Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Might be worth including a list of good YouTube resources? GN, Linus, Buildzoid, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Huge_Midget posted:

On the topic of cases, is there a go to full tower case that comes with at least six 3.5” HDD bays and a modern front I/O panel with USB Type C? It will be an air cooled setup, and if it had a 5.25” external bay that would be icing on the cake, but not necessary.

The only ones I can think of are the Fractal Define R6, Phanteks Enthoo 719, and maybe the be quiet! Dark Base 900. There aren't a whole lot of cases with Type-C on the front panel and even fewer that support that many 3.5" bays.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I asked about building an Unraid server on the old thread, but I have another question.

I've priced out something without drives and it's doable, but I've also found some prebuilt servers with hot-swap drive bays on eBay and wanted to get your option on them.

This is the eBay search page.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1312.R1.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xunra.TRS1&_nkw=unraid+server&_sacat=0
What looks good? I'm looking for mass storage and using files threw my network while they are on the server, and to run a Plex server with probably a max of 4 streams simultaneously, but 90% of the time it will probably be only 1 or maybe 2.

I don't know anything about Xeons or if 1 CPU is better or worse then 2.

Basically I have no idea what I am doing and don't even know if this is a good idea. Any thoughts?

Those can be a good way to get into home servers but there are some things to consider. They will be loud since they're designed for use in a data center, especially 1-2U ones. Also replacement parts can sometimes be difficult to come by since they don't use consumer standards for stuff like the power supply and motherboard, you often have to find proprietary ones on eBay vs just running to Best Buy or Microcenter if something breaks. But if these things aren't that big a deal they're definitely worth a look. I know a number of people that have picked up old Dell Poweredge servers and love them.

With regards to the CPU, just punch it into Passmark to get a general idea of how it stacks up on relation to others in Plex performance. General rule of thumb is that every 2000 points represents another simultaneous transcode. If you don't expect more than 4 streams almost any processor will be fine, having two CPUs would be overkill.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, another question. I'm seeing some deals at microcenter for motherboard + processor combos. Is it worth the extra $30 to move up to a Ryzen 7 2700x from the Ryzen 5 2600 bundle?

Be aware that the Microcenter "bundle price" of $30 off the mobo applies to any CPU/Mobo that you buy together assuming they are compatible with each other, not just the ones they show on their site paired together, it'll apply the discount once you add the items to your cart. Just so no one limits themselves because they don't see a bundle for what they really want.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd be a little :ohdear: about a 2700X on a B450 board, though. That's kind of stretching things.

Wait, what? Are you saying that it's stretching the board's capabilities? If you're not overclocking, any B450 board should be able to run up to the 3900x as long as you have at least a little airflow in your case. A 2700x should be no problem.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 18, 2019

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

alphabettitouretti posted:

I've got a HP microserver that's primarily used as a Plex server. It's doing fine for that purpose, but I'm thinking about replacing it with a more capable system that I can use for some games too. I'm gonna try building around a Ryzen 5 3600, but I haven't set up an AMD system since the Athlon days. So, coupla questions:

- Any recommendations for a motherboard? It doesn't need to be anything crazy powerful, but 6x SATA ports would be handy.
- I was under the impression AMD systems were a little more sensitive when it comes to RAM, is that still the case? I assume it's pretty safe to go by whatever Crucial or whoever recommends as suitable for your board?

The standard go-to board is the MSI Tomahawk MAX, it has a good VRM and actually effective VRM cooling. The MAX variant is designed for 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box and should be fine with any 3000-3200-3600 memory kit. The usual recommendations are Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, G.Skill Ripjaw V, or Corsair Vengeance, whichever's on sale for the best price.

It is worth noting that, on most motherboards, if you use an M.2 drive it will disable 2 of the SATA ports on the board. It's also worth noting that unless you get a G series Ryzen processor you will need a GPU in the system to get any display out so keep that in mind if you don't already have one and you're not looking to run a headless system (I assume it will still POST even without a GPU but I honestly don't know if that's actually the case).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Fair enough, the video didn't really makes this clear and I also assumed that he would be aware that people buying ITX boards would have little interest in overclocking generally. I'll look into the Asus B450 board in case I'll end up going with that over X570.

Yeah, I find Buildzoid is good to consume alongside Hardware Unboxed. Between the two you get a good general idea of where the strengths and weaknesses of a board are and decided what's important to you.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Bank posted:

Trying to figure out what case exactly I should get. I'm thinking about doing Raid 5 with parity (3 x 12TB disks for 24TB). I'm thinking about the NZXT H510i but under 3.5 it says "2+1" does that mean it comes with 2 primary and 1 "flex" space allowing me to use either a 3.5 or a 2.5?

Also, is Raid 5 still a thing or am I better off just backing up what I actually care about in the cloud? (I realize that's probably another thread entirely..)

IIRC the 2+1 means that the 3.5 housing is built for 2 drives but it also has space and mounting holes on the top of the cage that you can add another drive there as well. You might be better served with many other cases though, the 510i requires you to screw the drives directly into the cage instead of using sleds, so HDD noise an installation are both worse than other similar cases.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The Thermaltake Core v21 is a square box micro atx. But there doesn't seem to be many amazing matx motherboards.

As of x570 all the major board manufactures basically declared mATX a dead form factor so it's really just ATX or ITX going forward at this point (also EATX seems to also be getting more popular? :iiam:). I was pretty bummed when MSI discontinued the Mortar extremely early in its lifecycle as it seemed both popular and good value.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Harminoff posted:

A college near me is having a technology surplus sale tomorrow and I think I'm going to stop. Anything that I should look for? Are the desktops usually good enough that throwing in a video card/more ram will allow for light gaming? (Mainly Sims 4)

Not sure if specs across colleges are pretty standard and there is something good to find/avoid?

For reference, this is what they have.
Complete PC Systems (monitor, keyboard, mouse, imaged PC and cables) - $94.70
PC Laptops - $75.83
PC Desktop - $47.39
All Mac Devices - $104.27
Projectors - $94.79
Miscellaneous Devices - $4.74 per item
Unknown Devices - $9.48
Hard Drives - $4.74
Monitors - $23.70
Cameras - $4.74
Cables/RAM - $1

It may not be the best way to get a bare bones gaming rig but it can be a good way to pickup a cheap box to use as a Plex/NAS/Minecraft server. My home server started life as a Dell Optiplex workstation that my work was recycling and has been a fun project.

That said, you could probably run Sims 4 ok throwing a 1650 in it, they come in small form factors that make them easy to fit in non standard cases and they don't require the extra power that usually prevents prebuilts from being a gaming machine.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Convertable Mini Tower. Looks to be this one

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-wo...ghz-16-gb-2-tb/

But with a much smaller hard drive.

As someone currently running a 3770 in his gaming machine, nice score!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

slidebite posted:

Hey thread, not sure if this is the best place but figured I'm not too far off the mark.

I recently upgraded my old i7-6700K system and now have the CPU and 32GB of 2400 of RAM. I was going to sell it, but then I started thinking there is a ton of life still in a 6700K and remembered my mom is rocking a totally ancient ~something~ I built for her 10 years ago. I think for Christmas I might make her a new system with this BUT I am having a heck of a time finding a motherboard (H110/B250/Z170/Z270 chipset has been discontinued for some time) to go with it. Only thing I can find is a full size H110 ATX mining board. Which I guess would work, but it's going to be a much bigger case than I hoped.

Any sources for old stuff to check? Preferebly :canada: ? Or, even better yet, any of those bare-bones sets with case that might still take a Skylake?

Honestly, for Intel gear going used is usually the best option. Hit up eBay or Kijiji or something. Might be worth looking for a Dell or HP workstation with a Skylake i3 or something similar in it from a reseller and swap the CPU and memory into it. They're fairly cheap and can be found in small form factors.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Killer_B posted:

She's very unlikely to require more than web based mail and browser oriented games, which doesn't typically require a lot of power...I think the 2200g would be more than enough for her needs.

Would the Intel-based options that are similar to your listed setup be priced about the same?

I'm thinking small, as she is looking to de-clutter more than a bit, and if she happens to need to use CD/DVD or the like, there's always external USB players/drives available.

This might be a case where you might want to just get a used USFF Optiplex off ebay. You can grab one with an i5 for like $100 and I'm fairly sure many of them also have wifi available if needed, are tiny, and should have more than enough oomf for what she'll be using it for and you can always upgrade the storage and memory yourself if she needs more.

If you really want to build something new then I agree with Stickman, though I would say it might even be worth looking at the Athalon 3000g and save another $20 in addition to the 8gb RAM option he mentioned.

I guess it all just depends on if she'll need Vega 3 or 8 graphics or if the Intel iGPU would be fine.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 27, 2019

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Stickman posted:

c) Cross generational motherboard compatibility means that AMD processors actually decrease in price. When the 3600 actually starts limiting performance, the 3700x will most likely be cheaper and they'll probably be drop-in Zen 3 options that might be more tempting.

This is definitely one of the most appealing aspects of AMD right now. My last processor being an Ivy Bridge i5 meant that the socket was dead the day I bought it and the only upgrade was going to an i7. With AM4 even if 6c/12t starts handicapping in a couple of years I could potentially pick up even a 3950x for much less than launch price, or potentially a Zen 3 chip. Lots of life in the platform.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

The other question I would like to ask is what case would be recommended aside from the Meshify C.

I just recently picked up the Cooler Master H500 and I love it.

I also personally like the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG, my brother just picked this up for his new build and it's great.

GamersNexus also just released their "Best Cases 2019" video, they're big fans of the Phanteks P400A.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u8rGgYrRZY

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 29, 2019

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

OneMoreTime posted:

Hi, I'm building a dumb gaming/streaming PC

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2Ztd9G

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1522.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-29 11:59 EST-0500

Anything particularly awful on there? I can go slightly up on budget if need be (although I obviously would prefer not!) I do want to go a little overboard on the image quality when it comes to gaming, hence the card and whatnot.

If you're looking to do gaming/streaming on the same PC then I would definitely go with a Ryzen 3700x build instead of the 9700k. It's nearly equal in gaming performance and its multi-threaded performance is much better since it has double the threads of the 9700k, which is preferable for streaming.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

logis posted:

Trying to decide on what to purchase, since I have decided to build a desktop (decided as of yesterday) and want to take advantage of Black Friday. Above looks like a good start.

What country are you in?
US
What are you using the system for?
Mostly work; want to run Windows + one or two Linux VMs. Want a video card, minor gaming.

What's your budget?
Looking to spend a total of less than 700 if possible (plus ~40$ for Windows), though maybe upto 800 if needed. I have no hardware currently.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?
Nothing requiring more than a video card. I want a NVIDIA for ease of use with Cuda (https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus). I do want at least 16 GB of RAM and a SSD.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?
Not looking to game at high FPS or 4k or anything.

Other questions/wants:
Do I need a CPU cooler?
I would prefer the computer to run very quiet. Willing to spend more on fans as needed (I havent researched fans yet).

I havent BYOC in years, so I am trying to remember how this all works and all the extras (do I need to buy thermal paste?).

If gaming is a minor concern it might be worth looking for a GPU on the used market. An RX580 or GTX 970 can be scooped up for $80-$100 and should work fine for 60hz/1080p gaming. Any new card is going to run you at least $200 which doesn't leave much room in the budget for peripherals, especially a monitor. If you did want new then a 5700 or 1660 are the cheapest new options.

EDIT: also, don't pay more than $20 for Windows, you can pick up a key from our very own SAmart for that much that work fine.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 29, 2019

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Zernach posted:

I was considering getting new a 27'' 1080p monitor since I saw some deals for those, but apparently that runs into issues with pixel density? Would that matter much in gaming or is that just a problem for graphics producers? Or should I just bite the bullet and add +100€ to my ~200€ monitor budget for a decent 27'' 1440p IPS monitor?

To add to what Stickman said with my own experience, 1080p on 27" really isn't that noticeable while gaming but if you do literally anything other than game all the time on it you will notice it and it will suck. Reading the forums or working in Word/Excel looks pretty garbage. My recommendation is definitely that if you want to go bigger than 24" then you need to go 1440p, if you're fine with smaller you can find some really good 24" 1080p screens which is what I ended up going with. But yeah, the best way to shop monitors is to see them in-person because people's eyes are just wildly different, some people can't notice something that might completely ruin the experience for another.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

I was recently forced to upgrade my video card due to the death of the previous one and now I'd like to upgrade the rest of the system to go with it. I'm currently using a 4670K on an Asus Z87 Pro with 16 gigabytes of Corsair something-or-other RAM.

What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? General use/Gaming
What's your budget? $1k absolute max
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p/60Hz

My current power supply is a Corsair HX 650 watt and video card is a Radeon 5700 (non-XT)

Looking for feedback on the motherboard and cooler: It sounds like 570 chipsets don't offer anything compelling over 470s except for a southbridge fan which just adds another noise-maker/point of failure. I also understand that Ryzen 3xxx series chips should work fine on 470 boards with the worst case scenario being a need for a BIOS update. I don't care about/want to pay for RGB bullshit, don't really need integrated Wifi or sound, but at the same time don't want crappy VRMs and what-not. Is this Gigabyte a good bet? I'm also not really concerned with overclocking so sticking with the Wraith cooler is the plan unless someone can recommend a good air cooler that'll perform better around the $50ish mark. I'm also wondering if a Ryzen 5 3600 would be a better value, but I'd like this system to last a minimum of 5 years before another upgrade so maybe the 3700X with the extra two cores is a better long term deal?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($163.91 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($81.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $775.87

If you're not going to overclock and you don't plan on using SLI then there's really no reason to go X470 over B450. An MSI Tomahawk Max has a good VRM and one of the better VRM heatsinks out there and is generally the go-to recommendation. It also avoids the possibility of needing a BIOS update.

The Wraith cooler is fine for running stock but if you find it's too loud for you liking you could always go with and Arctic Freezer 34 or Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B cooler.

The 3600 is a good value but there is some question how long 6c/12t will stay relevant so if you're fine spending the extra I'd just go with the 3700x, 8c/16t should be fine for quite a while.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Rookoo posted:

My brother's got a system that I built some years ago with an

i5 3570k
16GB of DDR3
A GTX 970
A decent SSD

And says he's unhappy with the performance at 1080p in current games as well as VR and VR stuff that'll be coming up in the pipeline.

I haven't upgraded myself in a bit so I haven't been keeping up; is the CPU the main bottleneck? I'm guessing he'll mostly have to do a rebuild due to different sockets etc.?

I'm well aware you can't future proof but is there anything worth waiting for in the next few months or should he go for a new build?

I had almost this exact build until fairly recently. If his budget is really tight you can find a used i7-3770 for about ~$80 that'll double the number of threads he has. I noticed a significant performance bump when I upgraded to it from the i5, 4c/4t was a major bottleneck in some newer games like Farcry 5. Outside of that you're probably looking at a re-build, though. The 970 should still have a bit of life left and giving it a bit of an overclock in MSI Afterburner can really make it feel faster (though its real limiting factor is the amount of vRAM it has).

A full mobo rebuild with the current recommended specs from the thread costs about $350, that includes
-Ryzen 5 3600 ($180)
-MSI Tomahawk Max motherboard ($115)
-16gb DDR4 3200mhz RAM ($60)

Dropping the 3600 down to a 2600 will save you ~$80 and he'll still see a good performance boost so that's a decent option to bring the total build cost under $300 and he can always upgrade later since AMD prices actually tend to drop over time unlike Intel's and supposedly Zen3 will still be on the AM4 socket (even if it isn't, going from a 2600 to a 3950x in a couple of years would still be a pretty big upgrade).

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 2, 2019

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Whoreson Welles posted:

Okay, looks like I’m watching for sales on those cards then, thanks! One last thing, what’s up with PCIE 4? Am I gimping a newer GPU by putting it in the MSI Tomahawk Max which only supports PCIE 3?

I’m ashamed of myself, I used to be so in tune with all this stuff years ago but I haven’t built a PC since like 2013. Tech moves fast, yo.

AFAIK the only card that can theoretically saturate a PCIe 3.0 channel is a 2080ti and I wouldn't expect to really see those going to 4.0 for at least another generation or two. It's more a feature for NVMe storage right now.

e:fb twice

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

MikeC posted:

X570 chipsets have 4.0 lanes meaning they don't need to steal lanes from SATA.

Some M.2 heat spreaders apparently trap more heat than they disperse.

I have heard that NVMe drives can actually perform better when they're hot but I have no idea how true that is. It would not surprise me at all if NVMe heatsinks end up like VRM heatsinks, where the marketing team just takes them over and they go form over function.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Friend of mine went and bought this last night (3700X, 580 8gb, $850). Parted out it really doesn't seem to be a bad deal dollar for dollar, though you do get some of the questionable part choices endemic to prebuilts. It's still within the return window (if they don't screw him on the game code), so if I can guide him to a better system i'd like to.

The tricky part is he's mostly interested in strategy / city builder games and benchmarks for those aren't super common. Would the 3700 outperform the 3600 in things like Cities: Skylines or Total War? Would the 2600/2700 be a notable performance regression?

From what I can recall seeing on those is that, while games like Civ 6, Anno 1800, and Cities: Skylines do rely much more on CPU than GPU and love multi-core, the return is logarithmic. So while there are pretty big bumps going from say single core to dual core or dual core to quad core, going from 6 core to 8 core doesn't really have that big an impact. So technically yes the 3700x will outperform the 3600 but only by a couple of percentage points, not really enough to justify an extra $100.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

Are there any pre-made brands of PCs out there that are really great value, for those who don't want to build their own? I got an HP Omen desktop on a sale a couple of years back with all of the latest greatest specs for a bunch less than what your usual Alienware and iBuyPower were charging for the same rig. Curious if there are other makers whose margins are, unfortunately thin for them, but great for us consumers.

Micro Center's in-house brand PowerSpec is generally good value when they're on sale (you're basically getting them at-cost) but likely they're in-store only so you're out of luck there if you don't live near one.

I think Linus did a pre-built roundup about a year ago, I'll see if I can find the end results.
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRFEr3rAizY
Their conclusion was that HP Omen and iBuyPower were the best value (and that HP's customer support was way better than iBuyPower's) but like Stickman said, this was almost exactly a year ago and a fair amount has changed since then so YMMV.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 4, 2019

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Zikan posted:

Great! I'm probably going to pick up a 5700XT. I have no idea what the good models to buy are, I'm never gone in the Radeon product line before. I understand the reference cards are really bad because they're blowers so I should not get them, usually I buy MSI/EVGA but there's all of these brands like Sapphire or Powercooler I've never heard of. What are the recommended models?

GamersNexus has you covered https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5McVc0SQMHU

GamersNexus posted:

For those who've been trying to figure out the best RX 5700 XT, this benchmark recaps our reviews of several partner model options (and AMD's reference) to condense all the information into one spot.

Best Overall - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC (Amazon): https://geni.us/BNWJl4
Runner-Up - Sapphire Pulse (Amazon): https://geni.us/VzFA3

Best Cooling - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ (Amazon): https://geni.us/Wybi
Tied with - Powercolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil (Amazon): https://geni.us/nZHuxR

Most Decidedly Average - MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X (Amazon): https://geni.us/2rUTK [not yet listed, but this search link will lead to it when it is]

Most Unique Feature - ASRock RX 5700 XT Taichi X (Amazon): https://geni.us/AOAS [not yet listed, but this search link will lead to it when it is]

Best Worst RX 5700 XT - XFX RX 5700 XT THICC Ultra II (Amazon): https://geni.us/ySLN
Runner-up - MSI RX 5700 XT Evoke OC (Amazon): https://geni.us/sfhO

Best PCB - ASUS RX 5700 XT Strix (Amazon): https://geni.us/CdVu
Buildzoid's ASUS 5700 XT analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioJHG...

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

I have some old PC hardware will become a sort of HTPC out front and since it'll be built around a 4670K I'm gonna need another video card. The PC will be attached to a 4k TV and used mostly for web browsing and streaming. Gaming wise I'd imagine the heaviest duty thing that might get thrown at it is Starcraft 2 (running at 1080).

Would a Radeon 570 or GeForce 1050 work for this? Amazon has a XFX Radeon RX 570 RS XXX Edition listed for $140. I'm thinking this will do the needful unless there's some pitfall I'm not seeing or a better deal can be had elsewhere.

Those should both be fine. The 1050 might be preferable for an HTPC just because you can get it in smaller sizes and without needing additional power connectors which can lend themselves to small cases but if those aren't concerns then a 570 is definitely the more powerful option. Though IMO buying a 570 retail is silly, buy used and you can pick one up for like $80-$90.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

ChocolatePancake posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a quiet, easy to install CPU cooler that will fit onto a micro ATX motherboard?
I have a system that I would rather not have to take everything out and put it all back together just to get a new cooler on there.

Go-to low profile coolers are the Noctua NH-L9 or the Scythe Shuriken 3. I've personally used the Cooler Master GeminII M4 and it was easy to use but I'm not sure how well that install would go without taking the board out. Honestly, the easiest coolers to install without taking everything out will probably be an AIO since the waterblock is small and easy to get around and the radiators can usually be installed without taking lots of stuff out. What case do you have?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

It looks like it should be fine. Going through some of the completed builds on PCPartPicker a fair number of people are running 240mm AIOs.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Current rocking an i5 3570k OC to 4.5GHz with 8GB DDR3 RAM on a Samsung Evo 850 and an AMD Radeon HD 7950 Boost 3GB. Put the guts of it together in 2012 and have been really pleased with it. Never imagined I'd still be using it nearly 8 years later.

Most of my gaming is done on Xbox these days but I also do Office work and use a remote access client for work. Got a nasty web browsing habit too.

Would a Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB DDR4 RAM on an NVME drive be a nice boost in responsiveness? I'd stick with my current GPU for a while until I'd be able to afford a newer one.

Yes, I just upgraded to a 3600 from a 3770 (and a 3570 before that) and I couldn't believe what a difference there was. Even between the 3570 and the 3770 there was a lot of improvement, the 3600 was pretty nuts, if for no other reason then fan noise. The cores just don't max out like they did on the 3570 so my fans rarely ramp up in speed like they used to. All of the waiting I was used to was suddenly gone, switching between apps and having a million tabs open in Chrome have basically no impact now.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

NickBlasta posted:

Sounds more like an aging 7 install more than anything, likely formatting and reinstalling Windows would largely fix your performance issues.

But if you have Windows on a platter drive merely buying an SSD will be like a light speed upgrade.

This could definitely be a good place to start. Windows 10 often performs better on older hardware than 7 does so it's worth upgrading, would also potentially resolve any issues caused by bloatware or junkware kicking around on your system. And moving to an SSD if you're not on one already will also give you a very noticeable boost. It's also worth considering picking up a 4790 used, a lot of games now seem to expect more than 4 cores so 4c/4t processors have been struggling while old i7 chips are still chugging along. The new Modern War is a good example, a lot of people with even 6th and 7th gen i5 chips are reporting performance issues (and IIRC even GN was seeing major stutter issues with a 9600k in RDR2) while my 3rd gen i7 seems to run it fine.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

cowofwar posted:

I have two dell 25” monitors. I need a dual VESA mount that clips to the back of the desk against the wall that is relatively low profile in terms of distance between the monitors and the wall. I see a lot of weird chinese ones on amazon and am not sure which brands are garbo. VIVO is good? Gas arms seem like they need more space. I could mount to the wall but seems like a hassle when I could desk clip. I would just set position once and forget.

A second "yes" for VIVO. I have this mount at home for a 32" TV positioned over my monitors and it's been great.
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B0155LJATK

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Ebola Dog posted:

I'm thinking about building a new PC in the new year to replace my current system which is starting to get a bit old.

Currently just thinking about what sort of thing I want but my last system was a full size ATX build but now my desk space has got smaller (and space under and around the desk as well!) so I was tending more towards a mATX or mITX build, something with a smaller form factor.

I am in the UK, and want something for gaming, my current monitor that I currently plan on keeping for now is 1980x1200 but I might change my mind in a year or two? Games wise I am playing red dead redemption II at the moment and plan on getting cyberpunk 2077. For features I am after something with decent wireless networking, space for a SSD and a HDD (HDD not essential but would be nice) and small (ish) size.

I want to keep the cost under £1000.

This is the current part list I've been looking at:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£172.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£135.10 @ Alza)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£116.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£237.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (£79.99 @ Corsair UK)
Total: £800.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-11 16:41 GMT+0000

I'm not sure about the graphics card (8 gb vRAM better?), I'm also not sure if mATX or mITX would be better in terms of cost to size. Are there any recommended cases as well, I was looking at the Velka 5 for mITX size but would like to get other recomendations.

In general mATX will cost you less since it's basically an ATX board with the bottom couple of inches chopped off, it doesn't require major redesigns by the manufacturers like ITX does. Since you're in the UK you have access to the MSI B450 Mortar MAX which is the best mATX board for AMD (and honestly is probably the best B450 board in general in terms of value) since the form factor is basically dead on x570 aside from a single Asrock board that costs over twice as much. It doesn't include wireless though, so if you need that you'd have to get a card separately.

For case recommendations, a buddy of mine has an mATX build in a Thermaltake Core V21 that he really likes.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

magnetic precision electric screwdrivers are cooler

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Got one you'd recommend?

I have one of these and I like it a lot.
https://amazon.com/dp/B07DB7ZT5P

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

5436 posted:

I'm building a server (not enterprise quality) to run kubernetes, redis, nodejs, and rails. Traffic will be light, this will be mostly for development and a few users worth of traffic. This is just to hold us over until we move to GCP and pay for some sweet sweet cloud hosting.

tl;dr: at home server, low traffic, kubernetes, redis, nodejs express, ruby on rails, and postgres!

need help on mobo + case, have storage already! No need for video card, will just ssh into box.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($159.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA BT 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $333.97

I'd still probably recommend the MSI Tomahawk just because my perception of the 2700x is that it can get power hungry and some VRMs might struggle, but you'd probably be fine with something like the MSI B450-A Pro.

For the case, are there any specific requirements you might need, like lots of drives, see-through side panel, high airflow, etc.? The Phanteks P400a starts at about $80 and is great for airflow and ease of use (recently won Gamers Nexus' Best Case 2019) and the NZXT H510 is basically the standard for "basic case". You could go with some of the barebones $30 Rosewill ones that will cut up your hands during install, be a pain to get stuff in and out of, and bend everywhere, but do the job, or something like a $50 Thermaltake Versa series or Cooler Master Masterbox that don't quite have all the features of a P400a or 510 but are still pretty nice and would serve as a server chassis just fine. Going the other direction in price, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M is very modular, the Cooler Master H500 has some bonkers airflow, and the Fractal Meshify C is the thread's case of choice.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 16, 2019

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm looking at a Sapphire Pulse RX-570 4GB at MicroCenter for $120. It would be replacing a R7 265 for 1080p gaming and nothing too strenuous. Is this a good deal? Or do I have better options on the used market - and if so, what's the recommendation? I can afford to spend more money but it's kind of a waste as I mostly play strategy games and poo poo like that, although gfx requirements are going up. Don't plan to buy a new monitor for the immediate future, so mad framez is kind of wasted.

Like ItBreathes said, for a 570/580 you should definitely look used, you can find them on ebay for $60-$70.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Micro Center has the 3600 on sale for $169 right now, 3600x for $189. Good time to buy to save some money or get basically a free upgrade if you've been sitting on it and are near one of their stores.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

The TUF brand... surprised you went with that one. I read the reviews as meh.

I know the TUF B450 and x470 boards were pretty forgettable but AFAIK the x570 TUF board is one of the best value x570 boards.

I think Buildzoid has a good statement on board branding in one of his more recent videos: "I hate all board vendors equally because they make crap boards, they did make crap boards, or they will make crap boards... there's no one brand that consistently makes the same level of quality."

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 18, 2019

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Songbearer posted:

I've been using my HDDs from several builds across several years now and they're finally giving out. Recommend me some nice ones in the 1TB range? Non-SSD since my budget is limited.

The standards are the Seagate Barracuda and the WD Blue, both are about $45 for 1TB but this is basically because that's the base cost of making a drive. It's usually a better value to look for bigger drives because the price doesn't scale linearly. Most of the people in the NAS reddits seem to agree that 4tb and 8tb are sort of the sweet spots right now.

I've had success with Hitachi Ultrastar and Seagate Constellation drives which you can find for cheap (the 3TB drives I've been running in my NAS were had for about $50) but these are enterprise drives meant for data centers so usually don't have any sound dampening so sometimes they are very noisy. You're also much more likely to receive a refurbished drive even if the listing says "new" and even if you get a new one it won't include a manufactures warranty (usually because the drive is from like 2013). and while the big drive resellers like GoHardDrive are usually good about sending you an actually brand new one if you complain about it, you do run that risk so keep that in mind if you don't want to deal with the hassle or if you're storing critical data on these drives that you can't afford to lose (though you should be backing that up somewhere else if it's that important).

Also a tip from the NAS community is to look for external drives that are on sale, you can frequently find these for less than the cost of the bare drive and just shuck them. This does sometimes require modification to a pin on the drive which others here have more knowledge of than I do.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Heads up Micro Center has the 2700X listed for $150 which is a little higher than Black Friday but still a great deal.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Amazon has the 3600x for $199 currently as well which is a great deal.

Micro Center has the 3600 for $170, lower than Black Friday prices. 3600x is $180 which is the usual 3600 sale price. You can get a 3600 with a Tomahawk Max and 16gb of Ripjaw V 3200 CL16 RAM for ~$320. Great time to buy.

JoelJoel posted:

Is the Dell 9010 compatible with an EVGA GTX 1050ti?

If the card doesn't require any external power then almost certainly yes. If it does require dedicated power from the PSU then it's more complicated because some Optiplex's have a spare 4 or 6 pin power connector but not all of them do.
Edit: Also, the Dell linked before would require a low profile card, which you should be able to find from a XX50 series nVidia card (and the low profile ones usually don't require extra power since it's assumed this is the sort of computer it would be going into) but it is something specific you'll have to search for.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 20, 2019