Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Edit: turns out I read that post wrong. But nonetheless my $25 wireless card is 8 years old and I've never noticed a difference between it and a wired connection. :shobon:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Howard Phillips posted:

Still, their SSHD price is uneatable, so threw one in my PS4.

Hey, we weren't asking what you had for lunch, buddy.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Genthil posted:

The thing I'm not so sure about is the GPU. I've been long overdue for an upgrade, but I've only used EVGA/MSI motherboards and GPUs in the past decade. Can anyone here vouch for Gigabyte's quality when it comes to their RTX cards? Also, how is Gigabyte's RMA policy?

I had a Gigabyte motherboard on my first build eight years ago. It lasted seven years before my top PCI-E slot stopped working, but at that point I had enough quirks with my system that I started a new one. Not sure about RMA policy, but I'd buy Gigabyte again if the price is right.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

what’s the go to canadian retailer for parts?

I've bought nearly everything from Newegg.ca but I'd be happy to hear if people have better places.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Klyith posted:

Get an SSD, it's the best feeling upgrade you can do.

Srsly. I just started using one maybe 3 months ago and holy loving poo poo.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

M.2 drives took a little getting used to for me as well. I understood what it was but was surprised how small it ended up being. But it's a really cool piece of tech.

I went from mechanical HDDs straight to M.2 drives, and the speed of this tiny stick of gum nearly broke my brain.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Klyith posted:

Star Citizen is optimized for mastercard and visa.
:lol:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

TheFluff posted:

If you start playing AAA games it fills up crazy fast. Installs that are well over 100GB aren't uncommon these days, and I think the current CoD:MW was over 150GB. Even Rainbow 6 Siege (which is a pretty old game at this point) is well over 100GB. If you're like me and have friends who you want to play some casual shootmans with occasionally it can take a lot of disk space to keep up.
Christ. Now I know I haven't played games in a while. I remember balking at 42GB for Shadows of Mordor...

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Boxman posted:

Bottom line, it isn't a spectacular time to build a budget machine. You definitely can do it now, and while predicting the future is impossible, I'd imagine you'll have a better time if you wait a couple months. That'll let supply chains catch up, (hopefully) prices normalize a bit, and your budget to grow. At the lower end, those budget bumps can make really significant differences in the machine.

Quoted for emphasis.

I don't mind waiting a few months before putting together a new budget work-from-home machine. It's like 2018 all over again.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 5, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Fallom posted:

Onboard video, really.

So...if someone wants to do this with an AMD chip, the choices are basically the 3200G/3400G (or the Zen/Zen+ equivalents)?

I think I know this answer, I just didn't realize that most of the Ryzen chips don't have integrated graphics. Like, you won't even be able to use your monitor without a video card.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Edit: n/m

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 14, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Boxman posted:

counterpoint turn everything to max brightness, rainbow color changing, de-synced if you can. Make your computer physically painful to look at.

For inspiration:

LODGE NORTH posted:

So, I need some creatives.

I have a dual monitor setup, two 27GN950s, but boy, the RGB is loving annoying. My monitors aren't facing a wall, so whenever I wake them up, I essentially blind whoever is in the living "area" (it's an apartment).

It's hilariously obnoxious.

https://i.imgur.com/rcRfhiU.mp4

What options would I have to, like, cover this.

e: Spoilered to not blind people, jeez.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

General PC building checklist. I've got myself:
1. Anti-static wrist straps.
2. Ratchet screwdriver with 14 bits.
3. Headlamp torch.
4. Cable ties.

Plus obviously all the components for the machine itself. Anything else I'll need to build this baby?

Honestly, you can get by with just a phillips head screwdriver and a youtube video.

Whatever doesn't get screwed in will fit together like lego, and even the thermal paste is usually pre-applied these days. If you want to save some aggravation, keep a cup nearby to toss screws into, and have a knife to open packages.

Valen posted:

I'd suggest having your motherboard and case manuals handy on your phone or a tablet or something in case you need to look up what goes where or what the optimal slots to put your RAM in are. I find it more convenient to look up on a device, but the paper manuals should work fine too.
Underrated advice. Your motherboard manual is a great reference document.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 4, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

High, drunk, sober, doesn’t matter. You’re losing at least one M2 screw.

Oh yeah? Not on meth, smart guy!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

At this point it's anything but Gigabyte. That poo poo is hot garbage.

Why, if I may ask? I don't have an opinion either way, and I haven't done any overclocking aside from XMP.

I heard Gigabyte's BIOS takes up the least amount of flash memory, so I'm wondering if they give up stuff because of that.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s crazy how fast my new computer boots when you have Windows installed on an NVME

Is it noticeably different from just a regular SSD?

Going from mechanical to any SSD was already mind-blowing. From what I gathered, NVME was a negligible upgrade. But if it's worthwhile, I'll tack it on my next build.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think I could ever go back to a platter drive for anything where I’d be installing games though. File storage, sure, I have a ton of platter drives I’ve pulled from laptops/prebuilts when I do upgrades for people. But it’s impossible to go back to platter drive load times for games.

I was surprised at how easy it was to set up RAID 1 Mirroring in Win10 with a couple HDDs. If you have a couple lying around (or you buy them; I've seen 1TB for $50), it's a great thing to add for long-term storage, because the setup isn't exotic at all.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

change my name posted:

Do I need to keep all of the boxes from my build or can I chuck 'em? Don't think I'm going to need the mobo or power supply boxes (and they're already registered for warranty purposes), will be keeping the GPU box for sure for when I resell it.

I usually keep my monitor box, and throw the manuals/warranties/extra cables in there. Whenever I move, the monitor is always the most awkward thing to pack, so it helps to have the box and packing styrofoam still there.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Just point the side panel towards the wall cover it with tape. :v:

Online, the cheaper cases seem to come in metal side panels. I'm really leaning towards a hinged side panel though. Regrettably, those all seem to be $200 CAD.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I'd get the Core i5 10400 if I didn't care that much about graphics cards, or if you just need a placeholder until graphics cards are attainable.

The only thing that bugs me about this is ram is limited to 2666 with that chip. I've priced out a decent budget WFH system that I can expand into a gaming PC later, but the only thing bugging me is the RAM speed with the 10400.

I guess I could solve most of these problems by just getting a GT 710 for now, and pricing out an AMD system. But I'd almost certainly be paying $100-200 more (at current Canadian prices).

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 23, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Yeah but windows is what, 40GB?

Get a 256 or 512 SSD and install the games you’re currently playing on the SSD, store the other games on the spinner.

This is basically what I did.

256GB SSD for OS (and everything else really, I casually game at best)
2 x 1TB HDDs in RAID 1 for long-term storage. Mirroring a drive is remarkably simple in Win10, and doesn't require any additional software. Hard disks are like, what, half the cost of solid-state? Might as well backup your poo poo to 'em, especially if you have a few lying around.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Supply shortages aside, is it worth waiting until DDR5 comes out? I remember DDR3 remained competitive with DDR4 for quite a while.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

I'd recommend the Cougar MX330-G, as I've got that one and it seems very adequate for the job, but it's got a window on the left side. Though, I guess you could always take some black spray paint to the inside of the glass if you can't stand to see inside?

The Cougar MX330-X has all metal sidepanels.

The whole MX330 lineup actually seems like a great value. My last build used the -G.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I'm going to invent a cryptocurrency that uses motherboard chipsets to mine.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

edit: whoops

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

GPU's galore

I can't even be mad, honestly. That kinda looks impressive.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

My rear end in a top hat 3 year old son likes to sneak up to whoever is on the computer and press the power button, before running off giggling. loving prick.

So I bought one of these and it's been an immediate improvement:

I put the switch right in front of the monitor, so:
  1. the little bastard can't sneak up on us anymore, and
  2. it's more challenging for him to get at.
It's doubly great, because my case's power-on LED is obnoxiously bright, so this serves as a great replacement. It came with a circle of poster tape to stick it anywhere, thought I didn't really need it. I got the cheapest one I could find, but I didn't realize you could get these with USB headers, headphone/microphone jacks, or even barebones AF for maximum fuckling. If I ever get around to building a new desk, I'll look at integrating one of these into it.

Building computers is neat!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

And just leave it running constantly? I suppose I could. Seems wasteful though. And we've got 3 kids, so it's nice when we can have some quiet.

Unless you mean the power LED, which I considered (and should have done). It was mostly the misses who complained about it, so maybe I was just too lazy.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

No I meant the whole button. For something to temporary, I’d probably disconnect the button and use the PSU switch to power it on when it’s off.

Also idle if you have the right power management settings, your machine should be using very little in the way of electricity.

I didn't know you could do that. My only concern would be that my son is such a clever poo poo-disturber tha'd he'd catch on and start flipping that switch. Would rather have the switch right in front of the user, and $12 isn't a bad way to get there until cryptominers find a way to mine using detached power switches.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

spunkshui posted:

Mine is a mechanical key. :3:

https://www.amazon.com/DKE-Desktop-...21563490&sr=8-3

Because my 20 month old is also an rear end in a top hat :(

Eeeeey, I like it! Sticking that tiny thing on the back of the monitor is a good idea.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

the detached power switch is very funny & also genius. dont let the wierdos itt get you down

Wait 'till I tell them that I put the backplate in a PCI slot that makes the cord (in the case) too short to cable manage.

COME AT ME BRO

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Obviously to show off cable management.

Smythe posted:

ohhhh look at me and my perfectly tidy case. its sooooo clean and pretty inside, not a cable to be seen. now if youll excuse me im off to jamba juice, then the tutu store, and finally to build a bear. tralalalalalala

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hope you made sure to install the beer directly on the mobo

If I ever make a custom water loop, you bet your rear end it's getting filled with whiskey.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

PC Building Megathread: Have GPU – Will Travel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

gently caress this, what happened to that Noctua desk fan?

Technically you could mount and hook up a bunch of Noctua fans into some sort of array that you could put on your desk.