Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

my friend and i played a shitload of Destrega which was a 3d fightingish game for the PS1. you could melee up close or build magic attacks at range using 3 buttons to sort of 'make' a spell. each character had their own properties attached to these spells. it was not very good, or if i remember a very deep game, but for whatever reason we went mad for it.

I played that game once or twice. A friend of mine either rented it or else bought it and then traded it in shortly after. It was really unique, but I think you're right about it not being deep. As I recall you mostly run around spamming fireballs of varying speed/power/homing? I can still hear the main character saying "iru, est, est!" in my head. And there was a woman character whose breast-physics were truly preposterous in a way that I doubt anyone found sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds is basically Age of Empires with a Star Wars skin. We LAN'd the poo poo out of this game in high school during Cisco class and it ruled.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Project Eden had a weird rear end story and odd aesthetics, but man, you couldn't beat having a four-player co-op third person shooter with puzzle solving and shooting poo poo. IIRC it was on a few different systems, but we had the PS2 version and my friends all racked up a ton of hours in it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Nightmare of Druaga on PS2 is a pretty fun little roguelite based on an old Namco arcade game. Amazingly got a US localization and can be had for like 4 bucks. I think me and probably four or five other people bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=763G7OJ80Jo

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Trying to get people to play Netstorm:Islands at War when blizzard RTS games existed was quite the struggle

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SeXReX posted:

Trying to get people to play Netstorm:Islands at War when blizzard RTS games existed was quite the struggle

i played it

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Good soup! posted:

Project Eden had a weird rear end story and odd aesthetics, but man, you couldn't beat having a four-player co-op third person shooter with puzzle solving and shooting poo poo. IIRC it was on a few different systems, but we had the PS2 version and my friends all racked up a ton of hours in it.

All we ever ended up doing was weird parkour poo poo with the co-op. Mind you, it was incredible.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I would say Ascendancy but I've actually met someone else who played it and liked it. It's a 4x game with pretty colors, good alien music, fun ship-building, but also the dumbest AI ever made.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Heath posted:

Nightmare of Druaga on PS2 is a pretty fun little roguelite based on an old Namco arcade game. Amazingly got a US localization and can be had for like 4 bucks. I think me and probably four or five other people bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=763G7OJ80Jo

Boy, I sure do enjoy a lot of games only other people liked. :v: I bought this before I really understood what a roguelike was, hated it, picked it up again years later after having played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and was hooked.

It might be my favorite roguelike because the dungeons are actually designed (only the bonus floors are randomly generated), so it doesn't feel quite so chaotic and uniformly bland. It's neat that they incorporated Tower of Druaga game mechanics into the design, like the weird invisible conditions to make silver and gold bonus chests appear on each floor. Also the Ropers (yes, the 1st ed. D&D monster) are terrifying.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's got a cute little story too if I remember right. It's been a while since I played it. But yeah, the dungeon design was also pretty fun. It's its own little thing.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I just bought Tower of Druaga based on this thread, you guys better be right!

I knew so many kids who liked Bad Dudes back in the day but it seems I only ever hear people trashing it now. It's really fast-paced and has a great soundtrack. Am I alone in still liking it? I think it holds up better than Double Dragon at least.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I loved Giants: Citizen Kabuto so much but I think it was just too weird for most people. The multiplayer was amazing when you had a full server of people playing each of the 3 races/factions to the player limit.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Quiet Feet posted:

People must be discovering it because it's selling for a lot more than it was when I picked it up. I think I got it from the GameStop bin for $1.99.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

Quiet Feet posted:

I knew so many kids who liked Bad Dudes back in the day but it seems I only ever hear people trashing it now. It's really fast-paced and has a great soundtrack. Am I alone in still liking it? I think it holds up better than Double Dragon at least.

I love Bad Dudes and had it as a kid, but feel it’s very sluggish compared to Double Dragon. Still enjoy both of them, though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Tombs & Treasure is another one that I really enjoyed but no one else has ever heard of. My mom bought me a CiB copy from a comic shop back when everyone was dumping their NES stuff and it remains the only copy of the game I've ever seen in person. It's half adventure game half JRPG, and while it's not really good at doing either of those things it is definitely unique. It also has a great soundtrack, and there's something about it that I can't quite put my finger on but it really stands out among NES music in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttXSsrKUe2I

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Heath posted:

People must be discovering it because it's selling for a lot more than it was when I picked it up. I think I got it from the GameStop bin for $1.99.

Used copies on Ebay are still i the sub $10 range but I snagged a new one for $15. It's amazing how much new old stock is still out there for various systems.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Shadows of the Damned was a fantastic 3rd person shooter by Mikami and Suda51. Some of the humor is juvenile and stupid but the combat and setting were fantastic.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
I remember playing an old fighting series on the psx by Square called Tobal. It was kind of Virtua Fighterish, but it also had a neat kind of dungeon crawler beat em up mode too that let you run around in a 3D environment and bust stuff up. Can’t say it was good but I liked it when I was a kid and no one I knew heard of it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Escape Velocity Series for Mac. 2d overhead space exploration/combat/trading game where you start with a puny shuttle and can work your way up to flying carriers and battleships.

Making the games Mac specific limited the audience and I never see them mentioned today, but definite standouts for all time best space adventure.

I think the later ones ended up getting a port to Windows, although I think it came out later (much like the ports the other way).

They also had one of the best shareware nagging systems ever. A dubious distinction maybe. Hector the pilot would show up in-game and keep attacking you randomly if you didn't have a key.

It's always been a bit disappointing to me that so few games managed the story thread structure in space exploration as well as this one did. You could have really short quests or long chains, and that's what made mods fit in easily.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Oh, it was better than that. Captain Hector never attacked you randomly. He just periodically jumped into whatever system you were in and nagged you to register as he flew by. If you ever attacked him, however, he obliterated you.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
The Warlords Battlecry Series , specifically the third and final one. Its a great rts/rpg hybrid with heaps of asymmetrical factions and classes. It came out around the same time as SpellForce, a game I didn't enjoy but a game everyone else seems to remember. Compared to SpellForce and Warcraft III the graphics are poo poo but the gameplay is super fast and the hero creation aspect is remarkably flexible. The GoG version comes with a fan patch which some people hate as it seroiusly screwed around with the summoner class but its fine. I think there was a fan update on Mods database or something but avoid that like the plague as in my humble experience it ruins a lot of what made the game great and always a little unpredictable which is its faction and class balances (or lack thereof).

I also need a new Little Big Adventure game and its a drat shame that series has been relegated to obscure PC history.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rollersnake posted:

Oh, it was better than that. Captain Hector never attacked you randomly. He just periodically jumped into whatever system you were in and nagged you to register as he flew by. If you ever attacked him, however, he obliterated you.

I believe he was named after a parrot in Ambrosia Studios’ office

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Rollersnake posted:

looking it up, it varied from game to game. The parrot always outclassed you, but it ranged from just a little nagging, to stealing a percentage of your money, to escalating based on how many days you'd been playing an unregistered copy -including if you'd been playing for 30 days just obliterating you with their godship

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 17, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My cousin had an old NES game called Conflict that was a pretty generic turn based war game set in the cold war, but kid me loved the way when you attacked there was a little turn based battle system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWbsZBWTJUg

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
There was a Tetris clone called Mosaic that I only ever saw in one arcade, and was very difficult to find a ROM for when I searched it out years ago, so I really doubt it had any other fans, but the music was especially great.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Metropolismania 1 & 2 for PS2, wildly quirky little town builders with questionable localization

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was going to comment more assuredly in this thread, but it turns out every "unpopular" game that I've liked has gotten at least a 7 out of 10 rating.

That said, I have literally never even heard anyone mention Dark Spire for DS in real life or on the internet, which is the game I was going to post here.

It’s one of my favorite games.

Here’s an anecdote just for you. The first time I played the game I solved the infamous “white cat” puzzle easily because my best friends wife had a Sanrio dish towel. It actually said “I weigh as much as three apples!” on it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Metropolismania 1 & 2 for PS2, wildly quirky little town builders with questionable localization

I recommend that game (the first one, haven't played the second) to anyone I think has a sweet tooth for good, strange ideas and the patience to deal with the fact that those games' reach often exceeds their grasp.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Police Quest: SWAT 2 on PC, similar to Jagged Alliance or XCom, lead the LAPD on missions to rescue hostages, arrest high profile suspects, all while being held to a high standard, meaning no unnecessary gunfire and harming anyone is a big deal. More fun than it sounds, especially as you can ram down walls, rappel onto roofs, and deploy police dogs, and a perfect mission score likely meant zero shots fired. Although the voiced debriefings could be hilarious, especially when the LAPD helicopter mysteriously went down in flames.

In an interesting twist there is also a campaign for a California cult battling the cops while taking recruits and loot. Their guys are much lower skilled but disposable and chaotic mission results are fine if the objective was achieved.

For a series built around police procedures, surprisingly the bad guys were allowed to win and their final mission is a successful escape from LAX. Both sides had a persistent campaign where units could gain skills or get killed or maimed and be lost forever. The cult had an awesome mechanic where your starting unit pool is low skill but you can hand out pamphlets during missions and bring back potential recruits and some would end up joining.

Not a defensible game on technical issues, snipers are overpowered and the AI ignores them, graphics are a mess, and rifles have unlimited ammo so selling everyone’s pistol for cash breaks the early game. Still a weirdly ambitious sim that I couldn’t get anyone else to care about.

I still loved that game, and I think I only ever played the demo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It didn't happen at release but when I played through the Xenosaga trilogy this year for the first time, I was mildly surprised to learn that I'm probably the only person on the planet who thinks 2 is the best game of the series

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It took me three attempted playthroughs of Xenosaga Episode 1 to come to terms with the fact that I kinda hated it. I was attracted to it because it was ambitious and cinematic, but every moment I spent with that game just felt like I was putting up with tedious bullshit because I wanted to like it and it might get less dull eventually.

I guess the soundtrack was nice, on the occasion it was present.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Two games that I really enjoy and am thankful got released through GOG are Uprising: Join or Die and Magic Carpet 2. I know both are probably more liked than others on this thread, but they're ones that you never hear about when people talk about older games, and the Magic Carpet games are ones I never hear when people talk about Bullfrog's titles.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

I guess the soundtrack was nice, on the occasion it was present.

it would be nice if it had more than literally two battle themes, one for the final boss and one for everything else

i want to replay those games but only if namco puts out some collection.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm going to add another to my list of games that I loved but am not sure how other people felt about it because I never heard or saw anyone mention it anywhere: Journeyman Project Turbo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Both Kane & Lynch games.

To be honest I am still not sure why people hated them.
I thought they were amazing, gritty Tarantino like storyline.
And being tortured to gently caress, and escaping while buck naked, running through the streets was hilarious.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm going to add another to my list of games that I loved but am not sure how other people felt about it because I never heard or saw anyone mention it anywhere: Journeyman Project Turbo.

I will forever get Journeyman Project mixed up with Time Commando, a game I liked but will be the first to admit is really not very good at all.

I think I got it for free.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hell, throw in all the Journeyman Project games, I loved the hell out of em, probably one of the only games with FMV I ever found engaging

Presto Studios was a cool company, I sent them an email about getting a replacement disk for Buried in Time and they sent me a nice message and a few days later I got the disk, an extra demo disk, tons of decals and a replica patch of the time patrol team.or whatever the gently caress, it was awesome to 12-year-old me :unsmith:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quarth. I don't know how many people remember it. It was an arcade game ported to the Game Boy, it was like a Tetris SHMUP. It had some neat mechanics.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Quarth. I don't know how many people remember it. It was an arcade game ported to the Game Boy, it was like a Tetris SHMUP. It had some neat mechanics.

I hadn't heard about this until I worked my way through the excellent Game Boy Works video series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPeJo7eXfJ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
It wasn't the best, and it probably was done much better else where, but god drat did I love SWIV 3D. Just me and a little jeep bouncing around across a 3d world in the mid-90s blowing stuff up. I remember I loved how the vehicle missiles actually changed as you switched between them and switching between the Jeep/Helicopter/Snowmobile.