Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So the Alpha's for Twilight 2000 dropped, and as expected there's since people very mad at the new timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

What's the new timeline?

The '91 coup is successful, Soviet Union is still around in the 90s. They invade Poland in the mid to late 90s over fear of expanding NATO membership, they're obviously successful moping the floor with the Poles but eventually stay getting pushed back when American and Germans forces intervene. Also effectually the Soviets invade Sweden over the US wanting tol use some Swedish islands in the Baltic. Tactical nukes first get used by NATO and than the Soviets devastating large parts of central Europe, the EMP knocks out a lot of what makes modern life livable. Violent civil unrest over the war and the use of nukes begins to tear the US apart. The Normandy region of France gets nuked over US using it as a staging ground. The French president refuses to nuke the Soviets in retaliation, such launches a coup and france now has a military government centered around the South of France and its stockpile of ICBMs, there's still an exclusion zone to keep refugees out. Oh and st some point Syria invades Jordan and creates a new United Arab Republic, which soon after using the Palestinian issue justifies an invasion of Israel with Iraq coming along with them, Israel uses its nukes on the invaders. Things break down and than we get to July 2000 and the destruction of the US 5th Infantry division.

Most people seem to be mad that the Soviets do so well in the war (including a destruction of the Brush Navy and minor invasion of the UK) and that its NATO who used nukes first. But it mostly just seems to be a small vocal minority of lead poisoned Gen Xers mad that the US might not be heroic or all that good. Personally I think it's fine for an Alt History story where you need to kick off world war three that didn't just end in the launching of every nuke.

My only problem is that in the timeline it has US police start joining in the antiwar protests and that to me is far more b unrealistic than a last gap of Arab nationalism in the 90s. These are just the alpha rules so we'll see what changes eventually but i do hope for some note information about the rest of the world as well