Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
[Australia, Gaming, Officework. Budget ideally below AUD$1,500 / USD$1,000]

So, my current build has recently been struggling to maintain 1080@60hz for recent games like Borderlands 3 and The Division 2 (hitting like 50-55 in Div2 and ~45 in B3). I also possibly have it within my budget to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz monitor.
My original plan was just to buy a 5700XT and new monitor, but some basic research seems to indicate that my CPU might hold it back a bit? This kind of leaves me in the position of having to just overhaul my entire system which is not ideal cost-wise, and seems like a waste of an otherwise perfectly good system.

My question is, assuming that I buy a 1440@144hz monitor, what would I have to upgrade and what would I be able to keep from my current system?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX S40 54.25 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 600 W ATX Power Supply

My main concern is keeping costs reasonable without buying the cheapest poo poo out there. I have no particular brand loyalties but it seems like AMD GPUs are better value? I'm also aware that there are new GPUs due out relatively soon, so I'm happy to wait for a good deal since this is by no means an urgent upgrade.

I do plan on picking up a 1-2TB SSD soon, just shopping around for them atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

sean10mm posted:

I don't think there is enough real world difference between 3000 CL15 RAM and 3200 CL 16 RAM to care about replacing it, and it looks like your current RAM is also on the QVL for the B450 Tomahawk Max. But ram is cheap so going to 3200 or even 3600 CL16 RAM also wouldn't be that big an expense.

650W is probably just fine for the PSU too if you want to shave some cost off, but the RTX 30 series requirements are still :iiam: at the moment so I hedged on the high side.

Your current PSU only has a 2 year warranty so it needs to go.

Thanks, this was very helpful. There's actually a place near me that has 3600 CL 16 RAM for the cheapest it's ever been, so I might pick that up and reuse the 3000 in whatever Frankenstein I turn this current build into.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

tuyop posted:

What benefits are you supposed to see with 3600 RAM over 3000?

Not sure if you meant this as a general question or not, but if you're asking about my build upgrade a few posts up, I just threw it out there because it's currently like $6 more than buying 3000 again, so it seems pretty harmless to buy. I'll look into whether it's wasted on the CPU but tbh it's not much of a loss if it is.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Just seeing if anyone can see any major issues with this build before I purchase parts (Prices are in AUD).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($67.00)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($205.00)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($157.00)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($119.00)
Shipping: $39.00
Total: $886.00

- Is this cooler ok? I don't really have any preferences as to brand or anything, so happy to take suggestions.
- Is the PSU appropriate if I would like to upgrade the GPU in a few months? I may not necessarily get the next gen models, but if I do it'll be something mid-tier, not a 3080 or anything like that.
- Anyone have any experience with this case? First time building in a small case.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Coucho Marx posted:

Looks good, no complaints from me.

- The 212 is a super common cooler that sees a lot of use. As long as it comes with the universal mount for AMD use, you're good.
- Does the PSU have at least a five-year warranty? I know the Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 PSUs do. As for power, you're more than fine, a 650w would already be more than enough for like a 2080 Ti & R5 3600.
- I don't personally, but the Meshify C is one of the most commonly recommended cases in the thread, so you'll be fine.

Yes, I believe the PSU has a 5 year warranty, I don't think I really need longer than that with my current situation.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Meshify C Mini is a good case but keep in mind it has pretty much the exact same dimensions as the normal Meshify C except it's like 2 inches shorter (5 cm). You really don't save any desk space or anything, really. Might as well get the normal size and have the option to buy an ATX motherboard in the future if you need to.

I have an ATX case I'm currently using if I decide I need to go back in future, but it's a few inches too big to sit flush where I want it. The C Mini should be the exact right size for my space which is why I'm going for this mATX build.

Thank you both for the responses!

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

sandball posted:

I'm still hoping to get some opinions on this before I go and buy anything

Also may as well ask if the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI would be fine for my uses since I dunno if I really need Wifi 6 or BT5 support and this has just lesser versions of both onboard.

I use this Mobo with the 3600 with no issues. Bluetooth is range seems kind of limited, but I don't use external antennas (have connected an Xbox controller and some cheap Amazon headphones).

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Hi thread, putting together a potential parts list for my brother.
Is there any benefit to getting a B560 Mobo if I'm going to use an i5-11400F? From some research it seems like the B560 has some auto-overclocking feature, but I'm not entirely sure on other benefits.
Planning on using CL16 3200mHz RAM from whichever brand is on sale when we buy.
GPU will be my old RX 480 until something good + affordable turns up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Full modular will make the cable management part of the build a lot easier, but is by no means necessary. If you're happy to front the cost and appreciate tidiness then I'd say get it, but if you want an easy place to save money then this is it. Don't bother with semi-modular IMO, there will still be at least one spare cable you can't disconnect which kind of defeats the purpose. Just go all or nothing.