Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I love the Blackwell games, I'm absolutely up for this.

1. Man
2. Joey Mallone :colbert:
3. Bartender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, let him feed, those people don't need their meat any more. Better he eat dead people than live ones. The bodies were apparently torn apart anyway, he's not going to make it any worse by chewing on them.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, Kalash seems friendly. I'm sure everything's going to be fine.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Mechanical Ape posted:

I've been wondering, when did the cultural zeitgeist decide that genies were blue? Is it all Disney?

I got curious and did some looking around. It's not all Disney, they were influenced by The Thief and the Cobbler amongst others that also have blue genies. Blue specifically seems to date right back to One Thousand and One Nights where blue smoke turned into an unspecified-colour genie in The City of Brass which led to later illustrators making several genies blue, and apparently anti-genie protective amulets were blue, but generally speaking they seem to be shown in all sorts of colours as well as being invisible, made of fire or turned into various animals. Sometimes the different colours represent different types or ranks, sometimes genies are just funny colours. Your mythology may vary.

but yeah it's probably mostly Disney these days. Apparently they picked blue for Aladdin because red and black were the bad guys' colours so blue, white etc were the good guys' colours. Apparently it also references Persian art where blue represents water and sky, thus life and freedom, but I can't find anything solid about this.

:eng101:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

While I am really enjoying this game so far, I'm questioning why they gave us a player avatar. There's no sense of Paige as a character and the strength of these games is in the characterisation; when everyone else is already pretty strongly fleshed out, having a blank slate protagonist just feels weird to me. I feel it might have worked better if we'd been controlling Eli, who seems to be contributing most so far. Still, it might improve later as we see more of the story.

Anyway, I choose Banishment. Guy doesn't seem to be suffering from being made of fire, just freaked out, and he'll get over that with time.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm guessing this is a part where being from the cop background gets you different responses?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Solitair posted:

Eli's growing on me, so leave Mandana behind.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Echoing the cries of banish her. She only killed a dozen or so people, guys! It could have been much worse! :fuckoff:

Incidentally, what happens if you leave Eli behind and bring Mandana? Can she do anything to light up Scaly here?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tiggum posted:

I am the daughter of the Pirate Queen of Ulster. And her legacy lives through me.

"Your mother was a pirate?"

I did not say pirate. I said pirate QUEEN. She had a whole fleet of ships. She ruled the waters of half the old Irish kingdoms before she was through.

I think this might be referring to Grace O'Malley, aka Granuaile/Grainne Mhaol. She was a pretty interesting lady.

I still like Eli better but I suppose it's his turn to stay behind, so take Vicky and Mandana to the Bronx.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Keldulas posted:

God, as callbacks go, this one is amazingly done. "The last ghost that was saved." At least she seems to generally enjoy what she's doing.

Yeah :unsmith: I wonder if we'll meet anyone else we know.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Paused posted:

Really want a mini 'What if?" short, of how things would have gone with the Blackwell ladies if they had Kaykay rather than Joey. Hopefully less dogs would be drugged, and less cigarettes smoked.

Not that it's really important, but there been any indication of the rough time frame of the setting since the last game of that series yet?

Probably more cigarettes smoked, a bubbly 12 (I think?) year old would probably have grated on Lauren's cynicism more than Joey's wisecracks. I think she'd have got on well with Rosa though :unsmith:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I think Kaykay would have persuaded Rosa to take over her online game for her and nothing would ever have been done.

Nishanti and Moti should have joined the party anyway, they were underused IMO.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I for one would not need demonic possession and mental shenanigans in order to murder someone who killed my dog.

Jess did nothing wrong.

Logan and KayKay need to be in the party at all times now, by the way, because the girl is the best character and I'm guessing can't communicate with us without her medium.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yep, I was right, Logan and KayKay joint best character :3: that is just precious.

I still like Eli better even if it is Mandana's turn.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I can think of many more useful things to wish for. Why do we have to waste it on crazy plant lady.

Stone and dog piss. If we're gonna waste it let's really waste it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Eli, Logan, Chinatown

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Accurate (so far) mythology? That isn't the same handful of mainstream stuff everyone and their dog has covered before? In a video game?

What sorcery is this?

I also like that there was no dialogue or cutscene where the party discuss the plan. Just 'hey, turns out we have the stuff for a magic ritual, guess we should do it immediately'.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DaveGilbert posted:

Hey! Dev of the game here. I just found this thread and I've been enjoying it a lot! Thanks so much for putting it together. :)

Hey dude, love your games :)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

KayKay is just the absolute best character :3:

Let the dragon go, Kevin, before it curses you again and this time we decide not to help stop it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

anilEhilated posted:

Eli, Logan, Wall Street. Having an ex-accountant and an ex-alcoholic in our crew should mean we fit right in.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ugh. We don't have enough information. If we kill him, where does the power go? Will it go back to Calli as its previous host, or jump into the nearest person (or us specifically since we moved it around originally) or go somewhere completely random, or just vanish from the world and die with him?

We're absolutely not letting him keep it, obviously, he's a lunatic who sees nothing wrong with people deliberately self-immolating.

And honestly I'm not convinced he wouldn't immediately go on a quest to get more power if we took it away from him, now he knows it exists.

In an ideal world we'd be able to ask Calli for more details and figure out how to find a willing and non-insane vessel to become the next Muse, but as it is...

I think our safest option is force Calli to take her power back. At least then we know what's happened to it and she seems unlikely to let/actively make people kill themselves. Hopefully once all this is over the Unavowed can help her find a new host so she can retire again. And we're probably going to have to kill Stan as well, unless we can wipe his memory, but that's a secondary problem.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, it sucks. But now she knows it's possible to transfer her power, and since she's immortal she has forever to find and train a suitable replacement who won't casually kill people.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

:suspense:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Keldulas posted:

For the name, I actually like Melissa. Melkhiresa by their actions have completely embraced being human, so it feels like a nod to how they started.

Yeah, I like this. Melissa

anilEhilated posted:

Soo... that was the bartender background, the police background obviously gets Vicki's story instead of Logan's, but how do they pull off the emotional investment if you play an actor?

You find out Mandana is really into amateur theatre? :shrug:

And this

anilEhilated posted:

Eli, Logan, Wall Street. Having an ex-accountant and an ex-alcoholic in our crew should mean we fit right in.

is still the most appropriate option.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

So does this mean Logan and KayKay are mandatory for this section, or would the ghost talk to Paige Melk if there wasn't a convenient medium around?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hell of a dramatic note to come back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yes, yes, this is very important to you, Eli, but GRIFF THE P.I. BEAR IS HERE. :kimchi: