Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Posted this in the old thread right before closing, bringing it over here:

Looking to replace my 10 year old i7 920 build that I re purposed two years ago to be a Plex server. I could go the route of being in a NAS, but I like building things. Here's where I'm at:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($86.22 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i chromax.black 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($76.98 @ Amazon)
External Storage: Western Digital ELEMENTS 8 TB External Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
External Storage: Western Digital ELEMENTS 8 TB External Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $833.07

Some notes:
- I'll be shucking the external HDDs to bring them internal - might even get a third to run Raid 5. I will bump them up to 10tb or 12tb but PCPartPicker didn't have the larger sizes. Either way, I don't need a HUGE amount of storage.
- I have a leftover EVGA 1050 TI SSC from my old build that I'll be throwing in this case to do GPU hardware encoding (hence the 9100F - no integrated graphic).
- I could probably go with slower RAM or a CPU but I'm not looking to cut costs extensively.
- This plex streams mostly locally for myself, my wife and then remotely for just my close family. This won't have to handled dozens of concurrent streams or anything.

What do we think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Stickman posted:

I know you said that you're not interested in cutting costs, but you could save nearly enough for another drive:

CPU Cooler: Stock is fine for your workload. There's also no reason to use an expensive low-profile cooler in a Node 304 since you have clearance for any air cooler. If you want an aftermarket cooler, a Gammaxx400 is much cheaper and would likely perform better.

Memory: 16GB is a massive overkill for NAS/plex (as is 3000MHz). 4GB would be fine, but dropping to 2x4 would save you $33.

SSD: 128/256GB would likely be sufficient for the SSD depending on what you're planning on using it for. The 240GB Corsair MP510 is $44 and the 512GB HP ex920 is $64.

That's up to $130. You could save a bit more switching to a Ryzen 1600 + ASRock B450, though you'll only have four sata ports instead of six. If you have a Microcenter nearby you can save an additional $30 with the motherboard/cpu combo (and maybe more if they agree to price-match the B450's newegg price).

I'm not a NAS/plex expert, but I suspect you could drop down to a cheaper Pentium/Athlon processor if you're using a gpu for transcoding. I've seen Xeon+ECC RAm configurations recommended before, but I'm not familiar enough with the options to make recommendations - hopefully someone can chime in.

Finally, be aware that many of the white-label drives support TLER (time-limited error recovery), but it needs to be re-enabled each boot.

Hey thank you for this! This is super helpful. Yeah, I was mostly going off of what I was already familiar with but can definitely descope the build a bunch. I've always wanted to go with an AMD, just haven't really had the opportunity. Lemme throw something together as I wouldn't mind having the option for more than 4 sata ports as the case *can* hold 6. Will I realistically need more than that? No.