Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Leroy Dennui posted:

From what I remember the humor in this game is so lame that it loops around to being charming.

I have a vague memory of hunting down chickens that turn into roast chickens when you kill them and the protagonist trying to bullshit something about friction heat from his sword strikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

alas, the ducks in the base game just lose their head after one hit, and explode in a shower of gore after another. There's at least one mod that has them sometimes turn into roast-duck health pickups, though (I want to say it's Lyna's Story but I may be wrong)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Gods on the Atari ST (and other platforms)
An ancient action platformer where you are a muscly dude who collects treasure and fights demons or something. Nobody I know played it, and I had forgotten about it until it showed up at a speedrun event, where only the runner had heard of it.

Alien Legacy on PC. A hybrid basebuilder, detective adventure rpg thing and flying game. Probably inspired by Starcontrol. Your colony ship arrives on a distant planet, to find out another colony ship had overtaken you, settled, and gotten wiped out mysteriously. You chat with your crew for story stuff, build your base on several locations, and fight alien monsters or possibly plants with your shuttle. Very confusing game.

North and South on Amiga. Finding the thread and reading the op reminded me of it. A friend of mine had that and we played it a lot. As small European kids we didn't even know that the US ever had a real civil war, let alone what it is about.

Oh and Impulse a more recent game for PC. A physics flying style game with very interesting level design that changes flight physics every level. Afaik the only people who played it are the dev, the ocremix guy who did the soundtrack, and me.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 6, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
e: quote is not edit.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

North and South and certainly Gods were massive hits on the Amiga dude and widely liked, I am pretty sure it was pretty much the same amongst ST users.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i like north and south on the NES

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I never figured it out enough to say if I really liked it but Corncob 3D has one of my favorite titles.

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

Gods on the Atari ST (and other platforms)
An ancient action platformer where you are a muscly dude who collects treasure and fights demons or something. Nobody I know played it, and I had forgotten about it until it showed up at a speedrun event, where only the runner had heard of it.

North and South on Amiga. Finding the thread and reading the op reminded me of it. A friend of mine had that and we played it a lot. As small European kids we didn't even know that the US ever had a real civil war, let alone what it is about.

I played both of those (and liked them) on Amiga as a kid. Both of these have remakes, but the Gods remake doesn't feel very good and North and south remake seems a bit off. Haven't tried it myself, though.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Mike Arthur McVein posted:

I never figured it out enough to say if I really liked it but Corncob 3D has one of my favorite titles.

Spectrum said Corncob 3D is not a real game

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Mike Arthur McVein posted:

I never played corncob 3d but it looked technically impressive in shareware magazines. I always thought it was weird as hell that probably one guy or a pair of friends built a working 3d game for potato-era computers and after all that work decided that “Corncob 3d” was a name that would get people interested the fruit of their blood sweat and tears.

Like corncob… not even the good part of corn that you eat… in 3d.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

holefoods posted:

Spectrum said Corncob 3D is not a real game

Look how that worked out for them.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I had a warez'd version of Frogger for the apple II and I'd used this same monochrome monitor that's hard to see and has shrill sounds and the warez packager stripped the title screen, likely to make it transfer more quickly over a goddamn 300 baud modem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV9lkyY6meI

Imagine playing frogger on this keyboard.

Also had the 2600 frogger, which is also a kind of pathetic version of the game. You need a lot of precision for quick directional presses and the 2600 joystick is not really for that. At least it has color, despite the 2600 not being able to draw the frog on a log, and instead alternated the frog and log graphics on each frame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_M9i2IZBcw

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Coffee Jones posted:

I had a warez'd version of Frogger for the apple II and I'd used this same monochrome monitor that's hard to see and has shrill sounds and the warez packager stripped the title screen, likely to make it transfer more quickly over a goddamn 300 baud modem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV9lkyY6meI

Imagine playing frogger on this keyboard.

I might have. I don't remember the exact model, but when I was in elementary school, the school library had some absolutely ancient macs loaded up with arcade games for play during lunch.

(The newest and most coveted computers had Lucasarts's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure. Never saw anyone get past the Nazi castle.)

Of course, my home machine was even older. Had some old game that seems fitting for this thread where you play as a bomber, with a flying skull as the final boss, and when you beat it, the game looped. Still can't find what the heck that was. (Of course, now that I say that, someone'll talk about how it was a classic selling a billion copies in the first week alone.)

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Just wondering, am I the only person who really really liked the first Ancient Art of War strategy game by Broderbund (PC) ? I've spend so many hours on this one as a kid, in hindsight it's a crappy game

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

It looks cool but I never played any of their pc games that I can remember besides Lode Runner 2. I liked the cult classics they brought to the NES though, especially Guardian Legend, Legacy of the Wizard, Battle of Olympus and Deadly Towers

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Monstaland posted:

Just wondering, am I the only person who really really liked the first Ancient Art of War strategy game by Broderbund (PC) ? I've spend so many hours on this one as a kid, in hindsight it's a crappy game

It was a big deal at the time, enough to get a sequel with another one that was announced and fell through, and it's one of those key evolutionary games that the people who made the games that would become the giant successes played and were inspired by. But it's not really remembered today because strategy games generally fall by the wayside.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Two SNES games I liked that I never see discussed were Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park 2.

Terminator 2 is a side scrolling shooter where you play the titular Terminator and have to essentially follow the plot of the film and protect John Connor while dealing with the T-1000. T2 for SNES is pretty objectively terrible. It's one of those games from that era that's made difficult primarily by having lovely controls and too much unavoidable damage. As the Terminator, you have a pathetically useless jump that gets you like 6 inches off the ground and essentially serves no purpose in the game; I think it's included because it was a side scrolling game in the 90s and therefore needed a jump button I guess.

What I did like about the game was its attention to detail. The game really does hit pretty much every plot point and location in the movie and for the most part is more faithful than most licensed games from that era. You go from the bar, to investigating John's house (not seen in the movie but we do know he went there via dialogue), then to the mall to get John, and then the mental hospital to get Sarah, etc. There's some expansion of areas, but otherwise there's not a lot of weird poo poo added to pad out the game. There are, however, terrible isometric driving sequences to get from one area to the next, and after the mall each driving sequence will include police cars trying to ram you repeatedly until your bike explodes and gives you a game over.

However, the game does do some innovative stuff. You can tell John and Sarah to follow or stay out depending on what you are doing, and you have to watch out for their health. You can protect them by standing between them and enemies trying to shoot them, as of course you can take a lot more punishment as the Terminator. The T-1000 starts showing up like some proto-Nemesis enemy, you can't kill him but you can make him go away for a bit by shooting him until he splits in half. Usually he pops up at the very end of the mall sequence as you are leaving with John, but if you go fast enough you may not, or he may pop up right as you are leaving. Conversely, he can show up earlier at John's house if you take too long to figure out where John is and leave. Also if you don't shoot out the alarm box on the house before entering, you will set off the alarm and cops will start showing up (you end up shooting a metric ton of cops in this game). It's not some hidden gem or anything, it's very flawed and frustrating to play, but it's interesting enough that if you are a fan of the franchise, I'd recommend checking it out.

Jurassic Park 2, on the other hand, is an extremely goofy game extremely loosely based on the Jurassic Park license. It was pre-Lost World, I think, and it's a game about going back to Isla Nublar as a jacked up armed to the teeth Alan Grant to save the dinos from Biosyn mercs. It's essentially a Contra clone with dinosaurs, and while not a Metroidvania (it has distinct levels that can be selected in any order), the levels in the game have different formats to navigate. For instance there's one mission that's strictly left to right side scrolling, with trenches and obstacles for cover as your progress, and lots of human enemies to fight along the way. The Gallimus also run through the level at various intervals and can knock you down which deals small amounts of damage.

Which brings up another game mechanic: non-lethal vs lethal. You are supposed to be saving the dinos, so there is a counter that starts at 100 and goes lower with every dino you kill, except raptors, as Ingen has recognized that they are too dangerous and smart to be park critters. To accomplish this the game lets you switch from lethal to non-lethal weapons at will, and between 3 different types of each (you start with access to all the weapons and don't find more throughout the game, but two out of each weapon type have limited ammo and you have to find ammo drops to reload them). So you have to use non-lethal weapons for most dinos, and lethal weapons for human enemies and raptors (you can non-lethal the raptors if you want, but non-lethal weapons have zero effect on people lol). There is a level with primarily vertical movement with crumbling blocks and pterodactyls that can knock you to your death if you fall far enough (shades of Ninja Gaiden NES birds here). There's also one that takes place in an underground facility and requires you to navigate similarly to a Metroidvania and has primarily human enemies. And there's a level where you ride on the back of a jeep and have to keep shooting to keep it from catching up.

The gameplay variety is enough to keep it interesting for me, and the play controls and shooting mechanics are great, it handles very well. It's still pretty loving difficult, and while it does have a lower difficulty mode, it ends after you complete 3 or 4 levels before telling you that you are babby and need to play big boy mode to see the rest of the game. It does have a two player mode, where the second player takes control of a character made up for the game, a merc hired by Ingen and who is basically a pallete swapped Grant that is black. In classic 2p fashion, if you are down on lives you can steal them from whatever lives your partner has left.

I was pretty excited to see it as part of the limited run games JP collection, but I refunded nearly immediately as the sound and graphic effects have been changed and are highly inferior, the guns sound stupid as hell and they've changed the appearance of the projectiles and pickups for no good reason. If you want to give it a try, I highly recommend emulating instead. I also still have my SNES cart and a Super Nintendo for the most authentic experience. Anyway I would encourage anyone halfway interested to check it out, because it IS a hidden gem and I think I may be one of the only people who absolutely loves this game.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

no one ever got past the driving section in terminator 2

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Robocop vs The Terminator is one that I remember playing way too much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNv6r5gMA-A

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

no one ever got past the driving section in terminator 2

The ones on the C64 (a completely different game, tbh) were even worse

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

John looks visibly disappointed, and Arnie's expression just says "sorry kid, I thought this was going to be a way better video game"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ESPN Extreme Games apparently actually sold fairly well? But I've certainly never heard anyone talk about it. Graphically it is abominable, if SEGA had been like "Hey look at this plate of hot dogshit" they might have killed the PS1 stone dead on the spot, and the gameplay is a rote variant of Road Rash except you're on manually powered stuff, of which there are four options; mountain bike, skateboard, rollerskates, and street luge. You race along various tracks and try to get through bonus gates for points and cash. Each track has a very short section that isn't really a shortcut (though a couple are faster than the regular road because they avoid some obstacles) but contain several bonus gates. There's a 'season' mode where you do each track several times to get high scores and you can purchase better versions of vehicles with the money you earn. And that's about it, there are only five tracks (!) and each race is between four and five minutes long with the shittiest gear. There are short FMVs of a woman who provides extremely brief comments on your most recent race sometimes, or tells you you've accessed the bonus track which is a completely straight line with bonus cash gates. That's the sum total.

And despite this, despite being a mediocre game with hideous visuals and amazingly little content (I just checked YouTube and there's a "longplay" which is one hour and change), despite being a game that can't really be defended even on the grounds of it being a release game in NA, I really liked it back in the day and if I want to just chill for 20 minutes it's still something I'll fire it up and do a couple of races.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

You’re not alone on that one, my friend is a pretty big fan of it too. I was sort of confused when he said the name since not many sports games stand up to the test of time in people’s minds aside from Blitz and NBA Jam (I still haven’t played despite his recommendation.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

holefoods posted:

You’re not alone on that one, my friend is a pretty big fan of it too. I was sort of confused when he said the name since not many sports games stand up to the test of time in people’s minds aside from Blitz and NBA Jam (I still haven’t played despite his recommendation.)

Huh, well how about that! :hfive: to your buddy for having kinda weird taste!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Watched a fun video about a game only this guy liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qylymkoVnuo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dell_Zincht posted:

The ones on the C64 (a completely different game, tbh) were even worse

There was another entirely different version on the NES as well (and it came after IIRC). That's one thing I miss from that era, different licensed properties getting sometimes wildly different games by different teams or studios. Hell, the NES had two entirely different Indiana Jones and the Last Crusades. I only ever played the first one, which used mini games and different kinds of gameplay elements to represent the different sequences from the movie. I think the second one was a more straightforward action platformer that was generally better reviewed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Killingyouguy! posted:

Watched a fun video about a game only this guy liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qylymkoVnuo

I’m at work and can’t get the video to load on the lovely service, but is that the “Garfield Trapped in the TV” game? I had that as a kid and liked it but I have no idea why I enjoyed it at all, looking back it was a terrible game. I think it may have been the 90’s “bought a stinker and now I’m stuck with it so I may as well make the best of it” thing.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m at work and can’t get the video to load on the lovely service, but is that the “Garfield Trapped in the TV” game? I had that as a kid and liked it but I have no idea why I enjoyed it at all, looking back it was a terrible game. I think it may have been the 90’s “bought a stinker and now I’m stuck with it so I may as well make the best of it” thing.

No it's a "garfiled has to vacuum" game from 2004

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Monstaland posted:

Nope! I used to pummel Crazy Ivan with barbarian hordes that solved the problem of knights by simply running around them.

I enjoyed E.T. for the 2600, probably because I'd read the manual. It was a decent attempt at an open-world game that warned you about the pitfalls (heh) and I love pointing out that I probably have more hours spent playing the game than HSW spent writing it.

My dad got me the Tsang Hai pirate cart for Christmas one year, and I played the poo poo out of Tag Team Match: M.U.S.C.L.E. with no idea everyone knew it was bad. Formation Z, Lunar Pool and Warpman were also great fun that nobody I knew had heard of.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

flakeloaf posted:

Nope! I used to pummel Crazy Ivan with barbarian hordes that solved the problem of knights by simply running around them.

That reminded me of Krazy Ivan, and I have no earthly idea of if other people like it or not but boy did I love it, killing big weird monsters and also FMVs so cheesy they made Command and Conquer look like the Royal Shakespeare Company.

:ussr: "Like shooting monkeys in a barrel."
;-* "That's fish, Commander."
:ussr: "What?"
;-* "The expression is 'Like shooting fish in a barrel.'"
:ussr: "No no no fish aren't so easy, no; a grenade is better with fish."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Heroes of Annihilated Empires, an obscure RTS by the same company that made STALKER. I think it has an art style that still really holds up.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
William Shatner's TekWar. I only had the demo when I was young but damned if a real city didn't captivate me at the time. I'm sure it's aged horribly but I sunk a lot of hours into it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Aware posted:

William Shatner's TekWar. I only had the demo when I was young but damned if a real city didn't captivate me at the time. I'm sure it's aged horribly but I sunk a lot of hours into it.

civvie's video on tekwar and all those old capstone games is a pro watch

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
THE PINNACLE OF ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

civvie's video on tekwar and all those old capstone games is a pro watch

Mordja posted:

THE PINNACLE OF ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE

it's true

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ms Adequate posted:

That reminded me of Krazy Ivan, and I have no earthly idea of if other people like it or not but boy did I love it, killing big weird monsters and also FMVs so cheesy they made Command and Conquer look like the Royal Shakespeare Company.

:ussr: "Like shooting monkeys in a barrel."
;-* "That's fish, Commander."
:ussr: "What?"
;-* "The expression is 'Like shooting fish in a barrel.'"
:ussr: "No no no fish aren't so easy, no; a grenade is better with fish."

I loved that game.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Boris and Natasha on the hunt for Moose and Squirrel :q:

That early SNES->PS1 era was a weird mind shift. We go from sidescrolling platformers from Capcom, Konami, Nintendo to a big variety of stuff from independent japanese studios, European studios who shipped on Amiga, a bit of PC inspired stuff.

Fury 3 was a demo first person flying shooting game for windows 95. Imagine Descent but as an open world game with a few missions.
I can't be the only one who liked it but - the NES/SNES rom collection is passed around like candy to play on $30 alibaba devices while running anything from early Windows 95 is ... "hope you know what a virtual machine is"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmOtHKZHjxU
okay - now imagine this software rendered game running at somewhere from 20 - 50 FPS on a Pentium 75mhz.

Anyway, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to port this to PS1.

more obscure:
Into The Eagles Nest is a WW II themed Gauntlet-alike. I wound up playing it on a friend's C64. Having a large map for you to wander through and shoot dudes utterly entranced me. But this was awhile before I'd come across Gauntlet and learned how games can influence each other.
Having finite ammo that needed to be rationed out was mind blowing to me.
There was also an area on the later floors that had crates of dynamite that would explode when shot, resulting in an to an instant game over. Except your bullets could travel off screen. sucks to be you, play again!
Also, how do you open a crate to find collectables? You shoot it! So, don't shoot twice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNLBcx1EZec

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 24, 2024

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Coffee Jones posted:

more obscure:
Into The Eagles Nest is a WW II themed Gauntlet-alike. I wound up playing it on a friend's C64. Having a large map for you to wander through and shoot dudes utterly entranced me. But this was awhile before I'd come across Gauntlet and learned how games can influence each other.
Having finite ammo that needed to be rationed out was mind blowing to me.
There was also an area on the later floors that had crates of dynamite that would explode when shot, resulting in an to an instant game over. Except your bullets could travel off screen. sucks to be you, play again!
Also, how do you open a crate to find collectables? You shoot it! So, don't shoot twice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNLBcx1EZec

I used to love playing that one. Though I always thought it was more Wolfenstein inspired.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

9 year old me felt like a tactical genius after finding out single archers could kill full squads of knights and barbarians because of how the ai moves in line towards a single archer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mordja posted:

Heroes of Annihilated Empires, an obscure RTS by the same company that made STALKER. I think it has an art style that still really holds up.

That's giving me Empire Earth vibes.

I know the original EE has aged horribly (it came out in 2001), but I miss that game. Playing through fourteen (?) epochs of human history kicked rear end back when I was a high schooler.