Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tygical
Jul 29, 2023
i love glover (n64)

/)(\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

gotta love the glove

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Star Fox Zero was a divisive game. But one thing I saw all the reviews agree on was that the gyrocopter sections were bad. Which is a shame because those were my favorite parts of the game. I would have bought an entire game of that. Maybe it had something to do with all the SimCopter I played as a kid.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I still dream of a standalone, fleshed out Blitzball sports game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTOYn-rMoU

My dad used to literally kick me off the computer to play this game while we watched. The computer was in my room!

It was a pretty fun game though

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I liked Metroid Prime Blast Ball and I think I was the only one based on how long I had to wait in the waiting rooms

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWTOYn-rMoU

My dad used to literally kick me off the computer to play this game while we watched. The computer was in my room!

It was a pretty fun game though

If he literally kicked you, that's child abuse :mad:

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I think I had 4 games I really enjoyed that few others did:

1. Rampart NES. For whatever reason, I played the ever living hell out of this version of Rampart. Between the canons and the rapid Tetris between rounds, it always felt like your ability was constantly being pushed to the limit. My younger self was also reading a ton of Dragonlance at the time so the idea of hella sweet castles was all I really needed. To this day, no one will play it with me, even on Arcade.

1. Dragonfire Intellivision. Man I love this game. You storm a castle and then steal loot and each time it gets faster. I still play this quite a bit though I can’t seem to get anyone into it.

https://youtu.be/rhCFTqRQO0M?si=VEiQLOmN_j0h9-ei

1. Intellivision Baseball Intellivision. Sports games are a special love of mine. Unfortunately, most folks I know in the world of video games were nerds in high school so they hate sports. But man, this game…such a fantastic use of the intellivision controller.

https://youtu.be/cCgG7Y-XqEw?si=Wtlpu0NHOceKyNn-

1. Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. N64. I don’t know why but when this game was released we rented it and never brought it back. I’m sure I still owe that fine somewhere. The world of goofy rear end fighting games during this era really needs hd upgrades and re-releases.

https://youtu.be/zzJZMK55Gvc?si=8j8paLw4pclVfJj5

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Always happy to see this thread get resurrected.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Gemfire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemfire

I bought this game for like $2 out of a used genesis game bin way back in the day. I've never even met anyone else who played it let alone liked it!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

SlothBear posted:

Gemfire

I bought this game for like $2 out of a used genesis game bin way back in the day. I've never even met anyone else who played it let alone liked it!

It literally won many GOTY awards and sold millions of copies

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

SlothBear posted:

Gemfire

Hi!

Now you have! Admittedly I played the SNES version though. I usually played as Blanche, mostly because I liked Zendor's lightning attack. The last few times I've picked it up I've started with a wizardless noble family as a challenge though. It's pretty basic as strategy games go but can be fun when you want something tactical but without a ton to keep track of.

...! posted:

:shrug: I never knew anyone who played it either. Is it possible the PC version of it was way more popular, or maybe it was a lot bigger in Japan?

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 28, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I loved that game. Played the SNES version at a friends' house way back in the day, but for some reason couldn't get an emulator to work with any roms of it for quite a while.

It kinda felt like there was a lot more history and story behind it than was actually presented in the game.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

...! posted:

Well that would be cool it definitely deserved it. I just looked through the 1991 and 1992 game of the year awards and didn't see a single reference to Gemfire, and the number of the video games that sold over a million copies back in those days was in the single digits and Gemfire isn't listed as one of them. Maybe you're thinking of a different game? Or maybe it was only big in Japan? In any case I'd never heard of it when I found it and just thought eh for $2 it can't be that bad.

Quiet Feet posted:

Hi!

Now you have! Admittedly I played the SNES version though. I usually played as Blanche, mostly because I liked Zendor's lightning attack. The last few times I've picked it up I've started with a wizardless noble family as a challenge though. It's pretty basic as strategy games go but can be fun when you want something tactical but without a ton to keep track of.

:shrug: I never knew anyone who played it either. Is it possible the PC version of it was way more popular, or maybe it was a lot bigger in Japan?

Nice! And yeah I remember it being the hardest game I owned to beat from some of those one province start positions with lots of ways to approach things and all those cool random events and monsters.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I loved that game. Played the SNES version at a friends' house way back in the day, but for some reason couldn't get an emulator to work with any roms of it for quite a while.

It kinda felt like there was a lot more history and story behind it than was actually presented in the game.

I always did wonder if there was a manual that came with it that would have explained who any of the people were or something.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I really miss when koei tecmo did strategy stuff that wasn't just ROTK/NA and their weirder stuff like that ninja rpg and Angelique and uncharted waters 2

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

...! posted:

More than half of your posts in this thread are just coming in to say "well ackshully that game is so so so so popular and you're dumb" and in this case it doesn't even look like you're telling the truth

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ive never heard of it and have downloaded it and put it on the deck because it seems neat. So I at least appreciate the post

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I rented it once. Miss video stores lol. I thought it was cool but I was a very stupid kid. All I remember was the wizard dude that dropped comets on people. I seen to remember a strategy game based on Genghis Khan from around then too that koei did.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

I rented it once. Miss video stores lol. I thought it was cool but I was a very stupid kid. All I remember was the wizard dude that dropped comets on people. I seen to remember a strategy game based on Genghis Khan from around then too that koei did.

That's Blue Wolf and White Doe. There were actually 4 of them. The first 3 you can still get on Steam as the emulated PC-98 versions--they're Japanese-only but you can get them in other regions. The 4th is one of those late 90s Windows games that are probably too much work to update and support on modern systems.

Also every once in a while Tecmo Koei will do a remake of one of their less mainstream titles from the past, like Uncharted Waters 4 or Taiko Risshiden 5. Unfortunately they're only available on Japanese Steam which is a shame because I'd pay lots of money to be able to play Taiko Risshiden 5 on a modern PC.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I seen to remember a strategy game based on Genghis Khan from around then too that koei did.

Yeah, I've played that with my dad and brother quite a bit. I was especially very fond of Bandit Kings of Ancient China, a turn based strategy games also made by Koei.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

...! posted:

Maybe you lack a basic understanding that someone growing up could have an experience that a game they liked, the people around them didn't like, regardless of how popular said game was throughout the whole world when we look back in hindsight.

Also I had never heard of gemfire, either. But you're making it seem like child me was a piece of crap for not knowing about some Medieval simulation game that was ported from the MSX lol.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Kazvall posted:

Also I had never heard of gemfire, either. But you're making it seem like child me was a piece of crap for not knowing about some Medieval simulation game that was ported from the MSX lol.

this is true though, shame on you

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

this is true though, shame on you

I shall repent by unifying "Britain". As long as I don't return home to try and claim any thrones we should be okay.

E: if only they had named it something cooler than gemfire heh

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 29, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Kazvall posted:

I shall repent by unifying "Britain". As long as I don't return home to try and claim any thrones we should be okay.

E: if only they had named it something cooler than gemfire heh

Royal Blood was a much cooler name yeah

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Speaking of old strategy games, one I quite liked was North and South. I'm sure it was a port, but I played it on NES. It was, in a weird way, a kind of proto Total War, because the strategy layer was a map of the US circa civil war, and turn based. But the battles were kind of RTS. You could manually control squads of infantry, cannons, and cavalry. But you could also intercept supply trains, and when you did it turned into a side scrolling thing, with you controlling a single operative that was running along the top of the train trying to get to the front to capture the train. I think the game even had multiple starting scenarios based on the progress of the war. I loved that game as a kid.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Speaking of old strategy games, one I quite liked was North and South. I'm sure it was a port, but I played it on NES. It was, in a weird way, a kind of proto Total War, because the strategy layer was a map of the US circa civil war, and turn based. But the battles were kind of RTS. You could manually control squads of infantry, cannons, and cavalry. But you could also intercept supply trains, and when you did it turned into a side scrolling thing, with you controlling a single operative that was running along the top of the train trying to get to the front to capture the train. I think the game even had multiple starting scenarios based on the progress of the war. I loved that game as a kid.

Oh yeah it was easily in my top 3 NES games, surprising amount of polish & customizable options with nice attention to detail, like cannons could blow up barns and knock down trees. I think it was based off a French comic?

It was hard to get friends interested as the premise sounds so odd like I was trying to get them to play Encarta, and the systems took a while to learn. One buddy also had it and we were at the same skill level & that was incredibly fun. The battles were in real time with infantry, cannons, and calvary so when you were trying to kite each other’s troops would have to watch for them making a quick switch to cannons to try to wreck you & keep an eye on the horses making a move.

Yeah they let you start in 62, 63, and 64. Max challenge against the pretty good AI was to be the south in 64.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah it was easily in my top 3 NES games, surprising amount of polish & customizable options with nice attention to detail, like cannons could blow up barns and knock down trees. I think it was based off a French comic?

It was hard to get friends interested as the premise sounds so odd like I was trying to get them to play Encarta, and the systems took a while to learn. One buddy also had it and we were at the same skill level & that was incredibly fun. The battles were in real time with infantry, cannons, and calvary so when you were trying to kite each other’s troops would have to watch for them making a quick switch to cannons to try to wreck you & keep an eye on the horses making a move.

Yeah they let you start in 62, 63, and 64. Max challenge against the pretty good AI was to be the south in 64.

Holy poo poo someone else has played it. It was one of those experiences that was kinda formative to me, since to my recollection that was probably the first strategy game I ever played. Didn't get a PC and a broader range of strategy games until 95 or so but I think it planted some seeds, despite the fact that I blanked on its existence until a couple days ago.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Belgian technically, but part of the franco-belgian school of comics. It's based on Les Tuniques Bleues who follows the adventures of a dreamy-eyed idealist Union Cavalry Sergeant and his cynical Corporal colleague with deserter tendencies. The comic is humoristic, but depicts the leadership on both sides as sheltered and incompetent, often relying on dumb tactics for various reasons (tradition, incompetence, career goals...), and has the protagonists take part in a good few historical events including the battle of the Monitor and the Merrimack (the first Ironclad ship battle), which is a bit of a feat considering the characters are in the Cavalry.

The game itself really only takes the art and doesn't actually adapt anything from the comic, though you could say that the tactical battles where charging cavalry gets squashed bloodily by cannon fire do kind of touch of the comic depiction of ACW battles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've thought of a game I bet nobody knows: Tremor 3, an old free game my brother and I played tonnes as kids.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 3, 2023

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Mordja posted:

I've thought of a game I bet nobody knows: Tremor 3, and old free game my brother and I played tonnes as kids.

Ooh, a Klik game! Mad respect!
https://kliktopia.org/details/Tremor%203.html
I never played that one, but the author Mark Pay was well-known around that time for another game of his, The Spirit Engine.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Holy poo poo someone else has played it. It was one of those experiences that was kinda formative to me, since to my recollection that was probably the first strategy game I ever played. Didn't get a PC and a broader range of strategy games until 95 or so but I think it planted some seeds, despite the fact that I blanked on its existence until a couple days ago.

Yeah it had incredible polish considering the platform, obscure license, & niche subject matter. If cavalry are shot the horses continue charging with no rider off the map, unless there is a canyon in the way in which case they plummet coyote style complete with sound effects. Possibility of foreign intervention with a ship dropping off an army as a jaunty British tune plays. Storms immobilizing armies.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

once, several epochs ago, my cousins and I spent a brief but enjoyable while playing Dink Smallwood on their family desktop. Since then, I've found myself circling back to it every few years, despite it being a smidge janky and dated. Turns out there's still a mod community for it, even now, and you can even play them on your phone without loving ads all over it :unsmith: only downside is that some of those mods assume you're playing with a keyboard and mouse, and if you're not doing so the resulting interface issues can be a pain

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

SatansOnion posted:

once, several epochs ago, my cousins and I spent a brief but enjoyable while playing Dink Smallwood on their family desktop. Since then, I've found myself circling back to it every few years, despite it being a smidge janky and dated. Turns out there's still a mod community for it, even now, and you can even play them on your phone without loving ads all over it :unsmith: only downside is that some of those mods assume you're playing with a keyboard and mouse, and if you're not doing so the resulting interface issues can be a pain

Hell, yeah. I played Seth Robinson's three BBS door games (Legend of the Red Dragon, the sequel, and Planets: The Exploration of Space), so when it came out that he was working on a single-player game, I got super hyped for it, and it absolutely lived up to it. Glad it's still a thing.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I really miss when koei tecmo did strategy stuff that wasn't just ROTK/NA and their weirder stuff like that ninja rpg and Angelique and uncharted waters 2

What I wouldn't give to see A KOU SHIBUSAWA PRODUCTION again

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

oh my god Aerobiz Supersonic

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh yeah I remember reading about that in Nintendo Power and being confused about if you are controlling the planes or what as I didn’t understand there was a significant market for business simulations that weren’t meant to appeal to kids. Although a buddy did love Wall Street Kid & later made a bundle working on Wall Street so maybe they work? He also liked Caesar II & when watching him play I was confused about his discussion of using deficit spending so may just have been a smart guy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

fuckin yeah

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

PuttyKnife posted:

I think I had 4 games I really enjoyed that few others did:

1. Intellivision Baseball Intellivision. Sports games are a special love of mine. Unfortunately, most folks I know in the world of video games were nerds in high school so they hate sports. But man, this game…such a fantastic use of the intellivision controller.

https://youtu.be/cCgG7Y-XqEw?si=Wtlpu0NHOceKyNn-

Dude, I loved this baseball game growing up. It was one of the few games my dad played with me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Diner! The sequel to Burgertime exclusive to INTV is the best burgertime game that’s been made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

SatansOnion posted:

From what I remember the humor in this game is so lame that it loops around to being charming.