Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

SunAndSpring posted:

I think a death spiral is fine in the context of Forbidden Lands, being a game about getting exhausted by traveling and picking your fights in a smart way, but geez, MYZ has permanent damage? That sucks.

It is pretty brutal because even a character built hard into being only good at fighting is still entirely too variable thanks to the dice system. Here's to rolling 12 dice, pushing for a reroll, and doing more damage to yourself than to the thing you hit with an axe. Also in FL, your HP is basically just your Might, my understanding is that in some of the systems you combine Might and Agility? Anyway, the toughest character in the game can have 6 HP Max, most will have 2-3. A single hit can easily cause a crit which can easily kill you. It's less, "you get slowly worn down and struggle with resources" and more "you roll badly once and are horribly crippled or killed instantly" in combat, unfortunately. I think they just went way too far on making combat swingy for competent characters. On the flip side, a character that doesn't go into combat fairly significantly is absolutely helpless at it, to the point of being unlikely to be able to even roll a single success regularly, meaning they're really just a liability in a fight. It's rough.

That said, the setting and random encounter system are stellar, as are the survival rules. I love the lore and it really nails the exploring weird unknown stuff vibe really well. It's definitely worth playing for all that stuff, but the DM needs to carefully plan combat and keep it infrequent imo. Unless the players are all up for a meatgrinder of creating new characters regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, I imagine completely changing how HP works in the game would make you tougher. And my point is that while you won't get a bad roll often, one single bad roll can easily kill your character. There's no abilities that can fix a bad dice roll after the fact in combat, and as you point out, the pushed roll gives you the same odds to roll 1's (though skill dice don't care about 1's, only stat and gear dice do).

It's very thematic, but it really does not lend itself to having characters that live and retire after a long career. Which is, I suppose, the goal. But it was jarring in just how easily you can get wrecked by most things.