Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The only lies she really told is to Eli. When she says 'it's just a headache', that one is an outright lie. Maybe the one about 'I call that a win' too.

She only says 4 sentences to Mandana, which are largely polite small talk to someone who is occupied in doing something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

wiegieman posted:

Wait, how can anyone lie to Mandana?
There are a few occasions where Mandana's power to detect lies seems a little bit inconsistent. But it's never spelled out exactly how it works, and maybe it is actually slightly unreliable due to her only being half Jinn. :shrug:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I love how the "the player character has no VA" works to make things weird here. They let you develop a mental voice and then gently caress it up when a demon shows up and starts talking for you. Even our character literally says "she sounds nothing like me! :argh:"

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
It's such a simple trick, but seeing your character suddenly voiced and given an NPC portrait is really effective and alarming. "You", the game says, are now someone entirely else. And it's a trick that could only be done in the medium of video games.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hey, you all right? You're looking a little... intense there.

"Eli! Help! Get this thing out of me!"

Who me? Sorry. I was just reading that poster over there.

You mean the ad for Wellard beer?

That's the one. Sammy used to tell me never buy any liquor advertised on the subway.

Heh. Good advice. She always did have the good stuff. Do you, uh, ever miss the place?

"Can ANYONE hear me?"

Sometimes. It's a little hard to think about.

Yeah. I get you.

Sorry. I shouldn't be thinking about the past so much.

It happens to all of us. Don't worry.

We all face an uncertain future. Retreating to the past can be... comforting.

"Mandana! Can't you tell she's lying?"

For some of us, maybe. But I know what you mean.

"Logan! Stop staring at KAYKAY and look at ME!"

Huh?

No. I didn't say anything.

Something wrong?

KayKay says someone's calling her name.

She... is?

"Oh thank God. KayKay. HELP!"

I swear to God, I'm not saying your name!

Oh, is this our stop?

"Melkhiresa has control of my body. Tell Logan quick!"

What's wrong?

What? She's possessed again?

WHAT?

*sigh* You know, I really thought I could make it work this time.

There's a bright flash of light.

Jesus. What hit me?

Ohhh crap. Guys? Wake up.

"We've been running for hours. Why aren't I tired?"

I've had longer shifts at the bar. I can handle this.

Also, regenerative magic. That helps too.

"The Unavowed will find you. They will stop you."

Don't be so sure. It took them a YEAR to find me the first time. And that's only because I screwed up. They took so long, I didn't even notice them on my tail until it was too late. I got cocky. What can I say? I'm only human.

"I'M only human. Remember that."

Yeah, very clever. Wait. You're not kidding, are you? Oh my GOD. That's... kind of funny.

"WHAT'S funny? Tell me."

Just... the irony. You wouldn't get it.

"Where are we going?"

Dunno. I've been running through these old maintenance tunnels at random. If *I* don't know where we're going, then nobody else will either. I'll find an exit eventually. Then I'll plan my next move.

"What IS your plan, anyway?"

Figure out what to do with you, to start with.

Really. You're nothing but trouble.

"I'M trouble? This is all your fault!"

I guess TECHNICALLY that's true, but how was I supposed to know it would lead to THIS?

"I don't understand. Lead to what?"

You really don't know, do you?

Jesus. How messed up is THIS?

Hi.

Oh. It's YOU.

"Kill me, Eli. Fry me till there's nothing left."

Oh my God. Shut UP!

Yeah. My kids used to say that when I told them to clean their room. Guess how well it turned out for them?

Here's a hint. Not as bad as it'll turn out for you.

How the hell did you find me down here?

Oh that. I've got your energy signature, remember? From the ritual knife?

The WHAT?

Forgot about that, did you? We couldn't find you before, because we could only track the version of you that possessed that body. So, you know, thanks. You actually made our jobs much easier.

Easier, huh?

I know where your power comes from, Fire Mage. I know how it WORKS. You think I can't defend against you? Just try it.

Me? No. I wouldn't dream of it. I'm just the distraction.

Sammy's bar. Hopefully this will be the last time we enter it. Another day, another wall of ugly graffiti to wash off. Teenagers throw beer bottles off the bridge. Guess who has to clean up the broken glass? The tree across the street often does double-duty as Sammy's second bathroom and it looks like the sanitation department is late picking up the trash. Again. That car's been sitting there for weeks. We keep calling the tow yard, but nobody comes. The sign is bright, gaudy and garish. We tried to talk Sammy out of buying it. We're convinced the owners of the diner down the road spit in our food when we aren't looking.

Hey. Wait.

We respect Logan for getting sober. Too bad he's so drat preachy about it.

Uh. Hey. Long time no see.

Logan? What are you doing here?

I shouldn't be here. I KNOW. But... I need your help.

It's my brother. You remember Jonah?

He's... in there. He's bad. Badder than me on my worst day. Your boss called me to take him home, but...

I understand. I'll get him out.

Thanks. Really. I thought I could go in myself, but I don't think I can.

The first thing they tell you is not to enter a gin joint if you can avoid it.

I've gone four years. I can't lose them. Not even for him.

I'll go in with you.

No. I told you. I can't go in there.

Please?

Just talk to him, okay? He practically lives in this place. You know him better than I do.

And... don't tell your boss I'm out here? I don't think she likes me too much these days.

It's still early in the evening. The crowds don't come in until later. The booze is not exactly a top-shelf collection, but we're working on it. The pictures came with the bar when Sammy bought it; she has no idea what they are. Sammy put a few stickers up years ago; somehow they multiplied. The jukebox is just here for ambience; it hasn't worked in ten years. The bar is covered with countless glass stains; nobody uses the coasters we brought in. The stools are held together with duct tape and a prayer. There's a list of names behind the bar: people who are banned. Jonah's name has been recently added. The bathroom is unisex, of course. Sammy keeps the darts behind the bar. Maybe we'll play later. We haven't beaten Sammy's record yet, but we're getting close.

An inch shorter than us, Sammy still manages to look down on us.

Are you okay?

Do I look okay? I swear the things I gotta deal with. *sigh* gently caress this. After tonight, I'm done. I quit.

Is Jonah here?

Is Jonah HERE? Yeah, Jonah's here. And I'd like that to stop. I thought Logan was a mean drunk, but Jonah? He's worse. He came in here all twitchy and looking scared. He asked for a whiskey and I gave it to him. Then he started crying. Then he started screaming. Now he's locked himself in the drat bathroom.

So what now?

I don't know. To tell you the truth, Jonah scares me. But maybe... Look. Maybe you can get him out of there? He's always listened to you.

Just how much did he drink?

Honestly, I'm surprised he's still standing. Look. Just get him out the door. He can scream at the rats in the park for all I care. I'll just... wait here.

We knock on the door.

Go AWAY, Sammy.

It's not Sammy, Jonah

YOU. What did you DO to me?

Me? What are you talking about?

The book. You said it would HELP. It just made everything WORSE.

Calm down, Jonah. Open the door.

No. I'm gonna end it all. Right here. Right now.

What? NO. Don't do that yet.

Yet?

Jesus. You know what I mean. Just let me in.

gently caress YOU.

Jonah? JONAH.

What did I tell you?

Yeah. He's lost it.

No kidding. Hey, look. I'll deal with Jonah. It's my bar. I should handle it.

No. It's okay. I got this.

You sure?

Yeah. I know Jonah. I can sweet-talk him into anything.

Yeah, I bet you can.

We knock on the door again.

I said GO AWAY!

The bathroom key hangs behind the bar.

Oh. The key? Yeahh. I guess that'll work.

You seriously didn't think to use the key?

Don't look at me like that. You want the truth? I didn't use the key because Jonah's scaring the hell out of me. I was gonna give the key to Logan, but he's a no-show. I guess you'll have to do.

I locked that door for a reason.

Oh for God's sake, Jonah. REALLY? This is how you deal with your problems? By blowing your brains out? In front of your spirit guide, too? What would she think?

You... you can't see them, can you? This room is FULL of ghosts. Called by this book. She can barely see me. Or you. Whatever happens here... she won't even know. Funny. That's kinda what I wanted. For her not be watching me all the time. Guess I got my wish, huh?

Yeah. Ironic.

Sorry I was so nasty to you. I know you tried to help. But I can't live like this. You get that, right?

Sure, Jonah. I get it.

Could you... do it? I can't. I've been trying. But I can't.

He hands us the gun.

Sure, Jonah.

Thank you.

Maybe I should take that book, too?

Yeah. That's... that's a good idea.

He hands it over as well.

Oh God. This is it. Just... make it quick. And tell Logan I'm sorry.

You did good, Jonah. You primed the pump nicely.

Huh?

The PUMP, Jonah. Some low-level magic to get things started. That, and some good old fashioned blood sacrifice.

What do you mean?

GOD. You always were stupid.

Oh great Melkhiresa! Spirit of knowledge! Come to me! I give to you this body as your refuge in this world!

Whew. That's... a rush.

What the hell happened? Was that a gunshot?

Oh shut UP, Sammy.

"What? What's going on?"

Oh. Hello. Melkhiresa, is it? Welcome to... my brain, I guess.

"My name is Melkhiresa? It's not Paige Turner?"

Yeah. The book warned me that might happen. You share your knowledge with me, and I share my memories with you. You're like... an encyclopedia. You have data, but you don't know how to THINK. I can do that for you. Speaking of, is there REALLY a dryad trapped in the North Woods? Amazing.

Is... something wrong?

"There's blood on my hands."

Oh don't worry about THEM. They had it coming.

"No. I'm a murderer. It's my fault."

You didn't do anything. It just feels like you did, because we're sharing memories.

Besides, you're an incorporeal DEMON with no mind of your own. Why do you even care?

"They were INNOCENT."

Okay, LOOK-

"Send me back to the darkness. Please!"

No. I am in control here. Not YOU. You can re-write memories, can't you? Yeah, you can. I can SEE it. Remember this night however you want to. Whatever makes you live with yourself.

As for me? I have... business to take care of outside.

The scene fades.

May you be snatched away from this place!

Let GO of me!

You are no longer welcome, wicked spirit.

The hands you control will no longer do your bidding! In the name of myself, my witness, and the soul whom you hold captive... I CAST YOU OUT!

NOW, KayKay! Turn it on NOW!

Did... did we get it?

Oh yeah. We got it. We frigging got it.

So. How do you...feel?

Yeah. Are you... YOU?

"I'm not me. I never was."

What the hell does that mean?

Um. Guys? Are demons supposed to look... human?

What do you mean?

This demon. It looks like...

"Me. It looks like me, doesn't it?"

Um. Yeah.

What?

Yeah. Care to tell us why? Come ON. We could always count on you to be honest at the bar. Can't you be honest with us now?

"The spirit in the circle is no demon. It's Paige Turner."

You are not lying. But that means...

That means you exorcised the wrong spirit. TWICE. Morons.

You're... not the demon?

He gets it! I'd clap, but... you know.

But HOW? It shouldn't be POSSIBLE to exorcise a human soul. You'd fry it.

Lucky for me that you suck at this.

You be quiet.

Eli. The words in that exorcism spell. They do not actually specify "demon." Do they?

No. It's broader than that. The exact words were...

...wicked spirit.

"You killed all those people, Paige. I can still see their faces."

Yeah. Well. I always WAS good at pretending. Even at that drat bar, I did nothing but pretend. Nodding while some corporate drone got shitfaced and complain about his day. Hearing about every break up, every hook up, every god drat sob story. I'd nod and pretend I understood. Hell, even complete tee-totallers thought I was a great bartender.

What... are you talking about?

Oh. Hey Logan. You should've seen the look on your brother's face when I shot him. He did as he lived. With a drunken, stupid look on his face.

You're... you're crazy.

No. This is who I am. This is who I always was. When I got my body back, I thought I could pretend again. Go back to living a normal life. But that's not possible, is it? And maybe that's a good thing. I'm so sick of pretending.

Oh God shut UP already. Logan? Can you and the kid zap her into the afterlife or something?

Um. I don't think so. She's not actually DEAD is she?

What do you think I am? Some helpless ghost? I have learned a lot from you, Melkhiresa. I still have power at my disposal. Body or no body. See you soon.

Oh. You're up. We were taking turns watching you. You know. Just in case?

"Did I glow? Or float? Or chant in my sleep?"

Heh. No. Nothing like that.

Listen to you. You sound like... well, like YOU. I don't know what to think. I just don't.

I remember when that picture was taken.

Do you remember ANYTHING about that night?

"Jonah got a new job. You bought a whole round to celebrate."

Yeah. We were all so proud of him. But my point is... we were happy that night. You guys were like family. You - that other you - was my friend. But she wasn't. She hated me. Hated Jonah. Hated everything. I just gotta know. Why? Do you remember? Somewhere in that head of hers?

"If there's any hatred left in Paige Turner's brain... I don't have it. It all went with her."

Okay. That's all I needed to hear. See you downstairs.

It's the only thing that makes sense.

Yeah. It doesn't sound right, but maybe it's for the best. Hey. She's here.

Ah. You'd better... get over here.

Yes. We have come to a decision.

"I'm an abomination, I know."

Jesus. Don't be so overdramatic.

Indeed. We were only discussing the trains.

Yeah. The F train is down, so we're gonna have to take the 6 and then transfer.

It's the only way to get down to Wall Street.

Especially at this hour.

"What do you mean?"

It is as we said. No more and no less.

Look. So you're not who you thought you were. From what we've just learned, that's a GOOD thing. My old bartender's out there doing god-knows what. You're here trying to take her down.

In terms of the big picture, nothing has changed. Our goal remains the same. Assuming... you are still with us?

"As long as you'll have me, I'm with you."

That's what we like to hear.

So... what should we call you?

Yeah. We can't keep calling you by the same name.

"You're right. I'll choose a new name."

Very well. It will be an adjustment, bu we will abide by your choice.

"What exactly am I?"

This is a question I have asked myself my entire life. I have yet to find an answer.

That's not exactly encouraging.

It is the only truth I can offer.

No. I get it. EVERYONE is trying to figure out who they are. Some more than others.

Human or not, you're just like everybody else alive.

Er. Sorry KayKay.

"So am I human?"

You are if you want to be. That's really all there is to it.

"My memories of being Paige Turner have got me all mixed up..."

Yes. I can see how that might be... confusing. Some unsolicited advice, from one half-spirit to another? There IS no right answer. Your only option it to just let yourself BE yourself. You are you. No more. No less.

"Any thoughts on that last mission, Mandana?"

Calliope was my friend. One I had not seen in centuries, but a friend nevertheless. Our actions were necessary, but I betrayed her trust. It will be... difficult to reconcile these feelings.

1. What should our new name be? The game offers Melkhiresa and Mel as options but we can also submit our own choice as we did back at the start. We can even stick with Paige Turner if we want, although the dialogue obviously assumes we won't.
  2. Who are we taking with us to Wall Street?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Wait... what?

Let me see if I'm getting this straight. Paige Turner is a human psycho killer cultist person. She... summoned a "demon"... that's us... for... some reason. To get power? But despite being a demon, we aren't actually evil. So when the exorcism happened... the human soul was expelled, and the demon remained, because the human was more evil?

What the hell?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Iunnrais posted:

So when the exorcism happened... the human soul was expelled, and the demon remained, because the human was more evil?

The effect of the exorcism was to expel a wicked spirit. Presumably, that normally gets the demon, but in this case our human soul managed to out-wicked the demon and got booted out instead.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That's definitely one hell of a twist, I'll say that much.

From Paige's own words at the summoning time, Melkhiresa isn't really good or evil, they're just a big repository of knowledge. Whereas Paige is a murdering psychopath. So since the parameters of the exorcism spell are non-specific except for excising 'an evil spirit', Paige got removed from the body, and Melkhiresa's self-rewritten memories made them think they were a regular bartender named Paige Turner the entire time.

The most reasonable in-universe explanation I can think of as to why we don't have any of this repository of knowledge is that Paige essentially stole that from us.

I'll say that this train scene here is why I don't like the arbitrary 3 person limits on going places, considering that for this scene, the Unavowed just decide to go all 5 somewhere because..... reasons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

Let me see if I'm getting this straight. Paige Turner is a human psycho killer cultist person. She... summoned a "demon"... that's us... for... some reason. To get power?
Specifically, knowledge. Which she could use to get power. And she wasn't a cultist, she just had happened to acquire some kind of spell book somehow. We don't know where she got it and it's not really important.

Iunnrais posted:

But despite being a demon, we aren't actually evil.
The implication seems to be that "demon" is just the name for a particular type of spiritual entity, not necessarily an evil one. Like how the ligamental was gross and ate people but wasn't actually a bad person.

Iunnrais posted:

So when the exorcism happened... the human soul was expelled, and the demon remained, because the human was more evil?
A human soul is a type of spirit. Melkhiresa was neither good nor evil since it had no agency. When the exorcism specified that the "wicked spirit" be expelled, there was only one choice. And also Eli is just figuring stuff out as he goes since there's no more experienced Mage to teach him anything, so he hosed up the spell.

Keldulas posted:

The most reasonable in-universe explanation I can think of as to why we don't have any of this repository of knowledge is that Paige essentially stole that from us.
Or Melkhiresa just can't access that part of itself since it's so effectively convinced itself that it's actually Paige. :shrug:

Keldulas posted:

I'll say that this train scene here is why I don't like the arbitrary 3 person limits on going places, considering that for this scene, the Unavowed just decide to go all 5 somewhere because..... reasons.
It needs literally one line added to say "we'd better not all go - such a big group will attract too much attention."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
We obviously need Logan and Kaykay with us at all times just to make sure we aren't possessed. Wait, is possessed the right word in this case?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

We obviously need Logan and Kaykay with us at all times just to make sure we aren't possessed.
They count as one person for choosing our team, so you can add either Eli or Mandana as a second pick. If you want to.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 4, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Soo... that was the bartender background, the police background obviously gets Vicki's story instead of Logan's, but how do they pull off the emotional investment if you play an actor?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
For the name, I actually like Melissa. Melkhiresa by their actions have completely embraced being human, so it feels like a nod to how they started.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Keldulas posted:

For the name, I actually like Melissa. Melkhiresa by their actions have completely embraced being human, so it feels like a nod to how they started.

Yeah, I like this. Melissa

anilEhilated posted:

Soo... that was the bartender background, the police background obviously gets Vicki's story instead of Logan's, but how do they pull off the emotional investment if you play an actor?

You find out Mandana is really into amateur theatre? :shrug:

And this

anilEhilated posted:

Eli, Logan, Wall Street. Having an ex-accountant and an ex-alcoholic in our crew should mean we fit right in.

is still the most appropriate option.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Mel

anilEhilated posted:

Eli, Logan, Wall Street. Having an ex-accountant and an ex-alcoholic in our crew should mean we fit right in.

Does the actor background ties you closer to Calliope's story?

Cop background would be a bit "too soon" these days

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Melk

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Forgot to include a name. I like Melissa too.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I say we embrace our new identity to its fullest. Hellmaster Baphomet o'Satan

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man, this was one hell of a twist. Loved it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Neat twist. Mandana and Logan/KayKay and let’s go with Melissa

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 4, 2020

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah I did not see that coming. I’ll get on the bandwagon with Melissa.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Our name is Melissa, and we're going with Eli and Logan.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Kitfox88 posted:

Neat twist. Mandana and Logan/KayKay and let’s go with Melissa

I vote for this as well. I like Eli, but honest,y Mandana hasn't gotten enough screentime considering how cool she is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I never have my "Adso of Melk/Subtractso of Melk" meme when I need it

Melissa, Mandana, Logan

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Interesting story twist. Really looking forward to see where they take this.

I like Mel myself but Melissa works too.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Take Eli and Vicki to Wall Street. Nothing like an accountant to make rich people squirm.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I was not expecting that!

Melissa is a good name, take Logan and Mandana as our spiritual support crew.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Holy gently caress, now that is a twist. :psyboom:

I'm just gonna go with the rest here. Melissa's a good name for her, and let's see Logan and Mandana

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I was not expecting that!

Melissa is a good name, take Logan and Mandana as our spiritual support crew.
Same vote, and holy crap I did not see that twist coming. That's amazing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Unavowed is really good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

We obviously need Logan and Kaykay with us at all times just to make sure we aren't possessed.

Hopefully I'll have the next update done some time tomorrow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I want this on my gravestone

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
One cool thing about the revisit of the bar scene: you can see KayKay writing "help him please" on the mirror when you walk into the bathroom to see Jonah, but once it becomes clear that Paige is a psychopath, the message fades out and fades back in as just "help". Another great touch.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A grand old clock peeks out of the evening mists. Eli looks more relaxed than we've ever seen him. He stands taller. His steps are bouncier. Logan continues to smile and nod to a voice only he can hear. A woman is busy attaching a poster to the wall. On the other side of the doorway is a poster for a missing child.

Not now. It's night. The ferry's closed.

Huh?

KayKay wants to go see the Statue of Liberty. The ferry's nearby.

Heh. That's so fun. I took my girls there once. She'll love it.

Er. Yeah. She likes flying up to the statue's head and mooning it.

Oh. Um. That's fun too, I guess.

"Do you know anything about the Wall Street area, Eli?"

You kidding? This is the financial capital of the country. Maybe the world.

This is where it all happens. Right here. In every board room of every building, empires rise and fall.

And fall. And fall.

It's economic entropy. It's inevitable. And the folks here? They try and FIGHT it.

I knew some... good people here. Sometimes I wonder what happened to them.

"Ever been to this area before, Logan?"

Well, I'll tell you one thing. When these Wall Street types drink, they like 'em strong.

And the bars down here do NOT mess around. Even serious drinkers like my brother had to be careful.

For... all the good that did him in the end.

"You seem... strangely happy, Eli."

Well I am. This was my old stomping grounds, back in my mundane days. I spent half my life here. My firm had dealings with all the major banks. HomeFed, Downey, Gibraltar...

Course, they're all closed now. Guess they couldn't handle it without me.

*sigh*

The famous charging bull of Wall Street, a monument to finance. GCT, a financial megacorp, dogged by scandal and accusations of underhanded dealings. A sleek sliding glass door leads into the bank headquarters. The rain puddles into a reflection of the towering glass building. The man grips his sign like his life depends on it.

They sit in their tower, believing they are giants. That they are too important - too VITAL - to fail. So they walk like giants in the clouds. Looking down on us with disgust. Nobody can see the truth. Nobody can see them for what they are. They are thieves! Stealing our future. Our CHILDREN. And we let them. Over and over again. This building. This gleaming glass monolith. It represents all we want to be. But it was built on a foundation of LIES, and sustained by the gullible. The gullible who sell their souls willingly to a God who doesn't care.

"Are you all right?"

All right? Society is being consumed by a terminal poison! We have been robbed and nobody sees it! So no, madam. I am not all right.

I am in great pain, as we all are.

"Can you tell me what's wrong? Maybe we can help?"

Help? Can you help the ant under the fascist's boot? No. It is already too late. The battle is lost. The future has been taken.

And nobody can help, because they don't SEE.

"'They don't see?' You don't mean void-touched, do you?"

The only void is the dark emptiness inside the Grant City Trust! They are the cancerous tumor, poisoning society and STEALING our future.

But nobody sees it. They... can't.

"What are you doing out here?"

Screaming into the abyss in the hope that someone hears me.

Can you hear me?

We heard you. It would be kinda hard not to.

You hear with your ears, but not your MIND.

You are asleep. WAKE UP!

Please.

"Our future's been taken?"

...yes. Yes it has. Taken by us. For the benefit of THEM. The giants on high!

Pity the few who are chosen. They... know not why.

"I... don't understand what you mean."

I know. I just hoped... No. This is... my cross to bear.

"We are asleep?"

Yes. Because I am the only one awake!

Please wake up. Please!

"You don't mean literal giants, do you?"

They BELIEVE they are giants. Looking down at us from the clouds and calling us losers. But THEY are the losers. They would be NOTHING if it weren't for us.

"What is your issue with the Grant City Trust?"

They... they... ...

They are a cancer on society! Taking our future. Taking our LIVES.

Look. I get that you're upset, but all this shouting? It's not healthy. You understand that, right?

I mean PRECISELY what I say.

"Bye. We'll leave you to... whatever you are doing."

Beyond the sliding door lies a spotless temple to capitalism.

That ghost. Can you see it, Logan?

Yeah I can see him. Old guy. Wearing a suit. Looking down the street.

Hey. Um. Excuse me? Could we talk for a sec?

*sigh* Might as well. The service is being slow as poo poo today.

Dude. The kid?

Heh. Sorry. Didn't see you there. What's your name? KayKay, huh? Well, KayKay. Here's an early lesson for you: Never trust a man who doesn't swear. My dad taught me that.

You said your service was slow?

I believe the phrase was "slow as poo poo."

Er. Yeah. That. What service?

My CAR service. Been waiting for .. I don't how long.

I hate to tell you this, but I don't think your car service is coming.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that too. Well, I can give it a little longer. I'm in no hurry.

No. You're, um, definitely not. I'm Logan Brown. You've already met KayKay. What's your name?

... You seriously don't know?

Nope. I don't.

Then my name is... Richard. Richard Gere.

For real?

Hah. No.

Seriously, man. What's your name?

Paul Newman.

No, it's not.

John Travolta.

No.

Is it Al Pacino?

I'm the one asking you.

Then I guess it can't be that important.

You're not gonna tell me your name, are you?

I don't see how it's important. My dad always said to stick to the essentials.

Do you work at the Grant City Trust?

What gave it away? My suit?

Well, yeah. It's a good suit. What do you do here?

Little of this. Little of that.

That's... kinda vague.

Always keep 'em guessing. That's what my dad always said.

I guess we'll see you around.

Sure. Now where is that god drat car service...

The man behind the desk seems bored, but happy. Past him is a bank of elevators to usher you into the inner sanctum. There's a stack of cards for visitors to leave messages on. The plant by the door could do with some water. A portrait of an imperious-looking older man gazes down at you.

Jason Grant...? THAT'S Jason Grant? I don't believe it.

You know him?

Sure, I know him. Well, KNEW him. Back in the 60s. Jason was just a fresh-faced kid then. He got... old.

That's not all he got. This guy? He's the ghost we saw outside.

You're kidding.

No. This is the guy.

He's haunting his own bank?

Well, yeah. The sidewalk outside, anyway.

Hey folks.

"You're open late."

It isn't late in Beijing. Or in Australia. Global world of finance. Someone is always working here. Which means someone is always at this desk.

"Can I go in?"

Sure, just show me your ID and I'll buzz you right in.

"I don't have ID. Can I go in anyway?"

I shouldn't, but what the hell. Go right ahead.

Seriously?

Uh. NO. Sorry. I'm just messing with you guys. The late shift gets boring. What can I say?

"Thanks for your time."

See you around.

Nothing else to do here for the moment so we'll head back outside and talk to Jason Grant again.

Hi. Um. Sir?

Yes?

You're Jason Grant, aren't you? You run this bank?

Run it? Maybe I did, once upon a time. Now a board of directors does all that. I'm just a figurehead, these days. Suits me fine. The world moves too drat fast. This old brain can't keep up. Now where is that god drat car service...

As we walk back past the subway station we notice that the woman who was putting up the poster earlier has moved on. The poster she put up is the same as the one we already looked at. We continue on to the other side of the subway station and another vision.

...I won't let one mistake destroy everything I've built. I WON'T. Too many depend on us. There's too much at stake.

It sounds to me like you have a problem.

Yes I know this. I am too old for flippancy. The Trust must survive. If we go down? It would be catastrophic. You told me you could make all this go away. Is this true?

I wouldn't lie about something this important.

It's lying that got us into this mess. Be sure to remember that. Listen, Miss... what was your name again? It is not my nature to trust anyone. Least of all a stranger. And yet, I think you're the woman for the job. Whatever it is you need to do? Do it. With my blessing.

Thank you, Jason. This will all be over soon.

Let's go to my office and discuss this privately.

Jason? As in Jason GRANT? What's he doing making deals with demons?

Is... everything all right? Should I call an ambulance?

Oh. Hi. No. Our friend is just having an... episode. She gets them. Sometimes.

You're...

No. Nevermind. It's not my problem.

See? Totally fine.

Well, you SEEM all right.

Just be careful around here. It's... ...

Well, just be careful.

And she walks into the building.

The dim light from the lamps scatters on the wet street. Strong wooden doors form a barrier to a pleasant apartment building. Hardy plants bring a touch of nature to the big city.

Well. That was awkward.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So does this mean Logan and KayKay are mandatory for this section, or would the ghost talk to Paige Melk if there wasn't a convenient medium around?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Black Robe posted:

So does this mean Logan and KayKay are mandatory for this section, or would the ghost talk to Paige Melk if there wasn't a convenient medium around?
There are almost always alternative solutions. Like how in Brooklyn we saw the ghost of Amos Fennel but never spoke to him because Logan wasn't with us. We just found the information he could have given us elsewhere.

Logan and KayKay are required to get Kevin out of the police station in Chinatown and the game will force you to switch someone out at that point, but situations like that are the exception. Usually you don't need a specific person.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Yeah there’s usually a solution involving knowing a local cop, or a pipe to climb or some info burned up so puzzles are solvable no matter who you have, the Kay Kay prison break sequence excepted.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Eli really puts the brakes on the usual method of evidence disposal.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Gotta respect the man for sticking to his guns. "Don't trust an adult who doesn't swear" followed by swearing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I should have started this up again last week but I've been lazy. But I've just gone over the thread so far (to remind myself where we're up to) and made sure I've got everything ready to go, so tomorrow I'll write up the next update. And then probably go back and add some videos to the last couple of updates since I seem to have forgotten (or not bothered) to include them.