Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I could be wrong but the logic of the US military establishment was that most the forces in Central Europe were only a speed bump to the Soviets and they wouldn't really have time to adequately counter a Warsaw Pact invasion. Part of it was decades of overestimation and purposely inflating capabilities for budgetary purposes but also the fact that the Warsaw Pact took orders from the USSR and NATO was more decentralized and possibly couldn't count on some member states, such as France. They fully expected to be pushed back to France and Italy at the least. The whole point of the nuclear missiles in West Germany were a deterrent to Soviet invasion as they would be used against invaders, not to be launched as part of a larger nuclear response because by the 80's they weren't really necessary by then with the amount of subs, cruise missiles, ICBM's, and bombers constantly ready to strike the USSR.

The whole reason why France is a superpower in 2300AD is because when GDW did the wargame of WWIII, France went against NATO and stayed out of the war because that was a very real possibility. The nukes were in West Germany for a reason and it wasn't to not use them to "balance the scales."

I don't even want to imagine what the American political establishment is like if the USSR didn't start collapsing/liberalizing in the late 80's and Ronnie et al backing down with the rhetoric and posturing in the sense that they felt they "won." My guess is, pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU