Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Oh man, I've fantasized about this exactly. Twilight 2000 is about a bunch of under-equipped scavengers scrapping their way across a hostile landscape, so it's exactly the kind of poo poo that Fria Ligan is so good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Yea I expect it'll take a lot of the good learnings from their transition from MYZ to Forbidden Lands and apply those liberally. Things like the clearing up of how expeditions work, and introducing more than one way to gather and increase resources that you have no level in already.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Vaesan has just arrived for me as a Kickstarter, and the general release is now on the website as well. I'll chuck up some more detail into the OP around that game this weekend.
Also, Alien has a new Cinematic Campaign and a Starter Pack that are coming out this month with a focus on the Colonial Marines.

Also, Twilight 2k now has a Kickstarter release date of August 12th, so I'll put up a post when that goes up for if people are interested.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I really like the overall rule system for Forbidden Lands, in particular the exploration and stronghold mechanics and the card driven 1v1 combat system. The only part I want to work differently is the lethality/death spirals. I have a question for someone with more experience with the game: if I hammered in the hit points from Coriolis (Strength + Agility as a separate pool), would that break play?

I've never played Coriolis so I can't exactly tell. Does it make things too survivable? I'm ideally shooting for what I would call medium lethality, where death is a possibility but not a drat near guarantee. Additionally, are there any secondary effects I'm not seeing that this change might cause?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Arguably the only thing it would effect is being Broken by other effects.
You could try anything that is an "untyped" damage going to the new pool of Hit Points, and anything that is specifically "typed" damage (IE, despair, poison, starvation, fear, non-combat injury) going to the relevant attribute. It would make combat much less lethal, but leave the non-combat lethality as it stands, which is more controllable from a GM standpoint imho. Combat was always the most dangerous thing for my groups in FBL and MYZ (which are very very similar), and would often start off any sort of death spiral.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with Oktoberlandet? My DM expressed a desire to maybe try it out and it seems kinda interesting on what little I've heard about it and it is on sale at Fria Ligan's site. How is it to buy from them?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them that ships from the Uk warehouse to New Zealand and never had any issues. Well packaged and timely. Ymmv but the one time they've missed something on the order the replacement was shipped quickly and for no cost.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cool thanks.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So the Alpha's for Twilight 2000 dropped, and as expected there's since people very mad at the new timeline

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

KomradeX posted:

So the Alpha's for Twilight 2000 dropped, and as expected there's since people very mad at the new timeline

What's the new timeline?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

What's the new timeline?

The '91 coup is successful, Soviet Union is still around in the 90s. They invade Poland in the mid to late 90s over fear of expanding NATO membership, they're obviously successful moping the floor with the Poles but eventually stay getting pushed back when American and Germans forces intervene. Also effectually the Soviets invade Sweden over the US wanting tol use some Swedish islands in the Baltic. Tactical nukes first get used by NATO and than the Soviets devastating large parts of central Europe, the EMP knocks out a lot of what makes modern life livable. Violent civil unrest over the war and the use of nukes begins to tear the US apart. The Normandy region of France gets nuked over US using it as a staging ground. The French president refuses to nuke the Soviets in retaliation, such launches a coup and france now has a military government centered around the South of France and its stockpile of ICBMs, there's still an exclusion zone to keep refugees out. Oh and st some point Syria invades Jordan and creates a new United Arab Republic, which soon after using the Palestinian issue justifies an invasion of Israel with Iraq coming along with them, Israel uses its nukes on the invaders. Things break down and than we get to July 2000 and the destruction of the US 5th Infantry division.

Most people seem to be mad that the Soviets do so well in the war (including a destruction of the Brush Navy and minor invasion of the UK) and that its NATO who used nukes first. But it mostly just seems to be a small vocal minority of lead poisoned Gen Xers mad that the US might not be heroic or all that good. Personally I think it's fine for an Alt History story where you need to kick off world war three that didn't just end in the launching of every nuke.

My only problem is that in the timeline it has US police start joining in the antiwar protests and that to me is far more b unrealistic than a last gap of Arab nationalism in the 90s. These are just the alpha rules so we'll see what changes eventually but i do hope for some note information about the rest of the world as well

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I could be wrong but the logic of the US military establishment was that most the forces in Central Europe were only a speed bump to the Soviets and they wouldn't really have time to adequately counter a Warsaw Pact invasion. Part of it was decades of overestimation and purposely inflating capabilities for budgetary purposes but also the fact that the Warsaw Pact took orders from the USSR and NATO was more decentralized and possibly couldn't count on some member states, such as France. They fully expected to be pushed back to France and Italy at the least. The whole point of the nuclear missiles in West Germany were a deterrent to Soviet invasion as they would be used against invaders, not to be launched as part of a larger nuclear response because by the 80's they weren't really necessary by then with the amount of subs, cruise missiles, ICBM's, and bombers constantly ready to strike the USSR.

The whole reason why France is a superpower in 2300AD is because when GDW did the wargame of WWIII, France went against NATO and stayed out of the war because that was a very real possibility. The nukes were in West Germany for a reason and it wasn't to not use them to "balance the scales."

I don't even want to imagine what the American political establishment is like if the USSR didn't start collapsing/liberalizing in the late 80's and Ronnie et al backing down with the rhetoric and posturing in the sense that they felt they "won." My guess is, pretty bad.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My 3 fav bits from the new edition of T2K:

Bill Clinton loses to a turbo chud who starts ww3 in less than 18 months in office;

UK is back to a Dark Ages style political status quo except its Soviets and not Danes;

Theres a guy on the island of Gotland claiming to be King Karl XV who somehow organized a kingdom to follow him

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Alright guys, I picked up the Alien starter set and am running Chariot of the Gods this weekend. Any weirdness I should be aware of? It seems pretty straightforward but I'd like to know any weird pitfalls.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

KomradeX posted:

The '91 coup is successful, Soviet Union is still around in the 90s.
I thought Twilight 2000 was a dystopian game.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I've had poor luck getting anything except for Things from the Flood in print in the US from my FLGS and supplier chain, where can I buy Coriolis, Forbidden Lands, Vaesen, and Symbaroum?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought Twilight 2000 was a dystopian game.

It's a dire thing that the nuclear war of Twilight 2000 seems like a lateral apocalypse move when compared to the slow motion extinction of climate change. It would probably have been a better outcome for humanity as a whole.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

aldantefax posted:

I've had poor luck getting anything except for Things from the Flood in print in the US from my FLGS and supplier chain, where can I buy Coriolis, Forbidden Lands, Vaesen, and Symbaroum?

I ordered some things from Free League’s site. Not sure how long it will take to ship from presumably Sweden to here, I’ll let you know when I find out!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

Alright guys, I picked up the Alien starter set and am running Chariot of the Gods this weekend. Any weirdness I should be aware of? It seems pretty straightforward but I'd like to know any weird pitfalls.

If I remember correctly Chariot didn't have this issue, but I know the latest cinematic has massive spoilers on the player handouts and even the character information given to the players that isn't supposed to be known by them until later. Just double check the information given in the handouts before giving them.

Also, read and re-read the panic rules. We had some jankiness and panic spirals before realising only rolls above 10+ on panic cause the player to ALSO lose their intended action.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Spiteski posted:

If I remember correctly Chariot didn't have this issue, but I know the latest cinematic has massive spoilers on the player handouts and even the character information given to the players that isn't supposed to be known by them until later. Just double check the information given in the handouts before giving them.

Also, read and re-read the panic rules. We had some jankiness and panic spirals before realising only rolls above 10+ on panic cause the player to ALSO lose their intended action.

All good information. Panic rolls work by 2d6+current stress level then compare to the chart? Is that correct?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Just 1d6 + current level.
And if something causes another roll, the result cannot be lower than the first roll - instead it's treated as one step higher than the previous roll at minimum.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I ordered some things from Free League’s site. Not sure how long it will take to ship from presumably Sweden to here, I’ll let you know when I find out!

Took less than a week, surprisingly

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Does anyone know where I could take a look at a bunch of GM-created modules for Tales from the Loop/Things from the Flood? Besides the mysteries included in the core rulebooks and the two official Free League campaign books, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that's out there from the community. Thanks in advance!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anybody near to NA time zones interested in a Discord playtest of an Alien module I’m making? Space-bound, you’re customs agents rather than space truckers.

Also open to hearing what people’s thoughts are as to how the systems might be tweaked for improvement - I much prefer to give players more control over when their character dies, maybe mechanically incentivize death. There’s a storygame called Geiger Counter that’s also meant to simulate the arc of horror film, and one of the things it does is make survivors more resilient as their numbers drop, until you’ve got a Ripley who more or less cannot die in less-than-dramatic fashion. I like that idea for this game, I think.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Quick question: Are there any potential problems with porting the rules for psychic powers from Coriolis into Alien?

See, I've been thinking of running some "Eclipse Phase, but it's the retro-future space 80s" for some folks I usually play Eclipse Phase with, I think the Alien system is the best fit for what I'm looking for, but I need something to allow for Async characters. The psionic mechanics from Coriolis seem like an easy fix, but I'm super new to the system and so am not sure if there's an obvious problem with this that I'm missing.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Has anyone found a good online dice tool for this system? We shifted our Alien game to Zoom and are still using physical dice.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

EdsTeioh posted:

Has anyone found a good online dice tool for this system? We shifted our Alien game to Zoom and are still using physical dice.

It might be overkill for your purposes (and it costs money), but Foundry VTT has some kind of official Alien integration. I presume it involves dice!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Shart Carbuncle posted:

It might be overkill for your purposes (and it costs money), but Foundry VTT has some kind of official Alien integration. I presume it involves dice!

Man, that costs the fifty dollar bill, but it does look cool.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

EdsTeioh posted:

Maybe this Discord bot? https://github.com/Stefouch/sebedius-myz-discord-bot I like Foundry in general, but also super overkill if you just want to roll dice. Discord bots are usually great for that.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

M. Night Skymall posted:

Maybe this Discord bot? https://github.com/Stefouch/sebedius-myz-discord-bot I like Foundry in general, but also super overkill if you just want to roll dice. Discord bots are usually great for that.

How do these work? I've never really used Discord for anything beyond simple chatting and don't like it for that, honestly. Is this graphical or does it just give results? (I'm working atm and can't test it out.)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

EdsTeioh posted:

I played through Chariot of the Gods on Fantasy Ground Unity and it was really slick.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

How do these work? I've never really used Discord for anything beyond simple chatting and don't like it for that, honestly. Is this graphical or does it just give results? (I'm working atm and can't test it out.)

I highly highly recommend this dice bot if you dont want to invest in, or don't need to invest in the other benefits of a VTT.

I use this dice bot for a few of my MYZ games that arent supported on Foundry or FG very well.
It's got a great range of commands, but this is what it looks like in use. Any roll that can be pushed you simply react to, and it pushes and spits out results from the game's tables i applicable.
Here are some examples from the rolla (for ALIEN RPG), and for MYZ with a pushed roll in the bottom

If you are in the market for a VTT, FG has a decent ALIEN ruleset and the campaigns are well created in FG. There is also Vaesan for Fantasy Grounds but I haven't got my hands on that yet to rate it.
Alternatively, I have recently started using Foundry more heavily, and the newly released ALIEN and Forbidden Lands ruleset and campaigns on there are very very good, and it's a lower pricepoint for the VTT than Fantasy Grounds. They also have community rulesets for TFTL, MYZ, Coriolis, Mork Borg, Vaesan, which don't have any of the official content loaded in, but are solid bases for you to bring your own in.
For both VTTs there is talk of further rulesets being added in as these initial ones are selling quite well.

I cannot comment on Roll20, though I believe they have a Tales from the Loop starter set you can purchase? I dislike Roll20 for my own reasons, so would be good if someone else can chime in.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Roll20 is fine, they've got an integrated charsheet+macros for Alien RPG, it all works pretty well in my experience.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Spiteski posted:

Which scenario has spoilers on the character sheets?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Which scenario has spoilers on the character sheets?

Destroyer of Worlds - mainly the synthetic's sheet, but also all of the "handouts" for the marines that the squad is supposed to find (the main starting point of the story) contain the current status/outcome of each of the marines. Basically, don't give them the handouts unless they're speedrunning the game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fun fact: I’ve got a character named after me in the new Alien: Colonial Marines Operations Manual, pages 200 and 203.

I’m the one described as “brash” and “incompetent” :suicide:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
At least your namesake made it to the top of the USCMC :mmmhmm:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

poo poo, been sleeping on this one. About 2 days left on the kickstarter for the new Forbidden Lands expansion. Book of Beasts and Blood March double pack. A monster codex and a standalone adventure similar to bitter reach.
Pretty close to a free VTT module for each of them too.
The both in print bundle is very good value and much cheaper than the store version, as is the case with their kickstarters usually.
Also, you can add pretty much any of their existing core books as addons if you wanted to combine shipping and catch up on any you're missing.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm concerned about what the quality of the editting and the campaign will be.

Both Bitter Reach and Raven's Purge are pretty dissapointing all in all, and BR manages to not give prices for essentials likes dogs, sleds, skis, snowshoes etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I haven't gotten a chance to run BR so that's disappointing to find out. I tried googling if anyone else had brought it up with the writers, and only found your post elsewhere about it ha.
I didn't come across many issues on Raven's Purge when I played it though. However that doesn't necessarily mean it's not bad, as I tend to wing a lot of stuff even when using pre-written content anyway, so it's possible I glossed over any particularly bad issues.

I did notice some issues in the early MYZ though, that got better as the books went on - Elysium in particular was really good. Also the ALIENS core book was good, but the adventures have been a mixed bag.