Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Spiteski posted:

I haven't backed it myself so haven't had a chance to read it yet. Based on what you've said though, yea that's maybe a bit swingy. AnyDice puts it at a 33.5% chance of success at target of 16 which is uhh... concerning if that is meant to be something you're decent at. 19% for a target of 18 which is holy crap bad.
Do you have any more details on what the special features are of the D6? If there is some major stuff on there that swings things that'll change up just how bad it is, but just from raw numbers that's not great.

So the basics are you have main Attribute spreads in three traits that are expected to be 6-7, 4-5, and 2-3 for the most part. The TN for rolls is 20 minus the relevant Attribute. There's a sidebar that explains this is meant for "long-term" play, but if you're running a one-shot or just don't like how whiffy things are, make the default TN 18 minus Attribute instead.

When you roll, you're not rolling a normal d12. It's a d10 with extra stuff going on. You've got 1-10, a Gandalf rune, and an Eye rune. If you roll a G-rune, you automatically succeed. If you're Miserable (you have more Shadow than Hope) and roll an Eye, you automatically fail. If you're not Miserable, an Eye just counts as 0 (so you probably fail anyway).

The d6s are mostly normal 1-6. You take the highest d6the sum of those and add them to your d12. However, if you're Weary (usually from having Encumbrance higher than your Endurance), rolling 1-3 counts as 0. Every 6 you roll accumulates a tengwar rune* which doesn't affect your typical pass/fail but tacks on special bonuses like "my sneaking is so good I provide cover to help my friends sneak better" or stuff like that.

Your roll can be Favoured or Ill-Favoured, which is just advantage/disadvantage on the d12.

You can spend Hope to add a d6 to your pool. If you're Inspired (often by having a Distinctive Feature that is relevant, like being a Tracker), spending Hope adds 2d6 instead. Characters typically have maximum Hope scores in the range of 10-17, but regaining it during an adventure is very limited. An ally can also spend their Hope to grant you 1d, or 2d if you're their "Fellowship Focus" (like with Sam and Frodo).

So at base, the chances for success on stuff you're decent at is about 50% at character creation, but you can pretty readily bump that up to 75% or better on a somewhat regular basis, and this is apparently the expected mode of play.

I'm not totally against it, but I feel it's a little much for you to have to rely so much on Hope even for core competencies, and the degree of expected failure for stuff you're not already decent at is a little too harsh for my taste. I would definitely use the -2 TN sidebar even in a game I expect to last a long time.

* Specifically the rune for "L", and I don't remember ever reading why that one. For "Lucky"?

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Woops, that's right, you add all success dice, not just the highest. I'm reading like three different books right now.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

dwarf74 posted:

No worries, me too lol

Running Lancer and looking for my next game.

I don't want to take away from how amazingly thematic and interesting I'm finding this game. I don't know TOR at all - but wow. Just the fact that singing a song may help you materially is pretty amazing. I also love there's a journey system - very cool, very appropriate.

Yeah, I'm a really big fan of TOR. It does a lot of work to make itself a toolbox for creating specifically Tolkien-style adventures, and it's mostly pretty successful. I wish I could get a more regular game of it going, but I wish that about a lot of games.