Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

Like I said when she was introduced, best character in the game :D. I about cheered when I hit this part in the game and got rescued by her, wandering around with her was hysterical. And Release, things are NOT more important than lives Kevin.

It's hard to understand just how good she is if you don't play it yourself, because every time you click on a door to go to the next room and remember that you can't interact with doors, you will softly tell yourself "ugh, I'm a dumbass" while your character walks over to it, and then KayKay will say "uh, dumbass?" in the best way possible. :3:

This whole part of the game was my favorite for a good chunk, specifically because of KayKay. She was already my favorite character just from the house puzzle on its own, when I realized that it was KayKay who saved me during my playthrough I audibly said "oh gently caress yeah"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

thecluckmeme posted:

It's hard to understand just how good she is if you don't play it yourself, because every time you click on a door to go to the next room and remember that you can't interact with doors, you will softly tell yourself "ugh, I'm a dumbass" while your character walks over to it, and then KayKay will say "uh, dumbass?" in the best way possible. :3:
She goes through stages of amusement, frustration, anger, and

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Great advice ghost girl. Good advice :unsmith:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The best part is that's 100% believable because he's a recovered alcoholic who's a member of AA :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Yeah no, he was manipulated by a demon, but he's still being an entitled poo poo. gently caress this kid, release the dragon.
Decision locked in, next update will be... a day or two probably?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"I'm sorry, Kevin. Let the dragon go."

... Okay. OKAY.

Kevin Huang? I am still waiting.

You can go. I release you.

Thank you.

And the dragon simply fades away.

I... I'm sorry. I had to TRY. You understand? For mom and dad.

I understand. Family's important, but... this isn't the way.

Yeah. You're right. I get that. I... always did like this view. I thought I'd be looking at it forever. Okay. I'm ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qYqcWfiD8Q

Come on, kid. MOVE. I just want to get a bit of target practice in.

I don't see what the big deal is.

I can't shoot the target with KayKay in front of it. I might hit her.

You know bullets just go through her, right?

Yeah. But it's still weird.

If it doesn't bother her, I don't see why it should bother you.

Why's she so keen to be shot at, anyway?

She says it's fun.

Fun.

Different things are fun when you're dead.

Hey. Paige. KayKay couldn't stop talking about your little jailbreak last night.

Especially the part where you were sneaking around the men's locker room?

Hey I ain't judging. You did what had to be done.

"So what's going on in here?"

Oh. Mandana said I could use that target for practice. I was thinking of all the bad guys we've seen so far and figured I should brush up. Training here would be...easier than the ranges I usually go to. Too many cops asking me awkward questions. Course they also have fewer ghost kids trying to psych me out. So, you know, six of one.

Oh, KayKay's just messing with Vicki. That's all. I'd stop her, but it's not like I can make KayKay do anything.

Plus, it's nice to see KayKay mess with someone ELSE for a change.

Anyway, what's going on?

"Any thoughts on that last mission?"

So. Dragons exist. One day I might have to go toe-to-toe with a frigging dragon. I see why Mandana was always training so hard.

Speaking of Mandana. She's... kinda taking a break today. She's in the study. So we're giving her some space.

Kevin made his choice. And so did you. He'll be fine. Fifty thousand dollars buys a lot of "fine."

I kinda get where Kevin was coming from. Heck, cop family going back a century here. It's who we ARE. And being the broken link in that chain? It HURTS. Hurts like hell. It's like a hundred years of Santinas are cursing me. So Kevin... is angry. And bitter. He might not get over it anytime soon, but he'll be okay. Eventually.

"Can I ask you about KayKay, Logan?"

She says it's okay, so go ahead.

"Is she with you ALL the time?"

Yep. Pretty much all the time. She can't travel very far from me. Maybe a few hundred feet? Half a block at most.

So I couldn't shake her even if I wanted to. Not that I WOULD. She's good company.

"So it's not awkward having her around all the time?"

Nah. Like I said, KayKay's good company.

See? She just made a farting noise with her mouth. More fun than Sammy's on a Saturday night, lemme tell you.

"What about when you have, you know, company over? You used to be quite popular at Sammy's."

Jesus. You say that like it was a GOOD thing. I had no idea who or what I was going home with most nights. I'll tell you this, though. Since I got sober? "Company" hasn't been much of an issue for me. I just... haven't wanted to? I couldn't tell you why that is, any more than I could tell you why I hooked up so many times when I was drinking. So having KayKay around? It hasn't cramped my style.

At least... not in that way.

Oh hi. Sorry. I was a bit... distracted. What's on your mind?

"Is Mandana doing okay?"

Yeah. She's hanging in there. Just as I am.

"Any thoughts on our last mission?"

You know, my kids were around Kevin's age when I... left them. They turned out okay. But they at least had each other. Poor Kevin has nobody. Either way, he seems like a smart young man I'm sure he'll figure it out.

"I'll leave you to it."

Ah. You awaken. Eli told me much of what transpired last night. The veil placed on Kevin should hold for at least ten years. By then the police will have long since given up searching for him. I am not without sympathy for Kevin's plight, having... recently lost a parent myself. But torturing and potentially murdering that innocent creature was a step too far. It was the right choice to refuse him.

"So how are you... holding up?"

I admit that it has been... difficult, but I am managing. Hunting this demon helps. Eli told me that it gets easier, but never quite gets better. Perhaps he thought that was reassuring.

"Should we start a meeting?"

Yes. Eli said he had some information to share. It is time he did so.

You look... kinda tired, Eli. You okay?

I'm fine. Too much fire reading. Takes a lot out of you. Anyway. Information about Melkhiresa was carefully guarded. Even with fire reading, all I found were fragments.

But I did... learn a few things.

"Don't keep us in suspense."

Yeah. What are we dealing with, here? You said yesterday that is had something to do with knowledge?

Yes. Quite literally. From the bits I was able to pick up, the name "Melkhiresa" is synonymous with knowledge.

What does that mean? It... knows things? What kind of things?

"Well, it knew about the General's power, and how to exploit it. It knew about the Eddings house, and how to make them turn geist. It knew about Galene, and how to free her."

Indeed. It knew just where to strike, and who to strike against. Again and again. Only a creature with immense reserves of knowledge could achieve this.

"So Melkhiresa literally knows... everything?"

It appears to know more than WE do, for certain. It has a... decisive advantage.

"Knowledge is power?" My dad used to say that all the time.

A trite phrase, but in this instance? Quite true.

"If Melkhiresa is so smart, how did it let itself be exorcised?"

You're right. It should have known we were there. It should have known to avoid us. Or stop us.

You really think so? I mean, I've taken a few boxing lessons at the gym, but I wouldn't last two seconds in a real ring. Knowing things isn't the same as UNDERSTANDING them.

Truly spoken. This Melkhiresa is not all-knowing. Nor all-powerful. It is... important to remember this.

"So how do we stop it?"

I... don't really know. In the texts I read, nobody ever mentioned being possessed by Melkhiresa. They just... talked to it.

Talked to it?

Yeah. They'd summon it. Then ask it questions. Usually about dark magic. Or how to defeat an enemy. And... they had to pay in blood. Lots of it. People would die. Every single time. But... Melkhiresa was always correct. Every single time.

"Nobody was ever possessed by Melkhiresa before me?"

I didn't say that. I said there was no RECORD of it. So... maybe you're not the first?

"And what would this spirit of knowledge need with a pocket realm?"

I... don't know.

I only found accounts of people who used Melkhiresa for information. Nothing about Melkhiresa itself.

I guess when we find it, we can ask it.

"So... meeting adjourned, I guess?"

...yes. Meeting adjourned.

We still have two locations to check out, so it's time to pick our team and our next destination.
  1. As usual we must bring either Eli or Mandana (or both) so keep that in mind when making your selection.
  2. Our second teammate can be Logan, Vicki, Mandana or Eli. List your choices in order of preference.
  3. And we can choose to visit the vicinity of Hoyt-Schermerhorn station in Brooklyn or Bowling Green Station near Wall Street.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eli, Logan, Wall Street. Having an ex-accountant and an ex-alcoholic in our crew should mean we fit right in.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 15, 2020

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Mandana, Logan, Brooklyn. I'm glad Kevin didn't fight us on the dragon. Also KayKay and Logan are just :kimchi: together

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Eli, Logan, Wall Street. Having an ex-accountant and an ex-alcoholic in our crew should mean we fit right in.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

anilEhilated posted:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so the bartender origin connected you to logan and the cop origin connected you to vicki. what location and/or characters did the actor origin cover?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so the bartender origin connected you to logan and the cop origin connected you to vicki. what location and/or characters did the actor origin cover?

One we haven't seen yet. I'll point it out when we do.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Kitfox88 posted:

Mandana, Logan, Brooklyn. I'm glad Kevin didn't fight us on the dragon. Also KayKay and Logan are just :kimchi: together

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mandana, Vicki, Brookyln

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Mandana, Vicki, Brookyln

This is a very Brooklyn team. Let's take it

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

ultrafilter posted:

Mandana, Vicki, Brookyln
This would be really fun to see, so this is my vote.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

anilEhilated posted:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Eli, Vicki, Wall Street

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

ultrafilter posted:

Mandana, Vicki, Brookyln

I like this idea. We haven't hung around with Mandana in a little while, and Vicky is pretty great too. We can do the Eli, Logan, Wall Street option next. For now, I want to see Brooklyn.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Locked in. Update in a day or two.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Below the staircase is a thumb with a face. At least, we hope that's a thumb. Past that, the sign gives directions to a 'poetry slam' down a dark pathway under the subway bridge. A flashing walk sign gives crossing directions to an empty street. Across the street is the entrance to Prospect Park. Behind us, a worm with shades. Edgy. Colorful storefronts shine at us from down the block. Eli surveys the area, waiting patiently to hear our next move. Mandana looks relaxed and ready.

This place takes me back. Remember St Patty's Day? 1982?

I... wish I did not. There are still days my bottle smells like angry leprechaun.

Well, we had to put them somewhere.

"Are you familiar with this area, Eli?"

Gosh. So many memories of this place from back in the day. It's hard to choose just one. Matinee shows at the Kingsway, summers at Brighton beach... Heck, you could buy pickles right out of a barrel on any street corner. They cost a nickel. And they were delicious. And fireworks every Tuesday at Coney. Can't... forget that. No. Can't forget that.

"Anything you'd like to share?"

Just... old history. I met my wife at the Coney Island fireworks. We went every week that summer. Eh, forget it. It was literally a lifetime ago. Let's keep moving.

"Do you know anything about this area, Mandana?"

You may find it strange. When I think of this neighborhood, I am reminded of... cows.

"Brooklyn reminds you of cows?"

Yes. Cows. And sheep and horses. This area was pasture, long ago. Hundreds of acres of it. A dangerous place for a young girl to run and play. My father forbade me to come here.

So naturally I came whenever I could.

Then, of course, the war happened.

"Which war?"

The Revolutionary War. This area was home to the bloodiest battle of them all. Gunpowder smoke from cannons and muskets filled the air. Trenches criss-crossed the land. History says the American forces were driven off, but they do not mention the cows.

I missed them terribly.

"A bloody battle happened here... but you were concerned about the cows?"

Well SOMEONE had to be.

Apologies. I am aware of how cold that sounds. Back then, I was... very young. Still unsure of my place in the world. I spent most of my time alone. And my childhood playground had become a battleground.

So yes, I was concerned about the cows. Let us speak no more of this.

A majestic illustration of an angel graces this wall. The angel's hand reaches up to the sky. A sturdy iron drainpipe is bolted tightly to the wall. Whispered words escape from the dim interior of the poetry club.

A richly-upholstered red plush couch is discreetly placed in a dark corner. The performer is lost in her own little world. On the other side of the room, a half-empty cup of coffee is illuminated by a single flickering tea light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_RAvupOzeE

I travelled up the mountain of glass / To the man who looks down upon high. / But he sent me away. He gave me a pass. / So now I drink coffee and sigh

I saw a pink dog by the side of the road / He looked up and gave me a wink / Then I helplessly watched as I saw him explode / I may have been dreaming, I think?

The colors. The colors. Green, blue and red. / All mixed up within the same pot / I lifted it up and poured it on my head / A pleasant feeling? I think... not.

Over the sea I flew I flew / To the girl with the golden drum / She could not help me, I knew I knew / But flying is just so much fun

One fine day day day / I went to town town town / But I didn't stay stay stay / Cuz I ripped my gown gown gown

Over and under the seagull went / Searching for its next meal / It closed its eyes, for just a moment / Then it crashed... um... into a seal?

Well, I don't know if it's supernatural, but we definitely need to put a stop to this.

*sigh* Do you mind? Can't you see I'm...

Wait. Mandana? Is that you?

...Yes?

Wow. It's been awhile, huh?

... I... am unsure. Do I know you?

Um. Yeah? Don't you remember Havana? 1592?

I must be gee eyed. Calliope?

That's me.

You seem... changed.

Yeah. You could say that.

I'm gonna sit down. Come join me. We've got, like, a billion things to catch up on.

She sits at the table. Sweaty and tired but absolutely beaming.

That was... unexpected.

"So... who was that?"

An old friend. Of a sort. It... has been a long time.

That was Calliope. She is a muse.

Really? I've read lots of stories but never actually met one.

Muses are ancient creatures. They can tap into the creation energy of the universe. Very dangerous, when summoned. But Calliope seems... different. Changed. Not quite herself.

Had we chosen the actor background we would already have met Calliope and been well aware that she was dangerous and that she's not the same as she was.

I am eager to speak with her again.

Well then let's do so.

I still can't believe it. Of all the times, of all the places. You still with the Unavowed?

Yes. It is good to see you again.

Right back atcha. You haven't changed a bit.

That may be. But you have.

Yeah, you could say that. I lost my power!

...really.

Yup. Poof. Gone. I'm not a muse anymore.

How did that happen?

Some lady took it. Hey, you should order a cappuccino.

They draw these little heart shapes with the milk. It's AMAZING.

"I'm Paige Turner by the way."

Hiya. I'm Calliope. Although I mostly go by Calli these days.

"So you and Mandana know each other?"

You kidding? Back in Havana, she saved the entire colony!

All I did was cut a painting in half.

Yeah. A cursed painting. One that I inspired the artist to paint.

That was not your fault, Calliope.

Tell that to the soldiers who went insane after looking at it. The creative force is powerful when used by people who don't understand it. I'm glad I'm done with it.

"So what are you doing here?"

It's open mic night. I'm open mic-ing. Been spending all my time taking in the local art scenes. This is my way of... giving back.

"You're... giving back?"

Giving back to the creative force. Trying to... balance the scales. I'm not really good at it, but the point is to try.

And freeform poetry is FUN!

Stick around if you want to hear more poems.

For some reason, fewer people come here than they used to. So I've the place to myself.

We'll leave her to drink her coffee in peace for the moment and head back outside.

How odd. Calliope seemed so... joyful.

And this is a problem?

It is not a problem. It is merely different. She does not act like the Calliope I knew.

It's been centuries, Mandana. People change.

Perhaps. But still. It is good to see her again.

"Did you know Calli well, Mandana?"

That is a... difficult question to answer truthfully. I knew her. For a time. And we were close. For a time.

I remember her being... distant. And sad. And often quite brilliant. I am glad she found happiness.

"Some lady" took Calliope's powers? Sounds like our demon.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s interesting she didn’t recognize the PC assuming it was the demon that did the deed. Can someone fill in on the actor start and how our new friend plays into it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I... I'm sorry about Kalash. For what it's worth, I miss him too.

He died as he lived. Defending this city.

Come on. He was your father. It's okay to mourn him.

I have shed enough tears. I will finish what he started.

Well, I've got your back. You know that.

I know it. And I am grateful for it.

Prospect Park is just across the road. We'll go there next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S2bwC0bRyQ

A small bandshell is nestled slightly inside the park. A little girl draws with chalk under a sheltering tree. A young woman watches her child with a smile on her face. The art is very promising, especially considering the age of the artist.

Looking good there, Junie.

No. It's not right yet.

Of course it isn't.

"Hi. I'm Paige Turner. This is Mandana and Eli."

Hey. Nice to meetcha. I'm May Stein.

Nice to see I'm not the only crazy one out here tonight.

"We're not out here by choice, believe me."

Neither am I.

I'm only out here because the little boss here wants to draw.

A boss who makes you do overtime and doesn't pay you.

See? This guy gets it. You have kids?

Oh. Um. Yeah. Two girls. Grown now.

TWO bosses, huh? Must've been rough.

It... had its moments.

"Why is she drawing in the rain?"

Little June here got inspired. What can I say?

I tell her no and she screams all night. So I give her half an hour and we're both happy.

Besides. She has a talent. I need to encourage it. Nobody else is gonna.

She's a lucky little girl. You're a good mother.

Darn right I am.

"How long have you been out here?"

It's been... two hours, I think. ... I'm sure June will get tired any minute.

"Couldn't she use a pen and paper?"

Hah. Yeah, like that'll work.

I know, right? A pen and paper would be, you know, LOGICAL.

And kids ALWAYS listen to logic.

Pff. Don't get me started.

"Hi there. I'm Paige Turner."

Junie. Answer the lady.

Hi.

"What're you drawing?"

Dunno. It's not finished yet.

"The chalk won't last long in the rain."

I know. That's what makes it good.

I took pictures. Don't worry.

*sigh*

What?

Nothing. You don't get it. It's OK.

"Wouldn't you rather draw inside?"

No. This is better.

Better?

YES.

"See you around."

See you 'round. If you guys want to do any more chatting in the rain, feel free.

Bye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcooXDVHxZM

An imposing steel scultpure. You can see a piece of leather caught on a jagged piece of metal. There are some big name bands playing here in summer. But for now, it's empty.

You have called, and I have answered. But... I feel no creative desire within your soul. Inspiration will not help you.

"You misunderstand. I want to help YOU."

Help... me? I don't understand. I don't require anything. Now what do you want?

"Me? No. I have something for you."

What do you mean? Stay back!

Was that... yes. That was Calliope. It could be no one else.

The lady from the poetry club? They sound like different people.

I am positive. It was Calliope. The way she USED to be. You have recovered? Good. Let us move forward.

The scrap of leather look like the cover of a book. We also took a thin metal stick from the metal sculpture.

The leather appears burnt. Quite severely.

Oh. BURNT. Is that all?

The spoilered image contains a sketch of a naked woman.

This looks like a sketchbook. Whoever this belonged to, they drew the same two people over and over again.

Two people?

A woman and child. I think it's the same pair we saw outside the park.

... I see. I only hope the artist's intentions were benign.

Since we don't have Logan and KayKay with us there's nothing more we can do here.

Don't you think it's time we head home, Junebug?

Five more minutes!

*Sigh* Fine. Five more minutes.

"Hey June. Did anything... happen by the Park ampitheatre?"

It was some kind of performance art, wasn't it? Someone put together an altar in the middle of the night and then "lit themselves on fire."

"Someone lit themselves on fire? You seem rather calm about that."

Well it wasn't real, was it? I mean, it COULDN'T have been. They did it in the middle of the night where nobody could see it. If you're gonna make a spectacle, you want people to SEE it. That's what everyone's saying anyway. Someone put it all together as some kind of statement.

"What kind of statement?"

You know, before June was born I might have been able to tell you.

But these days? I leave the art critique to the people wore time on their hands.

"We found this book with drawings of you in it..."

You have this book?

Er. Well, no. Not exactly. But we've seen it.

Who gave it to you?

I, um, don't know his name, exactly...

Then I, um, don't know what you're talking about.

Well, that appears to be a dead end.

Eli, I must... apologize to you.

Huh? What for?

My father's passing. I am having... difficulty processing it.

You don't need to apologize for that.

No. That is not it. Half-a-century ago, your daughters also lost their father. It was necessary, but I did not show much sympathy. I... know better now. I am sorry, Eli. More than I can possibly say.

... It was what it was. And I never blamed you for that.

Hey... I didn't notice this before, but are you a Fire Mage?

Um. Yeah. Why?

I knew it. You ever hear of Aldin? He was a Fire Mage too.

Yeah. I heard of him. He was my great-grandfather.

Oh. You look exactly like him!

Oh. I hope you are nicer than he was.

I'd... like to think I am.

Oh. Phew. Was gonna say. Cuz he was kinda... evil-ish. You know?

Yeah. I know.

What's up?

"You knew Eli's great-grandfather?"

Not personally, but I was summoned by the survivor of a village he destroyed. He wanted to write of his experience. As a warning to others. But he was... scared. He couldn't muster up the inspiration to start writing.

And you helped with that?

Yeah. Kinda.

Kinda?

He kept reliving the murder of his family over and over in his mind. And in the end, he threw himself into the sea.

Jesus.

It happens. The creative force can destroy some people. I'm glad I'm done with it.

"Do you know anything about the sculpture in the park?

I saw it. So full of anguish. I could feel the desperation pouring from every rivet and nail.

"Anguish?"

Yeah. Muse, remember? I can sense these things.

I thought you lost your powers?

So? If you lost the ability to fight, you'd still know HOW to fight, right?

That is... true.

Same with me. I know how art works. I know what feelings went into them. And that sculpture? None of those feelings were nice.

"So you can 'read' works of art?

Anything that was created by anybody else. It leaves an... imprint. I can still see them.

"I think I'm the one who took your power away."

You did? Hmm. You don't LOOK like the lady I met. She was about your height, had your hair color, and had kind of your build...

But nope. Definitely wasn't you.

She is wearing a veil, Calliope. If you cannot see past it... then you really ARE mundane.

Yep. I'm mundane as mud!

But if it was really you... then I suppose I have you to thank.

"Don't worry. We'll try to get your power back."

For real? You did me a favor. Three thousand years and I never once enjoyed a THING.

Not a song. Not a poem. Not a story. Not even food. I could inspire them all. But they did nothing for me.

I can't even remember the last time I smiled. I... kinda like the feeling. I think I'm gonna do it a lot.

So keep my power. You took it. You keep it. I'm happy where I am.

"You really don't want your power back?"

Nope. Please stop asking that.

We can show her the metal stick from the sculpture.

This is from the park sculpture. I'd recognize that sense of desperation anywhere.

Please. Take it away. I don't like feeling that way.

We've got one more place to visit in this neighbourhood.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 27, 2020

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's going to be sad when we have to eventually stop Calliope, or give her her proper powers back. It's inevitable that her corrupted state is related to that guy setting himself on fire and the little girl drawing with chalk in the rain. Big, grandiose artistic gestures that no one sees, but are invariably self-destructive. The little girl has apparently already been in the rain for 2.5 hours, and the guy kind of killed himself after all.... As well as Calliope's poetry into an empty bar.

Calliope honestly seems happier this way. So it's a pity that we'll probably make her sad in fixing it.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Okay, so the little girl wants her chalk drawing to wash away quickly, as that adds depth to her art. Sure. But my question is... how does she get the chalk to draw AT ALL when wet? My experience is that even slightly damp chalk won't make a mark anywhere.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Colorful cartoon characters invite us into the bakery. The psychedelic mural is so colorful we're almost going cross-eyed by looking at it. An old man sits under an awning, watching the passersby.

Good evening to you. You folks seem to be... lost. Maybe I can help?

"Lost?"

Yes. It is quite obvious, from the look of it. You are walking the streets in the rain. And yet you stop to talk to an old man at the side of the road. Nobody with a destination in mind would do that.

That was... well-deduced.

Nah. I just... read people. It's the old artist in me, I suppose.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Paige Turner. This is Mandana and Eli."

Pleasure. Welcome to the neighborhood. I'm Stanley Bates.

"Nasty night to be out."

For you, perhaps. I'm quite cozy here. And you meet the most interesting people in the rain. Folks like yourself, for example.

"So you can help us... find direction?"

I'm just an old artist watching the world go by. I doubt I'd be any help to you. But if you'd like to stop awhile and talk? I wouldn't say no.

"What kind of artist are you?"

Me? Oh, I was a painter. Past tense, I'm afraid. My muse has long since left me. So now I sit here and talk to fine folks like you.

"Do you know what happened by the park ampitheatre?"

You mean the sculpture that was erected in the middle of the night? Magnificent, isn't it? Art that just... APPEARS. For seemingly no reason. That kind of thing just doesn't happen anymore. It does this old heart good to see it.

"What do you think the sculpture means?"

I... don't know. To tell you the truth, I have not given it much thought. But the... energy it brings. The vibrant LIFE. This world can use more of that, let me tell you.

"See you around."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RChtRhsfDGA

Looks like someone crossed a novelty margarita with a bread roll. The cop looks tired but satisfied. Enjoying some quiet respite after a long day. The smell of freshly-baked bread wafts out from the small kitchen. A small cash register sits on a clean counter. There's a messily stacked pile of little white coffee cups in the back. The baker barely registers our presence.

Got some wet ones here, Chipman!

Huh? Oh. Hey. Welcome and... stuff.

Jesus, Chipman. Wasn't for me, you wouldn't sell anything.

Huh. Oh. Hey. You want something? I'm kind of busy.

"You okay? You look kind of tired."

I'm fine. Why does everyone keep asking me that?

Hey, Chipman! You got paying customers. You wanna stay open or what?

Fine fine fine. Sorry.

I swear to God. You'd be on the street if it weren't for me.

I get it! Yeesh. Anyway, what can I do for you guys?

"Seriously. Are you okay? You look exhausted."

I'm FINE. I'm working. What else can a guy want?

"Do you have anything that's not... psychadelic?"

*sigh* Nobody gets it. This is just the way it has to be, okay? Take it or leave it.

"I'll take a rainbow bagel."

Sure. Here you go. That'll be five dollars. Just eat it slow, okay? And... THINK about it. While you eat it.

Evenin' folks.

"Did anyone die by the Prospect Park ampitheatre?"

Seriously? Where have YOU been? Some idiot set himself on fire. Built some weird metal altar to do it on, too. The weird thing? He did it in the middle of the night. No witnesses. Some poor jogger found him the next morning.

"That's AWFUL. It must have the folks around here spooked."

Spooked? You don't know this neighborhood.

No. They're FASCINATED. He's like... some kind of local folk hero now.

Folk hero?

Yeah. The folks who live here? They think it's some kind of... I dunno. Artistic statement of whatever. But you ask me? He was just a nut.

"How was it an artistic statement?"

I dunno. What else could it be? This frigging neighborhood. Draws 'em in like flies on honey.

Draws what in?

ARTISTS! They've been coming out of the woodwork. Causing all sorts of trouble.

Forget the drug dealers. It's the artists you gotta worry about.

"Are artists really that bad?"

You have NO idea. Just last week, in this very spot, I had to drag some guy out in cuffs. It was this writer on his laptop. His battery ran out of juice, so he freaked. Smashed his laptop against the table. Then he started punching people. I wish I could say it was an isolated incident, but it's been happening all over the neighborhood.

"Thanks. See you around."

Stay dry out there.

Colored bagels. Flavored bagels. Scooped out bagels with weird filling. Whatever happened to just buying a plain old bagel?

They smelled... delicious.

That's... totally besides the point.

Remember that Calliope told us that "anything that was created by anybody else ... leaves an... imprint", so we can go back and give her this bagel we bought to see if she has any insight.

Ooh. Was this made by Clay Chipman? I've been meaning to go to his shop. May I...?

... Omgrd ths ss ss grd.

*burp*

Excuse me.

That was... strange.

This bagel... wasn't made by Clay Chipman. Not entirely.

Are you positive? We watched him bake it.

No. His HANDS made it. But the process. It was inspired by....

By... me? That's impossible.

"How did you inspire Clay? I thought you lost your power?"

I DID. And I've never met the guy.

But that bagel tasted like my own power. I had it for over three thousand years. It couldn't be anything else.

So your power now belongs to Clay Chipman?

No. Muses can't create, remember? He was inspired by someone WITH my power. ... Oh well. Good luck to whoever it is. I don't want it anyway.

The angel's hand reaches up to the sky. Mandana's pretty athletic. Let's see if she can climb that drainpipe, walk across that ledge and see if there's anything to see up there.

On closer inspection, there is a small crack in the wall here. The hand of the angel, indeed.

The sword is too big but that metal stick we took from the sculpture is much smaller.

Hm. It appears to be some sort of... jewelry. In the form of a horse.

"AF" are the same initials as on the burnt book, and "MS" could stand for "May Stein", the woman from the park...

How bout I take a picture of this to show your Dad?

No. It's not right yet. Just five more minutes!

Okay. Okay. For real this time.

Hey.

"Does this horse charm belong to you?"

Never seen it before.

That is... a falsehood. Your initials are inscribed on the charm.

You calling me a liar?

Yes.

Sweetie? Momma's going to step over there for a minute. You stay here, okay?

poo poo. Goddammit.

Hey. Um. You all right?

Do I look all right? Take that stupid thing back to him. I don't want it. I don't want HIM.

You misunderstand. He did not give this to us. It was... hidden. Enchrined, one might say.

Enshrined. Of course it loving was. Nobody does creepy like Amos Fennel. Does he worship it? Pray to it?

We honestly don't know. We just know something weird is going on. And your friend might be in the center of it.

He scares me. He's... not right in the head. To be honest, I think... he's the guy who burned himself in the park.

You do?

I didn't think it was real. It was easy to pretend it wasn't, but...

It's a pure Amos Fennel move. It's EXACTLY like him, to do something like that.

"It's exactly like him to set himself on fire?"

No. To make a big idiotic statement. And scare the hell out of me at the same time.

I suppose he's gone now. That's... good. I guess.

I know it's hard, especially in front of the kid, but we need to know everything you can tell us.

Fine. I guess. It doesn't matter now, does it? Amos used to be... a good guy. An artist. Creative. Really really funny. June loved him.

But then he moved in with us. And then he started getting... obsessive.

Obsessive. Not in a devoted husband and father way, I imagine.

...no.

He started drawing pictures of us. It was sweet at first, but he... wouldn't stop.

Every scrap of paper. Every surface. The walls, the floor. Everything.

I blamed that teacher of his.

Teacher?

Yeah. Old Stan Bates around the block. Amos was FINE before he started taking lessons with him. I mean, how crazy is it to draw obsessively and never stop for a break?

"HOW long has your kid been out here, again?"

A few hours. Why?

Oh. Look. I don't like that tone. June is FINE. She isn't... like him.

Now if you'll excuse me...

Time to go talk to Stan Bates again, I think.

"I heard lots of artists are moving into the area."

Yes. I've seen it. This neighborhood used to house quite a... vibrant community of artists. They're all gone now. They got priced out, or they go kicked out, or they died out. I thought I'd be the only one left. But now? Look around. The REAL heart and soul of Brooklyn is coming back. And it's magnificent.

"A man set himself on fire. On the park sculpture."

I heard. Fasincating.

"Fascinating." A... curious choice of words.

Well, it is. Why there? Why in the middle of the night? The act of immolation is... violent. Painful. One doesn't do that to themselves unless they want to make a statement. And yet... it was done in the middle of the night. Nobody could see or hear him. So yes, I'd call it fascinating. What was the man trying to say? We will never know.

"What kind of 'statement' does setting yourself on fire make?"

As I said, we will never know. The man was... inspired. We never know where it comes from. Or why it comes. It just IS. And that's all we can say about any artistic act. It just is.

"Does the name 'Amos Fennel' mean anything to you?"

Amos Fennel... no. Doesn't ring a bell.

He's the guy who set fire to himself in the park.

I see. No. I have not heard of him.

"Amos Fennel was a student of yours."

A student...? I am no teacher. Who told you this?

May Stein? She used to date Amos.

Wait. That name sounds familiar. She has a young daughter? Budding little artist type?

That's right.

Aha. Now I remember. Amos, eh? He gave me a different name when he came to see me.

"What can you tell us about Amos?"

What is there to tell? Like many young artists, he was struggling. Trying to find inspiration. So he would come and speak to me. He spoke about his lover. He was quite smitten. I encouraged him to channel that love. We later spoke of his heartbreak after they separated. I encouraged him to channel that as well. I... hope I did some good.

I know what fire can do to people. There's nothing "good" about it.

He channeled his feelings into a work of ART. How many can say the same? I call that a triumph. This neighborhood needs more of that.

"Setting yourself on fire is a triumph?"

Well, what would you call it?

The man was obviously... disturbed. Nobody in their right mind would do something like that.

I would hardly consider it a call for celebration.

Perhaps you are both correct. Perhaps it doesn't matter. Art speaks different words to different people. And the art of Amos spoke louder than most.

"You said you knew May and her daughter?"

I know the child. She walks down this block on her way home from school. She's shown me some of her pictures. Quite a budding talent. I'm happy to encourage her.

"Have you spoken to the baker next door?"

You mean Clay Chipman? I see him every morning. His shop is not exactly out of my way. He feels... frustrated. Often. He desires to say something, but all he knows is baking. But as I always tell him: sometimes the artist doesn't choose the medium. The medium chooses you.

"So who else have you taught?"

Anyone who chooses to speak with me. I am usually here in this spot. I am always willing to chat.

"We know what's been done to you. You've become a muse."

I'm a... what?

I should have seen it. We ALL should have seen it.

What are you TALKING about?

The neighborhood. All the extreme bursts of creativity. It all centers around you.

Me? I'm... nobody. Just a washed up artist. My muse has left.

Of course you don't have a muse. You ARE a muse.

... Are you insane? Or am I?

"It's my fault. Kind of. It's complicated."

Complicated things are often quite simple.

The reverse is often true as well. But perhaps we should discuss this off the street.

Yes. Of course. Please. Come in. You must be soaking.

Well. Here we are. Is... something the matter?

"Your home is rather... sparse."

Is it? I hadn't noticed. I admit, as I've gotten older, I have enjoyed life's little pleasures less and less. So I have sold a few things. Things that I no longer need.

Yes. A muse can inspire art, but cannot appreciate it.

... I see. I understand. I admit I have been feeling... different. I just thought I was getting old.

Don't worry. We can fix this. It's kind of our thing.

Wait. You want to... cure me?

"That's the plan."

So you are making the decision for me. How magnanimous. Have you considered I don't want to be part of this plan? Sure, I get no pleasure from a painting. Or a book. Or even food. But giving artists inspiration? Artists like Amos? Like June? Like Clay? That gives me immense satisfaction.

Amos KILLED himself. June and Clay are working themselves to death! Whatever power you have, it's out of control.

Their deaths carry more meaning than their lives ever will. For YEARS I've seen this city turn its collective back on the art community. Replacing us with bland corporate chains! Now we can reverse it. Go back to the way things were. And you want to STOP it? I don't believe you want that. You CAN'T want that. Let me prove it to you.

We see first Eli and then Mandana collapse but before we have time to react we're also unconscious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4xYO_1JRno

I... have a simple question for you. May I ask it?

"No. I'm not answering anything."

I... can't let you go until you answer my question. I am sorry. I need to prove to you that... I can do this. Please? May I ask my question?

"What is this place?"

I have connected you to the creative energy of the universe. I think... I always knew it was there. But I'm... more aware of it now. Thanks to you. Now. May I ask you my question?

"Where are you?"

I am here. I am part of the creative force that surrounds you. Now please. I ave answered your questions. Will you answer mine?

"What do you want to know?"

Thank you. My question is simple. What are you feeling? Right now?

"I am feeling angry."

Yes. You do seem slightly... tetchy. Could I ask why?

"I'm angry at YOU!"

Angry at me? You barely know me. Your anger comes much too quick to be directed at me. Anger can be a powerful source of energy, but you need to channel it. You cannot let it control you. You must dig deep! Connect with it. Bring it to the surface! This is the power of the creative force. It is the greatest gift we as humans are given. But... it must be used. If ignored, it could do unimaginable harm...

"???"

We don't remember drawing this. Looking at it sets our teeth on edge.

Two orbs are daubed on the wall - apart, different, never touching. Mandana holds a spraycan. Her eyes are locked on the orbs painted on the wall.

Split. Everything is... split.

A bleak charcoal sketch of a staring eye. Eli is holding a spraycan. Small scorchmarks have bloomed where his fingers touch it.

His eyes are on me. His eyes are always on me.

There also seems to be something going on in the bakery...

The cop looks tired and defeated. Poor guy. The baker barely registers our presence.

You don't understand. I almost had it PERFECT!

You almost had yourself DEAD. You idiot.

Oh it's you. You... probably shouldn't be in here. I think this place is gonna be closed for the foreseeable future.

Closed? No! You can't do that!

"What happened?"

Chipman's finally lost it. I should've seen it. You know a guy for years, you should know when something's wrong.

Nothing was WRONG. Everything was so right!

You cut open your wrist and you were BLEEDING into your mixing bowl!

I needed to put more of myself into my work! It was the only way!

I... I just don't have an answer o that, Clay. I don't.

"I'm sorry."

Jesus. Don't be. It's my fault. It was obvious he was sick in the head. Clear as day. He needs help. Help that I can't give him.

So you're sending me to the mental ward?

Only for 72 hours. That's what the law will let me do.

I thought you were my friend!

I am, Clay. I am.

Look, you'd better go. This... isn't gonna be pretty.

Junie? Sweetie? You've... worn that chalk down to a nub.

No. I can do it.

I think it's time we-

I can do it!

Okay. You can do it. Just... be careful. Junebug? You're scaring me..

It's fine. Go home. I'll be fine.

I'm not leaving you on the street.

Okay.

Cali sits at her table. She looks positively exhausted.

Oh, it's... you. Sorry if I don't get up. I'm a little... ...out of breath.

"Are you all right?"

Me? I'm... fine. Just a little... winded is all. By the way...

Where's Mandana? And the Fire Mage?

I thought you Unavowed types worked in a team.

"You don't look well, Calli."

I'm just, like, a bit tired. Okay? I overdid it.

I'm not exactly used to being... mortal.

"Well, we got whammied by the muse who has your power."

Heh. Whammied. I like that word.

Wait. Why did you summon a muse in the first place?

"We didn't summon him. He forced himself on us!"

He forced the creative energy ON you? That's insane! You're lucky to be alive. You can't just force someone to create. You have to be READY. If not, you'll burn out.

Your friends. Where are they?

"Stan Bates's house. They are in some kind of trance."

A trance. That can't be good.

Take me to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC82KKGqddc

Mandana? Mandana! ... I've never seen the muse's power abused like this. Stanley Bates has NO idea what he is doing. The creative energy... her mind is overflowing with it. She's going to die. And soon.

"What did Stan do?"

It's as you said. He's forced the creative energy into your minds. She is buried deep. Struggling to connect with a deeper part of herself. One that she can express through art.

"And this is killing them?"

It's being FORCED upon them. You can't change people through force. The subject has to be WILLING. They have to be ready to confront whatever is inside.

Your friends aren't. And unless we help them with that, they will die.

"Can you help them?"

Me? No. My power is gone. I can't do much.

I'm a bit useless here, but you're kinda not.

You Unavowed guys. You have a link, right? Something connecting you? You can use that. Try and connect to your friend. See if you can help.

"How do I do that?"

It shouldn't be hard. Mandana is in a... heightened mental state at the moment. Connecting to her mind won't be hard, if you focus. Just touch her on the head, and, well, THINK about her.

"OK. I'll give it a try."

Your friend is going to be vulnerable. Scared. Confused. So... be gentle.

Good luck.

A battle-scarred woman with fierce red hair. You can't tell if she's smiling or scowling. Kalash - or some subconscious projection of him? - is staring at Mandana with a disapproving look. Mandana's eyes jerk rapidly between the two figures.

I am immortal. Like a jinn. I abhor falsehood. Like a jinn. I feel love as humans do. I bleed, as humans do. Jinn and human. I discard one for the other as it suits me. Donning them like costumes. But... which one is me? Do I follow my mother? Or my father?

"Why can't you follow both?"

Because it gives me PAIN. Torn between worlds. The uncertainty of where I belong. It... hurts.

"You seem human to me, Mandana. You always have."

Yes. I SEEM human. I have... thoughts and emotions that seem humans.

I have shared laughter with human friends. Gained knowledge from human teachers. Shared hearts with human lovers.

They all grow old. They all die. None of them understand. Even mother. I can never be one of them. Not entirely. There will always be... distance.

"Well, you are your father's daughter. That much is obvious."

I cannot stomach the presence of other Jinn. So cold. So calculating. So proud of their wordplay.

The other Jinn children would tell riddles. I would escape into the forest to run and jump. Alone. Father tried to understand. He tried to... help. But he could not. How could he?

"I will get back to you on that."

It does not matter.

Aye, girl?

"You're Mandana's mother. I've heard a bit about you."

A BIT? A sham, that is. Time's swallowed me. Got me bate, like. Happens to us all, like, if ya don't be dog wild.

"I... can't understand a word you're saying."

Acting the maggot, you are. Don't be having a lash off with me. Me babby's getting bate, like.

"Mandana's in danger. We need to get her out of here."

Danger? Ech. Cheek! Take that back or I'll claim ya! Mandana's a solid she-devil like her mam. She's just a bit banjanxed, like.

"What are you doing here?"

Ain't doing a gatch, I'll tell ya that for a sack of poppies.

"How can I help?"

You think yer sham-feen? Then get the young wan to see the light. She's just lost her sea-legs, like. Just needs a push.

"Mandana says there's a distance between you."

Distance? That's a nawful thing to say, like. She'd not know the arse end of a blade if it weren't for me.

Perhaps YOU can talk some sense into my daughter?

"Kalash. It is good to see you again."

Good to see me? I'm not actually here. You know this. I'm not real.

"You know you're not real?"

A jinn is incapable of lying. Even in this place. I know who I am. I know what I am. It is time Mandana did the same.

"We need to get Mandana out of here. She's in danger."

She merely needs to make a choice. I am sure she will make the right one.

"What are you doing here?"

I am here to remind my daughter who she is. A jinn of the old kingdom, and a servant of the Unavowed. Like her father.

"What can I do to help?"

Help? No. This is a choice she must make on her own.

"Mandana believes you never truly understood her."

She is torn between two worlds. I understand this. Her human side made her less prone to introspection. Made her impatient. Hotheaded. Her spiritual side enhanced her physical body. Making her quicker. Stronger. Together it was a lethal combination. So it was up to me to channel her. Hone her into a force for good, instead of destruction. I... did the best I could. What father could do more?

Father... or mother...? To which world do I belong?

"Your mother said she taught you how to fight."

Yes. Mother taught me how to fight. Just like her. Although, if I am honest, I was BETTER than her.

Not that I would show it in front of her crew. She would have gone mad as a box of frogs.

"Your father said he tried to make you a force for good."

Yes. Father always told me such. Being part human, I cared too deeply. I... needed direction. Father and the Unavowed provided that.

"Maybe you are something new, Mandana."

Something new? Whatever do you mean?

"Both sides are what make you who you are."

Could it be... without both sides... human and jinn... I would not be myself? If I were not human, I would not care enough to join the fight. But if I were not jinn, I would not be strong enough to fight in the first place. Not in any way that matters.

I am both... and yet neither. Something new.

A new path entirely...

Something new from both worlds...

... What happened? Where is Stan Bates?

He whammied you!

...whammied?

Doesn't matter. Are you okay?

I feel... good. Exhausted, but... good.

I think I... need to sit down. Just for a few minutes.

Eli stares at the woman. Deep lines creasing his forehead.

I can't forget. I can't forget. If I forget that, I lose everything.

"Forget what?"

Forget what I am. Forget that I'm... human. My wife. Donna. You've seen her picture? It's in my lab.

The picture... helps, but it's not enough. It's old. It's grainy. It's black and white. It's been over sixty years. I'm forgetting.

Her eyes. I don't remember the color of her eyes.

"Why are her eyes so important?"

You don't have a family, do you? You wouldn't ask that if you did. Do you want to know what family does? It makes you better. It makes you WANT to do better. Everything I did. Everything I was. I do because of them. Once I forget her eyes, then I forget her face. Then I forget Gloria. And Julie. Then... I'll forget myself. I forget I ever cared about anyone. And when there's nothing left?

I become HIM.

"You mean Aldin."

YES. Yes I mean Aldin. I'm not going to turn into that. I'd rather die.

If I can't remember her eyes... I SHOULD die. Why can't I remember?

"I've listened to many sad stories at the bar, but most of the time? They are just missing what's really important."

What do you mean? Her eyes aren't important?

... You're... you're right. The eyes are just the surface, aren't they? The eyes are the window to the soul, so it's said. And that? THAT I remember. Her light. So warm. So... bright. All for me. So fierce. So protective. The way she'd gaze over our children. The connection she shared with them. Like a secret only they knew. One color... doesn't do it justice...

Huh? What... what just happened?

Hey! You did it!

Did... what?

That... eye. It's everything. You could get lost in it. I... sorry. My head. It's...

I thought I heard you up here. What happened?

I was just asking the same thing.

You both almost died! Calli and I saved you.

Died?

Stan hit you both with the creative force. It almost burned you up.

He used creative energy on a FIRE MAGE? I could have burned the whole block down!

But it was worth it, wouldn't you say?

Do you see it now? Do you see what I can offer? This whole neighborhood? The whole world?

"You nearly killed Mandana and Eli!"

But I DIDN'T. They are more alive then ever. You and your friends? You just received a deep, clear understanding of your deepest selves.

You're swinging the creative force around like a sledgehammer! You could have killed them.

Nothing great is achieved without risk.

Oh my GOD. My power's in the hands of a total IDIOT. Seriously. You all need to kill him. Kill him now. Before he kills someone else.

I beg your pardon?

You heard me!

"I agree he needs to be punished but..."

I agree he should be stopped, but killed? Is that really necessary?

We do not have the resources to restrain a muse. Pragmatism is called for, here.

This is insanity! Don't I have a say in this? I have been given this tremendous gift, and you don't want it to be used? I don't understand.

No DUH you don't understand. That's the problem!

If I used my gift... improperly... then I am sorry. I can learn!

It's too late for that.

So? How is this going to go?

"Can't you teach him how to use the power properly, Calli?"

No. I can't.

You're not lying, are you?

Nope.

I'm not so old that I can't be taught.

I'm not being cute. I really can't. Creative energy runs on... instinct. Emotion. FEELINGS. You can't teach that.

You must have learned somehow, didn't you?

I was given the power at a young age. I grew up with it. You didn't.

So.... I'm sorry. It can't be done.

"If only I could remember how I put the power IN him. Maybe then I could pull it out again."

Actually.. that's not a bad idea. Calli, this power came from YOU, right? It's part of you.

Yeah. So?

So you should be able to pull it back into yourself. If you focus hard enough.

You think if I wanted that I wouldn't have DONE it already? Thanks. No. I'm happy the way I am.

As am I. You can't give me such a gift and then take it away! Until today I didn't even know I HAD this power, let alone that I was... killing people. Perhaps forcing it on you three was... wrong. I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was doing.

And how many are going to die before you figure it out!

I... I will TRY not to let that happen. Let me live and I'll try. That I promise you.

"Stan? Earlier, you said 'dying to create art' was a triumph. Do you still feel that way?"

Stan. We're trying to avoid killing you. Please work with us.

The truth, Stan Bates. And no lies.

... I meant what I said. I will try not to let that happen again.

We have three options: do we force Calli to take back her power, trust Stan Bates to not kill anyone, or do we execute him?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 27, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ugh. We don't have enough information. If we kill him, where does the power go? Will it go back to Calli as its previous host, or jump into the nearest person (or us specifically since we moved it around originally) or go somewhere completely random, or just vanish from the world and die with him?

We're absolutely not letting him keep it, obviously, he's a lunatic who sees nothing wrong with people deliberately self-immolating.

And honestly I'm not convinced he wouldn't immediately go on a quest to get more power if we took it away from him, now he knows it exists.

In an ideal world we'd be able to ask Calli for more details and figure out how to find a willing and non-insane vessel to become the next Muse, but as it is...

I think our safest option is force Calli to take her power back. At least then we know what's happened to it and she seems unlikely to let/actively make people kill themselves. Hopefully once all this is over the Unavowed can help her find a new host so she can retire again. And we're probably going to have to kill Stan as well, unless we can wipe his memory, but that's a secondary problem.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I say we trust Stan. What’s a few little mistakes between friends really.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't like it, but I think forcing Calli to take the power is the best option. Maybe if she finds a child to take it that'd be OK (and there is one nearby), but in the short term she's the only one who can handle it safely.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Caliope needs to take her power back. Not only is she running away from her responsibility and it's probably killing her, but Stan here can absolutely not be trusted to use her power, and we're not just going to execute someone who, when it came down to it, was driven insane and being used by a demon.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Let’s see if this dog can’t learn some new tricks lets trust Stan.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

:commissar:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Execute Stan, he’s already killed people and Calliope being forced back into an eternity of unhappiness is bullshit.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Okay let's check our options:
1. Execute.

This one is...a bit overkill. Not only does it not solve...anything, really, it leaves the world down a muse, causes unknown consequences with the powers release and also causes a death. Negative.

2. Return the powers.

While having them with the proper muse is a smart move, having them on someone who doesn't WANT to be a muse is basically a huge dick move that also doesn't really solve much.

3. Let him keep em

The thing is, that guy didn't really kill anyone. That's the thing: they killed themselves. And they didn't kill themselves because he willed them to do it, they did so because they firmly believed that's the best course of action for achieving high art. While he is certainly responsible for those deaths, he is not a murderer the people are trying to portray him as, he is more of an accident. He didn't ask for those powers, he simply got them randomly and tried to use them for good, as he understands it. And if he is doing what a muse supposed to be doing, well, he's gonna train somehow. Unfortunately for some people in this thread, he is no longer a human, but rather a supernatural creature and as such cannot be judged by the same standards (in the same vein that you won't begrudge a snack of human corpses to a non-human), and by those standards he's been doing remarkably well. I don't believe he cannot possibly tone it down, now that it's been explained as to what exactly he is and what the consequences of his powers are. That's the best of all worlds: we get a willing muse, an unwilling one is rid of her curse and everyone benefits.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Caliope needs to take her power back. Not only is she running away from her responsibility and it's probably killing her, but Stan here can absolutely not be trusted to use her power, and we're not just going to execute someone who, when it came down to it, was driven insane and being used by a demon.

This person speaks wisdom. Force her to take her power back. She can find a way to retire safely later.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm inclined to think Callie needs to take her power back. Her assertion that she's happy like this, and Stan's assertion that he's happy like this, both come off kinda hollow and forced and unhealthy.

Our flashback for this chapter shows the demon forcing the power out of Callie, and in general I think we don't want to maintain the demon's schemes. We've been putting things back the way they were where at all possible. No sense in breaking that streak.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This person speaks wisdom. Force her to take her power back. She can find a way to retire safely later.

Making some kind of deal like thid seems like the best compromise. She must take her power back for now, because we sure can't trust this old fart with it. There are no great options here, but the only thing I am certain of is that the powers can't remain where they are.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 13, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

While I do think we should force the ex-muse lady to take back her powers, I kind of want to see what happens if we let our hobo-esk friend keep them.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Force her to take her power back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I'm going with give Calli her powers back if only because I really don't think Stan should keep it. He says he's not going to cause people to kill themselves, but for all we know, he's going to try to gently nudge people with creative energy, only to accidentally whammy them again.

Personally, I feel the best option would be to give it to June (and maybe it'll do that if we murder Stan, but it's not guaranteed and we haven't really directly killed anyone yet, from what I recall), so this is probably the best option.

Also, notably when we said, "Stan? Earlier, you said 'dying to create art' was a triumph. Do you still feel that way?", Stan didn't answer us directly, he just said he would "try" not to murder people again. He really seems like the kinda guy that would keep making excuses when his Muse powers drove people to death. "Oh, I didn't mean to! I'm still learning! Give me another chance!"

Better it to be in the hands of an experienced person that knows the right amount of creative energy to impart on someone, than this guy who just opens the fire hose, as it were. Additionally, Calli was saying that she was feeling tired, and I'm wondering if that's because she either needs the Muse energy to keep going, or Stan's misuse of it was draining her somehow, since it was originally her power. Or maybe a side-effect of when the demon yanked it out of her, idk.