Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Spellcross, a mid/late '90s turn-based game from I think the Czech Republic. It was a tactics game like X-COM, only at a larger scale (you commanded platoons/companies of troops instead of individual soldiers) and with simpler strategic-level gameplay. The plot was that modern Earth got invaded by a fantasy-themed Army of Darkness, orcs and undead and the like, and you are placed in charge of a multi-national army trying to drive them back. The game had a creepy Eurojank atmosphere to it: when you first meet the undead you end up in a ghost town with no one in sight, only to get suddenly rushed by very tough skeletons that creep your forces out unnaturally - you're actually expected to retreat and come back with flamethrowers rather than stay and fight. As the game progresses, both sides start adapting to each other. The Earth troops go from basic armor against orc axes to stuff like railguns, but also start using the more fantastic resources made available by the invasion: mithril armor kits for tanks and eventually things like psychic commandos. So does the Army of Darkness, with golems using armor-piercing beams as anti-tank guns, goblin bombardiers, and eventually full-on 40K-style orcs in camo with M16s. It was fun but it got pretty hard later on, you go from drawing enemy forces with a recon Humvee into your waiting, fortified troops, to real shitshows where you have to charge uphill guns blazing or get wiped out by fireball artillery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Leroy Dennui posted:

From what I remember the humor in this game is so lame that it loops around to being charming.

I have a vague memory of hunting down chickens that turn into roast chickens when you kill them and the protagonist trying to bullshit something about friction heat from his sword strikes.