Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Dammit, I was working on doing an LP of this very game :argh:

This game is great and I'm glad more people are going to be seeing it. I'd been starting to wonder if I was the only one who had played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
This part drove me insane when I played because for some reason I had a really hard time finding that fuse. I'm certain I checked its hiding spot more than once.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Black Robe posted:

While I am really enjoying this game so far, I'm questioning why they gave us a player avatar. There's no sense of Paige as a character and the strength of these games is in the characterisation; when everyone else is already pretty strongly fleshed out, having a blank slate protagonist just feels weird to me. I feel it might have worked better if we'd been controlling Eli, who seems to be contributing most so far. Still, it might improve later as we see more of the story.

Anyway, I choose Banishment. Guy doesn't seem to be suffering from being made of fire, just freaked out, and he'll get over that with time.

The game definitely starts filling things in and by the end you'll see why we have a blank slate avatar. This game is written really well.

I'm going to choose banishment because it's the opposite of how I went in my playthrough and I'm curious to see what happens.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SpruceZeus posted:

so this is a game about forcing you to make awful decisions i see

Our unwelcome cerebral roommate definitely caused some fallout.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Hey Tiggum, do you mind if we talk about stuff that happens in the other origins when it becomes relevant? I've only ever done the cop origin so I couldn't contribute much but its major differences will likely be coming up here soon.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tiggum posted:

Go for it. I played the actor origin the first time I played so I'll be trying to point out any differences from that the I notice, but I might forget some stuff and I haven't played the cop origin at all.

Cool. The main one that's come up so far is that you're able to get a bit more info out of the cop in front of the burned-out building and he'll let you right in because you claim to be an investigator from a nearby precinct. It's not that big of a deal because, as Tiggum just demonstrated, the bartender (and I assume the actor) are also able to get past him pretty easily. However, there are police officers in every section of the game and the cop generally has an easier time dealing with them or getting information from them.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 4, 2019

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Black Robe posted:

I'm guessing this is a part where being from the cop background gets you different responses?

You could certainly say that. Staten Island was our beat, after all.

You see, that woman we've been following, Vicki?

She was our partner.

As you might imagine, the cop origin story plays out completely differently from the bartender:

It begins with you and Vicki pulling up to high-end goth/rave bar Eternox after a report of an officer-involved incident.

You show the bouncer your shiny new badge and he explains that an officer you and Vicki are familiar with, Officer Morino, took down a bunch of kids armed with knives. "Like Bruce Lee or something", he says. He mentions the cop is a drat hero and deserves a promotion or something

Vicki points out that this is weird because the officer in question isn't exactly the most athletic member of the NYPD. Regardless, you both head inside.

The inside of the bar is empty except for the owner, who explains that she's really confused by the whole situation. She knows the kids who pulled the knives and they're good kids. She's not sure why they did that, but thank god that cop was there. "He disarmed all of them, like something out of a Bruce Lee movie."

You leave Vicki to chat with the manager while you head into the office to talk to the officer. You find him inside with the kids, all handcuffed. The kids seem confused but they all confirm that the cop took them down "just like out of a Bruce Lee movie". ("Wait, who's Bruce Lee?" wonders the girl right after she says this).

At that point Vicky enters the room.

"Hey Morino, just one thing's bothering me", she says. "All three kids have police-issued cuffs on them. Standard officer's kit only has TWO pairs. So where'd the extra come from?"

Not only that, but Morino's had an amazing week. This is his third arrest incident so far this week! And, weirdly, all of the suspects in all of his arrests had perfect records before he caught them red-handed in various robberies.

"I've been reading", he says.

"What, like self help?" she asks.

"Something like that", Morino replies.

And he whips out a book.

"Huh. Never realized you were such a badass," Vicki replies before leaving the room. Moreno turns to do the same to you but you pull your gun on him and tell him to drop the book.

He does so and kicks it over to you. You pick it up, there's a flash and Something enters your body via the eyes and mouth. And then, while Moreno is complaining about having been stuck in his uniform for TEN YEARS and it's so unfair that nobody has given him a chance, you shoot the kids in the head one by one. And then Moreno.

Then you go downstairs and see the owner and Vicki. The bar owner is telling Vicki to do something and asking you what's going on and are the kids all right??

She doesn't get any further before you shoot her and Vicki.

Fade to white.

I'll say more once Tiggum gets further into the section because the cop origin colors pretty much every single interaction you have here and I'm really curious to see how it goes otherwise.

(Amusingly, I managed to make the cop origin kinda comical by having named my character Victoria).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Huh. Morino still went nuts and Vicki still got shot even in this origin. Weird.

Anyway, as you might imagine, seeing your old captain has a bit more dialogue when you're the cop. And there's a LOT of the player being relieved that Vicki actually survived the shooting, as well as Vicki really, really not trusting you.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
There's actually surprisingly little that's different in this from when you're a cop. I guess it makes sense but what stuck out to me is that Vicki still got shot at a nightclub. I was honestly expecting that to not come up at all.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
You missed the funniest line from Kaykay, when you try to break the window yourself with a brick.

Also, you can't give him any food because that would break the circle around him and then everyone's hosed.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Out of curiosity, does the "point of most activity" change to wherever the MC first gets possessed if you choose the other backgrounds?

It's always where the prologue goes down, yes.