Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Random Stranger posted:

I used to love playing that one. Though I always thought it was more Wolfenstein inspired.

Sure. Eagle's Nest has Apple II Wolfenstein's theme where you have a mission in a castle and have to sneak around and try not to get caught (ah crap that's Metal Gear...)
but the way the enemies pile up around doors and just wait for you to open doors up and start mowing enemies down is VERY much Gauntlet. I'm not sure if the enemies actually fire at you or you just receive damage by having them touch you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's giving me Empire Earth vibes.

I know the original EE has aged horribly (it came out in 2001), but I miss that game. Playing through fourteen (?) epochs of human history kicked rear end back when I was a high schooler.

Some guys are working on a spiritual successor for EE, tho who knows if it'll ever see release.
https://www.youtube.com/@EmpireEternal/videos

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Battleborn being defeated by Overwatch is a sign we are in the dark timeline.

Also I am the only person who played Summoner 2 and I loved it. It was like a Prophesied Queen Bitch simulator and a decently meaty Action RPG at its core, with interesting characters and a unique aesthetic to everything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Untrue I loved both Summoner games, getting to be queen in the second one and handing out queenly decrees and then going off and killing poo poo personally was great. I still remember in the first one being stunned at how massive Lenele felt, I'd never seen anything like it as a console baby.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
When I was a kid I was so excited for PS2 that I had a dream where I played Summoner and it rocked. Never actually played the game for real though.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Coffee Jones posted:

Fury 3 was a demo first person flying shooting game for windows 95. Imagine Descent but as an open world game with a few missions.
I can't be the only one who liked it but - the NES/SNES rom collection is passed around like candy to play on $30 alibaba devices while running anything from early Windows 95 is ... "hope you know what a virtual machine is"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmOtHKZHjxU
okay - now imagine this software rendered game running at somewhere from 20 - 50 FPS on a Pentium 75mhz.

Anyway, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to port this to PS1.

Didn't Fury3 get bundled with certain editions of win95 or something? I remember seeing this on a demo machine at a store and thinking it looked pretty neat.
I'm not sure which came first, but it's almost indentical to Terminal Velocity (review on page 58 here), sharing the same engine and gameplay. I played the hell out of the TV demo but never got a chance to try Fury3 until it started hitting abandonware sites.
Googling it just now, it looks like TV got a remaster a while ago, but you can probably run it in dosbox if you want a strangely familiar offbrand Fury3 experience.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Fury3 was one of the Win95 sampler disc games, as a demo I think

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

Didn't Fury3 get bundled with certain editions of win95 or something? I remember seeing this on a demo machine at a store and thinking it looked pretty neat.
I'm not sure which came first, but it's almost indentical to Terminal Velocity (review on page 58 here), sharing the same engine and gameplay. I played the hell out of the TV demo but never got a chance to try Fury3 until it started hitting abandonware sites.
Googling it just now, it looks like TV got a remaster a while ago, but you can probably run it in dosbox if you want a strangely familiar offbrand Fury3 experience.

Terminal Velocity is the original, at least. Fury3 predated DirectX and was a Windows program so it was the worse playing version of the game.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Mordja posted:

Some guys are working on a spiritual successor for EE, tho who knows if it'll ever see release.
https://www.youtube.com/@EmpireEternal/videos

Cool! I hope this succeeds. I don't know if EE would even run on my modern Linux system.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I thought Hover was the included game but I could be wrong. And I didn't like it very much.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Sonic Spinball: I've never heard a positive thing about this game. At best, people seemed to have been "meh" on it, but I played the poo poo out of it as a kid. Having no background in pinball, I had no idea the physics engine was that loving janky. (Then the pokemon pinball games came out and I became educated.) Regardless, I've been going back to it as a quick time waster on my emu handhelds. And I have to say I still enjoy it. The music tracks slap.

Knights in the Nightmare: All the talk surrounding this game revolved around the insane mash-up of game elements it employs. And it actually got pretty good reviews. (Typically, 8/10+ or so.) But I've never actually heard anyone else say they liked it. I was obsessed with it from the moment I started it up. Pretty intriguing story. The most anime character designs you've ever seen. :v: And the gameplay was super frenetic and actually took some strategy once you learned all the mechanics. It also made good use of the DS set-up. It was basically impossible to get the good ending without a guide, though. And a new game + feature that flips the heroine's identity.

I liked it so much, when I heard they were re-releasing it on the PSP, I bought that port, too. And the loss of the second screen and stylus controls really cranked the difficulty.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Sonic Spinball: I've never heard a positive thing about this game. At best, people seemed to have been "meh" on it, but I played the poo poo out of it as a kid. Having no background in pinball, I had no idea the physics engine was that loving janky. (Then the pokemon pinball games came out and I became educated.) Regardless, I've been going back to it as a quick time waster on my emu handhelds. And I have to say I still enjoy it. The music tracks slap.

I actually loved Spinball when I was a kid, partly because it was one of the few pinball games you could get on a console.
Also it featured the Freedom Fighters during a time I was super into the Sonic cartoons and comics.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Sonic Spinball for the Sega Game Gear is the first video game I remember playing. :hai:

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

First game I ever remember playing is Hogan's Alley.

I just checked out a video of it, it's the first time I've seen it in decades and that music came flooding back to me, it's great.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Knights in the Nightmare: All the talk surrounding this game revolved around the insane mash-up of game elements it employs. And it actually got pretty good reviews. (Typically, 8/10+ or so.) But I've never actually heard anyone else say they liked it. I was obsessed with it from the moment I started it up. Pretty intriguing story. The most anime character designs you've ever seen. :v: And the gameplay was super frenetic and actually took some strategy once you learned all the mechanics. It also made good use of the DS set-up. It was basically impossible to get the good ending without a guide, though. And a new game + feature that flips the heroine's identity.

I liked it so much, when I heard they were re-releasing it on the PSP, I bought that port, too. And the loss of the second screen and stylus controls really cranked the difficulty.

A girl in high school lent me her favourite game and it was this. If I remember everything correctly, the tutorial took me at least an hour and that was just the required chapters of the tutorial, I later discovered there was an additional 100 or so chapters of additional tutorial?? Super complicated

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Killingyouguy! posted:

A girl in high school lent me her favourite game and it was this. If I remember everything correctly, the tutorial took me at least an hour and that was just the required chapters of the tutorial, I later discovered there was an additional 100 or so chapters of additional tutorial?? Super complicated

Yeah, the initial tutorial set is pretty extensive. But without it, the basics would be drat near impenetrable.

It's pretty fair to say the learning curve on the game was basically a sheer cliff face. :v:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pulsarcat posted:

I actually loved Spinball when I was a kid, partly because it was one of the few pinball games you could get on a console.
Also it featured the Freedom Fighters during a time I was super into the Sonic cartoons and comics.

My parents bought me Sonic Spinball to tide me over until Sonic 3 came out, and I actually continued playing it over Sonic 3 when I bought that as I simply HAD to get past "The Machine" and then complete the game before I could move on.

Then of course I found out the last level was "Final Showdown" and quite frankly, gently caress that level.

Opened up Sonic 3 and never looked back.

The music was great though, particularly Lava Powerhouse.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I put in an honest try on Spinball probably every other year or so and I don’t think it’s that bad but it’s just too fiddly and frustrating for me to ever power through it

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah Knights in the Nightmare is a personal favorite, it really is a fantastic game. But like most Sting games, it's complicated. Definitely worth playing though, it's so unique and fun.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, the initial tutorial set is pretty extensive. But without it, the basics would be drat near impenetrable.

It's pretty fair to say the learning curve on the game was basically a sheer cliff face. :v:

I skipped all but the necessities and therefore only learned on the second to last map that you can change the element of an enemy by circling on them with the stylus when you knocked them down.

Also missed some early recruitables since I didn't know the character items had to be used on their specific maps.

Wonderful game, need to go back and do a good ending run someday.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

I had it and played it as a kid. I didn't notice anything wrong with the physics, but the music gets old after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQcX8XuLMQI

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I had it and played it as a kid. I didn't notice anything wrong with the physics, but the music gets old after a while.

I had this

It was awful.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

What. The. gently caress?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dell_Zincht posted:

I had this

It was awful.

Hahaha. So did I. IIRC, the speaker blew out like day 2 of owning it, so I just had to play it muted the whole time. :v: