Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Just upgraded my core system to a 11600k intel cpu, and a Z590 motherboard. now have m.2 storage and it rips.

I decided not to overclock it, it gets a little too hot on air, but at normal clock it idles around 35c. So far really happy with this build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I get to do an identical pc build this weekend to the one I posted recently, my buddy bought the exact same items I just did and wants me to build it. Going to see if I can speed run the process, get windows up and running in an hour if possible.

those little bitty screws that hold down the m.2 drive are so drat fiddly, esp with a heat sync on there.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/DBctWyV.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I did a second identical build of my new pc for my friend who ordered all the same stuff, 11600k, MSI Z590 board, and some gskill ram.

Only issue is he had 2 x old GPUs that run in crossfire and we didn't have enough power cables to use both so had to compromise with one for now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What GPUs? He should be fine with just one, the performance gain from SLI/crossfire was not great.

2 x AMD 7870s

I told him to just get another cable for his PSU since it's modular, but not sure if he will. He really wants to get a new GPU but that ain't happening.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bofast posted:

Nice cable management, imo

quick and dirty lol, the back of the case I just squished in there, nothing tied down.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

MF_James posted:

What are 1070s (not TI) going for right now?

way too much, 600-900 on ebay. poo poo was like what, 400 new 5 years ago?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Un loving believable luck. One in a million shot.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

please don't scalp it or use it for cryto, please be a success story for someone who just wants to game.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Joiny posted:

They had just sold a 3090 before I asked about the 3080, no more in stock today.

You can't buy more than 1 GPU per 30 days at microcenter right now, so no buying them out unless you have a bunch of fake IDs or friends (hah) or something.

I'll look into the Scythe Fuma 2, thanks for the suggestion!

And ya, I'm not a reseller or scalper, just a normal dude who wants to play my games. I may try to sell my 970 since I won't need it anymore though.

Edit: Oh ya, no crypto or mining either. I hate it.

drat, I guess I need to attempt to go to microcenter, the only one is like an hour away. Really sad they closed all the Frys :(

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

I got my old computer hooked up to my TV. I will never sell my GTX 970! It was (is) the best piece of electronic goods I ever owned. No trouble installing fans quiet from day 1 never any driver hiccups. EVGA is solid, man.

I'm so lucky I got the 1080 when I did, I got it really early for VR and the things can be resold now for near new price but screw that, it's gonna have to last me probably 3 more years until you can actually buy a GPU online like normal.

It's silly, all I want is a 3060ti for MSRP, but alas.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I'm keeping my new 11600k stock clocked to keep the temps down, it will go to 4.6ghz but starts spiking up into the 70's with mixed use, keeping it on stock clock it idles at 38c.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

BrainDance posted:

Speaking of pcie4, I got a 2070s on an asrock x570 taichi, a 5900x. So, pcie4.

gpuz says the gpu is running on pcie3

I just assumed that was what it should be, because the gpu doesn't actually use pcie4, but is that true? Is this all how it should be? I remember some article or something a bit ago that talked about minor performance improvements in some situations running a gpu on pcie4 even if it doesn't need it, but maybe that was just the 30 series.

think the only GPUs that use pci4 are the 30 series

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Why would you pay 375 for a 10 year old mid level processor?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Kithyen posted:

That's my current setup

Oh ok.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I too would enjoy a 3080 for 200 dollars.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

is our long, global nightmare finally coming to an end???
https://twitter.com/bnonews/status/1395005627886342146?s=21

i just want to see reflections in the cyberpunks

please please please please please keep crashing

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Smythe posted:

Stuffing cables in the case while quickly closing the side before they pop out again ftw

When I built my buddy's computer a few weeks ago, we got to the point of it posting and I said "well I guess we can work on some cable management now" and he said "gently caress that poo poo just close it up." Feels good man.

it's not that bad tbh but I did have to squeeze it all in there

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Hungry Computer posted:

It's the same case I just moved my PC to, there's metal panels that you're supposed to slide on that cover the cables so you can't see them. I guess it's to show off the SSDs if you mount them to the back? Or maybe they expect you to put an LED strip back there or something.

E: I went with the white one.

Yep, my buddy had me not hook up the front LEDs either, he was gifted the case and isn't into the aesthetics at all.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

they have mobos you can slot in an m.2 wifi card, or some have built in wificard. it's a bummer when stuff gets blocked I feel ur pain, I want to put more m.2 memory but I should have done it before the CPU cooler was put on cause I can't really get to the top slot now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Alucard posted:

Just be like me and live on a discord for a month or so.

Only GPU I ever had fail on me out the box was a Zotac.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Alucard posted:

Any port in a storm - I think they have a 3yr warranty on items they sell, but I'm sure RMAs are a bitch and a half these days.

It was fine, and part of the reason I used to shop at Frys so much, just returned it to the store got a different brand...back in the before times, when you could do that.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I was really disappointed in my friends new 4k monitor, it's so small that you get no benefit from the resolution unless your nose is to the screen. 4k is basically a waste of money unless the screen is 40'' or more.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Quick peripheral question: I have need of a desk microphone and figured ya'll might have some suggestions. Something under $50 that uses a standard 3.5mm jack and also doesn't completely suck despite being on the cheaper side. Everything I'm looking at so far is USB and I'd rather just use the line in jack on my sound card.

If you want to go that cheap just get a bluetooth dongle and some wireless ear buds, poo poo works great. I almost never use my desktop mic since I've started using the earbuds. Bluetooth dongles are 12 dollars, and some cheap earbuds are 20-30 bucks or more if you want something nicer.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

1200 bucks for a case...oof.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

change my name posted:

I'm going to rebuild my current PC in a white ITX case soon and was looking to swap some things out for their white counterparts. Anyone have experience with this Arctic cooler? Is it any good?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082MRJ1W7?psc=1

Current tower cooler is the be quiet! Pure Rock 2, would be for a 65-watt Ryzen 5 3600

seems to perform better than they 212 I have, and have used in my last two builds

which I'm guessing is because the coolermaster 212 uses an aluminum contact plate, the arctic has copper.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 1, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Here ya go mate.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there any reason to get M.2 SSDs with heatsinks other than the fact that they look :krad:? I'm reading up on them and some suggest there's an appreciable difference and others say there's a negligible difference. It's about a $25 difference between a WD black 750 with and without the heatsink so if it's negligible I could just use that money for some LED strips.

Also, while I trust my handiwork in building this PC, is there a problem with heavy air coolers starting to sag/warp the mobo over time? I got an NH-D15 so it's rather large and I didn't want to deal with the potential failure of a liquid CPU cooler. If there is, any sort of device I could use to help support the air cooler? I do like that GPU support brackets and stands exist now since those things look rather heavy.

I had some conception of the need for the heatsync but just now read something that made me go wtf

I got the WD Black with heatsync myself just because I figured why not give it cooling, and I figured the fit of a factor heatsync might be better than the one that came with my mobo. That said I'm not doing any kind of sustained tasks on my machine so probably never get close to thermal throttling or whatever.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mA posted:

After years of exclusively using Noctua air coolers, I made the switch to an AIO. Still getting used to the pump sound, but it's a nice change of pace to the chonky air coolers I've grown used to. I repurposed my former Noctua 140mm intake fans and put them up top as exhaust.

that cpu cooler looks really cool, it's like HAL.

oh what's up with that little fan looking thing on the cooler plate?

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 4, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

It's a VRM fan. Arctic is the only AIO manufacturer I know of that puts one on the CPU block like that. Probably not gonna make much/any kind of practical performance difference if you're not stressing your motherboard's power delivery components, but there's certainly no harm in keeping that stuff a bit cooler and I can see it being a nice bit of peace of mind in mATX/ITX builds where you're more likely to be dealing with limited airflow and/or less beefy power delivery than on a full-size motherboard.

oic, interesting. looking up homebrew solutions for cooling that area:

guess that's the area that stays hot on my mobo too, dunno:

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 4, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Why have an AIO when you could have a custom peltier?

here's an explanation about what would be required to use AC units to cool a computer. In a diff but related video he makes a fridge out of Peltier devices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWVfaxqTyl4

while it can be done, it requires a system that's not simple at all to make it useful.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

HOLY poo poo wow

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PC Building Megathread - CPU graphics will have to do for now

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

change my name posted:

I bought a secondhand NZXT H210 and am going to rebuild my current PC in it, and I have 2 120mm fans and 1 140mm fan already in use. Should I stick the larger fan at the front (to push more air towards the back) or at the back for exhaust (since it's a negative pressure case)?

doesn't matter too much, maybe big one going in, two small ones going out, the differences will be negligible.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nothus posted:

I finally got around to building my new system around a 5600x after the thread's suggestions. But the damned thing wouldn't boot, and I tried everything including tearing it apart and putting the old motherboard/cpu back into it in order to make a windows recovery usb. Twice. Much late-night swearing ensued.

After some googling, I noticed that I had forgotten to update the new motherboard's bios so that it was compatible with Vermeer CPUs.

What I'm saying is that I'm a moron and you should learn from my mistakes.

Omg, I wanted to buy a pretty cheap mobo initially but then I read that in order to get the new gen CPU I was also getting to work with them, it would require that I install a last gen chip, get into bios, flash bios, then put the new chip in. Ended up getting a Z590 board.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Nothus posted:

Fwiw, my Asrock motherboard was able to boot into the bios and flash the update with the incompatible CPU installed.

Ah yeah I'm sure some do, I'd read some things on boards I was looking at indicating that might not be the case. anyway just spent 50 more dollars and got the Z590 like I said and everything is beautiful.

Oh funny thing though, out the box, my friend's mobo, which is identical, he couldn't get it to connect to the internet via ethernet...we ended up having to update drivers just to get it to work at all, it was really weird, first time I've had a mobo totally not able to get online without driver updates.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

yeah nice story Bitmining Grandma, you still can't buy more than one a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

"just stick it in" was the solution after all.