and keep a good lotion handy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

buglord posted:

e: for content, one recent purchase I was *really* exicted for was wooden drying racks for clothes. I live in an apartment complex that charges for washer/dryer use, and air drying my clothes on these racks has saved me the awful hassle of withdrawing cash, breaking said cash down into quarters, and hoarding them all. Still havent eliminated washing but at least drying is "free". I felt like an adult because I was actually giddy assembling the dumb things.

Foldable drying racks are the bee's god-damned knees. Bonus points if you pick up some old window screens and use the combination to dry large amounts of fruit and veg in the summer time.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

The Walrus posted:

oh oh COURSE how could I forget my exercise machine

Every time I see these, I imagine they were a thinly veiled excuse for housewives to get a masturbation toy since their husbands were too afraid of real ones. Then I think they probably just make you nauseous from being shaken so much. Can anyone weigh in?

Ralph Hurley posted:

My friend has a bug salt shotgun that he loves. It's just a little hand pumped compressed air rock salt thing but he always seems to have fun getting flies with it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

my parents gave me one last christmas and I was like "ok...a vacuum" but it owns hardcore

no more dragging the cord, no more lugging a vacuum behind me that gets stuck in random places, just vacuuming my entire apartment in 10 minutes

thank you dyson, very cool

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Son of Rodney posted:

my parents gave me one last christmas and I was like "ok...a vacuum" but it owns hardcore

no more dragging the cord, no more lugging a vacuum behind me that gets stuck in random places, just vacuuming my entire apartment in 10 minutes

thank you dyson, very cool

Lol if the cia hasn’t collected the kernel from that thing and is actively using it to suck iron out of people. Probably fall apart in a year or so, cheap plastic piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Smythe posted:

I use Dr bronners soap for all my soap needs, other than dish soap. All soap dispensers are Dr bronners.

I haven't seen it in stores for a very long time but Dr Bronner makes an excellent dish soap.

here we go: https://shop.drbronner.com/sal-suds-biodegradable-cleaner

isaboo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 9, 2019