Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Who What Now posted:

lmao at the idea that any Canadian (or American) soldier has fought to protect their nation's way of life in the last hundred years.

Our way of life is being irredeemable assholes to everyone else in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Who What Now posted:

lmao at the idea that any Canadian (or American) soldier has fought to protect their nation's way of life in the last hundred years.

I'd say Hitler and the Axis winning WWII posed a pretty big existential crisis to our way of life, yes

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

I'd say Hitler and the Axis winning WWII posed a pretty big existential crisis to our way of life, yes

You should thank a Russian then

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
lol this is going to lead right into the war on Christmas from the PCs

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The poppy thing is odd to me and not in of itself I always give whatever change I have and end up with 10 poppies by the end

What’s odd is the fighting that goes on about how you can “wear” it, there’s staunch poppyists that say you can ONLY wear it on your lapel, forget about your hat or the sunscreen of your car, like gently caress the point is to donate money who gives a poo poo about a piece of plastic

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Noblesse Obliged posted:

:hmmyes:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

autism ZX spectrum posted:

important to remember that ol'Don writes in all caps with each word underlined

Which username did he settle on? I'm hoping TOUGH CUCK is still available

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Who What Now posted:

exactly

i stopped wearing that poppy years ago, gently caress you don cherry

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
drat that's sad, he was a mighty fine dresser

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I remember seeing people in Toronto selling red poppies at the CN tower, and I was like "I don't need your red communist freedom, I got blue american freedoms :911: ". Except I didn't actually say that, I just noticed him and walked past.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

If I ever move to Canada, I'm totally going to be a 'you people' and never wear one of those poppies.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Tank a Russian

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'd say Stalin and the Commies pushing all the way to the Western European coast wouldve posed a pretty big existential crisis to our way of life, yes

I took the bait. Just this once. Just this once...

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJp5-g69go

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hey everyone lets celebrate peace by donating money to soldiers (because the government doesnt want to, so you poors do it)

gently caress you nationalism

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Rj7HyzoJ4c

Oh look they found his replacement already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPd4FIiGt1s

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 12, 2019

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
No word of a lie, I've sat and drank on a couch that appeared in the movie about him while at a party once. It was exactly as if it had come from a grandma's sitting room

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's goddamn hilarious they fired him on rememberance day

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
it's a thorough loving own, to be sure

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Biohazard posted:

This all feels very Canadian.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

sweet thursday posted:

Did it though?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah it did idiot

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

alright turtledoves lets get back to the issue at hand

old man finally retired

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Don's Greatest Hit's

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sportsnet-don-cherry-cut-ties-nov-11-1.5355810

quote:

Feb. 22, 1998 — Cherry criticized Canada's choice of skier Jean-Luc Brassard as Olympic flag-bearer, calling him "a French guy, some skier nobody knows about." The CBC ombudsman would later rule that Cherry's comments crossed the line. CBC had rights to Hockey Night in Canada and Coach's Corner — Cherry's most recognizable media platforms — until the 2014-15 NHL season.

March 22, 2003 — Cherry entered into a heated debate with Coach's Corner co-host Ron MacLean about Canada's failure to join the war in Iraq. The debate and Cherry's pro-U.S. sentiments prompted at least 1,500 complaints to the CBC.

Jan. 24, 2004 — Cherry went on a rant about visors in the NHL, which prompted the commentator to say the protective gear was worn by wimps and usually sported by "Europeans and French guys."

The comments were taken as a slur against francophone Canadians, touched off criticism from numerous federal politicians and forced the CBC to temporarily implement a seven-second tape delay on his segments.

Dec. 7, 2010 — Wearing a garish pink suit, Cherry crashed Rob Ford's inauguration as mayor of Toronto with zeal that seemed to surprise even Ford. Cherry was invited by Ford to attend the ceremony and put the chain of office around Ford's neck.

He took the opportunity to deliver a three-minute tirade in front of city council, calling bicycle riders "pinkos" and celebrating Ford's election with the phrase "put that in your pipe you left-wing kooks."

Oct. 6, 2011 — Cherry, an avowed supporter of fighting in hockey, called former enforcers Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan and Jim Thomson "pukes" and "turncoats" for suggesting that NHL players who fight are prone to substance abuse. The comments were made shortly after the deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak, three former NHLers known for fighting.

April 28, 2013 — Cherry said he was against women reporters being allowed in NHL dressing rooms.

"I remember the first time it happened to me," Cherry said. "Guys are walking around naked and I hear this woman's voice. I turn around and she's asking me about the power play. I say, 'Let's go outside.' She said, 'I'm not embarrassed.' I said, 'I am."'

Several women reporters and the Association for Women in Sports Media rebuked Cherry for his stance.

Feb. 7, 2015 — Cherry faced backlash and a call for an apology from some Inuit Canadians when, while on location in Newfoundland and Labrador, he called MacLean a "savage" and a "barbarian" for eating seal meat.

Cherry walked back his comments a couple of days later. "I have no problem with my friends who are hunters and eat venison and duck. Just the same, as I have no problem, with people who hunt seals and seal meat," Cherry said on social media.

"I do however find it very unusual, in my world, that a person would go into a restaurant and order a seal burger for lunch. I meant no disrespect to the hunters who hunt and eat seal meat just like I have no disrespect for the hunters who hunt deer and duck and eat their meat."

Feb. 3, 2018 — Citing cold weather during winter, Cherry sounded off against those looking to combat climate change during a segment of Coach's Corner.

Cherry asked MacLean if he and his "left-wing pinko friends" could explain their concerns over rising global temperatures while Toronto was experiencing a midwinter cold snap. "I'm just asking you, the cuckaloos are always saying there are warming trends," Cherry said. "We're freezing to death."

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
a weak pop off

Canada is too nice

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

GolfHole posted:

exactly

i stopped wearing that poppy years ago, gently caress you don cherry

The fetishizing of the armed forces and veterans in Alberta is really loving weird and creepy. I stopped wearing a poppy years ago.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This guy appears to be a major rear end in a top hat. No true Canadian.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Burt Sexual posted:

This guy appears to be a major rear end in a top hat. No true Canadian.

Dig this: they had a big Greatest Canadian Ever reality show contest about 10 years ago where people voted from a list of 15 iirc and he came in second.

Second!

I don't even remember who came first.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Another Bill posted:

Dig this: they had a big Greatest Canadian Ever reality show contest about 10 years ago where people voted from a list of 15 iirc and he came in second.

Second!

I don't even remember who came first.

Cherry came in seventh. First place was noted pinko Tommy Douglas.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sorry, brain holes I guess

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The best Canadian was born in Scotland?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lol his advocate?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bret_Hart

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Pierre "Just Watch Me" Trudeau was truly one of the greatest Canadians that ever lived. To be fair, "Fuddle duddle" was pretty funny.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Goodbye grumpy hockey grandpa

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
vote sean

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Solice Kirsk posted:

The best Canadian was born in Scotland?

:getout:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

thats why we should remember the last time it happened. they did a really good job

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JShalvarov/status/1194054087261724685

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
im the anthropomorphic spirit of Lifestyle Induced Goiter and im just fuckin cackling, rubbing my glowing skeleton hands together