Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

WonderfulWino posted:

I fondly remember Don Cherry but I stopped giving a gently caress about the NHL when they raped my childhood and stole my Whalers.

Bastards.

personally I'm rooting for the Bruins to become the New England Bruins just to slap an extra juicy "gently caress you" to Hartford fans. suck my rear end barf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Ehud posted:

i have no idea what he was talking about in the video because i'm a stupid idiot

You have or know someone that has a drunk racist uncle? That's what's going on here, really.

Looking forward to seeing this as a Heritage Moment on TV in 10 years.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Canadian soldiers died for nothing

Shame that people forget that on Remembrance Day

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I remember the poppy every single day due to my crippling opiate addiction :canada:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Can we replace Don with Red Green? He's already got the whole hockey saying and everything.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

LadyPictureShow posted:

With Don gone, does that mean Moores is soon to follow? :ohdear:

I guess they could just force MacLean into those garish suits.

Don Cherry literally just goes to Fabricland, picks out some fabrics and takes them to his personal tailor to get a suit made. There is nothing professional about his suit choices.

Also I went to the comments section on the Sun Media page and it was exactly what I thought it was going to be....hilarious.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

Don Cherry literally just goes to Fabricland, picks out some fabrics and takes them to his personal tailor to get a suit made. There is nothing professional about his suit choices.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/11/fabricland-files-for-bankruptcy-after-biggest-customer-fired-from-coachs-corner/

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Bonzo posted:

Can we replace Don with Red Green? He's already got the whole hockey saying and everything.

This is a really fuckin good idea. Steve Smith is even from the area, he got his first big break in the early 80s on garbage-pail Hamilton public access television and such

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Bonzo posted:

The head of the Legion has come out to say Cherry was wrong and now people are calling for his head. lol goddamn

Hahaha goddamn are people ever stupid. I bet a bunch of these rear end hats just wear the same poppy year after year, secured with a flag pin, and never buy a new one. The whole point of the poppies is to raise money. Showing respect doesn't buy veterans meals. They don't need your dumb symbol. They need money and resources.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

MakaVillian posted:

At least when I still lived in a border city and could watch HNIC, Moore's was a Coach's Corner sponsor, and Cherry would occasionally flash the Moores label on his ugly suit du jour. :colbert:

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

personally I'm rooting for the Bruins to become the New England Bruins just to slap an extra juicy "gently caress you" to Hartford fans. suck my rear end barf

All so the team name wouldn't sound so much like an UrbanDictionary entry for some hosed up sex act involving baked beans.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i keep a mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle for when canadians come around

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i keep a mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle for when canadians come around

half way to "all dressed"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

We would probably use it to add vinegar to our french fries.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mooey Cow posted:

lmao, imagine feeling proud for people involved in WW1. Probably not a single one in those graves could have accurately explained what the hell they were even dying for, except that their own governments could have them shot if they refused to fight.

Canada and other overseas dominions of the Empire have a weird relationship with the Great War, and Canada has an even stranger one with WW2. The first wave of guys to go over all wanted to be more British and impress daddy England, and by the time conscription was enforced there was a lot of blowback as to why we were even bothering. The war did not have a severe impact on Canadian home life the way it did other countries, and doubly so in WW2 where we were a big contributor but our own territory was barely threatened while Britain got bombed to poo poo. So our wartime memory is about volunteers and victimized conscripts and less about the endless dead of broken empires. Then you get revisionist nonsense about how WW1 made us into a country (and ignore how that national identity was torn down by the veterans returning home) and you get jingoist idiots like Grapes who perpetuate the idea that we're a warrior nation who fight the good fight even when we don't have to because we're such a noble country.

gently caress that poo poo, gently caress Don Cherry and gently caress the idiots defending him.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

At least when I still lived in a border city and could watch HNIC, Moore's was a Coach's Corner sponsor, and Cherry would occasionally flash the Moores label on his ugly suit du jour. :colbert:

Hmmm, maybe he went to Moores to get the suit made? All I know is that he for sure got/gets his fabrics from Fabricland.

cnut
May 3, 2016

MakaVillian posted:

All I know is that he for sure got/gets his fabrics from Fabricland.

I think Rick Mercer did a bit with him at Fabricland where he literally purchased drapery fabric for his suits.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I could never figure out why he was so venerated - anytime I caught HNIC (I live in the states), he just came across as a blowhard.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

cnut posted:

I think Rick Mercer did a bit with him at Fabricland where he literally purchased drapery fabric for his suits.

*the odd couple music*

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

I could never figure out why he was so venerated - anytime I caught HNIC (I live in the states), he just came across as a blowhard.

hes got BIG energy that the LIMP-WRISTED PINKOS cant get their PEA brains around

basically he talked in all caps and dumb people like that (see: donald trump)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Blast of Confetti posted:

imagine being patriotic for canada. its like being patriotic over idk geese or something

Being patriotic over any nation is a bit silly when you think about it, since nations are lines on maps and cultures shift and change with regions and time. "Your country" is a mass of dirt like any other and "your culture" is just a group of people doing similar things and thinking similar thoughts and having similar traditions, which are literally people doing the same things because others before them were doing them but with more pomp and circumstances added in than usual. "Pride" is an inherently narcissistic and selfish thing anyway, but some things are dumber to have pride in than others.

(I'd bet money these are all things Don Cherry never thought about because, akin to "Ugly American" syndrome he's the patriot equivalent of a used car salesman.)

Whoria Discordia posted:

It's mostly just being patriotic over not being America. It's like "We have our issues, but at least we're not involved in that shitshow down south. And thank gently caress for that. "

Anyone who reads these words and presumes WD isn't being genuine either wasn't born and raised here or hasn't visited Canada for long. However you consider the concept of "National Identity", a huge part of Canada's, possibly the largest, is that "We're not the USA." Being in the Commonwealth with British ties equally so but seems diminished in the modern era, especially after the Cold War.

Those, plus all that pristine wilderness. Study Canadian Literature, and you'll see the recurring cultural flags of "Nature", "First Nations + British + French + New Immigrants", and "North America but not the United States." (Hockey as a national pastime is a thing in the latter half of the 20th century.)

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

cnut posted:

That's probably what I'm remembering

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm sure Don is already in Florida. He'll come out next year for Ford Fest to make a long rambling speech.

I bet his restaurants are going to be a GREAT place to be for the next few days.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

WonderfulWino posted:

I fondly remember Don Cherry but I stopped giving a gently caress about the NHL when they raped my childhood and stole my Whalers.

Bastards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKSpEfPOTo
RIP Pucky, harpooned somewhere off the coast of North Carolina

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Don Cherry is a friend of my step mothers and they do a lot of charity work together. I can absolutely confirm that he is a total rear end in a top hat in person and the racist poo poo he says on tv barely scratches the surface of what he says privately. He also never not “on,” the loud, talk over everyone stuff, literally every conversation with him, no matter how inconsequential the topic, it’s the most obnoxious thing. Like he’ll raise his voice and give a sermon if you ask him about the weather.

It’s nice that he’s actually attracting consequences for something he said but I suspect he’s never ever going to shut up about this so enjoy seeing him on every network who will let him speak ranting about this.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

I hope Pierre McGuire gets fired next. Not because he's a bigot or anything, I just hate that loving guy.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cherry Poppin' Donnies

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Necros posted:

I hope Pierre McGuire gets fired next. Not because he's a bigot or anything, I just hate that loving guy.

My buddy was his neighbor. Pierre is the biggest most awkward nerd. I dont know how he ever ended up on TV.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
He was on Tucker Carlson last night

https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/status/1194466160252772352

https://www.mediamatters.org/tucker-carlson/tucker-carlson-says-critics-don-cherrys-anti-immigrant-rant-are-fascists-no-real

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

two people paid to yell
two people go to hell

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Dong Cherry

cnut
May 3, 2016

Dong Cherry Popper

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
im glad hes dead

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There's also a Pro-Don Cherry rally at Rogers HQ today

Enjoy standing in the freezing cold for a stupid old racist idiots.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

everyones stupid except me

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

MA-Horus posted:

Hazel McCallion supports the rally but not enough to actually attend. Huh?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Another Bill posted:

Hazel McCallion supports the rally but not enough to actually attend. Huh?

she is old af she'd die lmao

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

GolfHole posted:

she is old af she'd die lmao

98 lol

Is there a reason people over 70 worship the US?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized hes basically canadian Jeremy Clarkson but an even bigger rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
and Rick Mercer did that segment because it literally is where Cherry gets the material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFPuMzza9hk