Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've decided to just go for the monster book for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

After playing Alien at Gencon 2019, this year I went to their booth three different times and ended up with:

Mork Borg + expansion book
Allen core and starter, Destroyer of Worlds, and Colonial Marines.
Forbidden Lands box set and some cards
Mutant: Year Zero core
Tales from the Loop starter set
Coriolis core book

Ran some Mork at the convention, is fun. The rest also look great, it's nice having more options than High Fantasy Heroes.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

That's a solid haul!

I also enjoy having the different options but in a similar enough format that I can easily get my group to pick up the next game with only a few minor rule changes to grok.
Twilight 2K seems to be the biggest divergence from the rest with a completely different dice pool though, so that'll be interesting in practice.

Once you've cracked open the Tales from the Loop starter set, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. Particularly what the rulebook inside is like, as I am curious how much the full Core book is necessary beyond it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Welp, FL announced a Blade Runner rpg so now my shelves are going to be EVEN MORE full of games that I never get to play.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Cautiously optimistic about that. Mainly because I don't like any of the other cyberpunk games but thoroughly love cyberpunk.
Might be fun to try.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Spiteski posted:

Cautiously optimistic about that. Mainly because I don't like any of the other cyberpunk games but thoroughly love cyberpunk.
Might be fun to try.

Cyberpunk 2020 is, in theory and from a nostalgia point of view, my favorite rpg, but Red did it ZERO favors and really drags it down in my opinion.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

EdsTeioh posted:

Cyberpunk 2020 is, in theory and from a nostalgia point of view, my favorite rpg, but Red did it ZERO favors and really drags it down in my opinion.

I have a very nostalgia-fueled soft spot for Cyberpunk 2020 too, but I'm all right with Red. (Mostly because it decanonized a lot of Cyberpunk 2030, and I loving HATED what that game did to the lore of 2020.)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Snorb posted:

I have a very nostalgia-fueled soft spot for Cyberpunk 2020 too, but I'm all right with Red. (Mostly because it decanonized a lot of Cyberpunk 2030, and I loving HATED what that game did to the lore of 2020.)

I never hosed with it. Too much of Red is just copy/pasted from 2020 for my liking, and I still hate that they use d10s and gave me some cop out answer as to why they didn't switch to 2d6. I'll also say that as much as I love CP2020, man, the folks that run RTG's social media are a bunch of fucks and actively make me not want to buy their games.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So is this a good place for discussing The One Ring 2e?

I just got the PDFs from the kickstarter and I have math concerns.

So the basic dice are a special d12 with 1-10, a "success" side, and "failure (probably)" and a bunch of d6 with a few features.

It looks like most of the target numbers will be in the 15-18 range and, at least at first, you're rolling d12+2d6 for stuff you're decent at. That's got an average roll of 13.5, with a curve there clouding up some probabilities. So if you need a 16 that's a lot of good numbers on all the drive dice, no?

What's weird is they seem to know this - the pregens from the box set all have target numbers set 2 points lower. :v:

So yeah, it's weird. It seems very whiff-y in my head.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

So is this a good place for discussing The One Ring 2e?

I just got the PDFs from the kickstarter and I have math concerns.

So the basic dice are a special d12 with 1-10, a "success" side, and "failure (probably)" and a bunch of d6 with a few features.

It looks like most of the target numbers will be in the 15-18 range and, at least at first, you're rolling d12+2d6 for stuff you're decent at. That's got an average roll of 13.5, with a curve there clouding up some probabilities. So if you need a 16 that's a lot of good numbers on all the drive dice, no?

What's weird is they seem to know this - the pregens from the box set all have target numbers set 2 points lower. :v:

So yeah, it's weird. It seems very whiff-y in my head.

I haven't backed it myself so haven't had a chance to read it yet. Based on what you've said though, yea that's maybe a bit swingy. AnyDice puts it at a 33.5% chance of success at target of 16 which is uhh... concerning if that is meant to be something you're decent at. 19% for a target of 18 which is holy crap bad.
Do you have any more details on what the special features are of the D6? If there is some major stuff on there that swings things that'll change up just how bad it is, but just from raw numbers that's not great.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Spiteski posted:

I haven't backed it myself so haven't had a chance to read it yet. Based on what you've said though, yea that's maybe a bit swingy. AnyDice puts it at a 33.5% chance of success at target of 16 which is uhh... concerning if that is meant to be something you're decent at. 19% for a target of 18 which is holy crap bad.
Do you have any more details on what the special features are of the D6? If there is some major stuff on there that swings things that'll change up just how bad it is, but just from raw numbers that's not great.

So the basics are you have main Attribute spreads in three traits that are expected to be 6-7, 4-5, and 2-3 for the most part. The TN for rolls is 20 minus the relevant Attribute. There's a sidebar that explains this is meant for "long-term" play, but if you're running a one-shot or just don't like how whiffy things are, make the default TN 18 minus Attribute instead.

When you roll, you're not rolling a normal d12. It's a d10 with extra stuff going on. You've got 1-10, a Gandalf rune, and an Eye rune. If you roll a G-rune, you automatically succeed. If you're Miserable (you have more Shadow than Hope) and roll an Eye, you automatically fail. If you're not Miserable, an Eye just counts as 0 (so you probably fail anyway).

The d6s are mostly normal 1-6. You take the highest d6the sum of those and add them to your d12. However, if you're Weary (usually from having Encumbrance higher than your Endurance), rolling 1-3 counts as 0. Every 6 you roll accumulates a tengwar rune* which doesn't affect your typical pass/fail but tacks on special bonuses like "my sneaking is so good I provide cover to help my friends sneak better" or stuff like that.

Your roll can be Favoured or Ill-Favoured, which is just advantage/disadvantage on the d12.

You can spend Hope to add a d6 to your pool. If you're Inspired (often by having a Distinctive Feature that is relevant, like being a Tracker), spending Hope adds 2d6 instead. Characters typically have maximum Hope scores in the range of 10-17, but regaining it during an adventure is very limited. An ally can also spend their Hope to grant you 1d, or 2d if you're their "Fellowship Focus" (like with Sam and Frodo).

So at base, the chances for success on stuff you're decent at is about 50% at character creation, but you can pretty readily bump that up to 75% or better on a somewhat regular basis, and this is apparently the expected mode of play.

I'm not totally against it, but I feel it's a little much for you to have to rely so much on Hope even for core competencies, and the degree of expected failure for stuff you're not already decent at is a little too harsh for my taste. I would definitely use the -2 TN sidebar even in a game I expect to last a long time.

* Specifically the rune for "L", and I don't remember ever reading why that one. For "Lucky"?

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 4, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

So the basics are you have main Attribute spreads in three traits that are expected to be 6-7, 4-5, and 2-3 for the most part. The TN for rolls is 20 minus the relevant Attribute. There's a sidebar that explains this is meant for "long-term" play, but if you're running a one-shot or just don't like how whiffy things are, make the default TN 18 minus Attribute instead.

When you roll, you're not rolling a normal d12. It's a d10 with extra stuff going on. You've got 1-10, a Gandalf rune, and an Eye rune. If you roll a G-rune, you automatically succeed. If you're Miserable (you have more Shadow than Hope) and roll an Eye, you automatically fail. If you're not Miserable, an Eye just counts as 0 (so you probably fail anyway).

The d6s are mostly normal 1-6. You take the highest d6 and add it to your d12. However, if you're Weary (usually from having Encumbrance higher than your Endurance), rolling 1-3 counts as 0. Every 6 you roll accumulates a tengwar rune* which doesn't affect your typical pass/fail but tacks on special bonuses like "my sneaking is so good I provide cover to help my friends sneak better" or stuff like that.
First - Oh the 18 explains the pregens. Okay. Hm.

Is it really only Top Die like in Lancer? That doesn't sound right because it would make 17+ impossible. I am pretty sure it's all d6's added with the dTOR. I hope?

quote:

I'm not totally against it, but I feel it's a little much for you to have to rely so much on Hope even for core competencies, and the degree of expected failure for stuff you're not already decent at is a little too harsh for my taste. I would definitely use the -2 TN sidebar even in a game I expect to last a long time.
Yeah I am thinking maybe trying that as well. Just a high whiff rate is not the best experience...

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Woops, that's right, you add all success dice, not just the highest. I'm reading like three different books right now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

Woops, that's right, you add all success dice, not just the highest. I'm reading like three different books right now.
No worries, me too lol

Running Lancer and looking for my next game.

I don't want to take away from how amazingly thematic and interesting I'm finding this game. I don't know TOR at all - but wow. Just the fact that singing a song may help you materially is pretty amazing. I also love there's a journey system - very cool, very appropriate.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

No worries, me too lol

Running Lancer and looking for my next game.

I don't want to take away from how amazingly thematic and interesting I'm finding this game. I don't know TOR at all - but wow. Just the fact that singing a song may help you materially is pretty amazing. I also love there's a journey system - very cool, very appropriate.

Yeah, I'm a really big fan of TOR. It does a lot of work to make itself a toolbox for creating specifically Tolkien-style adventures, and it's mostly pretty successful. I wish I could get a more regular game of it going, but I wish that about a lot of games.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I don't think this will make it to my table anytime soon... You really need a group who's willing to play Tolkien not just a fantasy RPG. It's a very specific flavor.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In the Alien RPG, if a character succeeds but also panics, does their intended action still happen? Do panics cancel successes?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dr. Lunchables posted:

In the Alien RPG, if a character succeeds but also panics, does their intended action still happen? Do panics cancel successes?

Depends on the result of the roll on the panic table. I don't remember what the exact threshold is but rolls over a certain value cancel the action.

e: it's on panic rolls of 10+

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 6, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also note that any panic roll incurred when firing an automatic weapon empties the entire clip

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also note that any panic roll incurred when firing an automatic weapon empties the entire clip

I'm pretty sure it's any firearm that has a magazine count? This is, however, ignored by Androids who never need to reload cause they're so onto it with their ammo conservation (read: never need to make panic checks).

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

My T2K stuff arrived today. Anyone interested in some pics and flick throughs? It's damned nice.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Spiteski posted:

My T2K stuff arrived today. Anyone interested in some pics and flick throughs? It's damned nice.

Yes, absolutely. I was waffling on trying to buy this last night.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Aight sweet. I was finishing up the OP today after procrastinating long enough, so I figure this is a brand spankin new procrastination effort.
Will get something up shortly.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I was dissapointed that they didn't even include a plastic bag to put the deck of cards that's in the box in.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Yea it was a bizarre choice especially when the weapon deck comes with a proper tuckbox too.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Starting with what is OUTSIDE of the box.

The box. It's boxy.

The dice are very good. They seem to be more of the quality of the MYZ dice and Forbidden Lands dice that you can see pictured in the top right, and not like the crappy rounder-edged ones also in that box. Chonky and nicely detailed. Also a SHITLOAD of them. I'd need to check but I didn't think I ordered an extra set. There was a small set and then another baggy with a bunch more.

A 64 card deck of weapon cards and a tuckbox. This would not fit any sort of sleeving, but the cardstock is great - in keeping with previous games. Also pictured a reverse to see what sort of info you get on them.

The DM screen and it's interior - in keeping with Fria Ligan's track record, the art is gorgeous - even better in person. Shame about what looks like a production issue on the interior fold of my one.
The content of it is fairly useful stuff. No unncessary tables for how much a ration costs etc. It's all the base rules.

Just for reference, the screen is the same size as the majority of Fria Ligan's screens. Pictured is the tales one (orange one behind) and the only outlier - Forbidden lands (green one in front).

Now for what's INSIDE the box

Character sheets. Very average stuff. Printed on what feels like dimestore A4. Disappointed in this compared to the excellent Forbidden Lands sheet pad and other higher quality stuff. But it was free so eh.

The aforementioned extra deck inside the box. No tuckbox it just comes wrapped in plastic. Contains a full 54 card deck of events with corresponding trad cards suits. In the rulebook is this same list recreated so you can pull the events with a regular deck of cards. Nice to have these though. Pictured with one event close up. Also includes a set of initiative cards. Same 1-10 system as Alien and Coriolis.

Two handouts - one for Poland and one for Sweden but outlining the same events - Operation Reset - that sets the starting point for Twilight 2k.

and the reverse of both
Two maps - nice print job but not a fan of battlemaps that have folding creases personally. Great art though.

and the reverses
The far superior map cards. Reversible and reasonably good quality paperstock - almost card like. I can see these getting a lot of use with the mix-and-match ability.

and the reverse
Punch card of tokens. It's annoying to me the use of everything BUT hexes, when every map is filled with hexes and that is the default mapping mode.

and the reverse
Large foldout map of Sweden on one side, Poland on the other. Box for size reference

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST

The main attractions. Boy how I love softcover rulebooks so goddamn much. These tomes are absolutely lovely to flick through. Print quality is top notch. Content is great and art is great. Player reference has all the possible gun cruft that anyone would want to sift through. GM reference has all the usual guidance for a Fria Ligan game, as well as a number of scenarios, and as mentioned earlier - a list of events corresponding to a deck of regular cards. This is in addition to a reasonable array of other content that I can see getting a great amount of use.

Overall, pretty darn stoked with the pack. I've also picked it up on Foundry, but this is far nice to have in hand, and with softbacks, I can imagine I'll still have this at my desk when running online as well as in person.

I'll do an actual content write up when I've finished reading the two books and maybe gotten it to the (digital most likely) tabletop.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 10, 2021

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Woah, thanks! That looks pretty cool, but that art style is...sort of a bizarre match for T2k. Kind of reminds me of those Undaunted boardgames that came out within the last couple of years.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Do you mean the map art or the book art?
The map art is definitely more functional and I guess "brighter" style than I'd have guessed but for actual play it's going to be super helpful in terms of clarity of situation.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Spiteski posted:

Do you mean the map art or the book art?
The map art is definitely more functional and I guess "brighter" style than I'd have guessed but for actual play it's going to be super helpful in terms of clarity of situation.

Nah, like the covers of the books themselves. The BOX cover on the other hand is that FL digital painting style that they use on most of their products and is amazing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

EdsTeioh posted:

Nah, like the covers of the books themselves. The BOX cover on the other hand is that FL digital painting style that they use on most of their products and is amazing.

From looking at a video, the book art covers and their non-splash-page interior art is meant to sort of invoke the illustrations inside real-life infantry training manuals.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

bewilderment posted:

From looking at a video, the book art covers and their non-splash-page interior art is meant to sort of invoke the illustrations inside real-life infantry training manuals.

AAh yeah ok, I see that now. It's just such a weird shift from the old style T2K art (basically generic mid-80's RPG art) that it threw me off a little. It'd be cool if they looked like actual field manuals the way stuff like Morrow Project or Traveller did.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So say I get the Aliens and Aliens CM Foundry Modules, does anyone want to play or DM (please the later I stink at the crunch stuff) as you only need one license (which I already have) and other players and/or DM wouldn't need one.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I know we yarned in the T2k thread about playing that, but also consider me "signed the gently caress up" on any Fria Ligan games you play that I can make the time for. Can DM or play, or do some sort of rotation to give others a crack at each?

I also have the foundry licenses for everything FL that's on there so far except Symbaroum so same deal applies to not costing others/those who want to DM.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiteski posted:

I know we yarned in the T2k thread about playing that, but also consider me "signed the gently caress up" on any Fria Ligan games you play that I can make the time for. Can DM or play, or do some sort of rotation to give others a crack at each?

I also have the foundry licenses for everything FL that's on there so far except Symbaroum so same deal applies to not costing others/those who want to DM.

Holy poo poo that’s awesome. I’d love to play the new Aliens Colonial Marines one. Also not having to buy the foundry license means I can just get the books of DriveThruRPG. Granted the colonial marines one is cheap and it might be good to futz around with and learn.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 11, 2021

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So say I get the Aliens and Aliens CM Foundry Modules, does anyone want to play or DM (please the later I stink at the crunch stuff) as you only need one license (which I already have) and other players and/or DM wouldn't need one.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHYGgOXww48

Hell yeah and since Spiteski has kindly offered us the use of their DM skills and licenses we only need to buy the books, which combined on Drivethrurpg are $40. I still might that Colonial Marine package on their store as this gives you the print, pdf, and the foundry stuff for like $50 USD, because the hardcover manuals are really nice looking when I saw it in a store recently.

https://freeleaguepublishing.com/en/store/?product_id=7044319346837

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I dunno what happened to my response above, but I'd like to give that a shot if there's room and it works with my schedule.

Man, I was on the fence about that Colonial Marines book but went to buy Warhammer poo poo the other day, couldn't decided what to buy, so just bought Colonial Marines. Now I have everything for Alien.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I still don’t have the Maps and Markers pack for Alien. They never have it in stock, and I wonder if they’ll pursue a second print run, considering it’s the same markers that are present in the beginner box.

I just want a nice big map of Hadleys Hope, is that too much to ask?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I still don’t have the Maps and Markers pack for Alien. They never have it in stock, and I wonder if they’ll pursue a second print run, considering it’s the same markers that are present in the beginner box.

I just want a nice big map of Hadleys Hope, is that too much to ask?

It's on Drivethrurpg for cheap if that helps. It's like $5

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/293978/ALIEN-RPG-Maps-and-Markers-Pack?src=also_purchased

EdsTeioh posted:

I dunno what happened to my response above, but I'd like to give that a shot if there's room and it works with my schedule.

Man, I was on the fence about that Colonial Marines book but went to buy Warhammer poo poo the other day, couldn't decided what to buy, so just bought Colonial Marines. Now I have everything for Alien.
I think it's something with quoting a quote. I still just need to figure if I'm only get the digital copies, which is cheaper, the nicer bundle and a digital copy of the core book. I just wish :filez: weren't so comically easy to find, so I can more easily rationalize buying both vs just the colonial Marines. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to justify piracy or saying I would, just that goddamn it really is comically easy. But luckily unlike GW, Free League seems pretty drat awesome and reasonable and it makes it a lot easier to support them and be fine with it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I want a physical map to show players though. The pdf files don’t help me too much.