Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
So this game is definitely making a good impression with its moral choices. These are actually choices that make me feel uncomfortable making, and it definitely lines up with how your allies disagree over the decision.

The demon was also really devious in this method of loving with people. Give them hope, then take it away and feed their desperation :/.

Banishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Eh it's less about the specifics and more about what he'd shown them.

He solved their problems, and then left. Problems comes back, and then you get people who'll try anything to fix their problems again. Only they don't have any idea what they're doing and are mucking about with magic. It's not about the specific result moreso the fact that with that kind of circumstance, SOMETHING will go wrong.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think the choice here would be less one-sided if we felt that Joy was remotely remorseful about what she did. She just comes across really badly here

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It reminds me of Dragon Age: Origins, actually. In effect, the factor that determines who your protagonist is wherever Duncan decided to be that day. It's implied that all the backgrounds happen, but only one of the origins gets saved by Duncan.

Here, it feels like the protagonist you end up being is whichever one the demon ended up possessing long-term. The starts all happen, but in a different order depending on whatever the protagonist's background is.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
God, as callbacks go, this one is amazingly done. "The last ghost that was saved." At least she seems to generally enjoy what she's doing.

The thing that sort of bothers me is why you can't offer to get some food for Logan.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
In-game, all it says is that it 'blocks spiritual energy'. So, I'd believe that someone can't put their arm through it since they also have a soul and everything. However, I don't see how just throwing him a sandwich would screw things up.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Living humans must be able to pass through it since it took Eli weeks to set one up in his lab and there wouldn't be much point if he couldn't get in and out of it.

Eh, in that case, I'd believe that it took weeks to set up, but he can turn it on and off at this point.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Now that we have Logan, there's probably extra scenes (or actually maybe even main story) with all those ghosts we keep seeing around the place.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do note that the writing is fairly smooth in letting you have the choice, and then guiding it back to the bottleneck. You could take either Eli or Mandana, and then that person gets captured while the other one is forced to come along. So it allows him to pull the story back to the same beats while still allowing some choice.

I'm not fond of the wish part though, since honestly it's effectively an infinite choice, but it can't be one in the format of the game. The integration of it sort of 'clunks' here.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's funny because for all intents and purposes, being a decent person to Logan here means missing out on content. It feels like Logan and Kaykay would have the most to say about the place, but actively bringing them there is a bit mean-spirited to see it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It's going to be sad when we have to eventually stop Calliope, or give her her proper powers back. It's inevitable that her corrupted state is related to that guy setting himself on fire and the little girl drawing with chalk in the rain. Big, grandiose artistic gestures that no one sees, but are invariably self-destructive. The little girl has apparently already been in the rain for 2.5 hours, and the guy kind of killed himself after all.... As well as Calliope's poetry into an empty bar.

Calliope honestly seems happier this way. So it's a pity that we'll probably make her sad in fixing it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Execution

He's both unrepentant and evasive. He tried to avoid even admitting he talked to that guy that burned himself to death. And when the questions got a bit uncomfortable, he decided to just zap us to deal with us, which makes me think he was trying to kill us on purpose.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The only lies she really told is to Eli. When she says 'it's just a headache', that one is an outright lie. Maybe the one about 'I call that a win' too.

She only says 4 sentences to Mandana, which are largely polite small talk to someone who is occupied in doing something else.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That's definitely one hell of a twist, I'll say that much.

From Paige's own words at the summoning time, Melkhiresa isn't really good or evil, they're just a big repository of knowledge. Whereas Paige is a murdering psychopath. So since the parameters of the exorcism spell are non-specific except for excising 'an evil spirit', Paige got removed from the body, and Melkhiresa's self-rewritten memories made them think they were a regular bartender named Paige Turner the entire time.

The most reasonable in-universe explanation I can think of as to why we don't have any of this repository of knowledge is that Paige essentially stole that from us.

I'll say that this train scene here is why I don't like the arbitrary 3 person limits on going places, considering that for this scene, the Unavowed just decide to go all 5 somewhere because..... reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
For the name, I actually like Melissa. Melkhiresa by their actions have completely embraced being human, so it feels like a nod to how they started.