Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Eli's growing on me, so leave Mandana behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Solitair posted:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Let's leave Mandana.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Solitair posted:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm clearly going against the goonmind here, but I vote leave Eli behind. He can clearly handle himself and will likely be more empathetic to poor Donny.

Spritz3
May 3, 2009
Donny said Captain Harrison would be on her boat. Leave Eli because I want a half-pirate half-genie at out back for this one.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Spritz3 posted:

Donny said Captain Harrison would be on her boat. Leave Eli because I want a half-pirate half-genie at out back for this one.

This makes sense. Sounds like a boat wouldn't be a place with a whole lot of fire, either (other than possibly guns). Let's be professional about this. Leave Eli.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Huh. Morino still went nuts and Vicki still got shot even in this origin. Weird.

Anyway, as you might imagine, seeing your old captain has a bit more dialogue when you're the cop. And there's a LOT of the player being relieved that Vicki actually survived the shooting, as well as Vicki really, really not trusting you.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Shei-kun posted:

I'm clearly going against the goonmind here, but I vote leave Eli behind. He can clearly handle himself and will likely be more empathetic to poor Donny.

I completely agree. Leave Eli behind

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spritz3 posted:

This is good logic, I think. Leave Eli.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

leave Eli

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sure, leave Eli.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Every brick on this wall has a unique descriptor (pitted, old, rough, red, etc.) which, along with the knife we just picked up, makes the solution to this puzzle pretty obvious - but again, only to someone who knows this is an adventure game. There is no reason for Paige, Eli or Mandana to suspect that one of these bricks is loose and conceals a hidden cache. There's no visible sign and no hint pointing to it that I'm aware of. But finding it is the key to moving on. I found the right brick by just clicking on each one in turn till I got it. It was the "tough old brick". Inside is a small blue keycard. A label on it reads: "J&M Storage: 102". Note: The key card is actually grey.

IMJack posted:

I think Eli is the guy to talk to for burn injuries. Especially ones that he caused.

Edit: Was the brick with the hidden stash not the one "under the Crazy"? Because that would make sense from an "escape room" hint.

I've played the game before. It is indeed the brick directly under the word "crazy".

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 10, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

IMJack posted:

Edit: Was the brick with the hidden stash not the one "under the Crazy"? Because that would make sense from an "escape room" hint.
That makes sense, I suppose. I never notice hints like that because I just don't expect them to be there. In the context of the story, who is that hint for? She's not going to forget it herself, and if she wanted someone else to be able to find the key she could just tell them where it was. Also, as a player, the thing that tells you you need to get into the storage unit is the key - you're not looking for a key before you find it, so the hint mentioning the word "key" doesn't really tip you off. Anyway, it's not like it's a difficult puzzle or anything, it's just that (for me) the puzzles, in general, are really the weakest part of the game.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Leave Eli.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Tiggum posted:

That makes sense, I suppose. I never notice hints like that because I just don't expect them to be there. In the context of the story, who is that hint for? She's not going to forget it herself, and if she wanted someone else to be able to find the key she could just tell them where it was. Also, as a player, the thing that tells you you need to get into the storage unit is the key - you're not looking for a key before you find it, so the hint mentioning the word "key" doesn't really tip you off. Anyway, it's not like it's a difficult puzzle or anything, it's just that (for me) the puzzles, in general, are really the weakest part of the game.

She might not forget it's under a brick but the clue makes it a lot easier to remember which brick it is so she doesn't have to chip away at every brick like you did (It's a lot more time-consuming in real life :cheeky:).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Leave Eli, M has amble boat based murder experience that can be used here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

leave Mandana. Eli can protect us from bullets and prevent people from shooting the bullets at the same time, she can't

The decision is made. Update some time tomorrow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"Mandana, stay here and watch him."

Very well. I will make sure he is safe.

... Right. Thanks. Let's go.

She's getting away. Move it!

Stop the boat, Harrison.

That's Captain Harrison. You Santinas. Never any respect.

gently caress respect. Stop the boat.

And the language. You get that from your father. Although your mother isn't much better.

Stop. The. loving. Boat.

Whatever you say. Just lower that gun.

She stops the boat.

There.

"You're behind the brainwashings? And the murders?"

Oh. It's you. You're the shooter from that bar in the Bronx. Aren't you? You've eluded us for months. I should be impressed. I can't exactly judge you. Not after everything that I've done.

"What exactly have you done?"

Nothing that matters much longer. He is coming.

Who is coming?

The General. I met him out here. On the water. He gave me this... power. To manipulate minds.

I used it to further my career. Convinced old Lapuda to take early retirement. I should have known there'd be a... price.

"What about all the murders?"

They weren't murdered! They were... conscripted. For the General, you see. He needs soldiers. His people can't fight on land, you see. He needs us for that. That was the deal. He gave me this power. I would send him... people. For his army.

People.

Yes. He would send them back eventually. In pieces, usually.

Pieces.

Then I would use my new power to... cover it up.

"You sacrificed people, then brainwashed the police to ignore it?"

Not just the police. Friends. Family. Anyone who would question that status quo. He gave me no choice.

He would have killed me otherwise.

But... it could have been worse. The General wanted hundreds. I only gave him a dozen!

Yeah, you're a fricking hero. You made me think I was crazy. You made EVERYONE think I was crazy.

So tell me, you gaslighting bitch. Why single me out?

I... don't know. I didn't want to, believe me. But I can't touch your mind. The General's power... you're immune.

I'm what?

It's because she's void-touched, isn't it? Your power won't work on her. Or us.

I knew that as soon as you walked into my station. I knew then I'd have to take... action.

You sent my brother to kill me.

I thought you'd leave, Vicki. That you'd just move away in shame after everyone shunned you. But no. You just dug in deeper. Instead of moving away, you moved down the block! Typical Santina. Like a dog with a bone. You. Just. Won't. Let. GO!

What the FU-

SILENCE! Summoner. You have returned at last. Do you intend to fulfill your promise to me?

"I'm sorry. You have me confused with someone else."

I admit. Something about you is... different. And yet, you have the same face. The same scent. The same voice. No. You are the summoner. You instructed me to bond with a human. One with ambition. And they would bring me an army. I have done so. And yet I still wait for an army worthy of the name. So I ask again. Where is my army, summoner? My people continue to get slaughtered by the hour!

"Whatever deal you made, it wasn't with me."

Lies. Why do you LIE? YOU are the one who summoned me here. YOU are the one who promised me an army. But you just toy with me? Why?

"I don't know! I was possessed at the time!"

You don't KNOW? You play with the lives of my people. And you don't KNOW?

Right. Enough of this.

She starts the boat.

There is only one outcome here, summoner. Your death! The blood of my people demands it!

The General is huge, fast, and covered in a layer of slime. Not to mention angry. Harrison's gaze remains fixed on the water. She avoids looking anyone in the eye. Vicki is calm. Almost stoic. Whatever happens next, she is ready for it. Eli is holding his ground. If he's nervous, he gives no sign. The boat's solid, metal flagpole looks pretty sturdy. The Staten Island flag flaps in the wind.

There's only one thing we can interact with here and it's the boat's console.

That's a bottle of spare fuel on the right. The boat controls work, but are of no use to us. We simply take the petrol and hurl it at the General, then have Eli ignite it. If you try to burn him without using the petrol it doesn't work due to his protective layer of slime.

What is this... STENCH?

urg... huff huff Was this your plan? I should have known. To bait me into battle. To fight me. To kill me.

"We never wanted to fight you."

Yes. I... I can see that. This world. I do not understand it.

Then understand this. You can go back to where you came from, or you become char broiled.

You give me the choice? You show me mercy?

You were given a bum deal. We get that. But no more people die. That's final.

I see. Very well. I accept your terms. I will leave and never return.

"What about Harrison's brainwashing abilities?"

Yeah. Good question.

Joy Harrison and I are bonded. She will share my power as long as... ...

Speak up. Can't hear you.

...as long as I am alive.

Right.

Right. The bond between you and Harrison. That ain't going away. You could - theoretically - come back whenever you want, right?

She is my anchor in this world, yes. But I have accepted your terms. I will, honor them.

Right. In that case, break the bond. That way there's no issue.

I cannot. It is permanent. It remains in place until either I die... ...or she does.

"What if you took Harrison back with you?"

Then her anchor will be in my world. I will be unable to return here.

And we'll be free of her brainwashing rear end.

What? You must be joking. I'm the INNOCENT one here.

Innocent? You accepted my offer. Quite eagerly, I might add.

Harrison is no innocent, but she's still human. She doesn't belong on your world.

She doesn't belong on THIS one either. Not after the crap she's pulled.

So... tell me what you wish. Joy Harrison would make a fine soldier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKh9b42K3wk

It seems a bit odd to me that Joy recognised us at this stage but not in the police station. It definitely seemed like the veil was working there, but it's clearly not now, and she must already have been void-touched ever since she got the General's mind-control power.

Three options this time. Do we kill the General to make sure he can never come back and to take Harrison's power away, banish Joy Harrison to fight and die on an alien world, or send the General home alone, risking the possibility of Joy continuing to use his power and/or the General returning?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Banish her. She knew full well what she was doing. gently caress her.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Banishment. She sent many there, it's only fitting that she follows.
Also she remains a risk if she stays.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Banish her. She knew full well what she was doing. gently caress her.
This, 100%. Out of all the choices we've had, this is the easiest.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Banish Joy

It solves multiple problems nicely. And leaving her with that power is leaving a lot of people at her mercy.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Humans manage human affairs, and besides we might need to talk to the general later about the summoning our demon did. We'll watch Harrison, send the general home alone.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Banish Joy. It is a fitting punishment.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I think we should banish Harrison. Killing the General would probably kill her as well, and I don't think there's a place to hold her back at the base.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think the choice here would be less one-sided if we felt that Joy was remotely remorseful about what she did. She just comes across really badly here

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Meh, kill the general and let Harrison live with what she did and her new lack of power

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Our heroine needs to find a way to explain that it wasn't her.
Maybe "I was just a puppet to a demon" Or: "My body was here, but I was not"

Banish, 2nd changes are for those that needs help. Hell, can the general stay, while we banish her, he can show himself somewhere public, and set up a recruitment station, I wouldn't be surprised if he found plenty of volunteers.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Fighting and dying on an alien world sounds a lot more exciting than working a minimum wage job until my knees give out and then spend the rest of my life watching my pension get gradually plundered by the government.

And the only requirement is 'able to live and move on ground'.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
since killing harrison herself directly is apparently not an option, let's do the next best thing and banish her so her untrained-in-alien-tactics rear end gets merced on day 1 of her war career

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Oh good, I was worried our forever war was in danger of ending. Silly me, it's merely being refined. After all, Staten Island is a lot closer than the Middle East, and invading Atlantistan is a great way to convert surplus poor people into magical power. And it's on the surface, so if they have weddings we can bomb those too.
Oh well, at least Call of Duty: Magical Warfare will probably be fun.

Banish both
Im surprised we don't get the option to execute Joy and send the General home.

Edit
Not wasting her here means she probably kicks off a coup and then invades at the end of the game for revenge.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Echoing the cries of banish her. She only killed a dozen or so people, guys! It could have been much worse! :fuckoff:

Incidentally, what happens if you leave Eli behind and bring Mandana? Can she do anything to light up Scaly here?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Black Robe posted:

Incidentally, what happens if you leave Eli behind and bring Mandana? Can she do anything to light up Scaly here?
Rather than using the petrol and a fireball you lower the flagpole, have Mandana climb along it, and stop the boat so she can stab him.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

An actual 'drive closer, I want to hit the enemy with my sword!' moment?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Send the General home alone, enough people have already died. No need to add more to the pile.

It's a shame we haven't found any more demons like the ones we accidentally summoned. Sending a demon army with the aquatic dude would be a pretty sweet compromise.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
We are in search of forgiveness ourselves, it wouldn't be right to withhold it from someone else.

Send the General home alone.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Banish Harrison on the principle of harm minimization. She's shown no signs that she'd stop abusing her power, and as we can't incarcerate her ourselves (there's no prison on Earth that could hold her) best to put her somewhere where she physically can't bother us any more.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Banish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Send the general home alone. We haven't killed anyone yet, there's no reason to start now.