Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So is this a good place for discussing The One Ring 2e?

I just got the PDFs from the kickstarter and I have math concerns.

So the basic dice are a special d12 with 1-10, a "success" side, and "failure (probably)" and a bunch of d6 with a few features.

It looks like most of the target numbers will be in the 15-18 range and, at least at first, you're rolling d12+2d6 for stuff you're decent at. That's got an average roll of 13.5, with a curve there clouding up some probabilities. So if you need a 16 that's a lot of good numbers on all the drive dice, no?

What's weird is they seem to know this - the pregens from the box set all have target numbers set 2 points lower. :v:

So yeah, it's weird. It seems very whiff-y in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

So the basics are you have main Attribute spreads in three traits that are expected to be 6-7, 4-5, and 2-3 for the most part. The TN for rolls is 20 minus the relevant Attribute. There's a sidebar that explains this is meant for "long-term" play, but if you're running a one-shot or just don't like how whiffy things are, make the default TN 18 minus Attribute instead.

When you roll, you're not rolling a normal d12. It's a d10 with extra stuff going on. You've got 1-10, a Gandalf rune, and an Eye rune. If you roll a G-rune, you automatically succeed. If you're Miserable (you have more Shadow than Hope) and roll an Eye, you automatically fail. If you're not Miserable, an Eye just counts as 0 (so you probably fail anyway).

The d6s are mostly normal 1-6. You take the highest d6 and add it to your d12. However, if you're Weary (usually from having Encumbrance higher than your Endurance), rolling 1-3 counts as 0. Every 6 you roll accumulates a tengwar rune* which doesn't affect your typical pass/fail but tacks on special bonuses like "my sneaking is so good I provide cover to help my friends sneak better" or stuff like that.
First - Oh the 18 explains the pregens. Okay. Hm.

Is it really only Top Die like in Lancer? That doesn't sound right because it would make 17+ impossible. I am pretty sure it's all d6's added with the dTOR. I hope?

quote:

I'm not totally against it, but I feel it's a little much for you to have to rely so much on Hope even for core competencies, and the degree of expected failure for stuff you're not already decent at is a little too harsh for my taste. I would definitely use the -2 TN sidebar even in a game I expect to last a long time.
Yeah I am thinking maybe trying that as well. Just a high whiff rate is not the best experience...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

Woops, that's right, you add all success dice, not just the highest. I'm reading like three different books right now.
No worries, me too lol

Running Lancer and looking for my next game.

I don't want to take away from how amazingly thematic and interesting I'm finding this game. I don't know TOR at all - but wow. Just the fact that singing a song may help you materially is pretty amazing. I also love there's a journey system - very cool, very appropriate.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I don't think this will make it to my table anytime soon... You really need a group who's willing to play Tolkien not just a fantasy RPG. It's a very specific flavor.