Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
A few quick questions for a build I'm parting out:
- Are folks getting a gpu support bracket for their 3080/3090s?
- How do I tell if a RAM is dual-rank?
- The motherboard I'm looking at has weird differences listed in the specs for the m.2 slots:

quote:

M2_1 slot (from AMD® Processor) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processors) or PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series, Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) 2242/2260/2280 storage devices
M2_2 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™) or 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series, Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
Are these identical slots or is one better for the OS install?
- The mobo also says it has a "1x 3-pin CORSAIR connector". Some googling indicates that this is an RGB fan connector of some kind. What's the intended use for this single connector, and is there an implication for cases/fans I should be looking at given the capability?
- I'm looking to grab a Ryzen 9 5900X sometime in the next few months (on the B&H waitlist so I suppose Q2 next year is the backup). What sorts of CPU fans do folks recommend for it in an ATX form factor? I will not likely overclock (much?), but will use heavily multithreaded stats/ml workloads and will game on 1440p. Most of the CPU fans I've grabbed from partspicker trigger a warning that a special mounting bracket will need to be requested by the fan retailer for this mobo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Corsair tends to have some of the best RGB software/hardware so this doesn’t surprise me.

That can power the light of one corsair fan or I think more than one corsair RGB strip daisy chained together.

Corsair’s products use proprietary connectors.

Corsair sells something called a “node core” which is six of those ports tied to an internal USB 2.0 header.

Most people running a bunch of corsair RGB in their case have a node core that came with their case or a commander pro / node core that they purchased.

One port doesn’t seem terribly useful, more of a supplement for people that run out of the six ports on the node core.

Thanks, this is really useful for the corsair connector!

Are there ATX cases that are good with one large fan at the front that could exploit the pin? I've been looking at the Phanteks Eclipse P400A but I'm not tied to it and honestly have no idea about how to think about airflow. From what I gather, the 3080 has one fan that exhausts directly out the back and a second fan that propels hot air up into the RAM/CPU area? My computer will sit in a little desk cubby thing that is pushed pretty close to the wall but has a lot of space out the top.

I guess what I'm asking is what is a good fan design + cpu cooler for a top-venting 3080+5900x system, and does it ever make sense for one of the fans to be special (for the corsair plug)?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

OK, honing in on a build, a few parts already bought.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? 1440p gaming, scientific computing / data science (mix of 30gb-50gb highly multithreaded work and gpu-powered deep learning on smaller data sets)
What software do you need to use? R / Python / Matlab
monitor resolution / refresh rate New monitor is listed in build (1440p 144 Hz)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Adorama)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $249.99)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $249.99)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $219.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair LL120 43.25 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $379.99)

I know it's a lot of RAM but 64 gb is about the minimum I can go for my needs. The power supply is overkill but it fell into my lap after a long boring story.

My primary remaining questions pertain to the cooling setup (still).
- The case has 6 fan slots (3x120mm front, 2x top, 1x rear exhaust) and ships with "3 Digital-RGB phantek case fans" and a "Digital-RGB controller" that can be "synced to a compatible motherboard". The motherboard has 4x 4-pin system fan connectors, 2x 4-pin RGB LED connectors, and 2x 3-pin RAINBOW LED connectors. With this motherboard in this case, what is the path of least resistance to having all 6 fans under unified rgb control?. I've seen folks mention aftermarket fan controllers - the corsair 3-pack I currently have listed ships with an rgb controller, but will this work with the existing front fans that ship with the case? What happens if I have the corsair fans plugged into the corsair controller and the phantek fans left in the phantek controller? Can I "sync" them as mentioned in the phantek specs?
- Is this CPU cooler sufficient for heavy cpu workloads on a 5900x? I'm not interested in water cooling.
- Compared to pricier motherboards, the major functional difference I can see is the ALC1200 Audio Codec here (vs ALC1220 Codec). I don't do any sound engineering/recording/mixing type stuff. Will I even notice the difference in games or music?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

sean10mm posted:

That cooler is not adequate IMO, get like a D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4 tier cooler.

My 5800x has 4 fewer cores and I consider a U14S the starting point for cooling it.

Can do! D15s looks perfect.

Thoughts on the case fan situation?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Thanks all! Seems a shame to not bump up to the digital case version - 3 rgb fans for $25 seems like a steal.

I suppose one good non-rgb rear exhaust could still look pretty good? Picked the case and the mobo for top line thermal performance in their price classes, and I can always add fans later if it does run hot. What's the word on powerful and quiet 120mm exhaust?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Not especially.

It's in a decent airflow case (Meshify C) but the fans curves are all slow on purpose to keep it pretty quiet. Under load it's like 28-29db @ 1 foot from the front of the case, which is pretty unscientific since it's just a dumb noise meter phone app, but still.

None of this really matters, it's just sort of a funny oddity.

Maybe everyone is using cases like this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OupiPZybyBE

You've been a pretty consistent advocate for good CPU heatsink/fans (and saved me from going too small for mine!). This seems like maybe pretty good evidence for your Good Word here.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

So I ordered a 5900X from B&H Photo in November, and assumed it was vaporware by this point but hadn't actually canceled the order until I could land one from somewhere else. Yesterday, out of nowhere and with no explanation, they sent me the Farcry 6 code that was bundled with the order. Anybody know if the Farcry codes actually come from AMD themselves, e.g. could indicate that they have restocked?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

So I ordered a 5900X from B&H Photo in November, and assumed it was vaporware by this point but hadn't actually canceled the order until I could land one from somewhere else. Yesterday, out of nowhere and with no explanation, they sent me the Farcry 6 code that was bundled with the order. Anybody know if the Farcry codes actually come from AMD themselves, e.g. could indicate that they have restocked?

Holy poo poo, just got the shipping notice. My November 12 order is now on its way. :razz:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

After 8 months of working drops, I finally got my hands on both a CPU and GPU (at MSRP!).

I'm using a X570 Tomahawk Wifi Mobo, which has a "PCIe Steel Armor" metal reinforcement thingy around the PCI_1 slot. Should this be sufficient to support a 3080 for 5+ years without appreciable sag, or should I grab a bracket support as well?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

Which drop and how? I use Brobot to announce when drops happen but even that isn't enough to beat bots it feels like.

I ordered a 5900X from the B&H Photo backorder supreme in mid-November. I tried to send them a patient, kind, understanding email every few months, and a few days after the last one, got a notification that the CPU shipped. Ended up getting it early May.

The 3080 came from a recent BestBuy drop. I had been using the "NerdSpeak" discord for notifications for the last few months. Had accounts fully set up (with card, phone numbers etc) at Zotac, BestBuy, Amazon, and a few other spots. After about 45 lost shuffles and a dozen or so fruitless drops, I finally landed a Ventus 3X for in-store pickup last week. I think I mostly just got lucky with local inventory during the drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

AutismVaccine posted:

The pcie port was never the problem. If you want a straight card, you need to support it somewhere at the corner.
e: ATX/etc. standard really should introduce something for that

Ok. So if I'm not worried about aesthetics (it's going under my desk), and just want to avoid warping on the card or socket that could impact longevity or reliability, do I need to bother with the bracket?