Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Alright guys, I picked up the Alien starter set and am running Chariot of the Gods this weekend. Any weirdness I should be aware of? It seems pretty straightforward but I'd like to know any weird pitfalls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Spiteski posted:

If I remember correctly Chariot didn't have this issue, but I know the latest cinematic has massive spoilers on the player handouts and even the character information given to the players that isn't supposed to be known by them until later. Just double check the information given in the handouts before giving them.

Also, read and re-read the panic rules. We had some jankiness and panic spirals before realising only rolls above 10+ on panic cause the player to ALSO lose their intended action.

All good information. Panic rolls work by 2d6+current stress level then compare to the chart? Is that correct?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Has anyone found a good online dice tool for this system? We shifted our Alien game to Zoom and are still using physical dice.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Shart Carbuncle posted:

It might be overkill for your purposes (and it costs money), but Foundry VTT has some kind of official Alien integration. I presume it involves dice!

Man, that costs the fifty dollar bill, but it does look cool.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

M. Night Skymall posted:

Maybe this Discord bot? https://github.com/Stefouch/sebedius-myz-discord-bot I like Foundry in general, but also super overkill if you just want to roll dice. Discord bots are usually great for that.

How do these work? I've never really used Discord for anything beyond simple chatting and don't like it for that, honestly. Is this graphical or does it just give results? (I'm working atm and can't test it out.)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Welp, FL announced a Blade Runner rpg so now my shelves are going to be EVEN MORE full of games that I never get to play.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Spiteski posted:

Cautiously optimistic about that. Mainly because I don't like any of the other cyberpunk games but thoroughly love cyberpunk.
Might be fun to try.

Cyberpunk 2020 is, in theory and from a nostalgia point of view, my favorite rpg, but Red did it ZERO favors and really drags it down in my opinion.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Snorb posted:

I have a very nostalgia-fueled soft spot for Cyberpunk 2020 too, but I'm all right with Red. (Mostly because it decanonized a lot of Cyberpunk 2030, and I loving HATED what that game did to the lore of 2020.)

I never hosed with it. Too much of Red is just copy/pasted from 2020 for my liking, and I still hate that they use d10s and gave me some cop out answer as to why they didn't switch to 2d6. I'll also say that as much as I love CP2020, man, the folks that run RTG's social media are a bunch of fucks and actively make me not want to buy their games.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Spiteski posted:

My T2K stuff arrived today. Anyone interested in some pics and flick throughs? It's damned nice.

Yes, absolutely. I was waffling on trying to buy this last night.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Woah, thanks! That looks pretty cool, but that art style is...sort of a bizarre match for T2k. Kind of reminds me of those Undaunted boardgames that came out within the last couple of years.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Spiteski posted:

Do you mean the map art or the book art?
The map art is definitely more functional and I guess "brighter" style than I'd have guessed but for actual play it's going to be super helpful in terms of clarity of situation.

Nah, like the covers of the books themselves. The BOX cover on the other hand is that FL digital painting style that they use on most of their products and is amazing.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

bewilderment posted:

From looking at a video, the book art covers and their non-splash-page interior art is meant to sort of invoke the illustrations inside real-life infantry training manuals.

AAh yeah ok, I see that now. It's just such a weird shift from the old style T2K art (basically generic mid-80's RPG art) that it threw me off a little. It'd be cool if they looked like actual field manuals the way stuff like Morrow Project or Traveller did.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So say I get the Aliens and Aliens CM Foundry Modules, does anyone want to play or DM (please the later I stink at the crunch stuff) as you only need one license (which I already have) and other players and/or DM wouldn't need one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I dunno what happened to my response above, but I'd like to give that a shot if there's room and it works with my schedule.

Man, I was on the fence about that Colonial Marines book but went to buy Warhammer poo poo the other day, couldn't decided what to buy, so just bought Colonial Marines. Now I have everything for Alien.