Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Much as I hate making his decision for him, yeah I think he has at least a (distant?) shot at a decent life in fire town. Hopefully the other fire elementals that live there are reasonable enough folks like the tendon man we met earlier was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

so this is a game about forcing you to make awful decisions i see

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They're not all awful. We uh, got to pick our background

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hwurmp posted:

They're not all awful. We uh, got to pick our background

That was just a choice on which life we wanted to watch get ruined!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SpruceZeus posted:

Our unwelcome cerebral roommate definitely caused some fallout.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

SpruceZeus posted:

We spent a year without making any decisions and look how that turned out!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shei-kun posted:

I'm voting banishment only because we're being forced to choose, and that's the one decision that doesn't permanently exclude the other option, however slim the chances may be.

The decision is locked in and the next update should be some time tomorrow.

This is again the same option I chose when I played the first time, for essentially the same reason Shei-kun gave. I don't feel like Jordon's had enough time to really consider it and choosing death at this stage seems impulsive and premature. If he still wants to die later on I'm sure he'll have opportunities. Forever is a long time, after all.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

wiegieman posted:

That was just a choice on which life we wanted to watch get ruined!

We got to pick if we were male or female, which probably just affected our appearance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"Jordon? You should go across the void. You'll be happier there."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk6oTY5z5A4

Yes. Yes, Master. You are right. Maybe this is what was meant to be. Maybe you saved me that night for this very reason. Maybe I have some purpose to fulfill in this new dimension. Okay. I am ready.

You two should wait above ground. I will help him transfer across the void.

Back out to the street.

I guess he's on his way now. Off to his new life. Assuming you can still call it life. You think we did the right thing?

"He has a chance out there. More than he would here."

A chance is better than nothing? Maybe.

But to live through eternity without seeing another human being...

I couldn't take it. I know that much.

"It might be nice to live in another world."

I've seen pictures of fire dimensions. They look like Hell. Literally.

I know what I am. I'm not entirely normal, but I know that I'm human. I know that I'm ME.

If I lose that, then I lose everything.

Mandana arrives from below.

So. Is he...

Yes. He has gone through the void.

"Is he... okay?"

I believe he will be. Eventually. Only time will tell. He did retrieve the ritual knife for me before he left.

Well, that's something. I'll study it back at the lab.

I know the routine. I shall call ahead and have pizza delivered.

It's like you read my mind.

So it's back to our new home to sleep another day away.

Good. You are awake. I was hoping to talk to you.

"Is it about our mission last night?"

Yes. And... no. You have completed your first field mission. You must have... thoughts. I am curious as to what they are. What are you feeling at the moment?

"I'm still a bit overwhelmed, to be honest."

It would be foolish not to be. You have encountered many changes very quickly.

I believe we made the right choice with Jordon. When he disappeared across the void, he seemed... content? Less conflicted. More determined. I am sure he will make a life for himself there.

For some of us, the Unavowed is a calling. For others, a duty.

But for you... I have seen you in action. I have seen you react under pressure. You were clearly meant for this life.

"All I know is pouring drinks."

You misunderstand me.

Your old life - your life as a barkeep - prepared you for this. Your empathy. Your ability to connect to others... They are qualities we need. Quite badly, I must say.

"You all seem pretty empathetic to me."

We are an ancient institution. We need new energy. New minds. New hearts. The Unavowed has been without that for a very long time. At any rate, I detect no falsehood within you. You spoke the truth to me. Thank you.

"Can you really detect falsehoods?

Yes. Lies and falsehoods make Jinns... uncomfortable. We cannot abide the sensation.

Of course, the ability to detect a lie is often useful in the field, so I have... accepted it.

"I grew up on Mars, and I am 120 years old."

I did mention that a lie makes a Jinn very uncomfortable?

I would have thought that that shouldn't count since no one could be expected to believe it. Does this mean that Jinns can't stand jokes or fiction? Is watching an actor on TV just continuously saying things that aren't true like a form of torture?

Think of fingernails on a chalkboard, but inside your brain. Jinns cannot abide to SPEAK a lie, let alone listen to one.

"So you can't SPEAK a lie either?"

Indeed. No Jinn could. It gives us physical pain.

Of course, this means that jinns resort to mindtricks and verbal trickery.

"Mindtricks and verbal trickery? You're saying I shouldn't trust you?"

You can trust me to tell the truth. I have no desire to trick you or anyone else. My purpose is to serve the Unavowed. Nothing more. Nothing less.

"But if tricking me served the Unavowed...?"

*sigh*

This is why nobody trusts the Jinn. One always looks for hidden meaning. Mindgames and wordplay are... silly. I find them tiresome. So I have focused my efforts elsewhere.

I hope you will grow to trust me. And that is the truth.

"I don't know you well, but I think I can trust you."

Thank you. That is... appreciated.

"So where'd you learn to use a sword?"

Like with most things, I learned it at my mother's knee. Well, not literally. She was usually cutting off OTHER people's knees, but the metaphor holds.

I will return to my training now.

Eli stares into the flickering fireball. The pizza is cold, but that's probably not a problem for Eli.

Oh. Hi. Didn't see you there. I was just reading some old texts with Fire Sight.

"Uh huh. I don't know what that is."

Oh. Of course. Sorry. It's a fire magic trick. Let's me read any book that was consumed by a flame.

It's a bit of a strain on the eyes, but beggars can't be choosers.

"So what are you reading?"

It's an old Sumerian text about death magic. Really long. Really boring.

But I used to read books about S-corp tax code for fun, back when I was an accountant. I can handle boring.

"Any thoughts on our last mission?"

I don't know. I just keep thinking about Jordon. Wondering if he's OK. I'm going to live a long time, but even when I'm dust in the wind; he'll still be out there. I only hope he's... still himself.

"Could I ask you about some of the pictures on your walls?"

Sure, I guess.

"What are you and Mandana doing in that photo by the door?"

We were feeding the birds. What? You expected something else? There's nothing special about it. Just an ordinary day.

"If the picture is nothing special, why are you smiling?"

I... am?

Huh. Yeah I guess I am.

The picture was taken in... '77? '78? Around five years after my powers kicked in, anyway. I'd buried myself down here. Studying old books. Experimenting with spells. Trying to come to terms with everything. Then Mandana dragged me out to the park. We fed the birds. It was... nice. Normal. Ordinary.

I felt human. And I can never forget that. Not ever.

"The house. The mailbox says 'Beckett.'"

You know what they say. If it's yours, put your name on it.

But yeah, that's my house. Well, fifty years ago it was my house. Had to leave it behind when my powers kicked in. And the worst part? I was only five installments away from paying off the mortgage.

"You mentioned being an accountant."

That's right. Back in my mundane days. Back before my powers kicked in. I worked at the firm Wiesel, Meltzer and Sherman.

There used to be a "Beckett" somewhere in the middle of that but, well, you know.

I was drat good at it, too. I made partner in five years. Worked at the firm for another twenty.

You had to KNOW things to be an accountant back then. No computers to do half your job for you. And to make partner? You had to crunch numbers in your sleep.

Me? I ate them for breakfast.

"You make being an accountant sound so exciting."

Well it WAS. For me, anyway. Lining up numbers in my head, making them dance and do what I want. My boss used to say it was like magic. Turns out the old man was being literal. Who knew? Throwing a fireball or preparing your tax return. Tomayto tomahtoh. It's all just numbers. And I'm REALLY good at equations and numbers. Always have been.

"That picture of you at the desk."

Yep. That's me. Hard at work. I can even remember the account I was working on. This dress manufacturer in midtown. Booming business. Lots of numbers. Tons of paperwork. Took me months to sort through it all.

I loved every minute of it.

"Well, I'll leave you to it."

Kalash commands attention even when standing passively in a room. He is staring at the big blue crystal. It's talking to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlv-6e-KTqc

...to send you aid would leave our own domains undefended. You know this, Kalash.

Undefended against what? Ours is the only domain under attack!

Your charter is quite clear. Recruitment is your responsibility.

You accuse me of negligence? Just how many agents are currently in YOUR employ?

That is precisely the point. We have no agents to spare. I am sorry, Kalash.

So am I, Aralax. New York is getting overwhelmed. When that happens, they will come for YOU.

Then we must be ready when it comes. Aralax out.

May Jahannam swallow you whole!

He turns and sees us standing in the doorway.

Ah. You... heard that, did you?

We could lie to him here, but given what we've learned about Jinns that seems like a bad idea.

"You said we were getting overwhelmed?"

Certainly. No doubt about it. It is no secret that threats have been escalating. I had hoped to appeal for aid and fill up our ranks. Alas, we are on our own. I respect Lady Aralax, but I should have known better. Never ask a dragon for anything. You will always regret it.

"What is that crystal? Some kind of magic phone?"

A magic phone...? I suppose that is one way of describing it. There are shards of this crystal in every branch of the Unavowed. It allows us to... communicate. For whatever good that does.

"And did I hear right that you were speaking to a dragon?"

A dragon at the head of the Dublin branch of the Unavowed. Yes. She is... old. Stuck in her ways. I suppose the same could be said of most of us.

I have appealed once more for aid. It has been rejected.

Huh. This is my surprised face.

Why do you bother with these cowards, father?

Show some respect. They are correct. Stubborn, but correct.

"You think they shouldn't send us help?"

I didn't say that. I said there are rules, and they are following them. Each branch is responsible for its own defense and recruitment. In this respect... I have been negligent.

So have ALL the branches, Father. A sudden rise in threats would have caught any city unprepared.

And we're that city. Lucky us.

I shall appeal again, rest assured. In the meantime, let us go over last night's events.

"I almost got crushed by a giant ice block."

You... seem fine to me. As for the others... Daughter. I trust you have recuperated from your ordeal with the fire elemental?

I have. There do not appear to be any other... ill effects.

So you aren't entirely positive?

I took all the necessary precautions, but one is never entirely positive.

Then I will have to accept that. However, I am DEEPLY CONCERNED that this mundane was able to acquire such a powerful spell in the first place.

"I gave it to him. Or rather, my demon-self did."

Yes, but WHY? Why would a demon do such a thing?

Why do demons do anything?

To create havoc, obviously. Why else?

No. This was too focused. Too targeted. We are not dealing with a mindless spirit, bent on chaos and destruction. This demon had a plan. A purpose. We need to learn what it was.

"And how do we do that?"

Funny you should say that...

Ah. I know that look. You did as I asked, Mage Beckett?

Yes I did, sir. And it worked. Well, working. It's not quite done yet.

What are you referring to?

Oh. The ritual knife. I did a thaumaturgic scan on it.

"What did you find?"

Hold on. I'm getting to that. The knife was imbued with a very specific energy signature. Your demon's energy to be precise. It's connected to you and you alone. That's why you were the only one who could use it properly.

Which means... we can track it.

"So you know where the demon is?"

Um. No. Not exactly. The demon's out of your body now. Its energy signature has changed. I can only track where it's been when it was in your body.

"So where did the demon take me?"

It was... busy. I'll say that much. It was all over the map. I'm trying to narrow it down to the areas of greatest activity, but it's slow going. So far the scan's got you pegged in two places. The Bronx, around Gun Hill Station. And Staten Island, by the ferry terminal.

"The Bronx? I hope I don't run into one of my old customers."

The veil should take care of that. Don't worry.

We saw how well the veil worked on Wendy...

Very well. Check both areas for void activity, and any sign of the demon. We'll show those idiots on the council what New York is made of! Meeting adjourned.

Mandana is smiling slightly to herself, eager to discover what lies ahead. Eli appears to wait patiently but the steam wafting from his fingers betrays his eagerness.

The Bronx AND Staten Island? Good thing I refilled my Metrocard last week.

The hour grows late and the trail grows cold. Let us be off.

Where should we go first? The Bronx or Staten Island?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edit: Accidental double post. Whoops.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Let's give 'em the old Bronx cheer.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Even though the memories are painful, it might be therapeutic to see the old neighborhood again. Let’s hit the Bronx.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Staten Island

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Leave (for) the Bronx

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The Bronx is more fun to say, so let's go there first.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Better to get hellStaten island out of the way first

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Staten Island

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Staten Island

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
A tough choice, both sites have quite interesting little things here, but I think Staten Island will be more interest as the first.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Hmm. Staten Island seems like it could be more interesting, and thus would be better to go there second? I'll vote for The Bronx.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I don't know New York well enough to make an informed decision but watching that video I thought I recognized Kalash's voice.

I double-checked and I was right about who it was.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hey Tiggum, do you mind if we talk about stuff that happens in the other origins when it becomes relevant? I've only ever done the cop origin so I couldn't contribute much but its major differences will likely be coming up here soon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Polaron posted:

Hey Tiggum, do you mind if we talk about stuff that happens in the other origins when it becomes relevant?
Go for it. I played the actor origin the first time I played so I'll be trying to point out any differences from that the I notice, but I might forget some stuff and I haven't played the cop origin at all.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tiggum posted:

Go for it. I played the actor origin the first time I played so I'll be trying to point out any differences from that the I notice, but I might forget some stuff and I haven't played the cop origin at all.

Cool. The main one that's come up so far is that you're able to get a bit more info out of the cop in front of the burned-out building and he'll let you right in because you claim to be an investigator from a nearby precinct. It's not that big of a deal because, as Tiggum just demonstrated, the bartender (and I assume the actor) are also able to get past him pretty easily. However, there are police officers in every section of the game and the cop generally has an easier time dealing with them or getting information from them.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 4, 2019

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It makes sense that, in a game that's basically about investigating crimes, "has a badge and looks like a cop" is important.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Staten Island
Staten island it is. Update should be some time tomorrow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Eli. You are tapping the edge of your book.

I am?

Yes. It is quite... aggressive.

Huh. Mind must've wandered. Sorry about that. I'll stop.

...Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7BRHGwh_to

Eli is still bone-dry, despite the rain. Mandana's gaze keeps drifting toward the water. She is smiling slightly.

*whistle*

I know that song. That's "Lowlands Away" isn't it?

Yes. An old shanty. Being at sea just... reminds me of younger days.

Well, don't let me stop you. We could use a bit of cheer on a dreary night like this.

No. I shall not lose myself in the past. Let us proceed.

We head off to the right and... fall down.

Another of our demon's memories.

Summoner! You have made a grave error. Return me to my world immediately!

"Or what? You are in my control."

Release me! Send me back! You summoned me in the middle of BATTLE. I am the General Commander. Without me, my soldiers are doomed to failure!

"They were doomed to failure anyway."

It matters not. They are under my command. It is no secret our efforts are going poorly. Perhaps even futile. They poison our waters. They destroy our resources. Our homes. Our LIVES. So we fight. Outnumbered and outmatched, but what choice do we have?

"Would you rather complain, or would you rather win?"

We don't want to win. We want to LIVE. If you have counsel to offer, I am listening.

"This is going to be FUN."

Was that...?

One of the mer-folk? I... can not say for certain.

"Ow. Ow. Ow."

Woah. Take it easy.

Yes. Try and get your bearings.

You can lean over the rail if you need to, you know, throw up. I guarantee nobody will notice the smell around here.

We stand up.

You seem all right. Good.

"Did I hear you right? That was a mermaid?"

One of the mer-folk, yes. The demon... summoned it.

But... how? To open such a path takes tremendous energy. Energy that a demon alone should not possess.

Such a thing is impossible. And yet, I spoke it. So it must be true.

"So mer-people exist."

Yes. And the less you express surprise at every supernatural encounter, the faster we can get on with things. Speaking of, let us venture forward. We will learn nothing standing here in the rain.

The spot where our demon summoned the merman is just to the right of here but there's nothing to see there now. So instead we'll carry on down the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34M5EKu9Z6Y

There's a woman talking to a cop. The cop is barely out of his teens. He is entranced by his phone.

That's crap and you know it!

Keep your voice down.

Oh. I'm sorry. Wouldn't want to EMBARRASS you.

Jesus, V. It's not that. You can't be here.

Everyone already looks at me funny. Can't you just... stop?

People are dead. How many are gonna pile up before you DO something?

It's a tragedy, Vicki. That's all this is.

... Right. Sure. I'm getting a drink. See you around, Donny.

Bye.

She leaves. Wonder what that was about? Let's go ask.

Huh? Sorry. I was a bit... distracted.

"I couldn't help but overhear that argument you were having..."

Nobody. You didn't see me with anyone.

"Sorry to tell you, but I did see you arguing with someone."

poo poo. I mean. Crap. drat it, Vicki. Why do you have to screw up everything? Don't tell anyone, okay? I'll never hear the end of it.

"Is there some kind of problem?"

With Vicki? There's ALWAYS a problem. And that's all I'm gonna say.

"OK. So you're waiting for the bus?"

Yep. Saving up to buy a car, but until then I ride the bus with the plebs. Could be worse. At least cops ride free.

"You look pretty engrossed on your phone there."

I guess I am. You ever play Trollgate? It's like digital crack. I created a character when I was like 16. They got me hooked for life.

"See your around, officer."

Right. See you.

The Trollgate theme music (originally from the Blackwell series) is actually audible here whenever Donny is looking at his phone. It's not important but it's a neat bit of consistency in the setting. We'll head left from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JLB35K6vTo

Vinny's - the best cop dive on Staten Island. There's nothing quite like the warm glow of a bar window in the early evening. A friendly-looking door leads inside. A rattling old air conditioner drips moisture onto the damp street. The door to the storage facility is unlocked. A dark alley snakes its way between it and the bar.

Vinny, come ON. You and me. We go back.

You think I don't know that? But you keep bothering people. You keep bothering ME.

She was your WIFE, you rear end in a top hat.

It... was a tragedy, Vicki. That's all it was.

... You're serious.

Dead rear end serious. Now leave, Santina.

He ducks back inside and shuts the door.

Well screw you too, buddy.

She leaves.

Did you hear that? Again with the "Just a tragedy."

Yes. The deadpan delivery. The blank expression. Something is definitely amiss.

Hey! New faces. All right. Come on in. Dry yourself off.

Vinny is smiling pleasantly. He looks eager for some company. There are a wide variety of local beers on tap and not a bad collection of drinks, although your assortment at Sammy's was better. The blackboard reads "The drink of the month is Vinny's Vodka Martini." Sounds tempting. There's a poster on the wall for a horror film about a nightstick possessed by a serial killer. Not bad. Someone left a flyer for a psychic hotline on one of the tables and a used matchbook with the name of the bar on another. Mandana looks over the wine collection, expressing both approval and dislike.

"Nice wine collection. Is that a Silas Merlot '99?"

You know your stuff! Most folks around here don't know their wines.

I was saving it for my anniversary, but... ...

It was... a tragedy. That's all it was.

"Did something happen to your wife?"

... It was a tragedy. Yeah. It was a tragedy. That's all it was.

"A tragedy? What happened?"

... It was a tragedy. That's all it was.

"That's all you have to say about your wife?"

... It was a tragedy. That's all it was.

"So... this your place?

My name's on the sign.

Ah. So you are Vinny.

You're a sharp one.

So I have been told.

Hah. I like you guys.

"Who were you arguing with outside?"

Oof. Sorry you had to see that. Vicki and me, we go back. I help her out where I can, but there are limits.

"Why does Vicki need help?"

... If you don't know, I probably shouldn't say. You guys are obviously not from the neighborhood.

"Bartender's creed. I get it. But I'd like to help if I can."

Sorry. Can't do it. Like you say, it's part of the job description. Vicki's an old friend. And a good cop, once upon a time. I ain't betraying that.

Even if she HAS become the neighborhood nut.

"Neighborhood nut?"

You've seen her around. You know what I'm talking about. She skeeves everyone out. The cops want nothing to do with her. Even her own family is ready to write her off.

"Her own family won't talk to her?"

I said enough. Sorry. Um. Hey, hat guy. You okay?

I'm fine. It's just... what you said. To turn away from your own family. It's the hardest thing in the world.

Could be. Vicki made it easy for 'em, I'll say that much.

"Well, see you around."

I ain't going anywhere.

We'll move on.

That man. Vinny. Did his emotions read a bit false to you?

You're not wrong. His wife died. He's been brainwashed not to think about it. He should be grieving. He NEEDS to be grieving. It's just... what you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CYHFsghqJU

The September 11th memorial. It overlooks the spot where the Twin Towers once stood. There's a body covered by a mildew-stained tarp, and a cop standing at attention, struggling to retain her dignity in the pouring rain.

So he's like the others?

There are no others.

Janey. This is rotten, and you know it.

It's a tragedy, Vicki. That's all this is.

... God drat it. Forget it. I'm going for a walk. Come talk to me if you wanna do your drat job.

And once again she's off before we can speak to her. The cop addresses us as we approach.

Sorry, miss. You shouldn't be here. You need to leave.

"But there's a dead body here. Should we be scared?"

No. There's no reason to be scared.

This was just a... tragedy. A senseless tragedy.

"What kind of tragedy?"

It's... a tragedy. Just a tragedy. A senseless tragedy.

"Can you be a bit more detailed than that? What kind of tragedy?"

It's...

...a tragedy. That's all this is.

"Let's try this again. What happened?"

It's... It's...

Lemme guess. A tragedy?

...a tragedy. That's all this is.

"Who was that woman you were arguing with?"

Vicki? Nobody. Stay clear of her, if you know what's good for you.

"Is it true Vicki's family won't speak to her?"

Yeesh. Word gets around, don't it? You think it's easy for the Santinas? They're a cop family to the bone. Going back a hundred years, at least. Getting suspended like that had to be a blow.

It doesn't matter. You don't turn away from your family.

I won't argue there, but in Vicki's case, I think it was mutual. Her folks had their anniversary barbecue last month. Vicki was there. Things went down. Wasn't pretty. I don't know what went down, but the neighbors had to call the cops. Which, as you can imagine, made things a bit awkward at the next briefing meeting.

"Is Vicki really the 'neighborhood nut'?"

Neighborhood NUT? You been talking to Vinny?

Look. She's... going through a rough patch. No question there. But you can't talk about cops that way. Suspended or not. It's about respect.

You did not seem very respectful when you spoke to Vicki yourself.

That's different. I'm a cop.

"Right. I'll leave. See you around."

Sure. Please try and stay clear.

Continuing past Janey we discover that we've done a loop and we're back at the ferry terminal. No sign of Vicki; we've lost her.

Next: It's a tragedy.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 21, 2019

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm guessing this is a part where being from the cop background gets you different responses?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It was a tragedy, such a tragedy. Let's Play Unavowed

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

They are so brainwashed, they can't even make poo poo up.

The Gun!
She...
Such a senseless tragedy.

He fell!
the current...
I couldn't save him.
It's a tragedy.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Your posting... It's a tragedy, such a tragedy

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

This game does disconcerting really well

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I like how everyone has the same empty, hollow expression when they give the "it's a tragedy" answer.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Black Robe posted:

I'm guessing this is a part where being from the cop background gets you different responses?

You could certainly say that. Staten Island was our beat, after all.

You see, that woman we've been following, Vicki?

She was our partner.

As you might imagine, the cop origin story plays out completely differently from the bartender:

It begins with you and Vicki pulling up to high-end goth/rave bar Eternox after a report of an officer-involved incident.

You show the bouncer your shiny new badge and he explains that an officer you and Vicki are familiar with, Officer Morino, took down a bunch of kids armed with knives. "Like Bruce Lee or something", he says. He mentions the cop is a drat hero and deserves a promotion or something

Vicki points out that this is weird because the officer in question isn't exactly the most athletic member of the NYPD. Regardless, you both head inside.

The inside of the bar is empty except for the owner, who explains that she's really confused by the whole situation. She knows the kids who pulled the knives and they're good kids. She's not sure why they did that, but thank god that cop was there. "He disarmed all of them, like something out of a Bruce Lee movie."

You leave Vicki to chat with the manager while you head into the office to talk to the officer. You find him inside with the kids, all handcuffed. The kids seem confused but they all confirm that the cop took them down "just like out of a Bruce Lee movie". ("Wait, who's Bruce Lee?" wonders the girl right after she says this).

At that point Vicky enters the room.

"Hey Morino, just one thing's bothering me", she says. "All three kids have police-issued cuffs on them. Standard officer's kit only has TWO pairs. So where'd the extra come from?"

Not only that, but Morino's had an amazing week. This is his third arrest incident so far this week! And, weirdly, all of the suspects in all of his arrests had perfect records before he caught them red-handed in various robberies.

"I've been reading", he says.

"What, like self help?" she asks.

"Something like that", Morino replies.

And he whips out a book.

"Huh. Never realized you were such a badass," Vicki replies before leaving the room. Moreno turns to do the same to you but you pull your gun on him and tell him to drop the book.

He does so and kicks it over to you. You pick it up, there's a flash and Something enters your body via the eyes and mouth. And then, while Moreno is complaining about having been stuck in his uniform for TEN YEARS and it's so unfair that nobody has given him a chance, you shoot the kids in the head one by one. And then Moreno.

Then you go downstairs and see the owner and Vicki. The bar owner is telling Vicki to do something and asking you what's going on and are the kids all right??

She doesn't get any further before you shoot her and Vicki.

Fade to white.

I'll say more once Tiggum gets further into the section because the cop origin colors pretty much every single interaction you have here and I'm really curious to see how it goes otherwise.

(Amusingly, I managed to make the cop origin kinda comical by having named my character Victoria).

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This works for me. And weird, I was just thinking about how a story about a former possession victim dealing with the fallout of their possessor's crimes would be like, and here one is.

You might enjoy the movie Ava’s Possessions. It follows a young lady going through possession rehab and tracing her trail of destruction, etc.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When we left off we'd been all the way around the block but there were a couple of places we hadn't visited yet. The first is the police station. We went past but we never went in.

The wall is covered in old timey photos of cops and cop cars. The plant looks plastic. An officer is taking advantage of the quiet night to get some paperwork done. She sits at the desk, engrossed in her paperwork, and has a steaming mug of black coffee to ward off the cold of the rainy night. Mandana waits patiently in the police lobby, her sword brazenly visible.

Yes? What is it. Are... ... Sorry. I thought you looked a bit familiar. But no. It was just a trick of the light.

"I just have one of those faces."

A useful skill to have, in my line of work. In any case, while I'd love to chat I have a mountain of paperwork to get through. Unless there's something else I could help you with?

"What do you do here?"

Captain Joy Harrison, at your service.

Filling out paperwork a specialty.

"I saw a woman named Vicki arguing with a cop outside."

*sigh* Is she bothering my officers again? That woman just can't let things go.

"Could you tell me about Vicki?"

What's to tell? She used to be one of my finest detectives. Now she's not. I feel for her. I really do. But until she gets the help she needs, she needs to stay out of our way. Now, unless that's all...?

"Vicki needs help? What kind of help?"

MENTAL help. The kind you need a Ph.D. to prescribe medication for. She refuses to get it. And it's only making her condition worse. Heaven helps those who help themselves, as they say. It's out of my hands.

I can't tell if Joy's dialogue is badly-written or if it's supposed to be characterisation, but a lot of the stuff she says doesn't really seem to match up well with the player's dialogue choices - and you can't prescribe medication with a PhD. Anyway, we didn't get much from her so it's time to move on. Maybe that cop outside knows more than he's said?

Evening ma'am.

"Is Vicki really the 'neighborhood nut?'"

Who said that? Was it Vinny? loving Vinny.

*sigh* Course, he's not wrong is he?

"Is it true Vicki's family turned against her?"

Turned against her? Who said that? I haven't turned against her.

Wait. You're related to Vicki?

Fine. Now you know. She's my sister. I'm not trying to make a big deal out of that, okay?

Vicki's been nothing but trouble ever since she got shot.

"Vicki was shot?"

Right in the shoulder. It was during that nightclub shooting last year. Vicki was the only one to get out alive. That kind of thing is bound to mess anybody up, but Vicki... isn't Vicki anymore.

"Vicki is... 'messed up?' How?"

That's just it! We don't know. She just got WEIRD. Angry all the time. Twitchy. Paranoid. She keeps bothering people with questions. Trying to solve cases that we closed a long time ago.

"What cases did Vicki try to reopen?"

Just tragedies. That's all they are. Each of them. Just a tragedy.

"What kind of tragedy?"

Like I said. It's just a tragedy. A... tragedy. That's all it is.

"So a brother and sister are both cops?"

All of us Santinas are cops. Our dad, our grandpop. My two big brothers. It's a family thing.

At least, until now.

"If Vicki is such a problem, why don't you stop her?"

She's a Santina. That name still carries some weight around here. At least, until she takes it too far. Which she will, the way she's going.

You sound almost ashamed of her. Your own sister.

Hey, man. You think I haven't tried talking to her? Tried to get her counseling? Whatever?

She won't LISTEN. I feel bad for her, but she's gone somewhere none of us can follow.

I'm not getting dragged down with her. And that's a fact.

If she wants to live in Vinny's crap basement, that's her business.

"Vicki lives under Vinny's bar?"

Yeah. Since her severance package ran out, that's all she can afford.

"We heard something about a family barbeque?"

See? That's the kind of crap I'm talking about.

My parents do a BBQ every summer for their anniversary. All the neighborhood cops go. So of course Vicki has to show up and cause a scene. Gets into a screaming match with Captain Harrison. I mean... the CAPTAIN. They almost threw hands. I get that Vicki went through... a lot, but you just don't do that.

"See you around, officer."

Maybe we should ask the Captain about that screaming match.

Yes? What is it. I'm quite busy here.

"Is it true you and Vicki got into a fight at the family barbecue?"

*sigh* Everyone's a gossip, aren't they? Yes it's true. It was my fault. I shouldn't have risen to her. But Vicki was a... way. She gets under your skin. Needling you until you snap. Useful on the job. Not so much in civilian life.

What did you argue about?

*sigh* You might have noticed she's been acting... erratic. So she was asked specifically not to come to the party. She came anyway.

She took a handful of the party invitations and burned them on the grill. I've never seen anything so petty in my life.

So I tried to make her leave. She was looking for a fight. I almost gave it to her. I should have known better.

Well, that's that, I suppose. We did also learn that Vicki lives in Vinny's basement though. Could be a lead.

Eli? I have been meaning to ask. How are you coping?

Huh? I'm coping fine. Why?

Until recently, we have only entered the field once or twice a month. Now we are out almost every day. I was worried it might be a... strain on you.

You kidding? This is great. I'm WORKING. I'm doing something. I'm not just stuck in my lab. So don't you worry about me. I'm fine.

Heya.

"I heard Vicki lives in your basement?"

Yeah. I never use the room, so I rent it out sometimes. The door's got a keypad lock, but since I let the renter choose the combo there aren't any problems.

Having Vicki down there is awkward as hell, but what can I do? Let her live in the street?

As long as she uses the alley entrance and doesn't bother my customers, we don't have a problem.

"Is Vicki home?"

She's never home. She only comes home to sleep. What she does all day is her own business.

"Can I take a look around Vicki's room?"

Um. No? What a thing to ask. Why would I let you do that?

"I'm just trying to help her out. Surely you understand?"

Course I understand, but it's a matter of trust.

I mean, what would the world come to if you couldn't trust your bartender?

Well, we really couldn't have expected that to work. I must say though, Dave Gilbert seems to have an absurdly idealised impression of what bartenders are like. Not specifically here but just generally in the dialogue options open to us with that origin and the way people react to them. Anyway, we might as well have a look around the alley behind the bar.

Is this what the old days were like?

The... old days?

You know what I mean. Going into the field every day. A new monster in every shadow. For fifty years, you and Kalash talked about almost nothing else.

I suppose it is easy to romanticize the past.

There is a vile-smelling heap of oozing trashbags by the wall. A heavy metal door, pitted with rust-marks, leads into the back of the bar. It's locked. An old and weathered keypad is embedded next to the door. A heavy cinderblock has been abandoned on the ground. If Mandana is uneasy abut being in a dark alley, she gives no sign. The sword probably helps. The ghost is fuzzy and indistinct. It stares blankly ahead, barely noticing you are even here.

Another ghost. And in a back alley, no less.

Whoever this was, they are beyond our help.

I know. Ignore the ghost. I get it.

Well, chances are this is related to everything else going on here, but since there's absolutely, definitely, no possible way for the living to communicate with the dead we'll just have to try something else.

The door is made of metal. My sword will not move it.

I guess we can't just get past every locked door the same way, but I'm not sure I buy that excuse. Maybe Eli can do something though? What about that trick he showed us back at the house?

"Could you fire read something for me, Eli?"

Sure. What do you need?

"Vicki burned something at the family barbeque. Can you see it?"

Sure. Just a sec.

Seems pretty typical, as these things go. I used to host a bunch of backyard barbeques myself, back in the day.

Course these days I wouldn't even need to buy fuel.

I don't like this puzzle. I think the solution is dumb. We know that Vicki set the door code, and we now know that the anniversary barbecue was on June 18. From this it's not too hard to figure out that, in the context of an adventure game, the door code is probably 0618. But in reality that's, like, a one in a billion shot - not only that she used her parents' anniversary as her password but also that the barbecue was even on the exact day and not the nearest convenient weekend. It breaks suspension of disbelief a bit. But that's how we gain access to Vicki's current place of residence. Oh, and the date is randomised each time so you can't sequence break.

Mmf. The smell. Quite... unpleasant.

Dozens of empty beer bottles litter the room. The "bed" consists of rumpled bedclothes on a soggy air mattress. Clothes and personal effects spill out of damp cardboard boxes. Eli's nose is wrinkling with distaste. If Mandana is bothered by the cramped room, she gives no sign. On the desk is a dull-but-solid butter knife. It has a coating of white dust on it. We'll just take that - because we can, and therefore it must be useful.

Above the desk is an official-looking document, peppered with bullet holes.

A red post-it note is lying next to a clutch of empty ale bottles.

A neatly laid-out bulletin board describing a series of murders hangs on the wall.

On the far wall someone has chalked the message 'You are not crazy.'

Every brick on this wall has a unique descriptor (pitted, old, rough, red, etc.) which, along with the knife we just picked up, makes the solution to this puzzle pretty obvious - but again, only to someone who knows this is an adventure game. There is no reason for Paige, Eli or Mandana to suspect that one of these bricks is loose and conceals a hidden cache. There's no visible sign and no hint pointing to it that I'm aware of. But finding it is the key to moving on. I found the right brick by just clicking on each one in turn till I got it. It was the "tough old brick". Inside is a small blue keycard. A label on it reads: "J&M Storage: 102". Note: The key card is actually grey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JeIY2PCduk

Urf. What a way to live.

You live in a basement too, as I recall.

Yeah, but mine's cosy.

And my neighbors are less, uh, dead.

Don't move. Any of you. Ok. Now turn around. Nice and slow.

Holy poo poo. It's you. The one who shot up the bar in the Bronx.

Gimme one reason why I shouldn't put a bullet in your head right now.

"You can't shoot me. There's a police station around the corner!"

You kidding? After what you put the cops of this city through? They'll pin a loving medal to my chest.

I've been watching you. You've been sniffing around. Asking about me. And... you were talking to that THING behind you.

It's not a thing. It's human spirit.

You think I don't loving know that?

Marlene DeMarco. Missing for a week. Then found dead in this alley. Arms and legs chewed to pieces. There's been no investigation. Nobody even wants to talk about it. Not the cops. Not her husband. Nobody. Nobody except you. So tell me.

What. Is. Going. ON?

"We're trying to find out. Maybe we can help each other?"

Didn't you hear? I can't help people anymore. Had to give that up along with my badge.

Last year I was in the hospital. This guy named Morino went crazy. Started shooting everyone. I took him out, but I took one in the shoulder. Spent a month in recovery. Things were fine. But when I got out? Everything was... weird.

"Weird?"

Yeah. WEIRD. Shut up and listen.

Twelve years I've been a cop. You think that'd mean something. No. I'm out on my rear end. Everyone thought I was crazy. ME! Bodies piling up all over town and I'm the crazy one. Nobody cared. Not the cops I used to serve. Not even the victims' families. It was like they didn't even NOTICE. I thought I was the only one. But you guys notice, don't you?

"That's why we're here. We want to help."

Bullshit. Why should I believe a word you say?

No. Here's what's going to happen. We're all going to march down to the police station. Then you're going to tell the captain everything. Tell her what you can see. Convince them I'm not crazy. Get them to give me my badge back.

"That's a really horrible idea."

You're in no position to argue. You and your... murder groupies are coming with me.

Murder... groupies? This woman was possessed. She was guilty of no crime.

I'm sorry. WHO are you?

I am Mandana.

Look, Madonna. I could care less WHAT you guys are. We're going to the station.

No. We are not.

Stay right there!

For real?

Please lower your weapon. We wish no harm upon you.

This has gotta be a joke. Drop that thing before you hurt yourself.

I am a servant of the Unavowed. We are the wall against the oncoming darkness.

Final warning. Lower. Your. Weapon. Now.

We have vital duties to perform. You are in our way.

You asked for it.

Vicki fires. Mandana parries the bullet.

You've gotta be loving kidding me.

Vicki fires again.

We need not be enemies. Please. Join us. Help us. Perhaps we can help you in return.

I want... I just want..

I wanna be NORMAL. I don't want... THIS. You wanna help? Stay the hell out of my way.

And stay the hell away from me.

Vicki leaves.

*sigh* Her eyes and mind are closed. She could be a valuable asset, if she would but open them.

We have the key card, so we may as well see what she's storing.

We could have come here any time, but there was no reason to until we had the key. Vicki's stuff is in unit 102. The door closes behind us as we step inside.

You guys must think I'm stupid, don't you? Breaking into my apartment. Going through my stuff. I might not have a badge anymore, but I know a class B felony when I see one.

"Come on. Open the door."

Sure. I'll get right on that. Right after the cops get here.

"We still want to help you, Vicki. Don't do this."

You can help me by being good citizens and surrendering peacefully.

Then tell them everything you know.

This will not end well. Trust us.

Bullshit. There are laws. There are rules. You guys are... spitting on them.

Donny! You got my call. Thank Christ.

Hello, Vicki.

Christmas came early, baby brother. I got three perps in there. Gift-wrapped just for you. They're armed. So you should call for backup. Just make sure you get credit for the collar.

Um. Donny? You gonna move your rear end or what?

Donny? Donny! What the holy gently caress?

You were killed here. Unknown shooter. It was a tragedy. That's all it was.

Donny. No.

A tragedy. Just... a... tragedy...

Donny. This isn't you. Snap out of it!

Just... a...

poo poo. I don't want to do this, Donny!

Countless notes, files, and documents fill the room. Too bad there's no time to go through it all. The sign on the wall reads "NO SMOKING! Sprinkler system in effect!" The ceiling has several sprinkler valves embedded in it. A maintenance panel is embedded in the wall, held in place by a few screws. A large ventilation duct connects this unit to the next. Eli's eyes dart around the storage unit, searching for a hidden exit. Mandana's eyes remain calm, but her hands clench with impatience.

Once again Mandana is unable to open the door with her sword. She can't open the ventilation duct either. But we can open the maintenance panel with our butter knife.

The solution here is simply to connect the alarm trigger to the door open circuit and then have Eli produce a flame. I don't mind this puzzle as much as the previous ones, but it's not good. I mean, there's no way to open this door from the inside? That's a clear safety issue. And this panel is just really convenient given our resources and what we need to do. It's all very artificial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyQ8jAYEPuM

How did you...

Magic!

Whatever. Just stay back! You'll get yourself shot!

Oh ye of little faith.

Guns. So combustible. It's safe. You can all come out, now. You too, Vicki.

Is... is he okay?

<groan>

He'll be fine.

I... poo poo. What a mess.

"We're on your side, Vicki. Can you see that now?"

I... Yeah. I guess I can.

I... I'm sorry. You saved my life. Thank you. It's been... a long year, but that doesn't excuse anything. I was a Grade A jerk.

Your eyes are open to the truth, now. That is all we can hope for.

The truth. Right. Were you really possessed when you killed all those people?

"Yes. It wasn't me. It was... something else."

It was. Wasn't it? This is all crazy, but... I believe you.

So are you with us?

Someone brainwashed my brother to KILL me.

You don't mess with two Santinas and get away with it.

Vi... Vick...

Donny?

It... was Harrison.

Harrison? CAPTAIN Harrison? She told you to kill me?

How... why...?

It's okay, Donny. But you're sure? Joy Harrison? THAT Captain Harrison?

She said... meet her... on her boat... when it was done... Said... it was a tragedy... Just a tragedy.

Harrison, huh? Stay safe, Donny. Your sister has business to take care of. You guys coming with me, or what?

Um. Shouldn't someone stay here with Donny?

Someone should. Despite Eli's confidence, I'm not 100% convinced that the guy who just had a gun blow up in his hand is going to be fine. So do we want to leave Eli or Mandana behind to look after him?

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
leave Mandana. Eli can protect us from bullets and prevent people from shooting the bullets at the same time, she can't

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I think Eli is the guy to talk to for burn injuries. Especially ones that he caused.

Edit: Was the brick with the hidden stash not the one "under the Crazy"? Because that would make sense from an "escape room" hint.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 10, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fight fire with fire. And by fire I mean burns and by fire I mean uh

cauterisation

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Normally avoid point n click adventure games like the plague (in part because I suck at adventure game logic) but this lp is seriously making me consider buying this one, if only to check out the diferent backgrounds and how much they affect the plot.